Chapter 14

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When she spoke those words, a wave of coldness washed over jaejoong as the image of his ex-lover flashed before his eyes. At just the mention of a bad man or someone who will want to pick him, he knew right away who it could be. But a little part of him hoped that it wasn’t true, hoped that the past he wanted to leave behind will not catch up to him.

“Did you…” he spoke “did you meet him?”

The little girl did not say a word. It was as if her lips have been glue shut once again. In fact she did not nod her head or shook her head. She only kept her eyes at jaejoong but the concern that reflected in those big brown eyes was enough to answer his question. To think that someone as young as her is so unlucky to run into such a cruel and devilish man who enjoy the suffering of others. While deep in thoughts, he could feel a light tug on his shirt as he look at the girl before him. The concern has doubled as she fears for his safety.

Jaejoong smiled the best he could before reaching out to pat her on the head “Don’t worry…I’ll be fine….Yunho will protect me”

She return a smile confident that the big fisher man who seems to treasure this beautiful man could save his soul from the darkness that is trying to devour him. Jaejoong look at the picture in his hand closer and realized that she had put a name next to the little girl.

“Jang…mi…” he pronounced the name softly before lifting his gaze to meet her as she nodded her head to confirm that this is her name.

For some reason this name resonated loudly in his mind as if he had heard it before. However he couldn’t remember where he had heard it. Jaejoong had wanted to ask her some more questions but she had left his side and returns to the small brown table and started on another master piece. He wanted to know more about this little girl…wanted to know where and when did she encounter that man as well as how did she find him. But deep down Jaejoong knew keeping such a young ghost bonded to his world will not be good. From his experience, the longer a ghost remind among the living, the harder it is for them to return to where they needed to go. A young ghost will most likely be influence by the time and flow of the living making them more attached. He will have to somehow figure out who she is…figure out what her purpose is…and hopefully get her to rest in peace.

Jaejoong wasn’t the only one with a troublesome task as Yunho also found himself in a troublesome situation by encountering a man who he had never seen before. He looks at this tall man from the head down to his toe. He looked to be around his mid 30’s. The tall man had introduced himself as Shim changmin but Yunho didn’t hear anything about a new recruit joining the team. Just who is he and why was he down here by himself?

“The boss didn’t tell you did he?” Changmin asked after noticing the strange look from Yunho

“Apparently he didn’t…” said Yunho

Changmin pouted “and here I thought you came down here to show me the ropes…how could he forget to inform you that I will be joining the team from now on…but…if he didn’t tell you then what should I do? Should I go back home?”

“Home? We are in the middle of the ocean...”

“Oh dear…that will be a problem”

Yunho scratched the back of his head unsure of what to do “Yah! Old man!! Come down here right now!!” he shouted from below the deck.

Upon hearing Yunho’s loud voice, his boss descended the stairs “why are you shouting at the top of your lung…by the way didn’t I tell you not to call me old man…”

Yunho gestured to Changmin “he says you recruited him to join the team….is that right?”

His boss paused as he looks at changmin before rubbing his chin “hmmm…I don’t recall….”

“Now that hurts….” Changmin made a hurtful expression “we were drinking last night remember? I told you that I just move into town and didn’t have a job so you told me to come work for you…you even told me I could start today that’s why I’m here…how could you forget?”

Yunho turn to his boss “this is why I told you not to drink so much…have you forgotten the last 3 times this happen? We end up firing them after 2 days…it’s a waste of time and effort”

His boss turn to look at changmin before turning back to Yunho “well…I can’t remember much but give him a chance…I’ll leave him in your care”

“What?! I still have other responsibilities…beside…training new recruit is your job isn’t it?”

“yes but we all know you are the one who is actually in charge….I carry the name of boss…I own this fishing business and I pay you guys but you run everything here so you are the best candidate…good luck” said his boss as he ascended the stairs leaving behind a disbelief Yunho and confuse changmin

“Uh…what should I do?” Changmin asked Yunho as he only sighs

“Just follow me…”

Yunho end up showing Changmin around the boat, giving him all the information he needed as well as introduce him to the rest of the team. Compare to the other worker, changmin show more back bone. He was active, strong, determines to do his job well and not to mention that his height really came in handy. The only thing out of the ordinary with changmin his is huge appetite. Watching him chow down 2 foot long sandwiches, 3 bags of chip, 2 can of soda and still say he’s hungry was unbelievable.

“I heard from the others that you live alone with your siblings…” Came Changmin’s voice as he sat down next to Yunho during their lunch break.

“Those guys sure love to talk…don’t they have better conversation other than about me and my life” he spoke before eating his bento full of delicious food that made Changmin’s mouth water

“You must have married a great wife to be having something so splendid to eat compare to the rest of us…” he smiled

Yunho could see him eyeing his bento with desires as he shoved the bento to Changmin “you can have the rest…I’m full…”

“Really?!” Changmin’s eyes lights up before happily taking the bento.

“For one thing…I am not married yet…it was made by my friend”

“The food is so good!! This friend of yours must be a chief…is she married? Does she have a boyfriend? If she is single…do you mind if I married her?”

Yunho flinched upon the mention of marriage as he felt irritated. There was no way Yunho was going to allow this newbies squeeze himself in between Yunho and the love he is planning to hold tightly.

“Sorry…but it’s a man…” spoke Yunho feeling like the gender will push Changmin away

“No worries…I’m bi so I can do either…”

This surprised Yunho for not everyone will admit they are gay or bi so openly. Most people will try to hide it or deny it but changmin is different. But then again Yunho never really think it through either when he discovers his true feeling for Jaejoong who is also a man. If he likes jaejoong in a romantic way then does that make him gay even though he isn’t interested in any other men or is he Bi as well?

“Introduce him to me please!” Changmin begged hoping to get more delicious food to eat for the rest of his life.

“No!” Yunho snapped before realizing he had let his irritation take over “s-sorry…my friend is very precious to me…I don’t…want to see him get hurt….”

Changmin only look at Yunho before grinning widely “I see it now…so that’s how it is…sorry…you could have just told me that you love him…”

Yunho immediately blush “you…you…GO MOP THE DECK!” he shouted

“Ehhh!” Changmin pouted unsure what he did to receive such a punishment.

As day became night, the fishing boat finally docked at the port. All the fishes has been collected and counted before driving off to the storage facility. All the crew members were exhausted but not as much as Yunho who felt like just having changmin constantly talking to him and asking question drained all his energy. All he wanted to do now is go home and recharge by being with jaejoong. Yunho stretched his arm out into the open air before smiling. He only took a step when his crew members grabbed him with wide grin on their faces. Before Yunho knew it, he was dragged to a celebration welcoming the new recruit Shim Changmin.

“Sorry Jaejoong ah…I’ll make sure to get home before midnight” Yunho apologize over the phone

Jaejoong could hear the loud chattering and laughter over the phone as he smiled “don’t worry…just don’t drink too much…if you can’t drive home…grab a texi or call me…”

“Yeah I will…”

With that being said Yunho hang up the phone and so did Jaejoong. He sighs before turning around to look at the food that has been heated and waiting for Yunho. Since the man of the house isn’t coming home, Jaejoong cleared the table and placed the left over back into the fridge. At this moment SooMin walked out of the room after studying for the exam.

“Yunho isn’t home yet?” She asked

“No…apparently they have a new recruit so he is being forced to join the celebration”

“Now that is strange…usually he is very good at avoiding these kind of things…no matter how many recruits or how many drinking celebration the crew have…Yunho always decline and hurry home…”

“Maybe because another grown adult is around so he feels more at ease knowing you guys are being carefully watch”

“Don’t make me sound like a kid…I am an adult as well…”

Jaejoong chuckled “of course…my bad…how are studying coming along?”

SooMIn only sigh “it’s hard but…it’s going great…can’t wait to finish college and not have to do homework or study anymore”

“I know what you mean…”

SooMin took a glass of water before heading toward her room “Don’t worry about Yunho…he is a responsible drinker…” she smiled before entering and closing the door

To be honest, Jaejoong wasn’t worry about him. If he has to be honest of his feeling, it will be more of loneliness. He was use to Yunho coming straight home, chatting with him and share laughter. To suddenly have Yunho go somewhere else then home make jaejoong feel lonely. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter