Chapter 8

7th Broken Heart

Arriving in the school, she was welcomed by JB holding a small gift box. “Congratulations.”

She confusedly looked at him.

“Yah.” Jinyoung glared.

Ignoring his friend, he put the box in her hands. “You’re the top 1 in your class.” He smiled.

Taking advantage of the timing, Jinyoung stole his sister away from JB. “Rinnie, congrats!!! Mom will be happy! Let’s go check the bulletin board.”

 

The day passed with everyone congratulating her here and there. Lunch break came and she decided to look for JB. She wasn’t able to thank him due to her brother’s over-protectiveness.

Thank you for the gift. I really appreciate it. Sorry about earlier. Oppa is just… She wrote as she saw him.

“You’re welcome, baby sis! And it’s alright. I understand Junior. He’s not my best friend for nothing. Let’s go to the cafeteria, the others are waiting.”

She wanted to decline and look for Mark; she hasn’t seen him since morning, but she decided to agree. Now that the exams are done, she no longer has an excuse that she would study during break time.

“Yeriiin~ congratulations for being the top 1 in our class!” Bambam greeted as soon as they arrived in the table.

“And congratulations on being the last in our class, Bambam.” Jimin said and made everyone laugh.

“You and Yugyeom should be like Youngjae and focus more in your studies than playing around.” Jackson told them.

“Hyung! I’m in the upper half of our class rank!” Yugyeom whined as he got involved.

“Just saying.” Jackson shrugged.

Yerin gave a questioning look at JB.

“Student council meeting.” He knew she’s looking for her brother.

She pouted, worried of her brother’s health.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to buy him something to eat.” He smiled.

She grabbed his wrist and traced ‘thank you’.

 

Dismissal came and Jimin decided to accompany Yerin to Yejun’s grave.

“Hi, Jun. It’s been a while. How’ve you been? You must be so proud of Yerin, huh? We’ve been taking very good care of her.” Jimin said.

Yerin smiled at his grave.

I’m sorry, Jun. I wasn’t able to visit you regularly.  School work is starting to keep me busy. Don’t worry, I won’t forget you even if I become very busy. I think you would even be happy that I’m busy so I could keep my mind off of that incident. I miss you. You’re very proud of me, right? I’m the top in our class. You’re happy wherever you are, right? Don’t worry about me, I have a lot of people to take care of me. I just hope they won’t leave me as well. Though, I’m pretty sure one of them won’t. She lightly chuckled at the thought of Mark.

Jimin was glad that she’s not crying. Yerin used to cry whenever she visits his grave, but now she didn’t. She’s glad that she’s slowly healing.

Yerin stood up once she’s done.

“You talked to him?” Her friend asked.

She nodded.

“I know he’s very happy for you, Rin.”

She gave her a bright smile and hugged her. She wrote Stay for dinner. I’m sure Mom will cook a lot of food.

 

Jinyoung was already home when they arrived. Mrs. Park prepared a special dinner, as expected. She was glad to hear all the news from Jinyoung. She was very happy to know that Yerin’s condition is not that bad as they thought it would be. Maybe, just maybe, soon enough she’ll be back to herself.

After dinner, Jimin thanked the Park family before leaving. Yerin washed up and headed to her room. Jinyoung has been using the couch and she felt guilty about, but he told her not to worry about him. As soon as she closed her door, she almost let out a loud scream. She put her hand above her heart trying to calm herself.

“Stop scaring me like that, Mark Tuan!”

He chuckled. “You didn’t come to the rooftop.”

“I’m sorry. I couldn’t think of an excuse.”

“It’s alright. You still can’t talk to them?”

She sadly lowered her head. “I don’t know why…I just…it’s like everything is clogging up in my throat. I don’t know how I can comfortably talk to you.”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself. Try by speaking word per word, or think that you’re just talking to me. JB will get jealous if he finds out you can comfortably talk to me.”

She sighed and sat on her bed. “Can you not involve JB in everything?”

He just grinned sheepishly. “Well, I need to go now.”

“Already?” Yerin gaped.

He smirked. “Why? Want me to stay for the night?”

She frowned and threw a pillow on his face. “No way, idiot!”

He laughed. He walked in front of her and bent forward so they’ll be face to face. “It’s kinda late, but congratulations.” He stared at her eyes and smiled. “Good night.” He kissed her cheek and jumped off of the window.

Yerin could feel heat forming in her cheeks. “Stupid Mark.” She muttered.

 

As days passed, Jinyoung got busier with the Student Council. It was a Friday afternoon and JB has some dance practice, so she was accompanied by Jimin and the other guys. They were at some café near their school.

“Yerin, some guy from our class wanted to give this to you.” Yugyeom was handing her some letter, but before she could get it, Jackson snatched it from him.

“It’s a confession letter. Yah! You should be helping JB, not some kid from your class! Would you prefer Yerin to be with him than JB?” He scolded Yugyeom.

“Well, I’d prefer Yerin for myself.” Youngjae whispered to himself which resulted him to get involved in Yugyeom and Jackson’s argument.

The three bickering guys earned a slap on the head from Jimin.

“Now you guys finally got a taste of Jimin’s love.” Bambam commented which made him earn the same ‘love’ he was talking about.

“No one is getting Yerin, idiots. You all know Junior oppa won’t let that.”

“What if Yerin falls for one of us? He can’t do anything about that!” Bambam retorted.

“She won’t fall for one of us! She already said she like JB the most!” Jackson fought back.

Yerin couldn’t do anything but watch them in entertainment.

“She said it was just as a friend! Yerin, you’re not falling for JB-hyung that way, right?” Yugyeom asked.

I love only Yejun. I don’t think I can love again and betray him.

Jimin sighed. “Yerin, if you fall in love again, that doesn’t necessarily mean you betray or cheat on Yejun. You can love that person without changing your love for Yejun. I bet he’ll be even happy for you to find the one for you. You’re just not yet ready.” She glared at the guys and said “Now, shall we talk about something else?”

Her friends started a new conversation and kept joking here and there, but she wasn’t paying attention. Since the accident, it never crossed her mind about falling for someone once again. Now that the topic was opened, she couldn’t help but think of it. She was deep in thought until she felt someone has been staring at her. She looked up to see Mark staring at her. He was sitting beside Jackson, in front of her. As usual, not joining the conversation.

She was pulled out of her trance when she heard Jimin calling for her.

“Are you ready to go?” She asked.

She nodded, but before she stood up, she wrote something on her paper. Come to our house tomorrow morning. It’s oppa’s birthday.

 

After passing by Jimin’s house, she was left alone with Mark.

“Stop thinking about it, will you?” He spoke up.

She sighed. “Won’t Jackson and Bambam wonder why you didn’t go home with them?” She asked changing the topic.

“I told you, they’re already used to me.” They arrived in front of her house. “Get in. I’ll enter through your window.”

She entered their house and greeted her mom before heading to her room.

“So, what’s your plan for tomorrow?” He asked.

“I’ll start talking. I just hope words won’t clog in my throat. I want oppa to be the happiest on his birthday. And I’ll greet him with my voice.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure it will go smoothly.”