Chapter 10

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The drive home was quiet as neither Yunho nor Jaejoong spoke a word to each other since they left the hospital. In fact Jaejoong haven’t even turn to look at Yunho once but continue to gaze out the window deep in thoughts. Yunho could tell something was bothering Jaejoong but what worries him most was what happen back at the hospital. Jaejoong was fine one moment and then he started having some kind of attack out of the blue. He can’t deny the fact that at that moment he was scared…maybe the word terrify is more befitting to describe it.

“Are you sure you are okay?” Yunho finally asked to break the silence that was killing him.

“Yea…” was all Jaejoong said without even turning to look at Yunho

“Is…there something bothering you?” Yunho asked

Upon this question Jaejoong remembered the images that flashed before his eyes. It wasn’t the fact that he saw himself fall out of the windows that bother him but rather it was the strange man he saw. Just what exactly happen that day? Did he really jump out the window on his own will or was there another reason as to why he flew out the window? No matter how much Jaejoong tried to figure it out, he couldn’t recall who that man was. Just what role did he play on the day Jaejoong’s life changed? Not to mention that strange man at the hospital. The way he look at jaejoong and the way he smiled was a clear indication that he knew him

“Jaejoong…oi jaejoong…” Yunho continues to call his name snapping him out of his thoughts as he finally turns his gaze from the ocean to the concern Yunho.

“S-sorry…did you say something?” Jaejoong asked

“I’m worry about you…are you sure you don’t want to get check by the doctor to make sure it wasn’t something serious?”

Jaejoong could tell he had made Yunho worry about him. Even though it was scary to go through that painful experience, it was probably even worst for Yunho who had to witness it.

“I’m sorry Yunho…I didn’t realize I had made you worry but I am fine…it could just be heat …I was running a lot” smile Jaejoong hoping to erase that concern look on Yunho’s face

Yunho however knew there was more to it but he didn’t want to pray further into this matter. If jaejoong say he is fine then Yunho will just have to trust him on it.

“If you go through that one more time…I will drag you to the doctor you hear me”

“I hear you loud and clear” jaejoong smiled

Yunho felt like the atmosphere has finally returned to normal as they begin to talk to each other once more pushing aside what had happen at the hospital. Jaejoong made Yunho promise not to tell the others about what happen. Yunho was more than happy to keep it a secret because if they knew, they will be all over jaejoong again and he didn’t want them to be worried. But deep down Yunho knew something was troubling Jaejoong. Rather than heading straight home Yunho made a right exit and out of the highway.

“Where are we going?” Jaejoong asked

“Will…today is my day off…I figure we go and have some adult fun before those brats come home” grin Yunho

Jaejoong wasn’t sure what Yunho is planning but he was more than willing to go out for some fun although he wasn’t sure what Yunho meant by ‘Adult fun’. After a good 30 minute drive, jaejoong found himself standing on a beach with his bare feet touching the rough warm sands and the ocean water. Being this close to the ocean, the wind was stronger and more cooling. He could hear the sound of seagulls flying above him while some have joined him on the beach looking for things to eat. He turns to his right and sees Yunho picking up rocks and started to skip it on the ocean surface.

“Is this your definition of Adult fun?” Jaejoong asked a bit disappointed at how simple Yunho is.

“Don’t give me that look…I have bills to pay and this is free” grin Yunho

Jaejoong sigh before picking up a rock “you could at least taken me out to eat” he threw the rock as it made 5 skips surprising Yunho who have been trying to do it but couldn’t. The most he had gotten was only 3 skips.

“Aren’t there something that you can’t do?” Yunho asked feeling like there is no flaw to this beautiful man before him.

Jaejoong grinned “nope…I can do just about anything…it’s a gift that I can’t control”

“Now you are just boasting…I won’t be beaten by you”

Yunho picks up more rocks as jaejoong did the same. They begin to skip rocks against each other to see who can make the most skips. Without them realizing it hours passed as the sun begin to set creating a sky full of bright colors. At this point both Yunho and Jaejoong were exhausted and their arms hurt from skipping so many rocks.

“Let’s just call it a draw okay…” spoke Jaejoong

“Yea…a draw sounds good..” said Yunho as he sat down on the sand

“to think we spent hours skipping rocks” Jaejoong chuckled “never would I thought that I would waste the entire day doing something so childish…”

“But…it worked…”

Jaejoong turn to Yunho raising his eyebrow

“after what happen at the hospital you looked bothered….the expression on your face was as if you are reminded of something terrible…something painful…by coming here and skipping rocks…you had forgotten about those bad memories and started to smile and laugh again…that means my plan worked no matter how childish it is” Yunho smiled

Jaejoong was speechless for words. He didn’t think Yunho will pick up what he was feeling just by the look on his face. In the past no one seems to care what he is going through. They will continue to push their desires on jaejoong rather he was exhausted or not. Even when he felted like no one care and started to withdraw, his mother only told him to take some meds and go back to work. Yunho was the first person he meet who didn’t care about his fame…didn’t care about his fortune and most importantly didn’t care about his past or the secrets he is keeping. He was so touched by Yunho’s kindness and finally understood why everyone is out to make him part of their family.

“Whoever you choose to marry…she will be one lucky gal…” Jaejoong spoke as he turns his gaze back to the ocean as the waves touched his feet before retreating back into the ocean.

“Where did that come from?”

“It’s just a thought that accorded to me…” smile jaejoong

Yunho sat there and stare at jaejoong and couldn’t believe how beautiful he looked under the setting sun. With his soft pale skin, the lights from the sky reflected upon it giving jaejoong a colorful glow. The wind caused his black hair to dance freely as jaejoong’s full pink lips curved into a gentle and soft smile. The sparkles from the surface of the ocean water reflected in those big brown dolls like eyes making jaejoong look like some character from a fantasy story that had sprung to life. He remembered the advice he received from Mrs. Choi about regretting love after it was too late. No matter how he looks at it, he didn’t want to regret it after it had already ended. At the thought of Jaejoong becoming someone else’s pains him as his chest tightens and his heart hurts.

“I...”

Before Yunho could finish the seagull above him had pooped as it landed on Yunho’s shoulder. Upon seeing this Jaejoong laughed loudly as Yunho cursed the seagull and started shouting at it. Yunho asked jaejoong to stop laughing however jaejoong couldn’t stop. Yunho felt like being mean as he touched the bird poop on his shoulder and tried to smear it on Jaejoong who tried to run away from him.

As night came, Yunho and Jaejoong finally arrived home only to be greeted by the trios at the front door with angry look on their faces.

“Where did you two go?! We have been worried sick” Hyun Ae asked as she placed her hand on her hip

“We tried calling you but you didn’t even pick up your phone either” said Geonwoo

“Why are you two wet?” SooMin asked upon noticing how drench Yunho and jaejoong was from playing by the beach.

“You two go take a warm shower before you catch a cold” advise SooMin who worries for their health “food has already been made…once you are done…come eat okay?”

“Don’t stay out late anymore you hear me” scold Hyun Ae

“And answer you call…at least let us know where you are and what you are doing so we don’t worry” scold Geonwoo

After saying what needed to be said, the trio walked away. Yunho and Jaejoong exchange looks before they started to chuckle feeling like naughty children being scolded by their parents. After taking their warm showers they return to the kitchen where everyone gathered and started to eat dinner. Like usual the food was good and the atmosphere was great. It was loud with Geonwoo and Hyun Ae’s usual arguments while Soomin scolded them. Yunho will get irritated and take away their food unless they apologize to each other and calm down. Even though this family didn’t have much…even though they went through so much difficulties…even though they only have each other and no one else…they were still able to smile and laugh. They didn’t let the sadness, the challenges and the hardship stopped them from moving forward. Jaejoong on the other hand wasn’t strong like them. When things got tough…when he felt like his life was worthless…he took the easy way out or that’s what it seems. He isn’t sure what had happen in the past or who that man was and unsure where his future lies…he will make it his priority to protect this little family.

Soon everyone had turn in for the night however jaejoong couldn’t sleep. There was too much going on in his head as he stays up and started to paint. The window was left open to allow some fresh air into the room as the sound of ocean waves echoed throughout the night.

“Who is that?” Yunho asked from behind jaejoong startling him

“I’m not sure…” spoke jaejoong

Yunho look at the painting. Compare to the usual bright colors jaejoong use…this one was in black and grey…full of nothing but dark colors. It was a painting of a man’s faces…a sinister face that gives Yunho the chills.

“Don’t tell me you are trying to do spooky painting now?”

Jaejoong paused as he looks at the picture in front of him. He had painted it from his memory hoping that he would at least remember it by drawing out the outline and filling in the shadows. Yunho could see the troubled expression on jaejoong’s face as he sat down behind jaejoong and lean his back against his.

“You are making that face again…” spoke Yunho

Jaejoong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter