Final chapter

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rain clouds started to form in the sky as thunder could be heard from above. Yunho sat in the back seat of the taxi while staring at his phone. He had tried calling jaejoong a few times and sent him a text but wasn’t able to get any response or get through to jaejoong. At this point Yunho was starting to get worried. He can’t help but remember what Junsu had said to him earlier this morning and the more he thinks about it the more he become nervous and scare. To save jaejoong from a living person is already hard enough but how do he save a person from a ghost? Not to mention the fact that a ghost could disappear or hide themselves makes it even harder. Things were much easier in the beginning. Yes, there were still ghosts that come around but at that time it was just jaejoong painting for them and they leaving on their own without any trouble. Just how did things become so dark so quick turning their peaceful days of laugh and smile into fear involving life or death?

Yunho turn his gaze out the window as he is reminded from the very beginning when he first meets jaejoong. At that time it must have been fate because the minute he laid eyes on jaejoong, deep down he knew this was the person who will change his life. Maybe it was this deep feeling that causes him to reach out to jaejoong. But it really surprised Yunho how much effect jaejoong have on his little family. He brought more smiles to them and the hope that they needed to keep moving forward. Jaejoong help reminded them that even though they have little, even though they aren’t a complete family without the parents, they still have each other and that is all it takes to smile and enjoy life. It wasn’t only them whom Jaejoong touched…the ghost he had helped to the living whom he had put at peace were all touched by him. For someone who has his own problem…has his own worries and fear…he set them aside to reach out to others. It is upsetting that jaejoong didn’t tell him the truth, it hurts that jaejoong couldn’t rely on him but at the end…jaejoong is still jaejoong. He is still the same man Yunho fell in love with and wanted to protect.

It wasn’t long until the taxi pulled to a stop in front of the Kim’s resident. It amazed Yunho how big the mansion is under the night sky; however the place looked kind of eerie. He felt a cold chill run up his body as his head is telling him to get back into the taxi and never come back. He paid the driver as the taxi drove away. He turns his gaze back to the large mansion and notice there weren’t any lights coming from inside. It was pitch black inside as well as the outside. Yunho hesitated to take a step forward unsure of what he should do when he do find jaejoong? Not to mention the fact that a ghost is trying to kill jaejoong. To make it worst, there might be a second culprit hiding somewhere in that large house ready to strike at him the minute he enters. Yunho couldn’t deny his fear nor does he have enough courage to face such danger. But he couldn’t leave jaejoong by himself…he couldn’t allow such horrible fate befall him…no matter how scary or how dangerous it become….he have to bring jaejoong back. Yunho took a deep breath before stepping forward toward the front gate.

In the meantime SooMin and the others waited back home with nothing but worries reflected upon their face. There were still so many questions that needed to be asked but there wasn’t any answer. They weren’t sure what was happening or what is going on. Ever since they woke up this morning, it was one thing after another. Everything happened to quick that the next thing they knew Yunho has left to go after jaejoong with such fear and concern. None of them spoke a word as they all sat in the living room in silence. It wasn’t until a knock came up on the door did SooMin got up to go answer. To her surprise it was their mother.

“Where is that damn Yunho?” she asked

SooMIn only looked at her wondering what Yunho did to upset her “He isn’t home…he left this morning”

Her mother entered the place and started to look around as if she didn’t believe SooMIn. After checking all the rooms and confirming Yunho isn’t home, she stopped in the living room and look at her children.

“No matter how old he is…he is still an annoying little brat…” she sighs heavily “how dare he leaves and left behind such a disturbing message”

“What did Yunho do?” GeonWoo asked

Their mother took out her phone and played the voicemail she received from Yunho not too long ago. All of them closely listens to the voicemail and could recognize his voice but there was something strange about his tone of voice.

“oemma….I’m leaving…I’m going after jaejoong…you probably already know this but I love him…I can’t stop loving him even though I know the truth…he helped us…he brought happiness back into our life that we no longer think about what we couldn’t have but value what we have…this time he needs my help so I’m going to where he is…if…if anything were to happen to me…please take care of the others…they deserve a loving mother…they deserve to have a mother at this side like every other kids out there…I hope this time you won’t abandon them because if something were to happen to me…they will be alone and I don’t want that…even if I’m not around…as long as you are with them…they will be alright…”

Their mother turn off the phone before the message reached the end. No one spoke a word as they tried to figure out what Yunho meant. Just the thought of him not returning was scary and hard to think about.

“Why…why would he leave you such a message?” SooMin asked fearing that she might not be able to see her brother again

“I don’t know…I tried calling him back but he wouldn’t answer…”

“no...no...no…this…this can’t happen…Yunho can’t disappear!” Hyun Ah shouted in disbelief “he only went to get jaejoong and then come back!!”

“Is this a joke? Is Yunho Hyung trying to play a trick on us? if so…this isn’t funny” spoke Geonwoo

SooMin took the phone from her mother and dialed the number to Yunho. It ringed and ringed but didn’t connect.

“We…we have to after him!” spoke Hyun Ah as she and her siblings agree. The three of them walked toward the door but then their mother blocked their way.

“Where exactly do you guys plan to go? Do you even know where he is?”

“Jaejoong lived in Seoul…we can go directly to his house” spoke Hyun Ah

“And do you know where he lives?”

“We can just search his address…” said Geonwoo

Their mother sigh “listen…I know you are worried but it’s best to just wait here for Yunho…”

“No!” the three of them spoke at the same time startling their mother

“After you and dad left, it was Yunho who took care of us…he give up everything he wanted to do and love in order to support us…” said SooMin

“Oppa never once complain about working so much or having to shoulder you and dad’s responsibilities…even after working for endless hours of shifts…he still spare time to take us out to play...help us with our homework…” said Hyun Ah

“Hyung was there for us…” Geonwoo spoke “he was always there for us no matter how busy he was…when we needed his help…he comes running…when we are sad…he comfort us…when we are angry…he tried to calm us down…when we misbehave…he scolded and lecture us….if we were wrongfully accused…he will stand up for us and prove our innocent…Hyung is everything to us…we…can’t lose him…if he is in trouble…if jaejoong hyung is in trouble…we want to help them…it’s our turn to return the favor”

Their mother looks at them from SooMin to Hyun Ah and then finally at Geonwoo. There was no fear in their eyes but just determination to help the people they loved. Feeling like she has been defeated, she sighs before smiling at her children. Even without a mother and a father…Yunho did a great job raising them to be so strong.

“Let’s go find Yunho shall we?”

When Yunho reached for the door knob the door automatically opened likes a scene out of a horror movie sending chills throughout his body. He slowly steps inside the mansion and the place is completely quite without a single light. The door behind him slammed shut startling him. This reminded him of a horror movie he had watched not too long ago and can’t help but felt like this might have the same tragic ending.

“Jaejoong ah….jaejoong ah…you in here…” he whispered but received no response.

Yunho tried turning on the lights but the electricity had gone out. He could hear the sound of thunder outside however rains have yet to fall upon the city. He sat his bags down by the front door and took out his cell phone. He turns on the flashlight app and started to look around the place. He first ventured into the living room and looking at the family pictures. To be able to see such a young picture of jaejoong made him smile. Jaejoong was beautiful as a child as much as he is as an adult. There weren’t much that changed about him. Yunho continues to look at the pictures until he came to a stop at a picture sitting on the shelf. It was a family picture of jaejoong with his deceased little sister, father and mother. Compare to the other pictures, this one made them look so normal as if they weren’t rich at all but it was the only picture that reflects the warmth. Suddenly he felt a cold air touched the back of his neck as he spun around and flashed his light however he didn’t see anyone. Yunho continued on with his search for the missing painter as he look into other rooms on the first floor before heading up the stairs to the second floor. At this rate Yunho wasn’t sure how long it will take him to look around this huge house?

“Jaejoong ah…jaejoong ah…” Yunho continues to call out his name hoping to get some kind of response.

Yunho came to a door and slowly push it open as the door creaked. He shined his phone into the room and walked inside. From the look of it, this must be the room jaejoong does his art work. It was a rather large room with all kind of painting stacked up against the wall. Unused painting supplies are seen mixed in with supplies that have already been used. A lone stencil stood in the middle of the room with an unfinished painting facing the window. He walked up to the painting on the stencil and reached out to touch it before feeling the dust upon his finger. It must have been ages since anyone was in this room or clean it considering the dust. This meant that jaejoong left home in the middle of painting this picture. He flashed his phone onto the painting as he carefully looks at what jaejoong was trying to paint before leaving that day. Only half was painted but Yunho could clearly make out a sadden face. Even though it was only half completed, yunho could feel the true sadness…the pain and the loneliness from this painting that it pains his heart to see. Tears could be seen at the corner of this person’s face as it reflects true despair. This was the first time Yunho had ever seen jaejoong painted such a sorrowful painting. Most of his paintings were happiness…bright and warm.

Suddenly he heard footsteps coming from behind him as he quickly turn around and flashed his lights toward the door way. At that moment he saw someone walked pass the door in the darkness of the hallway.

“Jaejoong?”

Yunho exited the door and look down the hallway. He could see someone walking in front of him. Base on the back, it looks like the beautiful painter he is searching for.

“Jaejoong ah? Is that you?” he called out.

This person didn’t turn around nor did he speak. Instead he entered a room up ahead. Yunho could hear the sound of the door opening and then closed. A cold icy chill run up his spine as his head is screaming for him to get the hell out but his heart wouldn’t bail out on jaejoong. He walked toward the door and reached for the doorknob. He could feel it icy cold even though the rest of the house was warm. Just touching it, he could feel the coldness traveled from his hand into his body. Yunho started to turn the door knob as it creaks echoing into the hallway. He pushed the door forward before shining his lights into the room. Like every normal horror movie, the battery on his phone died as the only light source he has disappeared covering him in darkness. A breath of cold air could be felt upon his face as if someone was standing right in front of him. Yunho clinched his fist tightly and closed his eyes trying to gather whatever strength he has inside before taking a step forward and into the room. Like the front door, the door behind him slammed shut. He reached for the door knob but the door wouldn’t budge. At this point he is trap inside a room without any way out.

He slowly turns around and spotted a figure standing at the other end of the room. The sound of thunder could be heard as lightening flashed from the sky sending a wave of lights into the room. Yunho’s eyes widen in complete shock and horror. Because of the lightening, Yunho was given a chance to see that he is in a room that is still being developed with all kind of tools and board inside. The wall from the other side of the room has been completely removed with only plastic wrap to keep the dirt and rain out. Standing right at the edge is kim jaejoong who looked like he is about to fall. As quick as the light came, it disappeared. Yunho had a flash back of the dream he had not too long ago of when jaejoong fell out the window but he couldn’t save him. This made Yunho desperate as he dashed forward before feeling something hit him at the back of his head causing him to fall forward. The pains traveled quickly as the back of his head begin to throb like a painful headache. He groaned before feeling the back of his head and felt some kind of liquid. Another flash of lightening sends light into the room as Yunho notice the liquid was blood. He turns around and spotted Changmin standing behind him with a bat in hand.

“C-changmin? Why…why are you here? Why…”

Changmin looked possessed; the expression on his face was that of a criminal about to take the life of his next victim. He swings his bat toward Yunho once more who managed to dodge regardless of the throbbing pain from the back of his head.

“Changmin ah!! Stop this!! What are you doing?!” Yunho shouted

Now that Yunho’s eyes have adjusted to the darkness he could kind of make out where Changmin is in the room as he dodged the attacks. Yunho was still confused as to what is going on. Wasn’t changmin his friend? Wasn’t changmin friendly and cheerful? Could this be the same changmin he trained on his ship? The same changmin he shared drink with? The same changmin who listened to his problem and give him advices?

Jaejoong on the other hand was still unconscious as his body is being held in place by Yoochun. Due to all the commotions in the room jaejoong finally awoken as he opens his eyes. The first thing he saw was the edge of the room. He could see the long drop to the cement ground below as he is reminded of the day he fell out of the window. The familiar fear emerged from within as he tried to step away from the edge but found that he couldn’t. In fact his body felt icy cold and numbed to the ground. He could see Yoochun standing right next to him, holding onto his hand as if to keep him from falling until the right time and release.

“Y-yoochun…” Jaejoong tried to speak but found it hard to move his tongue.

At this point he heard the commotion in front of him. As lightening flashed into the room, Jaejoong is overwhelmed with complete shock to see Yunho in the room fighting off changmin while bleeding.

“Yunho…why…why is he here?” Jaejoong wondered

He wanted to shout to Yunho but his tongue wasn’t working

“Just stand still and watch…let’s see if he could truly save you like you stated” spoke Yoochun with a grin

Jaejoong only glared at Yoochun with anger and disbelief. The whole reason why he came here was to protect Yunho and his siblings. But that seem useless because from the start, Yoochun had already planned to get Yunho involve. He tried to speak again but couldn’t. Everytime lightening flashed he could see Yunho struggling. Even without the lights from the upcoming rain, he could tell that Yunho wasn’t winning. He must have been bleeding from who knows how many spot. Not to mention that he has no weapon and is completely overwhelmed by changmin and his strength.

“Yunho…you idiot…why did you have to come? Even if I was to disappear…at least I knew you were safe…that was all I wanted….” Thought Jaejoong as he felt his heart aching and his chest tighten “did you even think about your siblings? Putting your life in danger for me will mean they might lose you…”

Memories of all the times he had spent with Yunho flashed before his eyes. That time of smiles and laughter filled his mind. It wasn’t only Yunho but the time he spent with Soomin, Hyun Aha and Geonwoo also appear as he felt even worst having to get Yunho involve. Another lightening flashed as the sound of rains could be heard splashing against the plastic wrap behind him. Upon the light, Jaejoong could see Yunho on the ground with changmin looming over him.

“Yunho…yunho…” jaejoong tried to speak before gathering all his strength “YUNHO!!!” he shouted loudly startling Yoochun

Upon his voice, Yunho was able to turn around and grab hold onto the bat before it hits him. As if the table has turned, Yunho forcefully yanked the bat away from changmin before tackling him to the ground. They started to struggle with each other while taking turn punching.

“You…are really starting to pisst me off?!” shouted Yunho “at that time you asked me to be your friend, was that a lie?!”

Yunho punched changmin on the face before changmin managed to push Yunho away with a hard kick. He tackled Yunho to the wall before dragging him onto the ground. He got on top of Yunho and threw a punch against his face

“That was a lie! The only reason I approached you was because I wanted jaejoong” spoke changmin

This only made Yunho angrier as images of the short time he spent with changmin flashed before his eyes. He grabs onto changmin’s shirt and flips him over before getting on top of him.

“The entire time…you were distracting me from jaejoong…why?!”

“You want to know why? it’s so he could join us in the afterlife…Yoochun had already died…once jaejoong died….I too will follow…it is unfair that only he gets to live on normally…live on with smiles on his faces….only one to be able to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter