Fate...

That Words...

Yongbae entered the building with calm, try to hide his fluttery heart. The language barrier between Korean and Japanese makes him a bit nervous. Even though he can speak fluently in English but he also been prepared with a small Japanese dictionary that became his companion since he arrived in this country. He slowly approaching the office reception to ask for a guide. When the receptionist greet him in English, Yongbae feels relieved and he managed to find the right place for him to report his duty.

 

“Welcome Mr. Dong. Nice to meet you. I’m Lee Soo Hyuk. I’m glad that you are finally came. Please have a sit.” Yongbae had been greeted by a very attractive young guy who is smiling brightly toward him. But what makes Yongbae feels more comfortable about is when that guy speaks Korean. “This is so much relieves.” he thought silently.

“Hi, thank you for offering me this position. To be honest, I don’t have much experience in this field since that I’m  just graduate. But, I will give my best.” said Yongbae being polite.

“I know you will. Actually I heard so much compliments about you from your supervisor. That makes me eager to know you better.” said that guy.

“Owh really? I don’t know what to say. Anyway thank you.” said Yongbae being shy.

“I think you have done some research about this position. You will be responsible in supervising the process of creating, developing and presenting for fashion department and it will also varied and may hold several responsibilities which you can understand once you get into this job. But, don’t worry. Here, we work as a family so don’t be so tense hearing this. Hold on for a second.” The young guy press his intercom and ask his secretary call for someone. Yongbae just sit there silently, waiting.
 

A minute later, there is another young guy with cheerful appearance knocking and entering the room. Yongbae look at him and can’t help from smiling back towards the person.

“So Yongbae. This is Kang Daesung. He also a fashion editor like you. He will explain to you about the task and I hope both of you can work together to produce a great works.” said the manager.

“Hi, nice to meet you. I’m Kang Daesung. But you can just call me Daesung. I’m more comfortable with it. Welcome to our company.” greeted Daesung while smiling brightly.

“Hello, I’m Dong Yongbae. You can call me Yongbae. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” replied Yongbae while sharing the handshake with him.

“Daesung, won’t you mind to show Yongbae his place?” asked Soo Hyuk towards Daesung.

“Ok, why not. Let me show your place.” said Daesung and gesture Yongbae to follow him.

“ Yongbae, welcome again. We will have another conversation again later.” Soo Hyuk lend his handshake towards Yongbae.

“Thank you Mr. Lee. Nice to meet you.” said Yongbae before heading to the door that already open by Daesung.

 

 

“Are you from Korea?” asked Yongbae to Daesung.

“Mmm…actually this company is Korean company. That is why you can see there are so many Korean workers here. By the way, have we met before? Your face looks familiar.” asked Daesung suddenly.

“Eh? I don’t think so. This is my first time being here.” said Yongbae with smile.

“Really? But I feels like I had seen you somewhere.” said Daesung.

“Maybe it’s just some who looks like me.” answered Yongbae.

“Erm…maybe. Ok Yongbae, This is your work station and there is mine, just opposite of you. Have a sit.” Said Daesung. “Owh..Should I introduce you to all the staff first?” he added.

“Yes, I think it’s better.” said Yongbae than follow Daesung to greet other workers.

 

*************************************

 

For the first whole week, Yongbae had been exposed with some basic tasks. Everyone seems friendly toward each other that makes him doesn’t feels awkward at all. Daesung has been very helpful with his job and he start to understand the flows.  Mr. Lee also such a great leader in Yongbae’s point of view because he blended well with workers and his charm makes people respect him more.

 

Everyone start busy doing preparation for upcoming event, so does Yongbae, which makes him doesn’t realized the day just passed by like that. He works really hard for his first project and often stay up late to finish his works. It’s already 11.00 pm. Yongbae sitting alone in his work station focusing on his project.

“Yongbae, are you still there?” Yongbae stumble in shock when his manager tapping his shoulder in sudden.

“Owh, sorry. Did I surprised you? You must have been work too hard. Have you eaten, Yongbae? Let’s go, we should find something to eat. Just leave that thing for tomorrow.” asked Soo Hyuk  in concerned.

“Owh..it’s ok, Sir. I will grab something on my way back home.” said Yongbae lying. It’s have been a few days he doesn’t eat properly. He always missed his dinner when he work until late at night.

“Come on. I’m insist. I don’t want my worker getting sick within crucial period like this.” Yongbae can’t  refused any more when that guy grab his arm and dragged Yongbae with him. He just follow with silent.

 

“How old are you, Yongbae?” asked Soo Hyuk when they sit together in the car.

“I’m 26 this year, Sir” said Yongbae directly.

“Owh…that means we had shared the same years. Please drop that honorific with me at this hour. Since we are in the same age, maybe we could be friend. I don’t have so much friends, so having more people around could be nicer.” said Soo Hyuk being friendly. “You can call me Soo Hyuk. I don’t mind.” he added with smile. Yongbae just nodded, but calling his superior like a close friend still not easy for him.

 

They arrived at the yakitori restaurant which is not too far from their office. Yongbae looks around. It’s already late at night but the street still busy with people who want to fill their hunger after spend their days at work. Yongbae just follow Soo Hyuk from behind.

“This is my favorite spot when I want to have something simple for late dinner.” express Soo Hyuk when they entered the place. “Have you come here, Yongbae?” he asked.

“No. This is my first time. Actually I still didn’t get the chance to survey this place. As you know, my Japanese isn’t that good. So, I prefer just stay at home.” explained Yongbae.

“If you want to learn Japanese, you can request. Our company do provide the training. Moreover, it’s an advantage if you know Japanese as well.” adviced Soo Hyuk before his phone suddenly ringing and he quickly answered.

“Hello? Have you returned? I’m here, at the usual spot. Okey, I’ll wait for you..Hurry.” he said and ended the call. “My friend is coming. He is in charge of marketing and just returned from Korea. Lucky you because you can get to know him.” said Soo Hyuk and Yongbae just nodded his head.

 

They enjoyed their meal together while chatting about various of topics until someone greets them from behind.

“Hey, What’s up? Long time no see. I miss you.” Yongbae take a glance toward the person that Mr. Lee hug while laughing cheerfully. That person’s face is hidden because of their position. “They must be close.” thought Yongbae by himself and he waits patiently until the two of them released from the hug.

“Here, let me introduce our new Fashion Editor. He just report his duty last weeks. So, both of you will be working together for that project. Yongbae, this is Kwon Jiyong. Marketing Manager for that event, and Jiyong, this is Dong Yongbae, as I mention he is a Fashion Editor that will be assisting you in the future.” said Soo Hyuk without noticed that both of them are startled in silence.

“Hey, are you both listening? Jiyong, what’s wrong?” asked Soo Hyuk while caressing Jiyong shoulder.

Yongbae slowly lend his hand for a handshake. “Hi, I’m Dong Yongbae. Nice to meet you.” he said with a shaky voice. Jiyong still staring at him with silent but slowly return the handshake. Jiyong can’t help himself from holding that hand for a while. His heart beating so fast when both of their hand link together and their eyes glued toward each other.

“Hey Jiyong. What’s wrong with you?” asked Soo Hyuk once again. Jiyong release their hand when Soo Hyuk pull him to sit.

Yongbae stay silent. There are various of thought start to pop up in his mind when seeing the two person in front of him. Soo Hyuk’s hand still holding onto Jiyong’s shoulder and Yongbae try to act as he doesn’t care. Soo Hyuk in the other hand, who doesn’t know anything keep talking and Yongbae could see Jiyong didn’t really react to it. Yongbae finish his plate hurriedly. He need to leaved that place as soon as possible.

“Sorry Mr. Lee,  I think it’s time for me to go home. Thank you for this meal. See you again tomorrow.” Yongbae excused himself and just nodded towards Jiyong without looking at him.

 

After leaving that place, Yongbae walking along the path with his head full with the thought of Jiyong. “I never expect I could meet him like this. So, what about that guy? Don’t tell me they are in a relationship. It has been three years, anything could be possible. But why my heart beating so fast. Why do I have to be jealous seeing that guy linking his arm around Jiyong? Did Jiyong still have feeling towards a guy? This is not what I’ve been expecting.” thought Yongbae silently. Yongbae hold a cab. While he struggle to explain his address towards the taxi driver, Jiyong approaching from behind and explain it in Japanese. Yongbae startled. Both of them sitting in the same cab without saying anything. But, it’s doesn’t last long.

“Hi, I’m Kwon Jiyong. You can call me Jiyong or if you want to call me handsome, it also can.” said Jiyong suddenly while lend his hand.

Yongbae just staring at him then slowly reaching Jiyong’s hand. “Hi…I’m Dong Yongbae.  You can call me Yongbae and don’t you ever call me handsome. They both release a chuckle when their hand holding each other.

“It’s been so long, Yongbae ah. How are you?” asked Jiyong with calm.

“I’m great. How about you?” asked Yongbae in returned.

“It’s hard….” said Jiyong, which makes Yongbae lost his words.

The cab finally reached Yongbae’s apartment. Yongbae quickly get out from the cab while Jiyong doesn’t seems to move. Yongbae turns around, to look over Jiyong.

“Ermm…won’t you coming?” asked Yongbae a bit flutter.

“Can I?” asked Jiyong locking his gaze towards Yongbae’s reaction.

Yongbae just nodded his head. Jiyong doesn’t wait any longer when he saw that gesture. He quickly jump out from the cab and follow Yongbae to his apartment. There is an awkward silent between both of them while they walk along the corridor until they reached the front door. Jiyong noticed that Yongbae’s hand a bit shaky while he slot in the keys. He could understand why Yongbae being like that, because he himself still trembling with his own feeling when they are now together in the same place for the first time after their long separation.

 

Yongbae directly heading to the kitchen and bring out two cans of soda from the fridge and walk towards Jiyong who is already sit in the living room.

“Sorry, I only got this in my fridge.” he said while giving it to Jiyong.

“It’s ok..” Jiyong hold that drinks and put it on the table.

“So, you works here now? I was really shocked when Soo Hyuk introduced you. I thought I saw it wrongly.” said Jiyong try to start the conversation.

“Mmm..It happened that way. I was surprised too. I didn’t expect to meet you this sudden.” said Yongbae.

“I’m sorry.” said Jiyong.

“Why do you have to be sorry? I don’t say it was a bad thing.” said Yongbae while staring directly towards Jiyong. He gazing every inch of Jiyong appearance, from his head until his toe. “His style totally change..” thought Yongbae in his mind. But suddenly his mind recalled about Jiyong and Soo Hyuk which makes him released a heavy sigh out of nowhere.

“So, I guess you and Soo Hyuk must be close toward each other, right?” the words finally spit out from his mouth. Jiyong look at him in confused. “What? Owh..we’ve been friend since university. Yes, we’re both quite close.” said Jiyong being honest without realized the changes on Yongbae’s reaction. “Eh..but it is not like what you think it is.” said Jiyong in panic when noticed Yongbae’s gloomy face.

“Ahh…It’s already late. I think it’s better if I take a leave. By the way, thank you for inviting me here.”  Jiyong quickly get up from the sofa and heading to the front door. He doesn’t know how to react anymore. His trembling heart is killing him. He doesn’t know why he has to feel like this. He is afraid he could be a burden to Yongbae, so he decided to leave that place. However, before he manage to open the door, Yongbae already grab his wrist from behind.

“Jiyong, wait!!!”