Chapter 6

The Painter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

                   When morning came, the sun light peeked through the little gap of the closed curtains and on to the eye lid of Yunho. Upon feeling the warmth, Yunho stir in his sleep before slowly opening to stare at the ceiling. The color wasn’t the same as his bedroom nor was it cracked almost as if it’s about to cave in. It was pure white and even looked brand new. He tilted his head to the side and raised one of his perfect eyebrows before forcing his exhausted body to sit up. The silky warm blanket slid down his body and rested on his waist. He looks around the room and nothing seems familiar to him as if he is in a completely different room. It took him a few minutes to remember that he was no longer back home. He had gotten on a boat and is now in the middle of the most beautiful and yet most busy city in Korea. Just then a knock came upon the door as a female voice ring through the air

“Yunho shhi…breakfast is ready…” Haewon spoke softly

After saying what needed to be said, Haewon return to the kitchen as Yunho yawned and stretch out his arms into the open air. He removed the blanket from the rest of his body before standing up and walked toward the window. Yunho forced the two curtains to part allowing more sunlight into the room as he closed his eyes for a brief moment. Once his eyes had adjusted to the bright light, he could see the multiple tall buildings around this apartment complex. He was used to seeing a vast body of water and not a vast body of building. No matter how far his eyes could see, it was only buildings after building. He can’t help but already felt home sick. He missed the soft sound of waves, the cool breeze, the peaceful ocean and even the smell of fish. Never would he think that he will ever leave Jeju island or even go this far away from his siblings. To actually be here in Seoul seems like a dream. To be honest he was kind of scare and nervous to be in such a big city that he knows nothing about. But one thing is for sure, he isn’t going back home until he find Jaejoong.

After taking a shower and changing his clothes, Yunho enter the kitchen where freshly made food is already sitting at the table. Haewon could be seen placing some toasts onto the table wearing a cute pink apron before listing her gaze to meet his and smiled.

“Good morning…I hope you slept well?”

“Y-yea…although getting use to a soft comfy bed will take time…” Yunho return the smile

Haewon removed her apron before setting it aside and gesture for Yunho to take a seat. He walked toward the table and sat down across from her before thanking her for allowing him to stay here and even went as far as to prepare food for him.

“You don’t need to be shy Yunho sshii…we are almost like family…I have known you for about 10 years…”

Yunho only smiled at her “how is it living here in Seoul?”

“It’s great! I don’t have to go far to buy things unlike back at the village…there are so much to do…so much to see…and so much opportunity to grow…”

“That’s good…”

“By the way…I heard from my father that you wanted to go see the private gallery viewing of Kim jaejoong correct?”

Yunho nearly choked on the orange juice that was about to make its way down his throat “he…told you?”

“Yes…I called him yesterday to confirm that I had pick you up at the pier and he told me everything…To think that the friend you were hoping to meet is the famous painter Kim Jaejoong…how you even meet him and become acquainted with him is beyond me….even I’m a huge fan of his…I tried buying one of painting but everything was sold out within minutes…”

“Weren’t his painting expensive?”

“Of course…but considering where I am living…you can clearly tell I’m not sort on cash” she grinned as Yunho only give her half a smile for she is right. This wasn’t an average apartment but a high end one full of luxuries. It will probably take Yunho his whole life to even earn enough to buy one single item in this room.

“I saw the flyer to his show…it was going to be held tonight…you wouldn’t happen to know where I can buy the tickets do you?” Yunho asked

Haewon stopped buttering her toast and only look at Yunho like he has gone crazy “I’m sorry to say…all the tickets has been sold out…not to mention this is a private viewing that only a small number of people could attend…most of them have connection to the Kim family…to even obtain a ticket is as rare as finding a toothpick in a pack of hays…Don’t forget this is his return after so many years of disappearance….right now almost everyone is out to get a ticket to his gallery….”

Yunho lower his expression in disappointment, at this point he will have no choice but to find Jaejoong’s house and go directly there. But making a scene isn’t his kind of thing. Haewon look at Yunho’s sadden face as she sigh before putting the toast down and placed both of elbow on the table as she leans her head forward and rested her chin upon her hand.

She smiled at Yunho “Even though the ticket has been sold out…I did manage to get my hand on two tickets…”

Yunho’s face lights up “Really?!”

His reaction took Haewon by surprise. Yunho don’t usually let out much emotions and to see him looked so happy made her blushed for this was the first time she had seen him look this way.

“Yes…I did say I was a fan of Kim Jaejoong…a close friend of mine happens to be a sponsor of this private viewing…he give me two tickets…a friend of mine was supposed to go with me but cancelled the other day…lucky for you…I have a spare ticket…if you want, you can come with me”

Yunho reached out and grasped her hand in his as he leans forward with a bright and wide smile “Thank you!! Thank you Haewon ah!!!”

“Y-yea…” was the only thing she could say after feeling Yunho touched her hand and being so close. Just as she was hoping for this moment to last longer, Yunho pulled away and released her hand as the warmth faded.

“What do you plan to wear to the viewing?” Haewon asked

“Wear? Just my usual clothes…”

Haewon took one look at what Yunho is wearing as she gives him a disappointed look. There was no way Yunho will be able to make it through the front door wearing his clothes. The place will be crawling with high officials, Top business CEOs and etc. Yunho will only embarrass himself and she was not going to stand by and let such a handsome man be looked at with disgust.

“We are going shopping after this…”

“Huh? Did you need to buy something?”

“Not me…You”

Yunho only rose his eyebrow unsure what she meant. For one thing, he didn’t need to buy anything, although his siblings did ask for some souvenirs.

Meanwhile back at the Kim residence, multiple whispers could be heard among the maids and servants. Each and every one of them had on the same fearful expression. Some even looked like they had not slept all night. The mother could sense the change in the atmosphere and the worry look upon her workers. She knew everything suddenly changed when Jaejoong returned to this house. Even the warmth has begun to fade as a cold breeze could be felt every now and then.

“I heard it all night…” one of the maids whispered

“same here…it sounded like a screeching…a terrible screeching coming from the young master’s bedroom…not to mention that just touching his door is ice cold…” whispered a second maid

“This only happens when he is here…in all those years that he was gone…the house was peaceful and quiet as well as warm…but sense the madam brought him back…the house has return to its strange coldness and odd sounds at night…”

“One of the maid from last night actually saw a dark figure…tall with bright red eyes entering the young master’s room…after that she felt a very cold feeling went through her body and out almost as if a ghost just passed through her…”

“I heard that too…”

Upon the sound of Jaejoong’s mother clearing behind them, they quickly greeted her and rush to finish their task. The mother only glared at the maids before making her way down the hallway and toward her son’s room. She lightly knocked on the door asking him to join her for breakfast but received no answer.

“Jaejoong dear…are you still asleep?” she asked

There wasn’t any response from the other side of the room. Feeling like maybe her son had escaped again; she took out her key and unlocks the door. She lightly pushed the door open as a cold breeze touched her face. Once the door was wide enough to see the inside of the room, her eyes widen in shock. The room was a complete mess, the table has turn, books and papers were thrown everywhere. What scares her most was the large scratches on the wall as the wallpaper begin to peel.

“Jaejoong?” she called his name

“What is it?” came jaejoong’s voice as he appears to her right startling her. For a moment there she thought she saw something behind him but as quickly as she saw it, it disappear leaving her in total shock.

“What is it mother?” Jaejoong asked upon seeing her terrify expression “is breakfast ready?”

She only nodded her head

“Then shall we go…?” Jaejoong smiled before leading her out of his room and back into the hallway. Jaejoong closed the door behind them before placing his hand upon his mother’s shoulder.

“What did you see that made you so scare?” Jaejoong asked with a grin

Jaejoong’s touch was icy cold almost as if someone has placed a block of frozen ice upon her shoulder turning her body numb.

“N-n-nothing…” she stuttered “b-b-breakfast is ready.” Said his mother before she walked away from him.

Jaejoong watched as his mother disappear from the corner of the hallway before turning his attention back to his room. He only glances at it once before making his way down the hallway and toward the kitchen. His mother however did not go downstairs but only back to her room. She was breathing heavily as if she couldn’t breathe properly and is having a panic attack.  She walked toward her night stand and pulls out her medication before popping two of them inside and drinks some water to follow. It took her a few minutes to calm her body and clear her mind. She took a deep breath before exiting her room and descended the stairs toward the dining hall where Jaejoong is already seated and eating his breakfast.

“The gallery will open at 7 tonight…I will have a suit prepare for you…” the mother spoke before sitting down “this viewing will be the biggest event ever…everyone is excited to see  you again after so many years…I hope you will at least still remember your manners and to behave yourself…”

“My manner disappeared with my sanity long ago remember? The article labeled me as a crazy man who has lost his mind…” smirk jaejoong

“Don’t think too much into what the media says…they don’t know the truth…”

“And you do?”

His mother became quiet as she only took a bite of her eggs. No other words were exchanged between them as they ate in silence. Just then they heard footsteps coming their way as the door to the dining room open to reveal the same young man that was at the press conference.

“Good morning Madam Kim…” he spoke as he went to greet her

“Good morning to you too…” she turn to jaejoong “This is Mr. Lee Jinwoo….starting today…he will be your new manager…he has been helping the family for a long time and is a very smart man…I expect you to behave yourself and listen to him well…”

Lee Jin Woo turn to look at jaejoong as jaejoong hated the look in his eyes. This man possessed the same greed and same darkness as his previous manager. Anyone who became his manager seems to harbor the same feeling that makes Jaejoong’s stomach turns. But compare to the previous manager, this one has a much deeper…much darker secret.

“I apologize for the late introduction jaejoong shhi…I hope from this point on…we both can work together to a brighter and more successful future…” he reached out his hand to jaejoong who only glanced at him before standing up

“I’m done…” said jaejoong as he brushed pass Jinwoo.

They both exchange a look before jaejoong broke the gaze and exited the room. Jinwoo could still feel the cold sensation upon his shoulder where jaejoong touched him. Most people will be scare of him but Jinwoo is intrigue by jaejoong and has been since the day he witness that scene. It was a few years back when he came to the Kim residence to deliver some documents. He heard voices coming from a nearby room and when he peeked inside, he notice jaejoong talking to himself as if he is having a conversation. Next to him is a painting that has been freshly painted. After a few minutes, jaejoong set it in a large aluminum can and lit it on fire. He could clearly hear jaejoong say a name that has stuck with Jinwoo all these years.

‘Soo min…’

This was the name of the little girl who lived next door that was killed in front of the Kim residence. According to the police, the young girl crossed the street before getting hit by a truck. She was pronounced dead at the scene.  Since then Jinwoo had closely observe Jaejoong’s behavior, people labeled him as crazy for burning his painting but JInwoo knew there was more to it than meets the eyes. He had waited patiently for this day, the day he will get a chance to work side by side with Kim Jaejoong and reveal this secret to the world. All he needs is proof that the great painter Kim Jaejoong could actually talk to the dead and even see them. Such proof will be hard to gather but he wasn’t going to give up.

“Mr. Lee?”

He turns to face jaejoong’s mother and smiled “please allow me to join you for breakfast…I’ll keep you company…”

Jaejoong’s mother smiled happily at him “of course…”

Jaejoong return to his room and closed the door before leaning his back against the hard wood. He felt himself more exhausted then usual as his body became weak. He started to shake a bit feeling sick to his stomach. He slid down

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter