Chapter 1

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jung Yunho had it tough growing up. He didn’t come from a loving family but a family with many problems. He didn’t have as much as the other kids in his class nor was his lunch box the best but every day he still smiles. It wasn’t because he is content with his life but it was the only way he can forget the trouble at home. Whenever he smiles, others will smile back and his day will bright up a little more. At the age of 10, his mother had an affair and ran off with her lover leaving his father to care for him and his 3 other siblings. When she left, the youngest was only 1 year old. His father had to work day and nights to make ends meet and being only 10 years old, Yunho had to take care of his siblings. He had to grow up faster than the other kids and learns things a 10 years old is not supposed to learn yet. Even though he loves his siblings, at night he will cry to himself wondering why his mother had abandoned them. Was it something he did to upset her? Was it because she didn’t love them anymore? Or was it because of his father? So many questions were left unanswered but someone needed to be blame for why his mother left them. Thus leading him to blame his father, he believes his father was not doing everything he can to keep his mother. He felt like his father didn’t love his mother as much as a husband is supposed to. He recalls them arguing every night up to when she left. But as he grew older he realizes it wasn’t his fault, it wasn’t that his father didn’t love his mother, it was because his mother no longer desire to be part of their family. She had fall out of love for his father and turn to younger man with endless fortunes. Just when things were starting to get better, his father fell ill when he was only 15 years old. Being bedridden without work, made them suffer financially. Yunho drop out of school and took up his father’s job as a fisher man. With the money he earns, he buys medicine for his dad and pay for school fees for his siblings.

“Mianhae Yunho ah…” his father apologized to him one summer night as they stay up to watch the stars and hear the soft splashing of ocean waves.

“what is there to apologize for?...” said Yunho as he sat next to his father eating a watermelon slice

“It’s because I was not a good enough father that all of you have to suffer…it’s because I was not strong enough that you had to drop out of school to work…”

“don’t apologize for something like that dad…I’m the oldest…I’m the one who will have to look after you and the rest…” Yunho took a bite of his watermelon as silence filled the air. A cool summer breeze blew pass them before his father spoke again.

“Yunho…what is your dream?”

“Dream?...” Yunho smile bitterly “I don’t dream anymore dad…I don’t have the time or the luxury to think about other things other than finding ways to help you and my sibling…”

Yunho’s father lowers his gaze in sadness that his son will speak such sad words. Everyone should be able to dream, have a goal in life and do the things they love and yet Yunho have completely tossed aside all his dreams.

“Yunho ah…what do you say about going to go live with your Aunt in Seoul?”

Yunho turn to his father in shock “why?”

“I was thinking that I am getting better so I wanted to go back to work. You can go back to school in Seoul and pursue your dream…”

“Dad...what are you trying to say?” Yunho asked a bit irritated at the thought that his father is actually thinking of sending him away.

“Don’t get me wrong Yunho, I am not trying to send you away…I want you to continue school, study hard and get a good job…”

“Dad…I want to stay here…”

His father only smiled as he reached over and gentle caress Yunho’s head “You have done enough for us all…now it is time for you to think about yourself…think about what you want to do…When you have accomplish your dreams…we will still be here waiting for you with open arms…I want you to go and see the world…experiences things that will expand your knowledge…I don’t want you to stay here in this little village wasting your youth watching over me and your siblings…we will be fine so you don’t have to worry”

Yunho wasn’t able to say anything when he looked at his father’s hopeful smile. It made him think that he is the only hope to bring his family out of this slum and into a much better life. If leaving his home to pursue a career will do this then he will do as his father wants him to do. Once he has a good paying job, he will return and shower his family with the love and luxuries that his mother desired and left them for. Just when Yunho started studying for the examination to enter into a good school in Seoul, his father’s condition got worst and soon passed now leaving him to watch over his siblings alone. His future became uncertain as he resumed his job as a fisherman to make sure there were foods at the table for his brother and sisters. Now at age 25, Yunho still continues his daily routines but things have gotten a bit better now that his siblings have grown with the youngest being 15 year old. Even though he had faced many suffering, he was still able to live his life every day with a smile.

A ferry pulled to the docking port of Jeju island as people begin to walk off the boat. The sky is clear of clouds as the sun shine brightly. Seagulls could be seen flying high above the sky as it sings happily soaring through the cool breeze of the ocean. Among the crowds of passengers that exited the boat, there is a young man dressed in a simple white T-shirt with a long sleeve red platted shirt tied to his slender waist. He wore a long faded blue jean with black ankle boots. Unlike the others who only have a small bag to carry, he had on a large back pack as if he is going camping while holding onto two more bags with a camera strapped around his neck. He wore a black cap blending in with his long silky black hair that framed his face perfectly. After stepping off the boat he dropped his two bags and stretched his arms out into the open space before smiling.

“After so many years I am finally back…” he thought happily before grabbing his bags again and headed down the dock toward solid ground.

“Wait mister!” a female voice ringed through the air as she ran toward him with something in her arm “you forgot this?” She held up a small painting of the ocean “I saw you painting this while on the boat and I didn’t want you forgetting something so beautiful…” she blushed a bit upon how beautiful the young man looked up close with his pale white skin, big brown eyes and full pink lips.

“Do you like it?” he asked her in a soft and gentle voice

“eh?” she looks at him with glittering eyes

“If you like it you can have it”

Her face immediately lights up “really?!”

He return a warm smile “yep…as you can see, I barely have any free hand to hold that canvas…I rather it go to someone who will love and cherish it rather than getting dirty with me…”

“T-then I’ll take it...t-thank you”

“Just make sure to let the paint dry up a bit more…” smile the young man as he bid her goodbye and left.

She stood there still mesmerize by his beauty. She had her fair share of pretty boys but this guy just broke the record in her view. She turns her gaze back to the painting in her hand and she couldn’t believe that someone actually painted this. It made the ocean looks so beautiful that even at home staring at this painting you will feel like you are at the beach looking at the ocean. She can’t explain it but the color, the mixture of different color paints filled her up with a warm and happy feeling as if this painting has some kind of magical power.

Yunho just got done with his fishing trip as he pulls the boat to line up at the dock. He ordered his little brother to go down and tied the rope onto the large metal pole on the dock.

“Are you done?” Yunho called out to his little brother

“Done captain!” his little brother shouted as he gives Yunho a salute earning himself a grin from his older brother.  Yunho turn of the engine as he walked to the deck of the boat with a satisfy look on his face for today’s catch were more than usual.

“Hyung, I gotta get going. I promise to meet up with Jaemin at the library”

“Fine…don’t be late for dinner you hear me”

“Yes…” his little brother responded before he started running down the dock toward the street.

“He sure is lively as usual” came the voice of an old man who happens to be Yunho’s boss and the owner of this fishing boat.

“If you think that’s lively you should see how he is back home…” grin Yunho as he wiped the sweats from his forehead and prepare a bucket to collect the fishes.

“If you have other things to do you can go Yunho, me and the others can take care of the fish here…”

“nah...it’s okay…” Yunho smiled

Yunho’s boss sigh “you work too hard you know…you are still young…try to enjoy your life a little more and think about other things as well such as…marriage…”

“Not this again boss…I already told you I can’t marry your daughter no matter how much you bring it up. It’s not like I don’t like her or that she isn’t beautiful…she is a very charming lady but right now I want to concentrate on my family first…”

“it’s just sad for a handsome young lad like you spending who knows how long a lonely man…marrying a good girl to help you take care of your family will make things easier for you don’t you think?”

“Boss…if you don’t drop the topic I’m going to quit”

“what?! After working for me for so long you are going to quit over something like this?!” the boss shouted in shock

“yes..”

The boss sigh “fine…You win…but I really do wish you will settle down and find love like everyone else your age…”

“I don’t need love right now…it will only complicate things…” said Yunho as he grab onto a rather large fish but this one was still pretty alive as it strongly want to live. The fish begin to struggle and slipped out of Yunho’s hand as he tried to catch it. The fish manage to squeeze out of Yunho’s hand as it fell over the boat.

The young man with black hair was walking down the dock in search for a boat that could take him across to one of those smaller islands near Jeju. After walking around for a few minutes he was not able to find anyone who is willing to take him saying something about a strong current near those smaller islands. He was in the middle of wondering what to do when out of nowhere a fish came down and hit him on the head. It wasn’t a small fish but a pretty big fish with some weight that caused him to groan in pain as he dropped his two bags.

“Are you okay?!” Yunho shouted from the deck of the boat

The young man looks at the fish at his feet jumping up and down desperately trying to breathe. He then turns his attention to Yunho as their eyes meet. Yunho was taken by surprise of how beautiful this person is with his perfectly shaped face, pale skin and big brown eyes. What shocks him even more is this isn’t a woman he is looking at but instead it’s a man.

“C-Can you bring me that fish please?” Yunho asked politely

The young man turns his attention from Yunho to the fish at his feet that is close to death. Without any hesitation the young man kicked the fish back into the water.

“YAH! WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!” Yunho shouted in shock that his hard work had lost a fish.

His boss only chuckled “well…that is coming from your paycheck”

Yunho glared at the young man below “you...You stay right there!”

He begin to make his way down the latter and walked right up to the young man before grabbing him by the color of his shirt.

“Do you know how much I could have gotten for that fish? You just cost me a great deal of money buddy!” glare Yunho

The young man wasn’t frightened of Yunho “sorry…I thought I heard you say put the fish in the water”

“You…are you stupid! What word did I speak that sound like water?”

“Yunho…just let it go…give the guy a break…” said his boss

Yunho look at his boss then back to the young man before releasing him and sigh “consider it your lucky day…any other fisherman would have broken your leg for something like that…”

The young man watched as Yunho begin to climb back onto the boat “wait! Is this your boat?”

“What does it matter to you?...” asked Yunho now irritated. Ever since the large catch, he had his eyes on that fish hoping it will bring in big bucks. Now the one fish he truly desire is back in the sea for another lucky fisherman.

“Do you think you can take me to that island?” he asked as he pointed straight ahead where a small island stood just a few miles away and a few minutes by boat.

“island? There is nothing there but deserted land…”

“There is something there that I want to see?”

“What? Trees and rocks?” joke Yunho “it doesn’t matter what it is…the current there is stronger and this isn’t my boat…go find someone else” he said as he got back onto the deck

The young man lowers his gaze in disappointment as he stare out to the small island across from the dock. Yunho notice his disappointing gaze and would love to help him out if he hadn’t kicked the fish over board into the water. Yunho was busy collecting the fishes into the buckets when the young man climbed onto the boat without permission.

“Interesting…so this is how it looks after a great catch…I have never been on a fishing boat like this before” he spoke with a smile

“You!...what are you doing up here?! Only worker is able to come up here” Yunho scolded him

The young man ignored Yunho as he walked toward the pile of fishes and bend down to touch them.

“he is an interesting young fellow ain’t he” spoke the boss

“You aren’t even going to kick him off the boat?” Yunho asked

“Nah…just let him be” he smiled

Yunho couldn’t believe his boss, he knew the boss is a kind hearted old man but he feel like he is too careless allowing stranger onto his boat. Yunho turn his attention back to the young man and watched as he took out a small notebook from his large back pack and started to sketch.

“What are you doing?” ask Yunho

“I’m drawing…I have never seen this kind of fish before…” answer the young man

Yunho raised an eyebrow wondering what kind of place did this guy came from if he haven’t seen these fish. For one thing it’s sold in every grocery store.

“Will you mind moving? We still have a lot to do here and you are blocking me” Yunho spoke coldly

“Sorry…” the young man stood up and step aside as Yunho continues to gather the fish separating the big one from the small one.

Before long the sun begin to set creating a beautiful red, yellow and orange color. Yunho and the crew finally got done collecting all the fish as they loaded the buckets onto a small vehicle on the dock. Once the last bucket is loaded, Yunho gesture for the driver to go and take the fish to the storage unit to freeze.

“Well…that’s it for today boys…great job” said the boss as he dismissed his employees as they bid farewell to one another.

Yunho looked at his watch and notice it had gotten pretty late. He still needed to go to the grocery store to buy some stuff for dinner. He turn his attention to the top of the boat and notice that the stranger is still sitting up there doing something by myself even though everyone had already left. Could it be that he is waiting for the area to be clear so he could steal something?

“What are you doing? Everyone had already gone home” said Yunho as he climbed back onto the boat but paused when he notice the young man painting. It is a picture of him and the other shipmates collecting the pile of fish. To Yunho’s amazement he got every detail perfectly. All the people in the painting actually looked like themselves.

“Amazing…” spoke Yunho as he leans closer startling the young man “so you are an artist…”

“Something likes that…” he smiled

“Why would you want to paint something like that? Don’t you want to focus on more beautiful thing?”

“This is beautiful…could you not see it? The hard work everyone put into catching the fish and then working together to collect the fish. The expression on your face shows your determination and yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter