Behind the Story 1:

That Words...

(YONGBAE > SEUNGHYUN)

Yongbae, 15 years old student, known as a shy guy in his school but always think well of people. Bringing the positive aura everywhere he goes and always brighten up others mood by his smile but always being alone by himself. He got many friend but he still doesn’t find someone that really can be consider as a best friend, someone who can match with his passive attitudes. As being a shy guy, his school mates always playing a prank on him and he doesn’t fight it back. There were some students try to fight on his behalf but had been treated badly after that. Because of that, Yongbae just decided to be alone so that no one will get hurt because of him.

The weather is so perfect that day. He spent his time in the park while practicing his skateboarding skills, one of his favorite hobby. While skating freely along the path provided, Yongbae suddenly lose his control while trying to avoid crashing with someone who is picking up his drawing books that fall from his grab  and Yongbae can’t hold himself when his body fell off to the ground. Knowing that he is the one that causing the incident, that person rushing to help Yongbae to get up.

“Are you ok? I’m sorry cause being such a clumsy. Did you hurt?” That person reached Yongbae in guilt. Yongbae get up like nothing happened although his knee has small scratch that bleeds out.

“Don’t worry, I’m ok.”he said while throwing a bright smile, his eyes almost unseen.

“Oh no..you are bleeding.” that person seems very shocked and try to stop the blood that still come out from the wound.

“It’s ok,…that injury is just a normal for beginner skater like me.” said Yongbae.

“No..no..no..hold on for a second. I will get something at the pharmacy nearby to treat your wound. Wait here, will you?” Yongbae quickly grab the other shoulder try to calm him down. Smile still plastered on his face.

“Relax..it’s ok.” Yongbae landed on the ground and bring out his bandana and wipe his blood on his knee, he quickly reached something in his pocket and pull out a packet of band-aids. “Look, I’ve got a plenty of this already. That’s mean thing like this always happened to me. So, don’t worry too much. It’s not your fault.” said Yongbae while waving the packet in front of that guy.

“But still…I’m sorry.” he landed next to Yongbae.

“Seeing all that equipment, I can say that you are more into drawing, am I right?” said Yongbae while pointing to the painting equipment beside that person.

“Hmm..it’s just my hobby.” he answered.

“Interesting. I don’t have any talent in drawing. But I really admire people who can expressed their feeling through an art. By the way, I’m Dong Yongbae, you can call me Yongbae. What’s yours?” asked Yongbae, being friendly while his hand busy plastering his wound.

“My name is Choi Seunghyun. You can call me Seunghyun although I believed that I am older than you. I’m 16 to be exact.” he lend his hand and Yongbae just shook it with smile.

“Yes, you are right. I’m 15.” answered Yongbae honest.

“So, did you always spend your time here?” asked Seunghyun.

“Yeah..almost every day. I live nearby, so this place will be the place I could think of to practice skateboard. Ok, I’m done with my wound. See you later, bro..” Yongbae stands up, pickup his skateboard and making a small jump to ensure that his knee feels better.

“Owh..ok. Maybe we can hang out together next time. I’ll treat you drinks as my apology causing this incident.” offered Seunghyun before Yongbae leave that place riding his skateboard while waving at him.

*********************************************

The sun shines really bright makes him sweating excessively that day. Yongbae heading to the large tree, trying to shelter from the hot sun. He is lying on the ground,  wish to get some rest after playing his skateboard. His eyes are close while his lips follows the song lyrics that had been played on his earphone.

“What a nice voice that you have. Want to try for an audition?”

Yongbae startled when he heard that voice. His eyes widely open and quickly sitting straight. Seunghyun just smiling in front of him. “Do you still remember me?” he asked.

Yongbae return the smile when he see the familiar face. “Yes, Hyung.” he answered. How can he forget the well-structured face like that. Not many people got that look though.

“I’ve told you before, you can just call me Seunghyun, didn’t I?” Seunghyun landed beside Yongbae.

“But it seems impolite to address someone older by his name.” Yongbae refused.

“It’s only 1 year different and I also don’t mind. So, why bother?” said Seunghyun reassuring.

“But still…” Yongbae just smiling, holding on his opinion.

“Ok..Ok..it’s up to you. You come to practice again? How’s your injury?” asked Seunghyun, get over with the titled.

“It’s getting better. It’s just a small scratch, will be healing in no time.” answered Yongbae while rubbing his knee that has been covered by his trouser.

“Want to grab something to drink.? I’d promised to treat you as an apology.”

“No need to burden yourself. I’m just fine. I’ve told you that it was not your fault.”

“But..can you just accept it to make me feel better at least?”

Yongbae just stare with silent. He really doesn’t want to be a burden to someone.

“But… that will makes me uncomfortable instead.” he said, still hesitates.

“Interesting…Not many people will reject that offer you know?” said Seunghyun a bit disappointed.

“If I agreed..it’s look like I’m accepting what had been happened was your fault. So, I don’t like that.” said Yongbae bluntly.

Seunghyun just smirking disbelief what had been heard from Yongbae. “You are not an easy person, aren’t you?” he shook his head, quite impressive with the new guy that he just met.

“Hyung, your hand is empty today. Finish your drawing already?” asked Yongbae when he notice that person holding nothing.

“I’m not in a mood for drawing today, just try to find you to pay my debt but has been rejected instead.”he said while smile bitterly.

“Aish..what debt? You’re done nothing, hyung...come on..it’s not a big deal.” said Yongbae try to comfort Seunghyun before his phone suddenly vibrating. Yongbae open the message that he just received and get up on his feet. “Ok hyung, I need to go. About this wound, please don’t be burden by it. I’m sincerely ask you to forget about it..ok? See you later then.” Yongbae leave that place after waving his goodbye. Seunghyun only staring at him without a word.

**************************************************

“Yongbae ahhh…”

Yongbae, who are immersed himself with his skateboard turn his head at last to look at the guy who keep calling him from far. Seunghyun try to wave at him with handful of plastic bag on both of his hand. Yongbae stop whatever he doing at that moment just to look at Seunghyun in confused.

“Yongbae come here..” Seunghyun calling again, beckon Yongbae over.

Yongbae walk slowly to the bench, where Seunghyun is sitting. His curiosity clearly shows on his face.

“What is this?” asked Yongbae when he noticed that Seunghyun brings a bucket of fried chicken from the fast food restaurant and two bottles of soda.

“As you can see, it’s a food and drinks.” answered Seunghyun with a wide smile.

“Yes, I know that, but what is it for?” asked Yongbae, a bit surprise with sudden visit.

“I’m hungry but it will be bored if I eat alone. So, I buy extra and decided to eat this with  you.” said Seunghyun cheerfully.

“Hyung…aishhh.” Yongbae scratching his head. He doesn’t know how to express his words. He knows that Seunghyun buy all of that because he refused to accept his treat before.

“What? I just need someone to eat with me. You don’t want?” asked Seunghyun with sad face.

“Ok..I’ll eat with you. I’m afraid if I refused you will come again with something more.” said Yongbae try to give in.

Seunghyun dissolve a laughter once Yongbae landed next to him. He waited patiently that moment will come and he is very happy when Yongbae decided to join.

“Your parents must had given you a lot of pocket money to treat me like this.” said Yongbae sarcastically.

“Emm…I have a lot. So, you can just tell me what do you want. I’ll get it for you.” said Seunghyun bragging himself.

Yongbae shook his head. “We just met, than you treat me with all of this, makes me uncomfortable. We are not close enough for this.” said Yongbae.

“We don’t have to be close with someone to share what we have. Sometimes people will just eat with a stranger and if you still bother about that, than let us be friend and know each other better.” said Seunghyun casually. “So, from today, can we be a friend?” asked Seunghyun and deeply stares toward Yongbae.

“Yes. Why not?” reply Yongbae with his sweet smile.

“So, Friend?” Seunghyun lend his hand and Yongbae just shook that hand openly. “Friend…” he replied.

***********************************************************

Since that day their friendship is getting stronger. They spent their evening at the park almost every day together. Seunghyun focus on his drawing while Yongbae keep practicing his skateboarding. Half of Seunghyun sketch book is full with Yongbae’s image which he draw while watching Yongbae making a move with his skateboard.

That day, Yongbae practicing his skating skill as usual. However, there are many people that day, so the place is quite limited for Yongbae to do some movements. He decided to leisure around the park with his skateboard and leaving Seunghyun on his spot alone. Everything went well before he accidently hit someone when he is rushing to the place where Seunghyun is sitting. The couple crossing the path without even looking at Yongbae and Yongbae who are carelessly looking somewhere else try to stop when he saw them but not quick enough and he bump into the couple. Three of them fell on the ground. The guy lose his temper when Yongbae’s hand landed on his girlfriend waist. Yongbae get up as fast as he can and try to apologize towards the couple but suddenly he feels the pain on his stomach when that guy kicked him angrily. Seunghyun rushing towards Yongbae when he noticed that Yongbae had been beaten by that guy and try to protect Yongbae who is already lying on the ground. He lose his control when he saw blood running out from Yongbae’s nose. Without thinking he release his punch direct to the guy’s face and take a revenge towards that person. Yongbae quickly hugging Seunghyun from behind, try to stop the fight and with the help of the public, they manage to drag that guy away from angry Seunghyun. Yongbae patting Seunghyun’s back, try to calm him down.

“Are you ok?” asked Yongbae when everything had been settled down. He locking his gaze on Seunghyun, and still flustered seeing the other side of him that he just witness with his own eyes.

 “Don’t ask me, I’m the one who should ask you that.” said Seunghyun still panting.

“You don’t have to act like that. If something happen to you, it will make me feels guilty.” said Yongbae concern.

“I can’t just sit there to see my friend got beaten like that.” Seunghyun protest.

“It was my fault indeed. I’m the one who acted carelessly until bumped into them.” said Yongbae, blaming himself.

“Can you just stop taking all the blame on you. If you did made a mistakes, that guy supposedly not just kicked you like that. Can’t he talk? You had apologized to him, so why he had to use violent?” Seunghyun really pissed off thinking that moment.

Yongbae stay in silence. He knows that Seunghyun is mad but he can’t stop looking at him. Deep in his heart he really feels thankful to Seunghyun because being there to rescue him. He was really hopeless when that guy kicked him hard.

“Are you really ok? Want me to bring you to the hospital for checkup?” asked Seunghyun, worried.

“No..it’s ok. Not so serious I think.” Yongbae refused politely. “Hyung…..thank you for saving me.” he said wholeheartedly.

“Aish..don’t mention that. We are friend, right?” Said Seunghyun and locking his gaze on Yongbae.

************************************************

They have been a friend almost four month since the first meet. Being with Seunghyun makes Yongbae feels really safe because there is someone will take care of him and always bring something for him especially foods that he never afford to buy. Seunghyun treats Yongbae like he is a little brother of him, being so clingy and caressing him whenever they sit side by side. Maybe because he doesn’t have one, Yongbae thought. As for Yongbae, it would be nice to have another brother that is so caring that he can rely on.

Yongbae and Seunghyun meet each other at the park as usual. Seunghyun brings his drawing equipment and Yongbae just sit beside him to watch.

“Normally how long did you take to finish it up?” asked Yongbae curious to know.

“It is depend on what I draw.” answered Seunghyun casually.

“I saw your drawing before, seems like you had been in many places because I saw a lot of pretty painting on it.”said Yongbae.

“Hmm..quite a lot because our family always go to another country for business purposes.” explain Seunghyun.

“It must be nice to see other country. Korea itself, I still don’t have a chance to see it all.” said Yongbae. Their family rarely go for vacation since his father has to work harder to support the family. Yongbae never complaint because he knows that his father only want to ensure that they can get enough for living. Rather than make a complain he respect him because of his hard work.

“Someday, you and me, let’s go to have some fun together. We go every place that you never been before, ok?” asked Seunghyun while Yongbae’s head.

“Ok, I will save money from now on.” replied Yongbae excitedly. They both laughing.

While Seunghyun are too immersed doing his painting, there is someone walking closer and Yongbae just look at him without expression.

“Hai…sorry if I’m interrupting. We are playing a basketball over there, but we are lack of players. Would you like to join us?” asked that guy to Yongbae.

“Me?” Yongbae asked in confused.

“Yes, if you won’t mind.” that guy carving a wide smile on his lips.

Yongbae turn to look at Seunghyun. He still busy on his painting. Yongbae get up. He had done nothing since they come to that park. Playing a basketball can help him to spent his free time while waiting for Seunghyun to finish his drawing, so that he will not suffer from boredom, he think.

“Hyung, since I’ve done nothing, I want to join them playing basketball.” said Yongbae and walk toward the guy that invite him earlier.

“Eh..you want to leave me alone?” asked Seunghyun while sending a sharp glares towards the person who stand with smiley face.

“You continue with your drawing. I’m just near this area.” said Yongbae and follow that guy to his group without knowing the changes in Seunghyun expression.

Yongbae greets all the player and introduce himself with each other. Yongbae team up with Kang Daesung, the person that asking him to join. At first round their team is losing. Yongbae keep saying that he is not good in playing basketball because of his height, but Daesung always encourage him with a smile that never leave his face.

“It’s ok, we just playing for fun. Don’t stress yourself.” said Daesung in comfort manner. It’s make Yongbae feels comfortable playing with them because they treat him very friendly.

Seunghyun looking at him from far. There are a lot of skinship going on while Yongbae playing with them. Seeing that Yongbae smiling and laughing with them makes his jealousy rise up. He try to call for Yongbae various time but since Yongbae excitedly playing with them, he didn’t hear the call. Seunghyun stands up and try to call Yongbae more louder and it makes Yongbae who is in turn to shoot the ball looking at him in confused. Yongbae almost fell down when he lost his balance when he landed from high jump. However, Daesung manage to hold his waist to help him stand up properly. That scene makes Seunghyun can’t hold his inner feeling. He walking towards them and grab Yongbae wrist and drag him out from the team.

“Hyung?” Yongbae startled when he been dragged like that. Seunghyun doesn’t say anything. Yongbae notice the serious expression on Seunghyun face but still confuse what is exactly happen at that time. They heading to the nearest public toilet. Once they get in there, Seunghyun locked the door and turn to face Yongbae in a sharp glares.

“Hyung…” Yongbae can feels his heart beats faster. He never see that serious face before. “what’s wrong?” he asked in trembling voice.

“You!!!..Don’t you ever let the others touch you. You are belong to me. I don’t want to see other  person touch you like that.” said Seunghyun in a deep voice while his eyes still locked up with Yongbae.

“What does it mean? We are playing basketball and he just trying to help me. It’s a game anyway, how can we avoid those skin ship? It is the thing that usually happen when we are playing with each other.” said Yongbae  a bit frustrated.

“So, Stop it. I don’t like it.” Seunghyun grip his fist try to control his emotion.

“What’s wrong with that? Why can’t I join them? It’s fun…and what does it mean I belong to you? I belong to nobody and I can decide with whom I want to play with. Let me go hyung, I have to apologize to them, they might be in shocked right now.” said Yongbae and walk to the door.

“Stop right there..” asked Seunghyun when Yongbae walk pass by him.

Yongbae doesn’t care and that makes Seunghyun pissed off. He push Yongbae against the locked door and hissing while grabbing Yongbae’s nape, which Yongbae has no choice other than tilt his head up looking at Seunghyun. Seeing Yongbae’s full lips had been exposed to him, Seunghyun lean a rough kiss makes Yongbae struggling hard with disagree.

“Hyung..hffttt..what..emph..you..dfftt..” Yongbae struggle to escape from Seunghyun. He is really shock with that sudden kiss which he never see it coming. Since Seunghyun have a better figure than Yongbae, so he easily dominate the younger. Yongbae can’t do anything. Their saliva had mixed together, covered his lips and half of his face. Yongbae never felt disgusting like that for his entire life. Even though people always prank him at school, but still he can endure it compare to what is he experiencing right now. Yongbae pull his courage to push Seunghyun with all his might. But the more he push the more Seunghyun lean on him which make Yongbae decide to bite those lips. Yongbae manage to unlock the door when Seunghyun step back and rushing out leaving Seunghyun alone in there. His mind goes blank, all he does is just running as fast as he can to get away from Seunghyun. He still in shock and can’t believe Seunghyun will acting like that. He reached his home and directly went to bathroom to clean himself. He wash his face and gargle with a lot of water try to get rid Sunghyun’s saliva which can be taste in his mouth. Although he washed it thoroughly he still feels disgust when he think about that incident. He take a glance of his reflection in the mirror,  his lips clearly swollen. “Damn you crazy bastard!!!” he cursed.

******************************************

Since that day, Yongbae abstain himself from the park. He decided to avoid Seunghyun. “I don’t want to see that ert again.” he thought by himself. He is always being extra careful when he go and return from his school. Fear has been plaguing him ever since the incident occurred. Sometimes that scene haunted him in his sleep makes him wake up sweating heavily from the nightmare.

It has been a month he didn’t meet Seunghyun. He managed to change his phone number after pleading earnestly to his father, so that Seunghyun won’t be able to call him. That day he spend his weekend in his room before his eyes glancing toward his skateboard which had not been used within that time. His desire to pursue his hobby rising up. “It has been so long, I don’t think he still be there.” he thought. So, he took his courage and hold his skateboard and heading to the park. Yongbae still in cautious, looking all around to make sure that place is safe for him, safe from Seunghyun. He released a sigh of relief when Seunghyun is nowhere to be seen. Yongbae slowly riding his skateboard, try to get used with it since he hadn’t play it for a long time. Suddenly he heard someone call him from behind.

“Hey kid….” that person walk closer. Yongbae turn and facing him with a confuse look. That is the owner of a burger stall near the skateboarding area, where him and Seunghyun always hangout before.

“Are you Yongbae?” he asked makes Yongbae more curious.

“Yes…” replied Yongbae short. His eyes still focusing on the older man.

“Your friend asked me to give you this. He said it is important. Actually it’s a month ago, but since I didn’t find you here so I keep it until today. ” said that person while hands over an envelope towards Yongbae.

“Owh..Thank you.” said Yongbae and take the envelope with curiosity. The older man just leave him after that.

Yongbae sit on the bench while staring at the envelope in his hand. The envelope seems a bit crumpled. Maybe because it has been keep for a long time. “what is this? Is it from Seunghyun? Should I open it or just throw it away.” his inner feeling still conflicting. However, the curiosity win over his thought and his finger slowly rips the envelope revealed a piece of paper that got Seunghyun’s handwritten in it.

Dear Yongbae,

I am desperately writing this to you right now. First of all I’m sorry for what I’ve done to you that day. I know I acted a bit harsh on you. I didn’t mean to hurt you like that, but I can’t hold my jealousy when seeing you with the others. I know that you really shocked with what had happened, but please forgive me. I am sincerely asking for your forgiveness.

Yongbae ah,

This is the 4th day I didn’t see you. You are surely hate me that much, aren’t you? But still, I come here again waiting for you. I really hope everything will be back to normal between you and me. I will do everything to make you forgive me, just name it.

My dearest Yongbae,

My family will be moving to another country tomorrow and maybe this time we will be staying there for a long time. My heart aching so much right now. I don’t want being apart from you. I really hope that we can meet before I go. On top of that,  I really hope that I have a reason to stay here. Please Yongbae, just let me know that you can give me another chance.

Bae,

I’ll be waiting for you at the airport tomorrow. Let me explain everything. I really hope that there is still some space for me to be in your heart. But, if you do not show up, I will considered it as your answer. However, I would like you to know that you will always be in my heart no matter what. I miss you Bae. I really hope I can see you once again. Please don’t hate me…please..I beg you with all my heart.

Love you till death,

ChoiSeunghyun

29.03.2009

 

His eyes still glued to the letter. There are various feelings keep lingering in his heart right now. He takes a deep breath and release it heavily. He can’t deny, Seunghyun might be a good friend if that incident never happened but the problem is Yongbae doesn’t felt the same way as Seunghyun does and what Seunghyun did to him is something that he can’t forgive. He still feel disgust when the memory poke his mind. “So, that’s mean he is already gone now. I hope we will never meet again in the future.” Yongbae get up, crumpled the letter and throw it directly to the trash bin.