Seventeenth Page

Wishes and Dreams

 

Myungsoo treated me the same way as before even though I had admitted my feelings for him through paper. He still teased me evilly and I still hold the privilege to fight his teases. Hes not like the other type of guys who avoids the girl once they knew she's feeling sparks already. Whenever Myungsoo's being paired with Son Chaeyoung- a loyal member of the Rich and the Famous- he instantly looks at my direction and in a cocky matter, he'll ask me if I'm alright. If i'm not getting hurt from the speculations about him and Chaeyoung.

 

"Are you for real? Why do you keep on pestering me with that question, as if I have the right to say that I am not fine with the way the Boys are acting and that I'm jealous with the two of you?" I finally said when he asked me again for the umpteenth time. "And by the way, I'm fine and I'm not jealous."

 

"It is a crime to ask? I was just concerned, you know." His playful expression disappeared and was replaced by a pouting one.

 

It was afternoon and Myungsoo was busy editing our videos. It was a practical test in Arts. We needed to choose a modern pop song and make it a ballroom dance. There were five pairs in our group. You were in a different group, the one assigned to sing classical songs in a Reggae style. The Boys immediately announced me and Myungsoo as a pair. It seemed odd, considering they were so into Myungsoo and Chaeyoung, yet they were exchanging mischievous looks with each other. Maybe Myungsoo told them about what happened earlier on.

 

He sat near the door. Jiyi was watching him work. I went towards them for I was also curious as to how the dance turned out.

 

"Oh God! This will be never finished because something's missing. Something's surely missing." I heard Myungsoo say.

 

"Why? Why are you having difficulty finishing the video?" Both of them looked up when I spoke. "What's missing?"

 

I saw a smile escape Myungsoo's pale face. I looked over the laptop and saw his work on progress. Will I be considered narcissistic if I'll say we both looked good together?

 

Myungsoo motioned me to sit on the empty chair beside him.

 

"Your heart, Lee Suji." His answer felt sarcastic.

 

"What?" I asked, confused.

 

"Give me your heart, Suji-ssi. I'm going to put it inside the computer." He pointed at my chest and then at his laptop's monitor. "After I've pasted in my laptop, I'm going to reformat your heart. I'm going to delete the mighty Jungkook in your system so that your emotional status won't have any viruses anymore. So that you won't be sad anymore. So that you'll be happy."

 

I was left speechless again. All I can do was bite the insides of my cheeks. Myungsoo's words were still processing in my mind. I wanted to ask him if he was serious about his plan of deleting you in my veins. And if he can kick you out from my mind because you're stay was overdue already.

 

Jiyi squeaked, looking more flustered that I was. "Excuse me, I think you've forgotten the fact that Jungkook is not Suji's crush anymore!"

 

"Really?" Myungsoo's eyes grew wide from faked shock. "Then who is currently occupying Suji's heart?"

 

"Uh... I think it was Kwangsoo? Or was it Michael? All I knew was he kept on saying words like, 'Hyung, so?'"

 

"Oh! I've heard about this guy!" Myungsoo chimed in. "Apparently, this 'Hyung, so?' guy is good at math."

 

I laughed at the silliness of the two people beside me. It's obvious that Myungsoo already knew he was the guy Jiyi was talking about, yet they still continued to talk about this mysterious 'Hyung, so?' guy. Myungsoo even exaggerated his descriptions about himself, saying he is Korea's flower boy next door.

 

"Seriously, you're not funny." Jiyi grew tired of pretending to be a fool. She threw murderous glances to Myungsoo. "Are you that oblivious to not know up until now, after all those descriptions and bombs and stuffs I've thrown? They practically scream MYUNGSOO! And you know it yourself. So, your honor, kindly stop pretending you don't know who Suji's crush is."

 

"Who, then?"

 

"You! It's you! It's you, Lee Myungsoo!"

 

Myungsoo still looked clueless, so Jiyi stormed out of the room furiously. Our eyes followed her body slowly getting smaller until she disappeared in the hallway. For the first time, ever since I had known Myungsoo, an awkward breeze flew bye. It was suffocating, so I decided to stand up and leave, too.

 

"Was it real? Was Jiyi saying the truth?" He whispered.

 

I turned around to face him. His eyes were on the monitor, but I knew it was not on the monitor he's focusing on. I gave him a short sigh.

 

"Why? Why me? What's so special about me?"

 

Giving him an answer that will not only satisfy him but also satisfy me seemed impossible. Nonetheless, I struggled to hand him a plausible reason why, considering he has been asking me the question for the second time.

 

"You're smart. Funny. Unpredictable. You love to take risks. You're a decent man. A good friend. A good samaritan. You're good in math. You're also good in mak-"

 

"No." He raised his head to look at me. He was angry.

 

"No." He repeated. He stood up. "I am not what you think I am."

 

"Myungsoo..."

 

"Look at me, Suji. I am here," He put his left hand on his stomach, palm facing upwards. "But you are here." He positioned his right hand above his head. "There's a huge gap between the two of us. You're a woman made with a very high standard."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"You are out of my league. If our well-beings in life will be floors on buildings, I'm on the 15th floor of a 21-storey building, and you're on the twenty-first. I'm sorry, but I'm a coward. I'd prefer someone who's on a floor lower than me. I can't climb up. Suji," he grabbed my trembling hands and wrapped his around it. "You can like who ever you want, except me. Choose who ever, as long as it is not me. I don't deserve you. You're too good for me."

 

My vision was turning blurry. I fought the urge to sob, especially when I saw the glistening moisture threatening to fall on Myungsoo's eyes.

 

"I'm very sorry Suji, for what I have done. I never thought- I'm sorry. I'm sorry it reached this point. I never knew it'll be this fast. If I only knew.... I didn't..."

 

It was his turn to be rendered speechless. The blabber-mouthed Myungsoo ran out of words to say. I was still digesting the truth of me being rejected for the first time, from my first confession.

 

"Hey, you seem like you're in a daze."

 

His mood suddenly shifted, as if he had a switch inside him that switches to his carefree attitude. He was daring make fun of me; the persona of him who was so close to crying a while ago vanished into thin air.

 

"Are you thinking about your crush?" I remained silent. He dropped my hands. His face was turning into a smile. "Don't worry. He loves you."

 

 

I felt my heart stop to beat. I heard it crack. I sensed the crack rapidly growing in size, until it was able to tear my heart away from the lungs holding it close. Then it broke into small pieces.

 

 

"Wait. I'm your crush, right?" He smacked his forehead. Myungsoo laughed at his own realization.

 

His laugh sounded like a nail scratching against the board to me. It sounded annoying.

 

"There you go again!" I tried to sound mad, but the faltering of my voice betrayed me.

 

He promptly stopped laughing. "What?"

 

"There you go again! You're telling me to go away from you but in a second you're telling me things that'll take my breath away. There you go again, giving me mixed signals. There you go again, making think that I have a chance!"

 

"Bingo!" I wanted him to be taken aback, yet he acted differently. Instead, he was enthusiastically clapping his hands. "Finally, you noticed! Yes, you are right, Suji. I'm a jerk. I tend to give mixed signals. I am confusing. I am undecipherable. You could never understand me. This is the real me. I'm a douchebag, and you're perfect. I'm a brandless recyclable grocery bag, you're a limited edition Hermes bag. We could, and would never click. I'm going to-"

 

I didn't had the strength to listen to him compare the two of us anymore, I left him. I didn't want to listen to him state the reasons why there could never be an us, I ran away. I didn't wish to see him utter those words to me, so I continued to ran away. I didn't desire to accept that he won't go up for me, so I ran faster.

 

I kept on running, it didn't matter to me where my feet were taking me. I only stopped when I was at the rooftop of the building. My legs collapsed, and I needed to hold the wall to keep myself from stumbling. I closed my eyes to control my breathing.

 

Although I had my eyes closed, I knew who was walking towards me.

 

"Thank God I found you." Minseo cheered. "We need to talk. I need to tell you something, Lee Suji!"

 

"Me too. Me too, Minseo."