Chapter 4

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the clock struck 3 am, the village is dead silence. The only sound that could be heard is the waves splashing against the large rocks. The droplets of water from the sink echoed throughout the small apartment as Yunho sat by the open window. The cool night breeze blew into the room splashing against Yunho’s face cooling his flushed face. Ever since Jaejoong came back, they have been drinking none stop. You can call him old school or whatever but drinking while talking was his idea of fun especially when it’s between guys. The half empty can of beer in his hand is already his 5th can and he can already feel himself being buzzed. Another one and he will have to suffer the humiliation of passing out on the cold hard floor. Luckily the one who passed out first was Jaejoong as he snores away. It’s been a while since Yunho drink and a while since he last drinks with anyone. All those years of not drinking has weakened him. During his younger days he used to be able to drink all of these like water and still have no hang over.  He was even nick named as the iron stomach. But now that his age is catching up with him, he barely makes it pass his 5fifth can. Another cold breeze blew into the room causing Jaejoong’a bangs to fall over his face. Yunho found this to be quite funny as he let out a few chuckles before reaching over and gently brushed them aside. This is the first time Yunho had ever closely look at jaejoong’s face and just like the first time he saw him, jaejoong is indeed very beautiful. His skin is as pale as the snow, full pink lips and smooth skin. Most girls will probably be jealous or envy of him rather than wanting to be his girlfriend.  Upon the touch of Yunho’s fingers against his skin, jaejoong reached over to try and shoo away what is touching his face. Once again Yunho chuckled and found this rather entertaining.

“If I tell you to stay…will you?” Yunho whisper into the room but received no answer as he turn his gaze to the large painting hanging on the wall.

When morning lights came, SooMin was the first to wake up like any other day to prepare breakfast. After washing up, she headed toward the kitchen but paused when she smelled the stench of beers. She turns her attention toward the living room and spotted multiple cans of beers throughout the living room. Both Yunho and Jaejoong have passed out on the floor. They lay close to one another and in her view it’s too close for comfort. They are facing each other with Yunho’s arm over jaejoong’s slender body. It made SooMin wonders what kind of development took place while they were sound asleep. She didn’t feel like waking them as she silently gathered the empty beer cans and stuffed them into a garbage bag. She then put on her shoe and carried the bag out onto the street for the morning trash guys to pick it up. At that moment she happens to overhear a few of the elder women chatting in the middle of the street near their house.

“It’s kind of scary if you think about it?” one of then spoke

“I hear they haven’t found the culprit yet” said another

“You don’t see things like this happening here in this village…it’s rare…and when it does happen…it’s frightening,…”

“Wat is frightening?” SooMin Asked

“Ah…SooMIn…you haven’t heard about it?” one of the elder woman asked

“about what?”

The old ladies look at each other before turning to her. In a whispering kind of voice, one of the older ladies leans toward her.

“Last night someone was killed in a hotel room…”

Upon this information SooMin’s eyes widen in shock. This isn’t a big village and not a lot of things happen here. For someone to end up dead is indeed very shocking.

“Apparently he was strangled, there were red markings on his neck and what is even weirder is that whoever did this has burnt all the evidence in the bathroom…”

“what is even more bone chilling is the fact that their security camera was able to capture the poor fellow enter his hotel room but there wasn’t anyone with him…it’s was kind of weird since the hotel staff stated there was someone with him…”

They continue to talk near the house when jaejoong started to wake up. He can clearly hear them from the open window. He blinks once or twice before realizing Yunho’s face is only a few inches away from his face. This startled him for he couldn’t remember what happen last night after drinking so heavily. He quickly sat up before feeling the hang over wash over him as he groaned. Upon his sudden movement Yunho stir in his sleep before he too sat up and yawned. Unlike jaejoong, there were no facial expressions of a morning hang over reflected upon Yunho’s face.

“What time is it?” Yunho asked followed by another yawn.

“I don’t know…arugh…I feel like my head is being split open…” groan Jaejoong as he messaged his head with his hand.

After breakfast Yunho helped jaejoong pack up his things before helping him carry his three large bags to the car. He loaded them into the back as Jaejoong bid the siblings a goodbye. They didn’t want him to leave but they also know they can’t beg him to stay either.

“You promise to visit when you come back to Jeju?” Hyun Ae asked with a sadden expression

“Of course…” smiled Jaejoong as they hugged

GeonWoo on the other hand was holding back his tears. Even though they started as total stranger, in just a few days, they have already developed a strong bond. To Geonwoo it’s like a very close friend moving far away.

“Now don’t give me that look…you are supposed to send me off with a smile…” Jaejoong pat him on the head. GeonWoo took a deep breath and smiled startling Jaejoong at how fast he could change his facial expression.

“Next time you come back…make sure to have more interesting stories to tell me…” GeonWoo smiled

“Of course….”

“Ah! I almost forgot…here” said Soomin as he took out a box beautifully wrapped “these are snacks…eat them when you are hungry…”

Jaejoong took the box into his hand and smiled at her “thank you SooMin…”

“Oi…if you taking any longer…you are going to miss your ferry…” Yunho called to him from the car.

Jaejoong bid his final farewell as he started to walk toward the car. He waved to the siblings before getting in as Yunho also got in. But just as he started the engine he notices someone running toward them. It was a man possible in his late 30’s. He had on a frantic expression as if something terrible just took place. Feeling like Yunho have to hear why he came to them, he stepped out of the car.

“Why are you in such a rush so early in the morning?” Yunho asked

The man stopped and tried to catch his breath before speaking “Mrs Choi…she…she collapsed early this morning and is now in ICU…”

Upon this information Yunho’s eye widen in total shock. To others Mrs. Choi is probably just another old lady but to Yunho and his family, she was like their guardian. After his father passed away, being the oldest, Yunho wasn’t sure what to do. It was Mrs Choi who took care of them, bring them food, taught Yunho many things. She acted almost like a guardian in place of their deceased father. They could have gone to live with their aunt in Seoul but they refuses to leave. This was their birth place, their home, where all their memories lies and importantly where their father was put to rest. As Jaejoong sat in the car he could see the expression on Yunho’s face change to horror. He knew something must have happen as he too exited the car.

“Yunho? Are you okay?” he asked

Yunho only turn to look at him with a sadden expression “S-sorry Jaejoong…a very important person in my life is in critical condition…she is in ICU as we speak…”

Jaejoong thought about it for a few minutes before smiling “shall we go and visit her?”

“But…what about your ferry?”

“It’s okay…I can always catch the second one…this is far more important…”

With that being said, Yunho and jaejoong headed to the hospital while his siblings stay behind. After obtaining some information from the front desk as to what room Mrs Choi is in, they quickly walked down the hallway toward the ICU location. As they walked down the hall, an elder patient passed them. He took notice of Jaejoong as he paused and his eyes widen in shock.

“You…aren’t you…the…painter?” he asked in a shaky voice

Jaejoong only looked at him and smiled before placing his index finger between his full lip as if to gesture for him to be quiet about his presence. 

“What is it?” the nurse asked the elder man

Rather than answering her, he only made gesture with his hand like a Christian would when praying to god. The nurse only looked at him strangely before leading him back to his room. Once Yunho arrived at Mrs Choi’s room, he enters and was meets with her daughter and son in law. The daughter was crying while the husband comforts her. Lying on the bed is Mrs Choi with an oxygen mask on as the beeping machine echoed throughout the room. In Yunho’s view, Mrs Choi looked like she has aged since the last time he saw her. There were more wrinkles and the color of her skin has gotten paler.

“I’m sorry Yunho…the doctor…the doctor say she doesn’t have much time…” the daughter spoke as tears stream down her brown eyes.

“What…what exactly happen?” he asked

The daughter exchange looks with her husband before turning back to Yunho “My mother…she…was diagnosed with lung cancer…she has been battling it for about a month now but it has spread throughout her body…this...has become a losing fight….” She started crying more thinking about it as the husband lead her out of the room to calm her down. Yunho was still in a state of total shock, never would he think that she will go this way. He just saw her 2 weeks ago and she was smiling as bright as the morning sun. To think that at that time she was still battling cancer is really heart breaking. He walked to stand at the side of her bed before grasping her old wrinkled hand in his.

“Why? Why didn’t you tell me?” Yunho spoke fighting back his tears as all the memories he shared with her flashed before his eyes “if you have told me…I could have helped you…I could have shared the pain with you…”

Just then he felt her fingers folded over his hand as he turns to look at her. Mrs Choi’s eyes are now open as she smiled at him.

“Don’t be sad Yunho Ah…” she spoke soft and gentle but weak compare to how she use to speak “I Didn’t tell you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter