My Friend...

That Words...


Jiyong surprisingly shocked when they have been surrounded by female students when they are heading to the library that day. He glanced at Yongbae with a puzzled look. Yongbae doesn’t seems care much with the people bustling around him. His smile never fade away. But unlike Yongbae, Jiyong feels so annoyed when hear all the loud voice screaming historically once they passed by. Jiyong feels so much relieved after they entered the library but he still can see some of the girls whispering with each other while pointing at them.
 
“Not bad, huh?” said Jiyong while landed himself on the chair.
Yongbae look at him, questioning.
“You seems very popular here.” answered Jiyong, realized that Yongbae is waiting for his answered.
Yongbae just smile. “What is important of being popular, if we’re keep on being lonely?” he said.
“Lonely? Who? You? Why? Don’t tell me that you didn’t have anyone here. The person who are as perfect as you don’t have anyone? It’s must be a joke.” said Jiyong in disbelief.
Yongbae still smiling, nod his head in rhythm to strengthen the statement, “Yes, it’s must be a joke to everyone, but it’s true…” he explained.
“I see…” Jiyong staring at Yongbae after spit that words. Yongbae head up when he feels that pair of eyes still focusing on him.
“Yahhh…why are you looking me like that? Do you think that I am so pathetic?” asked Yongbae, feeling uncomfortable.
“No..I don’t say anything.” answered Jiyong shrugging after realized his action.
“But…Yongbae ah. Why don’t you have anyone? It’s weird.  I can see how the girls have been crazy for you  just now. There must be someone who is perfect to be your partner..I mean your girlfriend.”Asked Jiyong still doubting Yongbae’s single status.
“That is because I don’t really like the girl who are too outspoken like most of them….Telling the truth, my heart has been knocked by someone, but I think we’re never mean to be. So, I choose to be alone.” answered Yongbae. The smile faded.
“The person who doesn’t know how to appreciate you must be in a great loss.” said Jiyong while throwing a wide smile.
“Huh..nothing special about me to be offered. Only you are the one who are willing to sit beside me and until now I don’t know what is the reason?” said Yongbae while smirking toward Jiyong.
“Why not? You’re handsome, clever, nice guy and you are also funny. I don’t understand why people let you sit alone.” answered Jiyong honest.
“Ok..that’s enough. You are praising me too much.” Yongbae smile. Even though he knows that Jiyong just speak nonsense, but deep in his heart he loves to hear it because from what he had remembered, there is no one ever mention nice things about him. That makes him feels very grateful having Jiyong as his friend.
 
They stay in the library with a silence after they have been warning by the staff. Both of them focusing on their notes which they gather from some of the reference books. With their difference strength in subjects, each of them find it is really useful to study together to get better understanding on the things that they don’t really get in the class. Yongbae, even though he is a good student, who are always get a good grades but he quite weak in math. While Jiyong in the other hand, really into math because he loves everything which is relates with calculations, but he is lacking in English. So that, he usually refers to Yongbae if he doesn’t understand the meaning of the word and learn to pronounce it in a proper way. The way Yongbae pronounce English words make Jiyong doubting his region because it sounded so perfect for Korean people like him.
 
They have been friend almost three weeks since Jiyong transferred to the class, but there are a lots of things that they still don’t know about each other. They never tell about their family background and both of them doesn’t care to ask. They only meet at the college, spend time together from morning, and parted in front of the college gate when it’s already sunset. Yongbae heading to the right and Jiyong heading to the left. That is the way they waving their goodbyes within those three weeks. Regarding Dara, since Yongbae had been introduced to her, he never try to wait for her at the cafeteria or even at the library. Since the first meeting, Yongbae only meet Dara twice, just because he accompany Jiyong and as what he had been observed, Jiyong only meet with Dara two times a week, having lunch together and sometimes having a little chat while they meet at the hallway. Sometimes, Yongbae curious about their relationship. The way they talk to each other, not really portray their relationship as a lover, they are more casual than having romantic chat or whatsoever like normal couple always have. But, because of the skin ships those two always have, on how Dara’s hand seems naturally landing on Jiyongs laps when they sitting next to each other, on how Jiyong fingers caressing Dara’s hair when it covers her eyes, Yongbae just believed that they are together. Rather than voice out his curiosity about their relationship, he choose to make silence assumption by himself.
 
********************************
 
Have been two days Jiyong absent from the class and Yongbae doesn’t have any idea where he is. He never feels worry like this before, since he always being alone and doesn’t has anyone for him to care much. But Jiyong already become his friend even though they are not close enough, however without Jiyong, more or less Yongbae still can feels the emptiness.
 
“Hey..Yongbae ah! Do you know where is Jiyong? Why he doesn’t come to the class?” asked his lecturer. But what Yongbae can give is only a silence answer.
“What type of friend are you? How come you didn’t  know where is your friend go?” asked Seungri, the loudest student in the class, while smirking annoyingly toward Yongbae. Yongbae only shoot the annoyed glares toward Seungri. He never wish to say anything to that person. Seungri is one of the person who is always mocking him, make fun about his loneliness, the reason of all the student threat him like that also because of that guy. Yongbae never knows what makes Seungri holds a grudge toward him. But once his mouth open, only harsh words will be spit out. Sometimes it makes Yongbae lose his temper but he knows that person is just wasted his time on talking, so he keep on acting cold and keep his mouth shut.
 
Yongbae sitting alone in the cafeteria while gazing his phone screen. He realized that he never asked Jiyong about his phone number, and he also never give his number to Jiyong. Now, he knows why is important for a person to exchange their number for. Since he never has a close friend, so it doesn’t really important for him to keep their number in his phone. His phone only consist a few numbers in the contact list, his parents, his brother, a few of his lecturers, one or two taxi service, the food restaurants, bookstores and the number which he doesn’t really remember what is it for. He released a heavy sighed before he heard someone calling his name from far. He looks around, try to search the source of the voice that call his name. In a peak hour like this, the cafeteria has already been fill up by the students who are rushing to have their lunch.
 
“Sorry, excuse me…Yongbae!..Yongbae…ops..sorry...sorry..excuse me..aishh..Yongbae!”
 
Yongbae carving a smile when he saw Dara squeezing herself try to pass by the crowd that blocking her way. With a petite and slander body like her make it difficult for her to get attention among the tall people around her. She inhales a deep breath after she successful step out from the crowds and quickly run towards Yongbae. Yongbae sitting straight, try to be calm even though his heart start to flustered when Dara walk closer.
 
“Hi!..Sorry if I interrupting you.” greeted Dara.
“It’s ok, but Jiyong isn’t here.” answered Yongbae.
“Eh?...owh, I know. He’s not feeling well. Now he is resting at home. Actually that is the reason I try to find you here. Jiyong asked me to tell you that he can’t attend the class. He said that he don’t have your phone number and forgot to get the lecturer’s number as well. Yesterday I had waited for you here to tell you this, but I can’t found you anywhere.” explained Dara.
“What happened to Jiyong?” Yongbae seems worried.
“Don’t worry, not so serious. He got a fever after drenched in the rain on the way back home. From his childhood, that baby boy really has a low immune system.” Dara smile try to comfort Yongbae.
“So, how is he right now?” Yongbae keep asking.
“No wonder Jiyong said you are special. You seems like a very nice person after all. If you want to visit him this afternoon, I’ll wait for you at the gate around 5.00pm. I have to go. My class is about to start. See you later Yongbae.” Dara already lost in the crowds before Yongbae manage to say anything. He also forgot to ask Jiyong’s phone number since Dara leaved so quick that make him startled.
 
When he realized what is going on, his smile slowly appeared. Not sure what is the feeling that he holds right now. But what is he sure about is having a friend really bring a great feeling.

"5.00pm..in front of the gate." With smile still plastered on his lips, he walk to the classroom.