Chapter 12

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

          As the clock struck 9 Pm, the entire village begins to prepare for sleep and rest. The noisy afternoon became dead silence as sound of waves filled the air once more. After a long day of fishing, Yunho finally made it home totally exhausted. The only thing in his mind was shower, eat and then off to bed before the same routine repeats tomorrow morning. He was too tire to care about anything else and did not want to think about the matter regarding his mother. Yunho yawned as he made it through the front door but was quick to notice his siblings were gone. There wasn’t any light inside except for the kitchen. He made his way there and spotted Jaejoong sitting alone by the kitchen table. Two can of beers were sitting on the table with one in his hand. He looked dazed like something is troubling him to the point of wanting to drink alone. To Yunho this was a sight he had never seen from jaejoong. To see him look to sad…so troubled…so pained made his heart ache. At this point should Yunho tried to force out something from jaejoong or just let it slide like usual? How can he help this man before him if this man refuses to open his heart completely?

“You could have waited until I get home…I’ll be more than happy to be your drinking partner” smile Yunho as he took a seat across from Jaejoong where a few plates of food laid.

Jaejoong was startled upon Yunho’s voice; he was still deep in thoughts that he had forgotten the time.

“Sorry for taking some without your permission” Jaejoong return with a apological smile

Yunho could feel something was off with Jaejoong. The usually cheerfulness…the usual bright aura….the gentle smile was no longer there.

“Ah…I almost forgot…you must be hungry…I’ll warm up the food for you” said Jaejoong as he tried to stand up but he must have drank too many as he became light headed.

“Please sit down...you are in no position to even stand…I’ll warm it up myself” smile Yunho as he stood up and heated the food in the microwave before setting them back down onto the table.

“Sorry Yunho…I…” Jaejoong spoke with a sorrowful voice “I…don’t know what is happening to me…I didn’t want you to see this part of me…”

“Don’t worry about it…I’m kind of glad I get to see a side that no one else had seen yet…it’s kind of intriguing…” Grin Yunho as he took a bite before pausing to look down at the dish before him like some unknown food.

“What’s wrong?” Jaejoong asked

“This…this dish…did you…made it?” he asked fearing the answer to his question. The taste and the texture were too familiar. It tasted just like something he had eaten when he was young.

Jaejoong could see the bitter look on Yunho’s face as he lightly shook his head “it wasn’t me…It was your mother…she came by today and I went shopping with her…she wanted to make you guys dinner and stated you love her beef stew…she told me many stories about your childhood…”

Yunho didn’t say a word as he only looks at the stew in disbelief

“I know you hate her…but at least give her some credit for trying…”

Yunho placed his spoon down as he kept his gaze low “I don’t’ know what it is that she is truly after…for so many years we have not heard as much as a single call or mail from her since she ran away…and yet out of the blue she return without a single call…It’s…unsettling…I can’t help but think there is something she wants…something she is after…..”

Jaejoong look at the bitterly painful expression on Yunho’s face “I don’t blame You for thinking that way…if it was me...I will probably think like that too…but…just keep in mind that she is regretting it…she is trying to reach out to you guys no matter how long it takes…just take your time to think it through…take your time to sort out your thoughts and feeling…no matter if you will allow her back into your life or continue to shut her out…I will support you…” he smiled

Yunho look at Jaejoong’s smile and it pains him, how could Jaejoong continue to encourage others…continue to smile…continue to support those around him and yet pay little attention to himself.

“Do you…always have to do that?” Yunho asked

“Do what?”

“Smile…do you always have to force yourself to smile…force yourself to be cheerful when you are not? Is it hard to let others know…let me know about what is going through your head…what kind of thoughts or feeling that is filling you up?”

Jaejoong became quiet as he lowers his gaze no longer wanting to meet Yunho’s gaze

“I had said before that I don’t care about your past…I don’t care about what secrets you may be hiding or how many there are…but…I at least wish you can open up with me a little…” said Yunho as he started to eat the food in front of him once more without looking at jaejoong.

An awkward silence filled the air as neither Yunho nor Jaejoong spoke a single word. Only the sound of waves could be heard from the open window as a light ocean breeze blew into the room. Jaejoong remembered the memories he had forgotten as it flashed before his eyes. His wish, the man with the sinister smile and all the sins he had commitment in the past was weighing down on him making it hard to breath. It wasn’t like he doesn’t want to rely on Yunho but rather he is scare of what Yunho will think. To this little family, Jaejoong is their angel...their savior…their light and hope for a brighter future but what will they think once they learned that Jaejoong had killed…had used his gift of painting to bribe ghost to kill those who have done him wrong. To make matter worst, he had gotten himself involve with a man 10 years his senior, a man who smile resemble a devil, a man who granted his sorrowful wish. The true reason he has been traveling without staying anywhere for a long time is because he feared, fear that the truth will catch up to him…fear that his true nasty self will surface and reminded him of his past deeds.

Jaejoong lifted his gaze to meet Yunho and wondered if this man will really truly listen to him and not judge him, will he still think of Jaejoong as his angel…as his light even after finding out the truth? The doubt in him pains him like someone is jabbing a knife into his flesh.

“…..you aren’t who you use to be anymore…you were once beautiful and full of life…that’s why the world fell in love with you…that’s why I feel in love with you…that’s why we became lovers….but now…you have become a burden…the only thing that is beautiful now is just your painting…”

These words replay over and over in Jaejoong’s head as he wonder if Yunho will think the same way once the truth is out.

“OI…OI! Jaejoong ah!!” Yunho’s loud voice ringed through the air snapping Jaejoong out of his thought.

Before he knew it, Yunho had already come around to his side of the table with a worrisome look on his face.

“What is wrong with you?! Are you not feeling well?! You suddenly went completely white that even your lip was turning a bit blueish”

Upon his words, Jaejoong touched his lip and could feel it being cold.

“That’s it! I’m taking you to the hospital!” snap Yunho as he grabbed onto Jaejoong and force him out of his chair however jaejoong took a fall to the ground startling Yunho

“Are you okay?! Should I carry you?” he asked in a panic

Jaejoong only shook his head “I’m alright…I’m fine…I might have drunk too much…”

“Too much? You only drank 3 can of beer…I have seen you drank at most 6 without turning pale on me…I may not have finished school nor am I that smart but I am not stupid enough to not see these unnatural signs…”

Jaejoong reached over and pulled Yunho into a hug startling him “this is good enough…just stay like this…” he whispered these word to Yunho’s ear.

Being this close to Jaejoong, Yunho could feel his heart racing like he is running a marathon. Even his body was starting to heat up as he is unsure of what to do in this situation. But feeling jaejoong cling on to him so desperately made Yunho unable to reject him. He doesn’t know what is going on with Jaejoong, but he will do what he can to help this beautiful man.

‘”sorry Yunho…I’m so sorry…I’m so sorry…” jaejoong continue to whisper these words as he held onto Yunho tightly who has now sat down on the ground with Jaejoong in his arm. Yunho wrapped his arm around jaejoong’s slender body

“It’s alright…it’s okay…” he whispers these words in return to hopefully calm jaejoong

When jaejoong has finally calmed he ends up drifting to sleep in Yunho’s arm. As quiet as he could, he carried Jaejoong to the bedroom and laid him down nicely before pulling the soft blanket over his body. Yunho sat down next to jaejoong and watched as he breaths in and out softly. He reached over and softly massages Jaejoong’s head before brushing the bangs away from his face. At this point Yunho notice a single tear falling. He wiped it away with his thumb and turns his gaze toward the full moon that hovers above them shining brightly.

The next morning Yunho had gotten up early and left before heading to the hotel his mother is currently staying in. He figures he could have a quick chat before heading off to work. After finding her room number from the front desk, he made his way up the elevator until he reached the 6th floor. The closer he gets to the room, the more his heart race and the more nervous he became. The last thing he wanted to do is go directly to the source of his anger and hate but after what happen last night, he had to ask her since she was the last person Jaejoong was with. Once at the door he took a deep breath before knocking on the door. After a minute, he hear the door knob turning as his mother appear before him still wearing her bathrobe and hair washed as if she just gotten out of the shower.

“This is a pleasant surprise…I never thought you will come see me” she spoke

“Neither did I…can I come in?…I have to discuss something with you”

His mother only glanced at his serious expression before stepping aside to allow him entrance as she closed the door behind her.

“What is it that you want to discuss with me? it must be important for you to come so early…” she asked before sitting down next to a large vanity set mirror while combing her hair

“I heard you went shopping with jaejoong…”

“Yes…the last time I check…that wasn’t a crime…”

“What did you say to him…?”

His mother paused as she looks at his reflection on the mirror. She could already guess that something must have happen last night and in Yunho’s eyes, she has become a suspect.

“If you are carious…why not ask him yourself” she spoke before combing her hair again

Yunho only lower his gaze “he…is sleeping and I don’t want to ask him…I want to hear it directly from you…”

His mother sigh “I did not say anything that will cause trouble between you two…all we did was went shopping…talk about me…talk about the family…and then we went home to your place to make dinner…he seemed normal…he was cheerful and talkative like usual…a very gentle and kind man indeed who cares a lot about you guys…”

Yunho recalls the scene from last night and highly doubt that was all to it.

“Yunho…I know you suspect that I must have say or did something to your beloved Jaejoong but I did not…I may have run off on you guys and left you to fed for yourself after your father passed but I am not a horrible enough person

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter