Chapter 13

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lightning flashed from the thick rain clouds that hover over the little village. The sound of thunders could be heard as loud splashing of rains against the window echoed into the room. The man who stood outside with the black umbrella begins to walk forward toward the blue color door in front of him. The closer he gets, the wider he smiles. Jaejoong on the other hand looked at the little girl who had attached herself to him. Base on the cold air around her, he could tell she is a ghost. The little girl looked to be around the age of 5 with short black hair. However the terrify look on her face made Jaejoong feel uneasy. He was about to speak to her when he felt an overwhelming presence behind the front door. A cold and painfully icy air blew to the back of his neck. He could even see his own breath as the sound of bells could be heard. It was the same bells that he has been hearing and the same coldness he had felt not once but twice. He felt his body went numb and froze in place. He tried moving himself but it was impossible. At this point jaejoong was starting to get scare…scare that whatever it is will finally be able to catch him. He felt his body getting colder and colder as his skin started to change color and the full pink lip became bluish. The little girl looks at jaejoong in horror before letting go of him and rushed toward the bedroom where Yunho slept.

Just then jaejoong heard humming…a familiar tune that has resonated with him before. Memory of the past flashed before his eyes as the man he once loved stood in front of him smiling and humming this very tune. These happy memories quickly changed into horror as he remembers himself falling out of the window. The sound of bells became louder and louder. Every ring it made shake his body endlessly.

“Yunho…” jaejoong tried to whisper his name but his tongue has refused to work properly “yun…yun…ho….” He tried again fearing for his life.

Jaejoong could see Vick walked out into the hallway growling with anger before he started barking loudly. This woke up Yunho who was wondering what has gotten into Vick. He looks to where jaejoong was supposed to be sleeping and found him missing. Yunho suddenly get this terrible feeling as he quickly got up and dashed toward the hallway where Vick is standing and barking. He turns his head and spotted jaejoong standing in front of the door looked daze as his complexion looked horrible.

“Jae…jaejoong ah!!!” he shouted before running toward jaejoong.

The minute Yunho touched Jaejoong he felt nothing but coldness as if he was touching a solid block of ice. Upon the touches of Yunho, Jaejoong felt the icy hold on him disappeared as he was able to move his body once more. Jaejoong was shaking and could barely speak a word. Yunho became fearful as he quickly picked jaejoong up. He spotted what looked like bits of ice on the floor before carrying jaejoong to the bathroom. Yunho carefully placed jaejoong into the tub and turn on the warm water. All these commotion was enough to wake up the others as they too came out of their room and saw the state Jaejoong was in.

“Soomin!! Gather all the warm clothes you can!! Blankets!! Anything!!” he shouted to her as she quickly went to gather the things he requested.

“Hyun Ae! Turn on the heater to full blast!”

She too went to do what she was asked to do

“W-what should I do?” Geonwoo asked as his voice started to shake

“Make some hot tea…”

He nodded his head as he rushed into the kitchen and started to boil some water. Yunho return to jaejoong and carefully removed jaejoong’s clothes that has now become wet. He started to splash some hot water onto Jaejoong to hopefully warm him up as his body still felt like ice. Yunho tried to speak to him who has not said a single word. At this point he begins to wonder if it was better to take jaejoong to the hospital.

“Jaejoong…look at me” he pleads but jaejoong did not lift his gaze. Yunho gently cupped jaejoong’s cold cheek in his hand before slowly turning jaejoong’s head to look at him

“Everything...everything will be alright jaejoong ah…I’m here…we all are here…” he whispered these words to jaejoong while trying his best to smile

Jaejoong looked into Yunho’s worrisome and loving eyes as he lifted his hand to touch Yunho’s hand. He slightly turns his head to fully feel the warmth of Yunho’s hand on his cheek. He closed his eyes and smiled “It’s warm…..” he finally spoke

Yunho felt a since of relief washed over him before reaching over and pull jaejoong into a tight hug. For a minute there Yunho thought he was going to lose jaejoong. It was scary…far scarier than anything he had ever experienced. He didn’t care for the fact that his clothes are now wet, all he wanted is to continue to feel the warmth of Jaejoong as a sign that he is still alive.

“Don’t…” he whispered with a shaky voice “Don’t you ever scare me like that again you hear me…I thought…I thought I was going to lose you…”

Jaejoong wasn’t sure what to say or what to do. It wasn’t his intention to make this loving man before him shake or scare him. All Jaejoong wanted was to continue to be Yunho’s light…Yunho’s angel who will make him smile every day. But with the way things are going…will Jaejoong really be able to stay at Yunho’s side? Or will he end up taking Yunho down with him to a path of no return?

After bathing Jaejoong in hot water the familiar warmth of his body has returned to normal. Even the bluish color of his lip had faded and return to pink. Yunho had him dressed in warm clothes as Soomin covered him with layers of blanket. The room became hot from the full blast of heat. Geonwoo give jaejoong the warm tea to drink hopefully it will warm up his inside. Jaejoong only sat there staring at Yunho to Soomin, Hyun Ae and then to Geonwoo. They all shared the same worrisome expression as they kept their gaze at him.

“Sorry…I must have scared all of you” he apologizes

“Scared? You terrified us!” snap Hyun Ae as she quickly went to hug him and started sobbing “don’t ever look like that again you hear me…”

Geonwoo also jumped in for the hug as he too started crying

“Aish…they aren’t kids anymore and yet cried like babies” sigh Yunho

“But…it’s a relief that Jaejoong shhi is alright” smile SooMIn

Yunho turn his gaze toward the front door and looked down where he had found jaejoong standing a few minutes ago. The ices on the floor have disappeared but he knew it wasn’t something he had just imagined. Encountering ghost and hearing stories from jaejoong had made Yunho begin to believe what he sees even if it’s not something you normally see. But the question still remains…just what exactly happens? Where did those ices came from when it isn’t even winter?

At this moment Yunho spotted Vick by the door. He was scratching it and growling at the door as if something or someone was behind it. Carious as to what is gaining Vick’s attention, Yunho begin to walk forward. He reached for the door knob but something in him made him hesitated a bit. Vick barked as Yunho turn the door knob and swing the door open. However there wasn’t anyone there. It was just the usual surrounding with the rain falls.

“There isn’t anything there” said Yunho

Vick who was growling a moment ago stopped right away as he started to smile before returning to the living room where the others are. Yunho only raised an eyebrow as he turns his attention back to the front. It was quiet and only the sound of rain falls could be heard outside. He scanned the surrounding once more before turning around and closed the door missing the little bit of ice on the outside door knob.

The next morning Yunho forced jaejoong to go see a doctor to make sure nothing is wrong with him internally. After a few tests, the doctor confirms everything was normal; nothing is out of the ordinary. Even though this was a relief to Yunho, he still doubts nothing is wrong. For one thing, a person does not go completely ice cold when it isn’t even winter or his skin and pink lip became pale and blue. Even though he didn’t want to think about it, the way jaejoong looked reminded him of a corpse that has been frozen. This reminded him of what his mother told him about how jaejoong had died. All of these were not setting well with him.

“Yunho…oi Yunho…” Jaejoong’s voice ring through the air snapping Yunho out of his thoughts

“w-what is it?”

“The light…it had turn green” said jaejoong

Yunho was brought back to reality that they had just left the hospital and is on their way home. He quickly steps on the gas pedal and drove down the street. There were too much he needs to think about and has yet to speak to jaejoong. Should he ask for the truth? Should he tell Jaejoong that he knew about his past? Would jaejoong get angry?

“I can tell you wanted to ask me something Yunho…” spoke Jaejoong “go ahead and ask it”

Yunho only glanced at jaejoong before turning his attention back to the front. As much as he wanted to ask it, he felt like he shouldn’t fearing that by asking the question, it will bring back unpleasant memories for jaejoong.

“No…there isn’t anything…” he smiled at him

Jaejoong looked at Yunho with a disappointed look on his face. If Yunho had asked it, jaejoong would have told him the full truth. At this point it seems like they both are afraid of the change that might happen if the truth is known. He turns his gaze back toward the window and stares out toward the wide ocean in front of him. The window has been pulled down as the blast of ocean breeze came in the car causing their hair to sway back and forth. For the rest of the drive home neither of them spoke a word to each other.

Both Yunho and Jaejoong entered their home but stop in their track when they see Vick sitting in the hallway facing the front door. Patting him is a little girl who had snuggled herself closely to his full white fur. Yunho knew right away that this little girl was a ghost. After seeing so many, he had gotten used to seeing them that it isn’t even scary anymore. Upon seeing them at the door, the girl let go of Vick and walked over to Jaejoong before grabbing end of his shirt holding it tightly. She didn’t say a word or even lift her head to look at them. She just stood at his side holding onto his shirt.

“You sure are popular aren’t you?” ask Yunho

“Say the guy who is constantly being targeted for match making…” grin jaejoong

“Who is she anyway?”

Jaejoong only shrugged his shoulder “not sure…” he turn to the girl “what’s your name?”

The little girl did not say a word as she only kept her gaze low. Yunho and jaejoong exchange uncertain looks before Yunho made his way toward the bathroom leaving jaejoong alone with the little girl.

“You…were the one who saved me weren’t you? You went to get vick to start barking so the others will wake up huh?” he asked with a smile

The little girl nodded her head

Jaejoong smiled softly at her “Thank you…if it weren’t for you…I don’t know what could have happen”

The little girl looks at jaejoong full of worry and the same terror expression from last night. He begin to get this feeling like maybe this little girl knew who or what it was that came last night.

“Was it…here to harm you?” jaejoong asked

She shook her head

Jaejoong hesitated a bit before asking “was it here…for me?”

She didn’t shake or nod her head. She only kept her gaze at jaejoong with worrisome eyes as a clear indication that the main target was him. He could see that she cares about his safety and worry about him even though they have never meet before. None the less Jaejoong was thankful for her help. He reached over and pats her on the head with a gentle and kind smile

“Let’s keep this a secret between us okay…”

The little girl only nodded her head in agreement.

“By the way…do you even know who I am?”

She nodded her head as jaejoong begin to think long and hard where he had meet her before but no matter how much he thinks, he had never seen her. But looking at her innocent and cute expression, he can’t help but feel guilty for forgetting her if he did meet her in the past that is. Jaejoong watched as she lifted her hand and pointed at his paintings that have begun to take up most of the living room space. At this point jaejoong begins to wonder who is this little girl that appeared out of nowhere and seems to know him. Without saying any words, she started to tug at his shirt forcing him to walk forward. She led him toward the living room where a few paintings were set against the wall. Jaejoong wasn’t sure what she is trying to do. Is she asking him to paint for her or did she want to see the painting he had painted?

A small painting was being levitated into the air startling jaejoong. It was a painting that has been out but knowing what was there before sends shiver down jaejoong’s spine as the image of the sinister face flashed before his eyes. Upon the bathroom door opening, the painting dropped to the ground as jaejoong turn to face Yunho.

“Jaejoong ah…It’s almost time for the others to come home from School…since I call off work today…I’m heading to the store to buy some few things…”

“I-I see…Alright…” said jaejoong a bit nervous.

Yunho could sense something was off as he looks from Jaejoong to the little girl “don’t you want to come with me?”

“O-of course…” he smiled before taking a step but felt a tug on his shirt. He turns around only to see the little girl refusing to let go. In fact, she looked worry while shaking her head. Jaejoong turn his gaze back to Yunho “I guess…I’ll be waiting here with our new guest”

Yunho only raise an eyebrow at the strange girl before leaving and closing the door behind him.

Hours passed normally as the little colorful wind chime hanging by the window ringed slightly against the ocean breeze. The little ghost girl has yet to disappear as Yunho came back from the store with a troubled expression. He wasn’t the only one giving off such an expression as Jaejoong was also looking troubled. He had tried talking to her but she has yet to say a word. In fact she was doing what every normal 5 year old was doing. She was playing around and chasing after Vick. If you think a living 5 year is a hand full….imagine a 5 year old ghost who has the ability to move objects. In just a few h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter