Making A Choice

Selfish Love

 

"What is wrong with you?" Siwon asked.

"I don't know. Honestly, I really don't know. Everytime I think I'm ready to be with only one person, I suddenly feel like I can't live without the other." Donghae said as he held his head in his hands.

It's been three months since Donghae told Hyukjae he'd leave Kumi and it was the fourth time he'd met her with all intentions of breaking up, but like the other three times he failed to do so. However this time was worse than the other three.

Siwon scratched his head, "So, you called Kumi over to your place to break up with her." Siwon paused waiting for Donghae's response, when Donghae nodded he continued. "but instead of breaking up, you slept with her?" Donghae nodded again. "Wow." Siwon shook his head. "You're just making it harder on yourself. How are you going to make a decision on who you really want if you're still sleeping with them?"

"I don't know."

"So right now, at this moment, who do you want to be with?"

"Kumi." Donghae mumbled quickly. Siwon chuckled, "I knew it ."

"I'm such a mess what should I do?"

Siwon shrugged sat back in his chair and scratched at his chin. "First you should stop sleeping with them, that's obviously confusing you." He in air through his teeth as he pondered.  "How about you take a week or two without seeing them and whoever you miss the most is the one." Donghae stared back at him incredulously. Siwon stretched his eyes and raised his eyebrows, "I don't know anymore just figure something out. I'm tired of trying to help you out of this ridiculous situation." Donghae gulped and sighed.

 

-

 

"I can't believe you didn't leave him." Sungmin said as he sat in the chair in the corner of the room Hyukjae shared with Doonghae.

"I love him." Hyukjae said glaring at Sungmin.

"Yeah, I know but this is crazy. What makes you so sure he's going to leave her?"

Hyukjae pouted as he thought. "I don't know, I'm trying to trust him. He said he was going to leave her so I trust that he kept his word."

Sungmin rolled his eyes, "Don't be stupid Hyukjae." Hyukjae took a deep shaky breath, "He's not seeing her anymore, okay." Hyukjae said through gritted teeth.

Sungmin suddenly got up from the chair. "Let's go." is all he said.

"Where?" Hyukjae asked with a dumbfounded expression on his face.

"I'm just curious about something and I want you to come with me."

Hyukjae wanted to know what Sungmin was up to but he just shrugged off his curiosity and followed Sungmin to his car.

 

"This is Donghae's old apartment, why are we here?"

"I told you I was curious about something." Sungmin said as he parked and got out of his car.

Hyukjae was getting out of the car when the thought suddenly came to him, he grabbed Sungmin's arm before he could get any closer to the front door. "You think he still lives here."

Sungmin didn't say anything and kept walking. Hyukjae followed silently, he was just hoping it wasn't true.

Sungmin made his way to Donghae's front door and knocked with authority.

"Yah! Don't knock so hard." Hyukjae whispered. Sungmin was about to knock again when Donghae opened the door with a shocked expression. "S-Sungmin hyung, what are you doing here?" Sungmin turned to look at Hyukjae with a told you so expression. Sungmin pushed the door open and barged in.

Hyukjae was still standing in the hall in shock. Donghae was also shocked as he stood in the doorway with his mouth open.

Hyukjae's eyebrow twitched as he tried to hold in his anger. "You never left? I can't believe this!"

"I-I know. I'm sorry Hyukjae, come on let's talk about it inside." Donghae said as he reached for Hyukjae's hand.

"Don't! Don't touch me!" Hyukjae exclaimed as he jerked away from Donghae's hand.

"Okay, I won't touch you just, come in. Please."

When Hyukjae finally stepped inside he felt a little embarrassed to see Siwon sitting on Donghae's couch. Hyukjae was going to say something but Sungmin beat him to it.

"Siwon."

"Sungmin."

"How's life?"

"Great. How's Kyuhyun?"

"Better now that he's with me."

Siwon snorted. "Doubt that." he mumbled.

Sungmin rolled his eyes. "If he was happy with you, he would still be with you."

"He would be with me if you hadn't stole him from me."

"Kyuhyun's a grown man, I'm not holding him hostage."

"Yeah right."

"Look! You-"

"Yah! Stop fighting!" Donghae yelled. The two stopped and settled for giving each other evil glares.

"Hyukjae, I'm sorr-, where are you going?" He didn't answer and proceeded to storm into Donghae's bedroom. Donghae caught up with him and grabbed a hold of his arm.

"I said, don't touch me! " Hyukjae growled pushing Donghae so hard he hit the wall, knocking the air out of his lungs.

Sungmin and Siwon heard the noise and ran down the hall to make sure neither of them were hurt. "Your friend has gone crazy." Siwon said to Sungmin before asking Donghae if he was alright. "Your friend made him that way." Sungmin said as he gave Donghae an icy stare. "I'm fine." Donghae said breathlessly before following Hyukjae to his bedroom.

"A-Angel, What are you doing?" Donghae asked when he noticed Hyukjae going toward his closet.

"Do not call me that!" Hyukjae yelled at the top of his lungs. He'd stopped walking and turned to face Donghae who looked worried to death. "Do you call her that too?"

Donghae took in a deep breath and shook his head from left to right. "No."

Hyukjae just stood there staring at him. "What?" Donghae asked.

Tears began to fall down Hyukjae's face. Donghae was going to wipe them but decided against it. "You're lying to me, just like you lied about moving in with me." Hyukjae turned around and opened the closet. "Tell me the truth. Is she living here?" "No."

As soon as the word left his mouth Hyukjae began to search through Donghae's things. "What are you looking for?" Donghae asked as he picked up the fallen objects. "Where's her stuff?" Hyukjae asked as he snatched Donghae's clothes off the hangers. "I told you she doesn't live here!" Donghae exclaimed while picking up the clothes Hyukjae threw on the floor. "I can't trust you!" Hyukjae said as he opened a drawer and tore through the contents. "Hyukjae! I told you-" "What's this?" Hyukjae asked as he picked up a watch. Donghae didn't say anything.

When Hyukjae didn't hear anything he turned to face him, letting the watch dangle from his index finger. "Did you buy this?" Donghae looked away from Hyukjae's strong gaze and kept quiet. Hyukjae chuckled, "At least you're not lying."

"I'm sorry." Donghae said inching closer to Hyukjae. Hyukjae chuckled again smirking a little. "You know, lately that's all I hear you say." "I know, I'm sorr-" "Do you love her more than me?" "No! No, I just-" "Just what! What! What! WHAT IS IT? WHY ARE YOU STILL WITH HER?" Hyukjae let out a choky breath. "Why can't you leave her? Why didn't you move out? Why- Wh-" Hyukjae sobbed before starting to hyperventalate.

"Hyukjae breathe!" Donghae exclaimed quickly crossing the floor and patting his back. Hyukjae sat on the floor of Donghae's spacious closet resting his head between his knees taking in deep breaths until his breathing returned to normal."Are you okay?" Donghae asked after Hyukjae calmed down.

"I'm going crazy." Hyukjae said as he looked at the watch. He turned it over and saw the engraving. "Donghae & Kumi 4Ever" "HA!" He chuckled loudly shocking Donghae.

"What?" Donghae asked.

"It's engraved." Hyukjae cleared his throat as he looked up at Donghae who was still standing. He reached out his hand for Donghae who quickly accepted. "Tell me the truth Lee Donghae, I can't take anymore of your lies. I don't know what I'll do if I hear another lie come out of your mouth."

"Okay, I won't lie to you anymore. I promise." Donghae said eagerly.

"When did you meet her?"

Donghae took in a deep breath and let out a big sigh before sitting on the floor next  to Hyukjae. "A year before I met you."

"What?" Hyukjae said breathlessly. "So, you're not cheating on me instead you're cheating on her, with me." Hyukjae said confusedly.

"I guess." Donghae replied dumbly.

Hyukjae in air sharply and turned to face Donghae. "What do you mean, you guess? You were with her for a year before you met me! You were always lying to me!" Hyukjae tried to get up but Donghae pulled him back down, his hands holding onto Hyukjae's shoulders for dear life. "Let me go!" Hyukjae yelled as he struggled to get out of Donghae's grasp.

"No! W-Where are you going ?" Donghae asked his eyes pleading and b with tears.

Hyukjae closed his because he didn't want to falter under Donghae's pitiful gaze. "I can't be around you right now, I need some time to think."

"Okay, but please, answer this question for me." Donghae loosened his grip on his possibly ex lover's shoulders.

Hyukjae opened his eyes just in time to see the tears roll down Donghae's cheeks when he asked, "Do you still love me?" Hyukjae let out a rough sigh, harshly pulled out of Donghae's grasp and hastily ran toward the exit to Donghae's room.

Donghae chased after him. He wasn't sure a week ago or even twenty minutes ago who he wanted to be with, but the tight feeling in his chest that was getting tighter, almost suffocating the further Hyukjae got made him come to his decision. "Hyukjae wait!" Donghae exclaimed as he grabbed Hyukjae's arm.

"Ow! Donghae let go!" Hyukjae tried to twist his arm out of Donghae's grip but it hurt too much. "Hyukjae please! Don't go, I love you." Hyukjae turned around, his eyebrow twitched as he anxiously bit his lip. He looked Donghe in the eye, "Why are you doing this to me? I told you I needed some time to think."

"I know, and I'm sorry but I can't let you go. I love you."

"Donghae~" Hyukjae whined trying to pull and twist his arm from Donghae's hold.

"Let him go Donghae!" Sungmin exclaimed.

Both Donghae and Hyukjae had forgotten that Siwon and Sungmin were there. Hyukjae felt extremely embarrassed, having this dramatic and personal conversation in front of their friends. (Though they both knew what was going on.)

"Leave them alone. Let them talk, it's not like he's hurting him." Siwon said to Sungmin before going into the kitchen to rummage for snacks. Sungmin his teeth and plopped down in the recliner he'd been sitting in. Hyukjae used the moment Donghae was distracted to break free and head for the door.

"I'm going to leave her!" Donghae practically screamed, scaring Hyukjae so much the hairs on his arms stood up. Hyukjae turned around crossing his arms across his chest. "Do you not want me to go that badly? I told you not to lie to me." Donghae came closer to Hyukjae until he was close enough to reach for his hand. To Donghae's surprise Hyukjae stretched out his hand. "I'm not lying. I really do love you and I can't live without you. I can manage without her but without you, it's impossible."

Sungmin scoffed but Hyukjae said, "I can't live without you either." Sungmin's jaw dropped, there was so much he wanted to say but decided to talk to Hyukjae about it later.

Donghae let out a sigh of relief  and embraced Hyukjae tightly. "But I'm going to need proof that you broke up with her." Donghae pulled away and looked at him. "What? You've been lying to me for two years, I can't just trust you."

Sungmin smirked "The two of you should go together. Go to Ku-" "DO NOT! Say her name in my presence." Hyukjae said his insides burning with anger. "Sorry. Go to her house with Hyukjae so that he knows for sure you follow through." Siwon nodded in agreement. "Home wrecker here is right." Sungmin in air through his teeth deciding to hold his tongue, he and Siwon could bicker about past issues later.

Hyukjae stared at Donghae awaiting his answer. "Okay,I'll do it." "Let's go now." Hyukjae said eagerly. Donghae raised and eyebrow. "Now? Right now?" Hyukjae nodded happily as he squeezed Donghae's hand a bit. Donghae looked at Hyukjae's face and noticed how bright his eyes were. It was a brightness he hadn't seen since Hyukjae confronted him about Kumi, he was happy to see it again so he replied with a hesitant, "S-Sure. Anything you want." Donghae half smiled.

Even though he was breaking half of his heart, he knew this was the right decision. The tight almost dier feeling in his chest was completely gone the second Hyukjae turned around. He felt like he really would die without him. Although Donghae felt like apart of him would die, the other part was as bright as the sun and this time he wouldn't ruin it.

"Let's go." He said as he lead Hyukjae to the door but before Donghae could make contact with the door knob, there was a knock. A knock Donghae would know anywhere a  soft, delicate knock he's become so accustomed to. His heart jumped out of his chest and hid palms instantly became sweaty.

"Who could that be?" Sungmin asked in a snarky manner.

Hyukjae looked at Donghae with the dark, dull eyes that Donghae didn't want to get used to seeing and  said, "It's her, isn't it?" Hyukjae tried to release Donghae's hand but Donghae tightened his grip. Donghae kissed Hyukjae on the cheek causing him to blush and linked their fingers together, he took in a deep breath and opened the door.