Chapter 9

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A gentle breeze blew into the room from the open window as the little colorful chime hanging by the window frame ring softly echoing into the room. Jaejoong stood in the room without saying a single word back to the young ghost in front of him. For one thing she was the first ghost he had ever meet who actually question him on this matter. The others usually just accept their fate and accept his gift before crossing over to the other side. Maybe because no one had ever asked him this question, he had totally forgotten about it.

“You sure are blunt asking that right off the bat…but sorry to disappoint you I’m pretty alive…”

The young ghost looks at Jaejoong a bit surprise. She wasn’t sure rather she had made a mistake or not however Jaejoong gives off a feeling of someone who had already passed to the afterlife and yet at the same time is also alive. She wanted to question him but base on the expression on his face, she knew she is digging into something he wishes not to talk about. Whatever happens to jaejoong, whatever the reason behind him being stuck in limbo is something she should not ask. Jaejoong could feel her sadness and pity toward him as he only smiled at her gently “don’t feel sorry for me…even I’m unclear as to what my future holds…” he picks up a canvas and took out some paints “instead…why don’t you allow me to help you keep one of your most precious memories?”

“No need…I have something I must do”

The young girl disappeared from sight while Jaejoong is dumbfounded for this was the first time a ghost has run from him. From this act alone, jaejoong knew this was going to be a troublesome ghost who will not rest unless what she has set out to do is completed. He let out a heavy sigh before setting the canvas and paint down before leaning on the wall.

“Yunho will not be happy to learn that the ghost refuses to leave” thought jaejoong as his mind wondered to the question she had asked of him about him being dead. No matter how much he thinks about it, he himself isn’t sure rather he was supposed to have died that day or not. To be honest, memory of that day wasn’t as clear as it should be. He only remembers being in his room. The next thing he knew he was in the hospital room and a week had passed. What he remembers was what he was told when he woke up from his coma. He can’t help but felt like an unknown force is out to catch him. Just thinking about it sends a shiver throughout his body numbing it as he found himself unable to move.

Yunho had just gotten onto the boat and started to help bring stuff onboard the ship for fishing. They were all ready and about to leave however one worker was keeping them at bay. He was supposed to have shown up a while ago but there was no sign of him. The boss decided to give him a call to determine rather he will be joining the catch today or not. Yunho was putting a box down when he notice the terrible expression on his boss’s face. Even his tone of voice was enough to tell Yunho something had happen.

“What is it?” Yunho asked when his boss hang up the phone

“He won’t be coming…he is stuck at the hospital…”

“Did something happen to him?”

His boss hesitate a bit before speaking “it’s not him…its Mrs. Choi…she fainted so he has taken her to the hospital since he lives right next door to her…”

“Is she alright?”

“There isn’t anything wrong with her however…it seem she received some horrible news …her granddaughter she has been taking care of…well…she had passed away during her trip…”

This took Yunho by surprise; it was only a few hours ago when he was taking to Mrs. Choi and about her granddaughter. Yunho knew her for a long time and even got along with the granddaughter well. He knew that they only had each other but now Mrs. Choi has been left alone. Yunho couldn’t help but sympathize with her.

“Let’s get going…we still have a job to finish…”

Yunho only nodded his head before stirring the boat away from the dock and toward the open ocean. Even though he was excited to start his job again he can’t help but think about Mrs. Choi’s wellbeing. Now with the granddaughter also gone, how will she go on? When Yunho lost his father, every day was tough but he has his siblings to keep him going but Mrs. Choi doesn’t have anybody anymore. Yunho made a mental note to check up on her tomorrow morning as the boat made its way toward the large body of water.

The clocks tick away and before long the evening approached as the sun had started to descend. The door opened as Geonwoo and Hyun Ae enters before taking off their shoes. The first thing they notice was the delicious smell of food coming from the kitchen. Geonwoo didn’t even put on the house slipper before rushing toward the kitchen to see what jaejoong had made. However when he got to the kitchen he was meet with disappointment for jaejoong was not there. The food has been fully cooked but the cook is nowhere to be seen.

“Where did Hyung go?” Geonwoo asked as he sat his bag down on the dining table.

“Did you check the bedroom?” Hyun Ae asked as she went into the girl’s room to put her stuff away.

Geonwoo opened the door to the boy’s bedroom and spotted jaejoong sleeping on his bed with the window open as the ocean breeze came into the room. The soft sunlight touched jaejoong’s face lighting it up beautifully that even Geonwoo was speechless for word. He can’t help but think Jaejoong looked like an angel sleeping there with the bright light reflecting upon him.

“Why are you standing at the door?” Hyun Ae asked as Geonwoo quickly hushed her.

They both looked at Jaejoong’s peaceful expression as he breathes in and out before looking at each other and smiled. They closed the door making sure not to make any noise in order to allow jaejoong to sleep. A few hours passed as SooMin also came home from the nearby college. She only managed to take one of her shoe off before Geonwoo and Hyun Ae gestured for her to be quite. SooMIn only raised an eye brow at them wondering what is going on.

“Hyung is sleeping…we can’t disrupt his slumber…” Geonwoo whispered

“No need…I’m already up” yawn jaejoong as he exited the bedroom.

Hyun Ae, SooMIn and Geonwoo only looked at jaejoong before they started to laugh. Jaejoong only raised one his eyebrow wondering what has caused these siblings to laugh uncontrollable.

“Jaejoong shhi…I think you should go to the bathroom and take care of that bed hair” chuckle SooMin

Jaejoong went to the bathroom and even he was surprise at how messy it has gotten. He must have toss and turn a lot to cause his hair to look like a bird’s nest. After freshening up and combing his hair, he returns to the living room where Hyun Ae and Geonwoo was busy doing their homework. Soomin is in the kitchen re-heating the food as jaejoong apologize. He was waiting for them to get home but got tire and fell asleep.

“No need to apologize…you already did the major part…I’ll just re-heat and set the table so you can relax” smile SooMin

Jaejoong only thanked her before walking over to Hyun Ae and Geowoon. It went from him looking over their homework to helping them with Math and more English for Geonwoo. They were more than happy to have him help them since exams were coming up. But nothing surprised them more then to learn that Jaejoong was not only an art genius but also a genius of every single subject. Even the hard part where Hyun Ae and Geonwoo couldn’t understand…he was able to understand them all.

“How old are you again Jaejoong Oppa?” Hyun Ae asked

“25…”

“So you are the same age as my brother…but yet you two are so different….he couldn’t even understand the simple multiplication…”

“It can’t be help right?...he had you guys to take care of….he wasn’t given the chance to complete his studies…you guys should be thankful that he worked so hard for you to have your education…” smile jaejoong

Hyun Ae didn’t say anything else as she felt guilty for saying such thing about her brother when she clearly knew the reason behind Yunho not understanding math.

“Neh Hyung” Geonwoo spoke “are you going to leave again?” he asked the one question that has been on everyone’s mind but has been hesitating to ask fearing his answer.

Jaejoong could see the nervous expression on all of their faces as he only let out a soft smile and reached out to message Geonwoo’s hair “I’m not going anywhere…this time…I’m planning to stay for as long as you guys let me…”

This put a smile on all of their faces

“Then you can stay with us forever!” Geonwoo shouted happily “you can even become Yunho’s bride!!”

“Yah! Geonwoo!!!” SooMIn shouted from the kitchen as GeonWoo covered his mouth for he was not supposed to be mentioning these kinds of things.

Jaejoong of course was taken by surprise when Geonwoo told him to become Yunho’s bride but rather than being offended, Jaejoong find this to be interesting.

“Yunho is like your father…if I marry Yunho…would that make me your new mother?” Grin jaejoong

“NO!” Hyun Ae protested “I will never accept that!”

“Ah! We have our first protester” spoke jaejoong

“Why?” GeonWoo asked her

“If jaejoong is going to get marry into this family…he will marry me…he will become my bride”

“Oi…no matter how you look at it…I’m still a guy…wouldn’t I be your husband instead?” jaejoong asked feeling like his gender has been completely overlooked.

“It doesn’t matter…you will marry me instead of Yunho…”

Rather than feeling like she is asking his hand in marriage, it sounded more like an order, a demand that he become her bride.

“No…jaejoong will marry me instead…”

“Wasn’t it Yunho he wanted me to marry?” Jaejoong wondered to himself

They both end up arguing over this topic until SooMin came into the room and scolded them for putting Jaejoong at an awkward situation. But jaejoong only chuckled at how silly Hyun Ae and Geonwoo could be. It’s like they get along but are always disagreeing with each other and arguing over the simplest thing. This must be how sibling is when they are together. He only had a young sister but before they were even old enough to start arguing, she had already passed. Soon night came as the clock struck 9 Pm. The sun has already set as darkness once again graced this little village. Hyun Ae and Geonwoo had already turned in for the night after finishing their homework and taking a shower. SooMin however was still awake but is in her room working on her college paper. Jaejoong sat in the living room watching TV when he felt a sudden breeze of coldness. This was a clear sign that the ghost lady has return in other word, Yunho is home. Just as he thought of that, the door opened to reveal Yunho who looked totally exhausted.

“Welcome back” came jaejoong’s voice as he sat in the living room enjoying a bag of chip while watching the enlig kdrama.

“yea…where is everyone?”

“In the girl’s room…I’ll heat you some food” spoke Jaejoong as he stood up and walked pass Yunho before glancing at the ghost standing behind him. He enters the kitchen and started to re-heat the food as Yunho went to take a nice hot shower to wash away the smell of fish and ocean breeze.

“As long as you don’t do anything harmful to this family...I won’t force you to cross over…however I do ask you don’t interrupt him at work…” spoke jaejoong

“What exactly is you relationship to Yunho?” the ghost asked jaejoong

“Just a friend…” Jaejoong responded

The ghost however doubts they are just normal friends.

“If you don’t mind me asking…what is this unfinished task you want to complete? Not only that but why Yunho of all people?”

The ghost hesitate a bit before speaking “My grandmother…she had only one wish…a wish to see me happily married…she wanted to see me in a white dress walking down the aisle with my lover waiting for me…this was her wish…her dream…but I could not fulfill it for her?”

“So…you want to make her wish of seeing you get married fulfilled?”

The ghost nodded her head

“How will do you that? You are already dead…you are only a ghost now who she could not see or hear…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter