Chapter 15

7th Broken Heart

(A/N: Double update! Make sure to read the previous chapter first ;>)

 

Ever since they arrived in Mark’s ward, Yerin never left his bedside. She said she wanted to be the first person Mark would see once he wakes up. Jinyoung was worried for his sister; he doesn’t know what he should do. He was sitting on the couch, watching her caress Mark’s hand, when she spoke up.

“I’m sorry, oppa.”

He furrowed his brows. “For what?”

“You take care of me very well for me to get better, but instead I became a crazy woman.”

He stood up and took a seat beside her. “Shh, don’t say that. You’re not crazy.”

“And I’m also sorry for always being a burden to you. You’ve been busy with the Student Council and yet, you’re here to look after me.”

He hugged her. “You’re never a burden to me, Yerin. There’s nothing to be sorry about.”

“Thank you. I don’t know what I have to deserve a brother like you. I’m very grateful.”

He kissed her forehead. “Because you’re the best sister in the world, that’s why you deserve a family like us. Now, let me get you something to eat, okay? You haven’t eaten lunch.”

She nodded.

 

They just finished eating when the guys arrived.

“Yerin, are you feeling better?” JB asked.

She nodded. “Thanks to oppa.”

“How’s he?” Jackson asked, referring to Mark.

“No improvement.” Jinyoung sighed.

“I’m sure he’ll wake up soon.” Yerin said.

 

Now that you successfully finished your mission to fix seven broken hearts, I’m giving you the second chance to live. Correct your mistakes and start anew. You may not remember this once you wake up, but I’m telling you that the mind may forget but the heart always remembers.

 

 As if on cue, Mark’s fingers moved.

“He moved!” Yugyeom said.

They carefully observed him as his eyes slowly fluttered open.

“Mark hyung! Mark hyung’s awake!!!” Bambam said, crying tears of joy.

“Doctor! I’ll call a doctor.” Jinyoung rushed out of the room.

Once the doctor arrived, they gave him some space for him to check his vital signs.

“Surprisingly, he’s condition is now stable. But we suggest let him rest for a few more days to make sure he’s fully recovered.”

They bowed to the doctor to thank him before he left the ward.

 

“Mark! We’re happy that you’re finally awake!” Jackson sat on his bedside.

“We were so scared! We thought you would never wake up.” Youngjae said.

Eyes still adjusting to the bright light, he tried to sit up. Jackson helped him. “W-what happened…?”

“You were in a cable car accident with one of your girls.” Jackson reminded him.

“Oh…where’s she? How long have I been in coma?”

“She died…Mark. It’s been three months, almost four months.”

Mark frowned at that, little bits of memories flashing in his mind. “Am I forgetting something? I keep hearing this voice in my head saying ‘the mind may forget, but the heart always remembers’.”

All heads turn to Yerin, making Mark notice her presence.

“Oh, hi.” His cold tone made her flinch. But his next statement was worse; it shattered her heart into pieces. “Who are you?”

Was that why he was speaking like she’ll never see him again?

 She knows he knew he’d forget her once he wakes up, but why didn’t he tell her? The dried tears were threatening to come out again.

“Are you perhaps, JB’s girlfriend?”

“She’s my sister. Her name’s Yerin.” Jinyoung spoke up as he noticed his sister’s discomfort.

He frowned. “You don’t have a sister, Junior.”

“Long story short: she’s from my mom’s orphanage. She’s my sister now.”

 

“Well, that’s good to hear. We all know you’ve wanted to have a younger sister. It’s nice to meet you. The name’s Mark Tuan. And by the way, my friend here is so obvious.” He pointed at JB. “I can tell he likes you just by the way he stares at you. I’m just not sure if your brother would allow that.”

“Very funny, Mark. Now, we should just let him rest and come back tomorrow, shall we?” Jimin spoke up, couldn’t handle to see her best friend would break down any minute.

After expressing their delight of Mark finally waking up and bidding goodbyes, the visitors left and promised to spend their whole Saturday with him tomorrow.

He stared at the ceiling. “Something is off. There’s definitely something important I need to remember.” He tried to search his brain for anything, but to no avail.

“Just what exactly is it?”

 

After the dramatic day and explaining to everyone what happened, just like Mark, Yerin was staring at the ceiling of her room. “Is there a way for him to remember me? If I act like the not-talking Yerin, will he remember? If I try to hurt myself, will he remember and come to save me?”

 

It was a Saturday and usually, it’s a day you would wake up very late, but Yerin woke up very early so she could go to the hospital alone. Mark was still asleep when she arrived. He was awakened when he felt a hand caressing his cheek.

“Oh, good morning. Yerin, right?” He rubbed his eyes and yawned.

She nodded. Her first attempt to make him remember, she brought her pen and pad paper with her. I’m sorry. Did I wake you?

Mark blinked. “N-no, no, it’s alright. I…I didn’t know you couldn’t speak.”

I was in the same accident as yours. Trauma.

Mark held his head as bits of memories flashed again in his mind. “O-oh…I’m sure you’ll get better soon. Junior is really a caring person. Why are you here so early, alone?”

Are you pretending or did you really forget me?

“What do you mean? I’m sure I haven’t seen you before.”

She sadly looked at him. I don’t know if I’ll be able to, but I’ll try my best to make you remember me.

 

“My goodness, Yerin! You scared me! Why did you leave so early without notice?” Her brother and the rest arrived. He frowned when he saw her pen and paper.

Don’t worry. Just act along. She showed the paper to them, out of Mark’s sight.

“Hey guys, did the doctor say something about me having amnesia?”

Jackson looked at Mark weirdly. “No, why?  And if you did have amnesia, you wouldn’t know who we are.”

“Yeah, right. Stupid me. But it’s weird that there are memories flashing in my head.”

Yerin brightened up upon hearing that, giving her some hope. “Mark…” She spoke up, completely bewildering Mark.

“Did you just…” Mark trailed. He was confused, but inside he felt giddy. His head hurt once again when a memory flashed. Déjà vu. He looked up at her. “Just who exactly are you?” He looked to their friends for some answers.

“Sorry, no help can do. None of us know what happened between you two while you were in a coma.” Jimin said.

“While I was in a coma? Are you trying to joke right now? How is that supposed to happen?”

“We don’t know either. It seems like your wandering soul is still the playboy you even in your comatose state. Unfortunately, my sister became your target.”

“You guys are being hideous.”

“Maybe the voice you were hearing was right. Even if your mind forgot about it, if you really want to remember, your heart will do.” Jackson patted his shoulder.

 

“Thank you.” Yerin told everyone; they were on their way home.

“What for?” JB asked.

“You guys believed me. You didn’t think I’m crazy.”

“Why would we think you’re crazy? If you’re crazy, we’re all crazy. Crazy or not, we’ll always be here for each other.” Jimin told her.

“She’s right. And if you’re lying, then Mark wouldn’t have reacted. He said himself that memories are flashing in his head, right?” Jackson added.

“I think I know the reason you were able to see him.” Youngjae stated.

Everyone looked at him, waiting for him to explain further.

 

“You might still be sensitive about this topic, but since you guys want me to explain…After the accident, especially after knowing your boyfriend…died, there could possibly be an empty hole in your heart. You might have unconsciously wanted to fill that emptiness and loneliness you were feeling that made you able to see things we can’t. It just happened to be Mark hyung’s soul was wandering and such.”

“Hyung, you’re a genius! I can’t believe you were actually listening in our Psychology class.” Yugyeom gaped.

“Yerinnie, it’s between you two. You’re the only who could make him remember. We’re sorry we couldn’t be much of a help.” Bambam sadly looked at her.

She shook her head. “No. You guys are already a huge help for me.”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure he’d remember everything soon and you guys can finally reunite again. Wait. One of his missions was to find what love is, right? You’re the only who could see him, does that mean…?” Bambam said, as he and Yugyeom looked at Yerin, then to JB.

“Love triangle!!! Woah…JB hyung must be happy right now that Mark hyung can’t remember anything.” Yugyeom said.

JB glared at him for his foolishness. “How can I be happy when I obviously lost already?” And he walked out.

Jimin hit the two maknaes for their insensitivity.

“I’ll talk to him.” Yerin told her brother before following JB.

 

(A/N: Fic is going to end soon T^T)