Surprise

Expecting The Unexpected
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Son Naeun's POV

Soon enough, the concert had come to a close. SHINee bowed and bid goodbye to their fans. It was truly a night to remember. Probably the best concert I've ever seen. 

The fans started exiting the concert hall and eventually everyone was gone except for us; Eonnie, Oppa and I.

I couldn't help but avert my gaze to our joined hands every now and then. Eonnie was too busy to even realise what was going on beside her.

"Shall we go?" She asked, getting from her seat and putting her bag on. She then started heading towards the waiting rooms, most likely going to congratulate the guys on a successful evening.

No one replied, but instead, Myungsoo Oppa got up without letting go of my hand and I just quietly followed. Just for today...

Eunji eonnie was in such a hurry that she forgot about her two companions and when she was out of sight, I became nervous.

"So... Where are we going?" He suddenly blurts out.

"Huh? We're going somewhere?" My mind wasn't in it's right state, because of the nerves.

"I thought we were going out for my birthday?" He questioned and it came back to me. 

I had the urge to facepalm myself at that monent. I offered and yet I was the one who forgot. The day was filled with many embarrassing moments.

"I mean, if you don't want to anymore, it's fine..." Even if he said that, his tone said otherwise.

"Ani!... I mean, no it's not that. It just slipped out of my mind for a second, but the offer still stands." With my close friends and family, I can be pretty talkative, but other times, I'm quiet. I'm glad I can be the least bit normal around him.

"Oh... Then where should we go?" He asked. Why's he asking, its his birthday.

"Hmm . Birthday boy chooses." I reply and slowly, I was becoming more and more relaxed.

"How about-" He didn't get to finish, as another voice interrupted him.

"Naeun!" Someone called out from across the hallway. The figure got bigger and bigger, as they got closer. When it stopped in front of us, I realised who it was.

"Ah. Taemin oppa." I absentmindedly let out.

"I was looking for you." His voice dragged on, as his gaze fell on our interlocked hands.

When I finally realised what he was staring at, I immediately snatched my hand out of Myungsoo oppa's hold. "Oh. Do need me for something?" I asked politely, having my hands behind my back.

"Um... Not really... I just wanted to say thanks for the sweets." His tone was noticeably awkward.

"Oh. It was nothing, really..." And then there was awkward silence.

Kim Myungsoo's POV

I wasn't even paying attention to their conversation. All I could think about was the way she retracted her hand from mine when her 'Taemin oppa' appeared.

*clench* My heart was being painfully squeezed at the thought that she liked her 'ex-husband' . Then scenes of their WGM series kept playing in my mind like a movie. 

"-pa. Oppa. Oppa! OPPA!" I snapped back to reality upon hearing someone shouting. 

I looked around and the only one with me was Naeun . Where did he go? 

"Should we go now?" 

"Go where?" I answered back with a question. 

"Here I was, blaming myself for forgetting when in truth, your memory is worse than mine..." I sneered at her as she mocked me.

"How about Eunji?" I asked.

"Our manager can drive her home. We'll just walk to our destination." She replied and I just nodded. " And don't worry, I got Taemin oppa to inform her and the rest of SHINee." Woah. How long was I deep in thought for?

"Come on, Grandpa. Let's go." The next thing she did surprised me a little, but without complain, I went along with it - she grabbed my hand and started dragging me. 

In a flash, we were already walking towards the convenience store since people might recognise us if we went to a restaurant. So we decided to have a mini picnic at the park.

Does she realise she's holding my hand? Well, I was about to find out. "Naeun-ah... Hand."

She gave me a confused look before looking at our hands. "Oh...that... It's okay. We're friends, right?" Friends... I've just been friendzoned...

"Right..." I said sarcastically. "Ani. I don't accept."

"Huh? But before you said we could be friends."

"That was before you kept giving me false hope." I retorted back.

"What are you talking about?" 

I sighed in exasperation. "If you like me, then don't act so friendly. It makes me think you still like me, but then you say otherwise. You're confusing me. Do you like me or do you not?" I was trying to keep my calm. "Tell me whether or not I have a chance so I know if I should just give up." I hitched my breath and it came out as somewhat of a threat.

She jumped a little, before looking away. I waited patiently but she didn't answer. Not even a single word. So, tired of waiting, I removed my sunglasses, placing it on the top of my head and then I put my hands on both sides of her face, making her look me straight in the eye. "Answer me." I said, a little more sternly than I had intended.

Naeun kept quiet for a few seconds with  her eyes so distant, before saying something. "I think we should go home for now... and maybe we can just continue your birthday celebration tomorrow." With that, she gently removed my hands from her face and started walking off.

I finally came to my senses and ran after her to apologise. It took about 2 minutes before I spotted her. But when I did, I went to her and slowly spun her around by her right shoulder.

"Naeun-ah, about just then. I'm really really sorry. My feelings are all jumbled up right now and I kept thinking you had a thing for Taemin-ssi." I didn't even dare to look at her, so I instead, I focused on my black converse shoes.

"What? I don't like Taemin oppa in that way." She sighed in relief. Huh? "I thought I did something terrible." Her legs gave up on her as she fell on her knees.

I was surprised and thought she was hurt, so I started bombarding her with questions to make sure she's okay.

"Oppa, I'm fine. Don't worry." Then there was silence. That lasted until she spoke. "Look Oppa, I haven't completely gotten over you yet, so how can I like someone else?" That me look at her to see if she was lying. Her expression showed sincerity.

Then I realised what she was doing. She was answering my previous question. "So I still have a chance?" I was hoping for a confirmation from her, before I could get my hopes up.

"Ne. But we're only friends...at the moment." 

My eyes got bigger and my face showed a very big, unattractive grin. I was so I happy, I went down to her level and tightly embraced her. And she just giggled before hugging me back.

I still have a chance. That was all I could think about. 

"Now let's go back home. We'll just celebrate your birthday tomorrow or something."

I nodded, breaking the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter