The Chosen Twelve & Whispered Prophecies

The Five Dynasties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shui stood still on an icy hill. Long and silver hair with curls like mine danced in the wind. Just like before. My feet, hidden under a hanbok, moved toward her. Frozen land was all I could see. Yuki stood, a white tiger, by my side. Something told me she wouldn’t talk.

“Areum.”

“How do you know my name?”

“I know all your names child. Meizhen, Jinri…I know them all.”

“Those aren’t my names.”

“But they are. Many lives means many names, my dear.”

I fell silent. What was she talking about?

“Your dreams. Your dreams are real. They are memories. You have been alive for centuries, so has Zian. You are a guardian Areum. The last guardian.”

Shui smiled tenderly down at me, I thought I caught a glimpse of sorrow in her eyes.

“Why did you accept the Zhangs so easily?”

“Probably because I craved a biological family.”

“Wrong. You have known the Zhangs since you were born. Jiao Zhang was my best friend; she was one of the first Zhangs. In your first life the Zhangs were family.”

I let it sink in. In all honesty, there was no explanation as to why I so quickly I accepted the royal world and the Zhangs.

“You weren’t that surprised about being a royal because deep down you knew what you were. The 12 great forces lay dormant in their selected hosts. The 13th force, it is tied to this body. Every time you die, you get reincarnated in the exact same body.”

“My body is tied with the 13th force…since the force is eternal my body is eternal? I am sort of immortal?”

“Yes, it is complicated isn’t it? I tend to not question Xingzhi’s (Nature’s) ways.” Shui smirked, amused by memories unknown to me. There was one thing that bothered me though.

“What is the 13th force anyway?”

“Loyalty.”

“That isn’t a power though.”

“Oh but it is, each force represents something child. Not a power but a trait. That is how they chose their hosts. They looked for the trait that is the most important to them. You will figure all this out in time, I know you will. In the meantime, finish the legends of the three nations. It was written by a close friend of mine, Zhang Meilien. Now ask away.”

“Are you my real mother? Did you…give birth to me? How was I born?”

“I am, I did give birth to you. In a lake, the lotus lake, every time you die you float up from the lake and rest on a lily pad until someone finds you. Lotuses surround you, protecting you like I asked.”

I went to ask another question-questions. She hushed me.

“Now listen dear, I do not have much time left. “

I shut my mouth, seeing that Shui was serious.

“You are the only Nushen, my daughter. You are the one they fear the most. You are the one that can destroy them. You have the power of 12, my dear. You have a strong heart. Don’t forget that. And don’t be afraid of being cold, sometimes to win a war we must forget the past.”

Is she talking about my human family?

Does she want be to forget them?

Being cold…Adela is no longer important to me. My Adela is...

It hit me then, as strong as a hurricane and as sure as a tidal wave. I knew what she meant. I understood her words. I agreed with her words.

“Dark times are coming child. It is your job to lead the people through the darkness and to the light. Do the job I can no longer do, protect our people.”

  Shui’s face blurred, as if her eyes unfocused for a moment. She came in and out of focus.

“What’s going on?”

Shui shrunk, as if my eyes were cameras and I was zooming out. The last thing I saw was her smile and eyes full of love. She is my real mother. Kilin and Jin lied.

“That is your duty as my daughter, Areum. You are our people’s last guardian, last hope.” Her clear voice echoed across the hills.

“Wait! I don’t understand. What do you-“

“I love you, Areum.” She said, a soft whisper that warmed Areum to the bone. Even though she stood in a frozen field. I stopped chasing her.

 

“I love you too…Mama”

 

-----------------------

 

I saw a flame, burning bright in the air. It stood out against the black that surrounded us. A small bird made of flames emerged from the small fire. A sharp shriek came from its mouth. Mismatched flaming eyes, one blue and one gold, bored into me. Another shriek came from its mouth, this time it sounded like a word. I felt drawn to the burning flame. As I took a step forward I froze.

 

 

I could hear water running behind me, I turned. I saw a sphere of water, moving in constant motion. A dragon (East-Asian Styles) swam, swirling in a circle. Its dark blue-green scales seemed to glow subtly. Its claws and hair glowed a brighter, paler blue. Its eyes were silver-blue and startlingly vivid. They taunted me to come and swim in its water.

 

Wind blew past me. I looked in its direction. A tornado, small enough to fit on my hand, twirled. It twirled and swirled in a constant circle. I saw a butterfly fluttering in the middle; black lines separated the colours on its wing. I tdidn’t seemed to mind the raging tornado surrounding. In fact it looked calm and ready, like it was in its element. How beautiful-

 

  Thunder crackled, startling me. A small thunderstorm sprinkled water. Mini lightning bolts striking at the blackness that surrounded me. I didn’t know if it was my imagination but I thought I saw a silhouette of a lion rumbling in the grey clouds.

 

Next came the chirping, soft and subtle and calming. A creature with the head of an owl and the body of a griffin strutted in circles. It was smaller than the other creatures and adorable. It sniffed and pecked at its wings, looking around curiously. It started at the story cloud with intent interest. I would pet it but it gave off a silently lethal vibe. Its head tilted to the side, for a second I saw D.O in this small creature. They’re both small and squishy yet has the same subtle deadly aura.

 

  The next thing I saw was a glass sand timer. Silver sand fell from the top and sprinkled on a growing pile. A snake, with golden skin, curled up from the sand, it stared at me with dark black eyes. It hissed, a black tongue and pointed fangs as white as pearls stuck out its mouth. It challenged me, taunted me to come closer. I backed away and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter