The Last Breath

The Five Dynasties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Apologies for the super long wait - here is the final installment of The Final Dynasties. 

 

 

 

And as he held her in his arms, she breathed her final breath.

----------------------------------

 

“How do we defeat him? Last time we all-” Kris didn’t need to finish his sentence. We all knew what happened last time we faced Heian. They barely stopped him, and even then it took all their lives to do so.

 

“Last time we didn’t know what he was capable off. What do you think the king of shadows hates the most?” She popped the question, leaning against the back of the couch. Chanyeol had his legs draped over hers and he was playing intently with her hair. Chen and Xiumin lounged on the floor in front of her and she, herself, was fiddling with his hair. Xiumin was nodding off, and he had every right to do so. They were all exhausted, emotionally and physically.

 

“Light. Light burns away the shadows.” Kai stated, his head leaned back. She nodded. All eyes fell on Baekhyun.

 

“What? My light didn’t work last time, none of ours did.”

“Well... It’s not light exactly. Last time, we thought Heian and I were opposites. But we aren’t, we are more similar than we are different. The opposite of Heian is you guys, is us. He stands alone but we stand together. He is one, he is alone. But we are one, we are one together. You know what the say, a wolf is nothing without a pack.” They nodded, but none were convinced by her words. She didn’t expect them to be. The last battle ended with all their deaths, this time hopefully it would end with none. Defeating Heian took many lives, it took all their power to defeat him. Last battle, they had an army. This time they had none. The odds were against them. It was thirteen against an entire army and a ruthless, cold blooded beast.

 

“My mother visited me in a dream. She told me, my strength was loyalty. At first I did not understand. But now I do,” She paused, eyes trailing across them all before resting on Chanyeol. “Loyalty is our strength. My power is your power, literally. You see last time, we fought individually, we attacked him with only our own powers. But not our powers combined. Loyalty and love are so very similar, they are togetherness. And we are stronger together. So it got me thinking, and what if we literally took him down together. We attacked him with all we have at the same time. I think, that when the forces become one something amazing and powerful will happen. And it will be powerful enough to take him down.”

 

They looked the tiniest bit more convinced. Kris even cracked a smile, his eyes bright. “This would make for a great fairytale.”

“If we succeed.” Xiumin added grimly. Chen kicked him.

 

“When we succeed.”

 

Right, she thought, when we succeed.

 

The roar of the battle rushed around her. Her body dodged, ducked, and attacked at everything in her way, everything that posed a threat to her. Chanyeol fought by her side. His flames hot and precise. Stronger together… ran through her mind over and over as she fought. As she used the powers of her friends. As she sustained minor injuries. As she stepped over unbreathing bodies. As she watched blood trickle down Chen’s forehead. As she watched Kai scream out in pain. As she watched Suho grunt, and Kris run to his side. As she watched Lay dart to his injured friends.

 

Heian stood back from the battle, watching with a smirk. Rage raced through her veins at just the sight of them. Heian yet again to spread his dark shadows to spread malice and grief and death like he did all those lives ago. He comes to destroy more. And they come again to stop him. Though, they would stop him forever or fall trying. If they were unsuccessful they would fall like flies after putting all their power into one strike. But if they succeed, only one fly would fall.

 

She jumped back to let Chanyeol unleash hot blue flames upon rebels. She tried not to look at their faces but she couldn’t help it. She memorized them all. Each face, every detail, from the details in their irises to the freckles on their nose, to the curve of their nose. She remembered them all. It wasn’t until she kicked down a woman, only a few years her elder, that she recognized someone she knew. It was Jin, a friend of V’s and Kookies, and member of the gang Bts. His nose was bleeding. He must’ve gotten injured on the way into the school. His left eye was started to get swollen and painted in purple and yellow. Though she never liked Jin and his lot, she couldn’t help but feel a wave of hurt, guilt, pity, and grief as she met his grief-stricken eyes. Why wouldn’t he be grieving? Two of his closest friends were dead. Jin started toward her, quicker than she anticipated.

 

“Save me,” He whispered, a tear running down his broken face. “Save me from him.”

She froze. There was so much sadness in his voice, and it dripped with desperation. He clutched onto her arm, so tight it hurt. She swallowed a grunt of pain. His eyes, that used to be bright, were pleading with her, darkened by the dark that came with Heian. She felt pity for him. Pity for all the rebels around her, fighting for a world blanketed in shadows and death. They did not know her brother like she did. They did not know what he is capable of. They meddled with something they knew nothing of.

 

“Run, run far away from here.” She took hold of his shoulders, meeting his terrified eyes. Go get your family, your friends family and hide. Try and find your friends, if you can. Go into hiding until the battle is done. And if we haven’t won...:” She faltered. Just the idea of what would happen made her hands tremble. “Leave this place, for good. And never look back.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter