chapter 11

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sorry for taking so long to update...life has gotten pretty hectic lately barely giving my any time to write the next chapter :)

____________________________________________________________

Lightning strike across the darken sky as thunder roared loudly. Rain drops begin to come down heavily as it splashed against the window. The wind howled strongly shaking every glass windows in the entire mansion. A young Jaejoong could be seen sitting in his room painting away without a single light. It was as if he could still see the bright colors on his palette in the darkness. Another lightening flashed bringing lights into the room. It revealed his slender figure and the dark circles under his eyes as a sign that he had not slept for days. It was as if he is there physically but mentally he is somewhere else. His expression did not reflect any more life as his eyes has become dull and boring.

“What is it that you wish? Tell me and I will grant it for you” a voice echoed in the room

Lightening flashed as bits of lights enter the room. Jaejoong moved his full lips before his lips curved into a smile as the light disappeared.

Jaejoong opened his eyes and notices darkness around him. He could hear the sound of waves splashing against the cliff and rocks nearby. This was a clear indication that he was no longer dreaming but is awake. He slowly sat up as the blanket slide down and rest around his slender waist. He still looked dazed with a bitter expression on his face. It wasn’t until the sound of Yunho snoring next to him snapped him out of his thoughts. Just looking at Yunho’s peaceful sleep and hearing the soft sound of his breathing calmed jaejoong. He turns his gaze from Yunho to the window and notices the moon hovering above them shining brightly. Even though Yunho had advised him to forget the past, he can’t seem to escape it. Once everything has been revealed, will he loose this heaven he found?

As the sun rises in the horizon, the peaceful morning was interrupted by a loud ringing that continues to echo throughout the rooms. Yunho was the first to wake up as he groan with annoyance wondering who could be interrupting their sleep so early in the morning especially when Yunho barely get a good night sleep. When he exited the room, SooMin and the others have also awoken to the irritable sound.

“I’ll get it…” Yunho spoke to Soomin before walking toward the door and open it “Who is it?”

Standing in front of him is a woman possible in her late 40’s in a floral summer dress wearing dark sunglasses. Her long black hair has been braided down her back and next to her are 3 luggages.

“Looks like you have grown into quite the handsome man…” she spoke before removing her sunglass to reveal two familiar brown eyes looking back at him.

Yunho on the other hand just froze where he stood staring back at this woman he used to call mom. He never thought that he will ever have to lay eyes on this woman again and yet here she stands in front of him smiling as if nothing had happen.

“Who is it?” Came Geonwoo’s tiresome voice

“Is that my Geonwoo?!” their mother shouted happily before pushing pass Yunho and quickly hugged Geonwoo “My goodness…the last time I saw you, you were still a baby…and now look at you…you are as handsome as Yunho although you took after my look more then your father”

Geonwoo however did not recognize his mother as he quickly parted way with her and went to her sister’s side

“Hyung…who is this crazy woman?” Geonwoo asked

“Crazy woman? Is that any way to speak to the woman who give birth to you?” their mother spoke

“Give birth to me?” Geonwoo begin to think until it clicks “Ah! You are our mother?! The woman who abandoned our dad for dead and left the family with a younger man”

“Yah Geonwoo…” SooMin scolded him asking him to watch his mouth

Their mother only looks at Geonwoo’s eyes before turning to Yunho “I see you don’t keep anything a secret”

“What are you doing here?” Yunho glared at the woman he used to call mother who has now become a stranger to him

“Don’t look at me with such scary eyes…it’s been years so I figure I come back to see how my children are doing”

Yunho let out a bitter chuckle “children? It’s amazing that you still remembers you have children…the last time I check you left us pretty easy as if we meant nothing to you”

His mother was quiet for a moment before speaking “Years have passed…can’t we just leave all the horrible things to the past? Why must you keep such a grudge against your mother?”

“Grudge?....you left us…you abandon us….even when dad was sick and could barely support us…you never showed your face…when dad was in the hospital hanging onto his life…I couldn’t even find you! we are on our own…we were scared and you were nowhere to be found…even after dad passed away, you didn’t even show your face at his funeral…I was only in my teens and I had to shouldered everything…put together my dad’s funeral…dropping out of school…taking up a job…and work my off to support my brother and sisters when it should have been your job!! It may just be a simple thing you could forget but not me…you did not go through the things we had to go through…” Yunho glared at her with true hatred before making way at the door “please leave…you are no longer welcome here…”

Their mother look at Yunho’s hateful eyes before turning her gaze to her other children’s eyes as they refuse to make eye contact with her. They only kept their eyes upon the floor but base on their expression, they also shared the same hatred. Jaejoong stood by the bedroom door looking at them. He can’t help but feel their pain, feel their frustrated and hatred but at the same thing he could also feel their hidden longing to be with their mother again. He could also tell that their mother wants to start anew with them. However this has become impossible because their hatred is far stronger toward her.

“I see I’m not wanted…I’ll leave…” she spoke before taking a few steps

“Wait!” Jaejoong called out to her “The travel here must be long and tiring…and considering the fact that you came straight here means you don’t have a hotel book or have eaten yet…at least stay for breakfast…”

“Jaejoong…what are you doing?!” Yunho asked

“It’s okay Yunho…it’s just for breakfast…” spoke jaejoong

Yunho wanted to protest however looking into those worrisome eyes, he couldn’t say no before turning to his mother

“After breakfast…you better leave” he said before walking into the bathroom and slammed the door.

“Geonwoo…can you help with her luggage and bring it inside?” asked jaejoong as Geonwoo nodded his head “This place may be small but please make yourself at home” he smiled before guiding her to the living room and gestured for her to sit.

Yunho mother’s sat down and started to look around the room. There were cracks on the wall with some wallpaper already peeling. The place was small and cramped. It surprised her that this place could still stand without falling apart.

“Jaejoong…why did you invite for her to stay…” Soomin whispered to him

“Look…I know you guys have your history with your mother…but I think it’s about time we sort everything out…it is not healthy to hold onto those grudges and hatred for the rest of your life…” smile Jaejoong as he went to the kitchen and started to look to see what he can make.

Hyun Ae didn’t want to look at her mother so she went back to her room and slammed the door shut. Soomin helped jaejoong with preparing and cooking breakfast leaving Geonwoo with nothing to do. He was about to go into the girl’s bedroom as well however jaejoong stopped him.

“Go and keep your mother company” he whispered

“Why me? I don’t even know her?” Geonwoo whispered back

“It’s because you don’t know her that makes you the best candidate to keep her company…unlike your siblings…you have yet to develop hatred and anger toward her…so go and get to know her” he smiled before shoving a nervous Geonwoo toward his mother.

After taking a long and hot shower, Yunho prepare himself to face his mother once more before stepping out of the bathroom fully refreshed. He notices Geonwoo sitting in the living room talking with his mother while Jaejoong and Soomin are in the kitchen cooking. From the look of it, Hyun Ae probably isolated herself in the bedroom until breakfast has been completed. Now it leaves him one question, what is he going to do? Should he go to his bedroom and isolate himself like a child or force himself to face this woman before him?

Jaejoong was standing in the kitchen transferring some eggs into a plate when he spotted Yunho standing in the hallway staring at his mother and Geonwoo. Jaejoong could tell that behind those angry eyes lies a nervous child unsure of how to act in front of his mother whom he had not seen for years.

“Yunho…can you come help me put these plates onto the table” Jaejoong called out to him

Upon Jaejoong’s voice Yunho turn and entered the kitchen missing the look from his mother. She watched as he started to talk to Jaejoong. She watched as Yunho’s irritated expression changed into one of pure joy that he even chuckled. SooMin even seem closed to Jaejoong as she asked for his opinion on the dish she is making. Once he praised on the taste, SooMin’s face will lights up brightly. Yunho’s mother couldn’t remember when was the last time she saw these two child smile and chuckle so happily. Compare to Hyun Ae and Geonwoo, the one who suffered the most was most likely the two older children who was matured enough to understand what was happening.

“Hyung! I want to try it too” shouted Geonwoo as he quickly left his mother’s side and went into the kitchen where the others has gathered.

Their mother watched as Jaejoong carefully placed some food onto a spoon and handed it to Geonwoo before advising him to be careful since it is still hot. Once he tried the food, he became overly happy and was smiling so wide. She can’t help but feel out of place…feel like the outsider. In front of her looked like a warm and loving family. Has she become an intruder? Someone who is interrupting this peaceful family?

“Mrs. Jung…” jaejoong called to her with a gentle smile “breakfast is ready…please come and joins us”

She got up and walked to the kitchen as Yunho is forced to pull another chair out for their mother. Jaejoong was even able to get Hyun Ae out of the bedroom and join them at the table as a whole. Once everyone has gather Jaejoong smiled although the tension is still there ruining the perfect reunion image in his mind.

“Please don’t be shy…eat anything you like” jaejoong said

“t-thank you…” the mother spoke a bit nervous

It was Geonwoo who started to eat first and then Hyun Ae also digs in before the rest did. Like usual breakfast is filled with laughter, smiles and argument. It was loud but at the same time it was nice. Their mother has yet to touch the food as she only watched her children. She could only imagine what they were forced to go through. If it was her, she will probably give up already and yet her children didn’t. Even without a mother…without a father…they somehow managed to survive. They are strong, very strong children she had given birth to and for that she is grateful.

Jaejoong notice her watching with sadden eyes and haven’t touched her food. He turns his gaze to Yunho and gestured for him to do something but Yunho refuses. But with a hard kick from jaejoong from under the table, Yunho had no choice. He took his chop sticks and pick up a p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter