FLASHBACK PT. 2

Selfish Love

Donghae could hear his phone ringing; he reached over in his groggy state and answered the phone. Eyes  still closed, mouth barely moving he managed to squeak out

“Hello?” voice raspy and deep.

“Omo! Did I wake you?” The cheerful voice said.

“Yes, yes you did, but now that I’m awake, who is this?” Donghae asked slowly waking up.

“Oh, I guess I should’ve said that first. This is Lee Hyukjae the guy you danced with yesterday.” Hyukjae said hoping Donghae remembered him. Donghae snapped his eyes open and moved hastily which caused him to meet with the floor.

“Ouch! Aghhh! My back!” Donghae groaned in pain rubbing his back desperately trying to soothe.

“Hello? Donghae? Are you okay?” Hyukjae asked concerned.

“Yes, I’m still here.” Donghae said making himself comfortable on the floor trying to avoid further chaos.

“Oh, well the reason I called was because I wanted to have breakfast with you …so I was wondering if you’d come with me.” Hyukjae said anticipating Donghae’s answer.

“Sure, I’ll go with you.” Donghae said wondering why he was letting himself get so excited.

“Okay then text me your address and I will pick you up at 10:30am.” Hyukjae said excited.

“Will do, see you then.” Donghae said wondering where the hell the bubbliness in his voice came from. After hanging up Donghae quickly texted Hyukjae his address and jumped in the shower. After showering he searched for something to wear, he didn’t really feel like dressing up so he just put on a pair of black jeans, a white button shirt and black shoes. After spending way too much time on his hair nearly having a mental break down deciding if he should wear cologne or not the doorbell rang so he decided to spray once as he grabbed his wallet and answered the door.

“Good Morning!” Hyukjae said obviously in a good mood.

“Good Morning to you too, so where are we going?” Donghae asked.

“Already? You haven’t even stepped out of your house and you want to know where we are going.” Hyukjae said teasing the eager sounding Donghae.

“You’ll see when we get there.” Hyukjae said in his calm voice.

On the way Donghae wasn’t aware of his surroundings as he constantly glanced at the slim male driving.

“See something you like?” Hyukjae said noticing Donghae’s stares.

“Huh? What? teh, NO! why would I stare at you?” Donghae retorted a bit alarmed.

“That’s what I want to know, why are you staring at me?” Hyukjae questioned.

“Well for starters, I wasn’t staring it was more of a glance. Second, if you weren’t looking at me you wouldn’t know I was glancing at you! Lastly, what kind of narcissistic prince are you to accuse me of admiring you!” Donghae huffed slightly worked up. Hyukjae threw his head back into a shrill unnecessary laugh. Donghae snapped his head up to see Hyukjae in pure bliss as he laughed loudly showing all of his teeth and gums. Donghae was speechless as it slowly dawned on him that the extremely talented dancer next to him may be insane. He was about to ask the man if he was okay when Hyukjae stopped the car and asked “Do you like me?”

Donghae felt his heart  beat faster and his blood pressure rise as he was startled by the question, but Donghae quickly pulled himself together to say “Sorry to disappoint you but I’m not gay.”

“I’m not either; however you are the only guy I’ve ever been the least bit attracted to.” Hyukjae said as he hopped out of the driver’s seat and quickly opened the door for Donghae.

Donghae just sat there stunned by Hyukjae’s confession.

“Oh snap out of it, it’s not like I’m going to force you to be my boyfriend or anything.” Hyukjae said taking Donghae’s hand and yanking him out of the vehicle. Donghae blankly tailed Hyukjae until he looked at the building they were entering.

“This is a hotel.” Donghae said confused.

“Yes, it is good job!” Hyukjae praised sarcastically.

“It’s not just a hotel but my father’s hotel and this place has the best food I’ve ever eaten.” Hyukjae said excitedly pulling Donghae to the elevator.

“Where are we going?” Donghae questioned curious.

“Once again with the questions, you’ll see when we get there.” Hyukjae said pushing Donghae into the elevator.

“Omo! Donghae Oppa!” This short long haired girl said tapping her sister on the shoulder

“Unni! Unni! It’s Donghae Oppa! Can you sign my shirt?” She said scrambling in her bag for a writing utensil.

“Sure!” Donghae said pulling a marker from his back pocket and signing the back of her shirt. At the same moment the girl’s sister looked up to see Hyukjae, she gasped as their eyes met.

 “Hyukjae Oppa! Why are you here with Donghae Oppa? Are you two working together?” the older girl questioned ecstatic.

“Something like that.” Hyukjae answered nonchalant.

“Well we have to go.”  The younger girl stated.

As they were about to leave the older girl raised her voice and said “Wait! Hyukjae Oppa, can I hug you?”

Hyukjae held his arms out as she quickly latched onto him tightly and said “I will quickly become a top choreographer just like you.” She let go and her sister waved goodbye as the elevator closed.

When they reached the presidential suite Hyukjae knocked on the door, an older man answered

 “Good Morning Hyukjae how are you today?”

“I’m fine, my friend and I wanted to eat breakfast here.” Hyukjae said walking in and flopping on a nearby couch. Donghae felt out of place as he leaned against the wall by the door.

“What are you doing?” come over here.” He patted the empty space next to him on the outrageously large couch. Donghae slowly walked over and sat next to his new friend. Donghae was a bit pleased with the term; he didn’t have many friends outside of his manager and Siwon.

“Is there anything specific you want?” Hyukjae asked before giving the older man the go ahead to retrieve the food.

“Nope. I’m just hungry.” Donghae said as the older male left he began to feel a bit nervous.

“So…what do you do? The girl in the elevator seemed pretty excited about seeing you.” Donghae said trying to make the mood less awkward.

Hyukjae chuckled “Well that doesn’t happen often but it feels good when it does. Me being a choreographer I don’t get a lot of fan run ins. You on the other hand must constantly have fan encounters as you carry a marker in your back pocket.”

Donghae’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

“I actually thought you knew me and wanted me to choreograph something for you , but after dancing you left so I figured you didn’t know.” Hyukjae said as he went to answer the door that Donghae  didn’t even hear.

As the bellboys rolled in carts with treys full of food everything from cereal, eggs, bacon, pancakes, fruit, kimchi soup, mandu, rice, galbi, etc.

“Mr. Lee we were not sure what you and your friend wanted to eat so we brought a variety of things, I hope that’s okay.” One of the young bellboys said.

“Oh that’s great, thank you.” Hyukjae said salivating.

“Well we’ll leave you to it, enjoy.” The bellboy said as he led himself and the others out.

Hyukjae walked over to the luxurious dining table. Donghae quickly started to stuff his face.

“Woah! Slow down no one’s going to take it from you.” Hyukjae said eating a strawberry.

Donghae looked up from his food.

“Have you even looked at the clock since you picked me up?” Donghae said as he awaited Hyukjae’s response, however looking at how careless Hyukjae was slowly reaching in his pocket to retrieve his phone to check the time Donghae grew impatient and answered his own question “It’s 12:30!” Donghae scowled as he continued eating.

Hyukjae laughed and said “Is it really that late? I guess this isn’t breakfast then huh?”

They both ate silently for awhile until Hyukjae said “Why did you give me your number? I mean I know you enjoyed dancing with me but you had no idea who I was and I know you only debuted a little over a year ago but you’re still famous, so why did you give your number to some random guy?”

Donghae took a sip of juice and said “Well, I don’t have many friends so when there’s an opportunity to make one I never pass it up.”

“Interesting, how can such a cool, handsome guy like you not have many friends?” Hyukjae said admiring Donghae as he ate. Donghae slightly blushed at Hyukjae’s compliment. 

“Since I’m always working I don’t have time and even before I was signed I was always practicing and since I didn’t have time for them we grew apart.

“Well I’m glad I can be a friend to you.” Hyukjae said sighing and slouching back into the chair and patting his stomach.

“Ugh! I’m so full!” He said as he got up and stretched then yawned.

“So, what do you have to do today?” Hyukjae asked.

“Actually today is my off day, I should be resting since I have a full schedule tomorrow.” Donghae answered pushing his plate to the side and sighing.

“That’s great, then you can take a nap with me before I take you home.”  Hyukjae said brightly.

Donghae’s eyes widened “What is that you’re saying?” Surely he heard him wrong.

“I always take a nap after breakfast and you don’t want me drowsy while driving you home do you?” Hyukjae questioned.

“Well no, but…that wasn’t breakfast and I’m not sleepy.” Donghae said perplexed.

“All I need is about thirty minutes. Here since you’re not sleepy you can watch TV.” Hyukjae said turning on the TV and handing the remote to Donghae.

“O..kay?” Donghae said grabbing the remote.

Hyukjae took off his shirt and went into the bedroom. Donghae put his feet up on the couch for about twenty minutes when he got bored.

He tip toed into the bedroom. He looked at Hyukjae sleeping peacefully and Donghae couldn’t deny that Hyukjae looked really…pretty. The way the light from the window shinned on his face, his lips plump and bright pink, his hair messy from the pillow. Donghae just hovered over him for a bit trying to understand his feelings “why is my heart beating like this?”

Donghae was startled when Hyukjae turned over on his side. Donghae held his breath trying not to make a sound that would disturb him.

“I think you like me.” Hyukjae said eyes still closed.

“What?” Donghae exclaimed shocked.

“Why else would you be there staring at me like that?” Hyukjae said turning back on his back eyes still closed.

“Whatever, think what you want.” Donghae was about to walk away when Hyukjae grabbed his wrist.

“Just admit it.” Hyukjae said.

“I…I just met you.” Donghae said feeling slightly vulnerable. He tried to get up but Hyukjae wrapped his arms around his waist and held him tighter. Donghae laid there, baffled.

“Lay with me.” Hyukjae said staring up at the frightened Donghae.

“Um Hyukjae, I don’t know if you’re joking or if you’ve misunderstood me but I-“ Hyukjae leaned up and kissed Donghae’s lips softly. Donghae closed his eyes and kissed him back, then Donghae quickly snatched his lips away and scrambled off the bed.

“I’m sorry! Can you just take me home please?” Donghae said frantic as he sat in a nearby chair and put his head in his hands.

Hyukjae slowly walked over to Donghae and patted his back. “Why are you apologizing? I kissed you. Are you apologizing because…you kissed me back?” Hyukjae asked.

“Why did you kiss me?” Donghae said looking up from his sitting position with confusion written all over his face.

“I like you.” Hyukjae replied looking into Donghae’s eyes.

“Well I don’t!” Donghae said getting up and storming into the other room.

Hyukjae followed him “Donghae!”

“Can you please just take me home?” Donghae said teary eyed.

Hyukjae walked over to  Donghae and pulled him into a hug.

“Please, let me go.” Donghae said trying to release himself from Hyukjae’s strong grip.

“I’m sorry; I can’t do that until you admit your feelings.” Hyukjae said holding Donghae tighter.

“Hyukjae. I don’t like you.” He said coldly against the taller mans chest.

Hyukjae held Donghae’s shoulders, looked into his eyes pleadingly and kissed his lips in a stern manner. Donghae quickly pulled away and tried to get out of Hyukjae’s grasp.

“Stop!” Donghae said upset.

“I like you.” Hyukjae said with a weird expression. Donghae looked up at Hyukjae trying to figure out what was wrong with him.

Hyukjae once again pressed his lips to Donghae’s but this time when Donghae tried to pull away he grabbed his face and stepped closer to him. Donghae felt something a little different from the last few kisses, sadness. Hyukjae was sad, as Donghae’s heartbeat began to beat faster he kissed Hyukjae back, he could feel Hyukjae’s pain, desperation, sincerity and love?

Donghae expeditiously pushed Hyukjae away; Donghae stumbled and hit the floor softly. He was shocked at his discovery; he sat on the floor panting as he slowly looked up as his eyes met Hyukjae’s teary ones.

“Do you…love me?” Donghae said breathless.

Hyukjae widened his eyes in shock as his cheeks turned red and averted his eyes. “No, how could I be in love with someone I just met?” Hyukjae said nervously.

“Don’t lie.” Donghae said getting up off the floor.

Hyukjae looked in Donghae’s eyes and said “Whatever, how can you assume I’m in love with you, when you can’t even admit that you like me? Ridiculous.” Donghae stared back at Hyukjae’s eyes, he was mad.

“Let’s go, I’ll take you home.” Hyukjae said putting on his shirt and grabbing his car keys.

Donghae stood watching intently as Hyukjae gathered his things. Donghae didn’t know what was going on but it was killing him to see Hyukjae act so cold.

As Hyukjae was about to open the front door, Donghae quickly turned him around, wrapped his arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. Donghae had butterflies in his stomach the happiness and passion he felt made his toes curl. Hyukjae ended the kiss after taking in Donghae’s bottom lip.

Donghae looked into Hyukjae’s eyes and said “I like you.”

Hyukjae smiled like he won a prize. “I like you too.” Hyukjae said and tightly hugged Donghae.

After Donghae was honest about his feelings for Hyukjae they left the hotel, the drive home was awkward until Hyukjae said “Be my boyfriend.”

Donghae choked on his saliva at the question. “What?”

“Be my boyfriend.” Hyukjae repeated in his usual nonchalant tone.

“Isn’t this a little too fast?” Donghae said turning his body to get a better look at Hyukjae.

“Yeah, but I already know I love you so what are we waiting on?” Hyukjae said not noticing his mistake.

“What did you say?” Donghae asked amused that Hyukjae had no idea what he just said.

“What? I said I already know I like you so what are we waiting on?”

Donghae laughed. “No, you didn’t. You said you loved me.

“What?” Hyukjae exclaimed. “This is the second time you’ve accused me of loving you, Is there something you want to say to me?” Hyukjae asked nervously.

Donghae chuckled “I’ll be honest. I don’t love you but I do like you a lot it’s different from anyone else I’ve ever dated. When I’m with you I feel…vulnerable and timid. I’ve never felt that way around someone before. I’m always the strong one.” Donghae said as he looked out the window. Hyukjae reached over and grabbed Donghae’s hand. “You don’t have to be strong around me.”

It was quiet for a bit until Hyukjae asked “How did you know that I…that…I-“

“That you’re in love with me?” Donghae interrupted.

“Yeah, that.” Hyukjae said blushing.

“I felt it.” Donghae said knowing he sounded crazy.

“What?” Hyukjae said laughing.

“When you kissed me that last time, I could feel your emotions. It was like everything you were feeling or thinking at that moment was being transferred over to me, that’s why I pushed you.” Donghae

explained.

Hyukjae smiled and said “Then be my boyfriend, who else are you going to have a connection like that with?”

Donghae didn’t reply.

“Come on, if you don’t like it we can split, and be friends or whatever just give me a chance.” Hyukjae said squeezing Donghae’s hand.

“Okay, I’ll be your boyfriend.”

“Really?” Hyukjae said excited.

“How can I turn you down when you ask me like that?” Donghae said interlocking his fingers in Hyukjae’s.

Hyukjae drove like that with his fingers interlocked with Donghae’s until Hyukjae stopped the car and sighed.

“You’re here.” Hyukjae said turning his body to face Donghae.

“Thank you, today was…nice.” Donghae said awkwardly, slowly releasing Hyukjae’s warm hand.

“Alright, I’ll talk to you later.” Hyukjae said staring at Donghae.

As Donghae opened the door and stuck his foot out of the car Hyukjae felt anxious.

“Y-yeobo! Wait!” Hyukjae said leaning over and grabbing Donghae’s arm. Donghae turned around and sat back down.

“Yeobo huh? I’ll have to get used to it.” Hyukjae leaned over and kissed his new boyfriend deeply. Donghae wrapped his arms around Hyukjae’s neck. Hyukjae climbed over the console between them and into Donghae’s lap, Hyukjae bit Donghae’s bottom lip softly Donghae groaned as Hyukjae attacked his mouth. Hyukjae lead the kiss as Donghae was a little taken aback. Hyukjae ended the kiss with a sweet peck and crawled back over to the driver’s seat.

“Our first make out session.” Hyukjae said smiling a bright gummy smile.

“Isn’t it our second?” Donghae asked.

“The first one doesn’t count. That was just me desperately trying to get you to admit you like me.” Hyukjae said proud.

“Bye, Angel.” Donghae said as he opened the door to leave.

“I’ll talk to you later, Yeobo.” Hyukjae said as Donghae smiled and waved as his boyfriend drove away.