Happily Never After

A Thin Line Between Love & Hate

Chapter 11

 

…and then reality just slaps you really hard

 

The big day has finally arrived. Mark can’t believe he’s actually getting married. And to Jackson Wang of all people, his supposed enemy, even though he can’t remember why. The past week flew by without them fighting as much, but for some reason it feels like the quiet before the storm. Mark can never really tell with Jackson, one moment he can be the sweetest guy ever and the next moment the devil reincarnate himself.

 

“Knock knock. Can I come in?” said a voice Mark didn’t recognize.

“Come in, “ replied Mark.

Mark sees a handsome guy in a nice form-fitting black tux enter the door.

“Hi my name is JB. I’m Jackson’s best friend. Nice to finally meet you,” as he extends his hand for Mark to shake.

“Hi I’m Mark, but I’m sure you already knew that from Jackson.”

“Of course, you’re all he talks about,” laughs JB.

“If that’s the case, then it’s probably all bad things,” smiled Mark.

“You’d be surprised. Well he sent me in to check on you. Something about it being bad luck to see the bride before the wedding.”

“Ugh…I’m not the bride,” pouted Mark.

“You’re just too cute. If Jackson isn’t careful, I might just steal you from him,” winked JB. “All jokes aside though. You really do look handsome in that white tux. It fits you perfectly.”

“Guess BamBam is good for something.”

“Sarcastic too. If only I met you sooner Mark,” laughed JB. “He’s coming you know.”

“I’m not surprised. Him and Jackson are close.”

“It’s not what you think Mark.”

“It’s okay. No need to explain. It’s not like this is a real marriage anyways.”

Kinda feeling sorry for Mark, JB tries to cheer him up. “Let’s make Jackson jealous.”

 

Meanwhile in the banquet hall…

 

Everything is perfect. The guests have all arrived. The decor is exquisite. The food is amazing. Everyone seems to be having a good time. All that is missing is Mark. Just thinking of him makes Jackson all nervous. He’s been waiting for this day since he first fell in love with Mark. But fate likes to play cruel jokes, enabling them to meet as lovers but separate as enemies. 

 

“Do we really have to walk arm in arm?” asked Mark.

“No, but it’ll be funny to see the look on Jacks' face,” laughed JB. “You ready?”

“As ready as any fake bride can be.”

“That’s the spirit,” said JB, as the banquet doors open and the pair walks in.

All eyes turn to Mark and Jackson seems to be in awe. Jackson looks at Mark and it leaves him breathless. 

He’s so handsome in his white tux. If only this was our real wedding. But wait, why is he and JB walking arm in arm like lovers? They’re even whispering into each other’s ears. 

And just like that, the special moment was over.

“All eyes are on you Mark,” whispered JB.

“I know. It’s kind of nerve-wracking.”

“You see the way Jacks is looking at you? He can’t take his eyes off you. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think he was in love.”

What’s with that look anyways? He does seem like he’s really in love. He’s so handsome too. If only we were really in love and this was our dream wedding. But wait, now he’s scowling. Uh oh. Brace yourself Mark.

“Do you see the way he’s looking at us now?” said Mark.

“Guess my job here is done then,” laughed JB. “Good luck.”

 

Jackson extends his hand to embrace his partner as his best friend hands him off with a wink.

“What do you think you’re doing,” hissed Jackson.

“What do you mean Mr. Wang?”

“You know what I’m talking about. Walking arm in arm with JB and flirting with him the entire time in front of everyone. Are you trying to make me look like a fool at my own wedding?”

“I guess I don’t have to try hard.”

The angry Jackson pulls Mark in for a heated kiss.

 

“Aww look at the cute couple.”

“They’re so in love.”

“I wish it were me up there.”

 

“What was that for?” asked the confused Mark.

“For making me mad. Plus we have to put on a convincing show.”

Mark tries to separate from Jackson to no avail. 

“Now let’s go greet our guests. And you better behave yourself,” threatened Jackson.

Mark allows himself to be dragged by Jackson, hand in hand. His face drops as he sees a familiar face. Jackson sees the look on Mark’s face and smirks.

“Surprise,” he whispered.

“Jr what are you doing here?” asked Mark.

“I invited him of course, so he can witness our special day. I’ll let you guys catch up while I greet the other guests,” said Jackson, kissing Mark on the cheek before walking away.

 

“You really weren’t going to invite me?” asked the hurt Jr.

“It’s not like that Jr. You know this is all a lie and it’s too embarrassing for me.”

“I know. I just thought you’d at least invite me for moral support. In case the jerk tries anything."

“I just wanted to get this over with and the less people, the better. I’m sorry if I hurt you.”

“I understand, but hey since I’m here I might as well enjoy it at your fake husband’s expense.”

“Now that’s the Jr I know,” laughed Mark. “Oh and just an FYI, Jackson thinks we’re together.”

“And you didn’t correct him?”

“Why should I? It’s none of his business.”

“This just got more interesting,” chuckled Jr.

 

“Who’s the hottie talking to Mark?” asked JB.

“Keep it in your pants, that’s his boyfriend Jr,” replied Jackson, causing JB to spit out his drink.

“What? I didn’t know Mark had a boyfriend and you invited him to the wedding? How could you?”

“Of course I did. So he knows that Mark is now mine and not his.”

“Isn’t that a little too cruel?”

“Cruel? This is nothing in comparison to what he did to me.”

“True, but Jacks he doesn’t even remember what he did to you.”

“So what…just cause he conveniently forgot that he hurt me I’m supposed to forgive him? Any who, why were you acting all chummy with him?”

“Jealous? I knew you would be. I saw the look in your eyes. So you really do still love him?” laughed JB.

“I really don’t know how I feel. I just know that I can’t forgive him. Well time to go break up the couple.”

 

“Heads up. Your husband is on his way over.”

“He’s not my husband,” replied Mark.

“May I borrow my partner for a bit?” asked the smug Jackson.

“Of course. I’ll be waiting for you Mark. As long as it takes,” said Jr, playing the jilted ex-lover role that was given to him.

“See you later Jr,” replied Mark.

“What did your boyfriend mean by that? Does he know the truth?”

“Why does it matter? I’m married to you aren’t I?”

“As long as you remember that. Now come on I have another surprise for you.”

“Tell me why I don’t like your surprises.”

“That’s the best part,” smirked Jackson. 

 

If Jr’s presence surprised him, the group he saw before him shocked him even more. As they approached, the board members of Tuan Enterprise got up and bowed to Jackson and him. The couple bowed back.

 

“What are they doing here?” whispered Mark.

“They were ordered to be here.”

“Ordered? Why? How?” asked the confused Mark.

“Hi Mark hyung,” said a familiar face. Mark let go of Jackson’s hand and rushed over to hug the cute guy.

Who’s that kid and why is Mark hugging him? Isn’t Jr his bf? Probably another one of his lovers.

“Yugyeom” squealed Mark. “How are you? I haven’t seen you in forever. Look at you all grown up.”

“Stop it hyung. You're too kind. You’re as handsome as ever. I missed you.”

“I missed you too. What are you doing here? I thought I’d never see you again.”

“Me too. Sorry I couldn’t come see you. I wasn’t allowed too.”

“I understand, since I don’t own the company anymore.”

“Well now you do.”

“What do you mean?”

“Didn’t Mr. Wang tell you? He bought Tuan Enterprise. He owns 90 percent of the shares and the last 10 percent is your’s left to you by your parent’s. He ordered the board to be here and to show you the respect that you deserve.”

He did that for me? Why would he do that? What’s going on in that mind of his?

 

“Aren’t you going to introduce me to your friend Dimsum?” said Jackson.

“Oh. Jackson this is Yugyeom. We practically grew up together. He’s like the little brother I never wanted.”

“Aww…hyung, that hurt. Hello Mr. Wang.”

Somewhat relieved, “Just call me Jackson. Seems like you two have a lot to catch up on. I’ll let you two get reacquainted. Excuse me.”

 

BamBam finally arrives at the wedding. He would’ve been here sooner, but it took him forever to cover up the mark on his face from the little tiff he had with Mark. 

I can’t believe that bastard actually left a mark on my beautiful face. Well payback’s a . Time to have some fun and stir up some trouble.

 

“Where’s Jacks?” asked JB. “It’s time to cut the cake.”

“Beats me,” shrugged Mark. “And I don’t really care.”

“Can you be anymore louder? I don’t think all the guests heard you,” teased JB. “You’re supposed to be lovers remember? Can you please go find him? I’ll let the guests know.”

“Why me?” whined Mark.

“Do I really have to remind you?”

“Fine fine. I’ll go.”

 

Mark leaves the banquet hall in search of Jackson. Aside for the whole charade, Mark seemed to be enjoying himself. If only this were all real he thought to himself. Mark finally catches a glimpse of Jackson, but he’s not alone. He’s with BamBam and the two are kissing. 

 

Mark turns to walk away. Tears forming in eyes, as he bursts into a run trying to get as far away as possible.