Fifth Page

Wishes and Dreams

We became seatmates for one month when we were in Grade 11.  Our adviser told us the secretary will be assigned to choose our seating arrangement instead of her. No one else probably knows about this, but I secretly convinced our class secretary to make us seatmates. Then, I went to the library so I can pretend I didn't do anything regarding it. To make everyone assume I was innocent.

 

Only when the bell rang did I went back to our room. I went inside and asked as to where I'll be sitting from then on. I made sure you were already there sitting before I did my drama. I gave them a loud 'What?', as if I didn't know I'll be sitting beside you. I tried to make shocked faces. It's not hard to do, considering I was coined as the best actress in our room, right?

 

Yet it was a gamble for me. Maybe you'll join me in all of my denials. Maybe you'll also point out to them a conspiracy could have happened and it's not fair for both of us. Then all my hardwork won't be fruitful. Fortunately, they told me you were fine with the arrangement so I should not complain. I cheered for victory in my mind.

 

On the first day that we became seatmates, we completely ignored each other. On the second day, we began to acknowledge each other's presence by simply catching one contact. After a week, we were able to talk. I still remember that day you talked to me for the first time ever since. You offered to share your Economics book to me because I left mine at home. Finally, I said to myself, we are finally communicating.

 

Days went past with us comfortably talking to each other. Even though it was not like the past, I was contented. At least, we were interacting. Those days were the peak of my grades. I don't have any absences or tardiness. I also studied harder, afraid I might have a low score and shame myself in front of you. I tried making myself presentable. It only happens once in my whole life, so I might as well make the best out of it.

 

My stomach clenches whenever we listen to the teacher discuss. It's because you intentionally put your face close to mine so you can have a better view. Yuna, who was sitting behind me, was even making fun of me that time. She told me that if I'll just move my head towards your direction, we'll be kissing because of the close distance. I get butterflies whenever you do it.

 

I can feel your hot breath in my neck. I can also smell your men's perfume that smells like a women's for its sweet smell. Our arms or sometimes wrists are also touching. I can see you up close, to the point where I can see your open pores and black heads. You used to have black heads on top of your nose.

 

I know that my days are counted. I only have one month. After it, we're going to have a different seating arrangement. That's why for me, every second together with you must be etched in my memory.

 

Can you still recall the Harry Potter spells? Out of the blue, you asked me to teach you any spell. I had trouble remembering. I read the book a long time ago. I told you that. Then after several minutes I remembered one. Wingardium leviosa. I shouted the spell, making you jump. I told you back then it was a spell used to making something fly in the air. We were laughing even though someone was presenting in front of us because you don't know where to put the rise and falling intonation of that spell.

 

We were like Hermione and Ron back then.

 

Sadly we didn't work out like them.

 

The last days of us being seatmates were bittersweet. It was the loneliest and happiest moment of the year. We had an activity in History class. It was by pair, and the pairing is determined by the seating arrangement. We were seatmates so we had no choice but to become a pair. We were tasked to draw anything that for us symbolizes the World War II. We'll be presenting it in front. Each pair also need to act out a cheesy line for added entertainment.

 

We decided to draw a gun. We agreed on it for a gun isn't not just a popular weapon back then, but also because of its capability to kill or save a life at the same time. Our pick-up line, which I made, was supposed to be like: You're going to ask our adviser, "If I'm Japan, you're the atomic bomb." Then she'll go and say, "Why?" You'll answer her by saying, "Because the moment you entered my atmosphere, you wrecked my heart."

 

Then we'll bow together and go back to our seats.

 

I confidently said my memorized explanation about the drawing in the bondpaper we were currently holding. I smiled while waiting for you to speak. My jaw hurt from smiling too long, but you never said a word. Your classmates were looking you expectantly. I thought maybe you forgot your lines so I decided to look at you.

 

I wished I never did it.

 

You were staring at me. You looked so serious my cheeks began to redden. "Suji-ssi." My eyes almost popped out after hearing you utter those words. It was the only time you said only my name. You used to say my full name. It reminded me of the past. "Can we be like McArthur?"

 

That's not what's in the script. I don't know what you were blabbering. I never told you about it. You told me that my line was pretty good, so why did you change it? Why did you change it and make my pulse quicken? Did you change it to confuse me?

 

I remembered that we were in a graded oral recitation so I looked for my voice and said, "Why?"

 

You stepped forward, closing the gap between the two of us. Our project was sticking weirdly, my only barrier against you. I never wanted to look, but your gaze on me told me I needed to. You didn't blink, nor were you nervous. You looked proud while saying:

 

"Let's be like McArthur who fulfilled his promise. We shall return to each other's arms."