Chapter 7

7th Broken Heart

“Oh my, what happened to the two of you??? Hurry and take a warm bath while I cook dinner.” Mrs. Park instructed her children and rushed to the kitchen to prepare food for them.

Yerin finished washing up and headed to her room to wait for the food to be cooked. Yet again, she almost had a heart attack to see Mark in her room with his still-soaked clothes on.

“The window was still open. I thought you’ll close it?”

Ignoring him, she grabbed a new towel and wrapped it around him. Are you stupid? Go home and change your clothes. You’ll get sick!

“Aw, I’m touched that you’re worried. Don’t worry, I won’t.” He stood up and walked in front of her. He grabbed the small towel resting on her head and rubbed it against her hair to completely dry it off.

I don’t understand why a lot of girls like you. You’re such a boring person. I didn’t even feel your presence during the hangout.

“Well, that’s how I am. As Jackson always says ‘he’s there, but he doesn’t talk…he’s like an object.’” He tried to copy Jackson’s voice and tone.

Yerin let out a small laugh. Oppa has some extra clothes. Would you like to change?

“No, thanks. I won’t be staying for too long anyway.”

She scrunched up her nose and wrote Stubborn before setting her pad and pen down on the table. She grabbed his wrist to stop him from drying her hair and made him sit on her bed. She put the towel on his hair and started drying it.

“You lied earlier.” He said.

She frowned at him.

“You were just trying to tease me, weren’t you? JB wasn’t the one you like the most.”

She sheepishly smiled at him.

“Yah, it’s bad to give false hope. What if he gets heartbroken? Don’t you dare hurt my friend.”

She rolled her eyes at him.

“But…if it’s not JB, then who?” He smirked and grabbed her wrist down which caused her to bend forward. Their faces were dangerously close. “You like me, don’t you?”

Yerin’s heart was beating fast. She knows Mark could be playful, but she didn’t expect his sudden move and it really surprised her.

“You may have an ugly morning face, but your laugh was definitely beautiful.”

She gulped, not knowing what to do. Her eyes were fixed on his lips, nervous that it would touch hers. A sigh of relief came out of her lips when a knock was heard from her door. “Rinnie, dinner’s ready!”

“Talk about timing.” Mark muttered and stood up. “Thanks for the towel. I’ll be leaving now.” He handed her the towel, and before she could comprehend, he already left. Still in a daze of what have happened, she opened her door.

“Baby girl, are you alright?” Jinyoung immediately cupped her face at the sight of her.

She blinked and nodded. She patted her tummy, making him believe that she was just hungry.

 

Sunday passed without Mark visiting. She was anxious that they’ll be awkward with each other, but when Monday came, anxiety was long gone and replaced by worry. Mark was not with the guys at the gates when they arrived in the morning, so as soon as the lunch break bell rang, she dashed out of their room to the rooftop (ignoring the calls of her confused friends).

She was panting as she arrived at the rooftop and relief washed over her as she saw a familiar figure lying on the bench. She marched to him and hit him with her pad paper.

“Ow—what the hell?!” He sat up and held her wrists. “What’s your problem, woman?!”

She removed her wrists from his grip and wrote I was so worried, you babo! I thought you got sick, but then I would see you just chillin’ out here!

Mark’s eyes softened. “You get annoyed whenever I visit you, but when I don’t, you look for me. You really like me, huh?”

She lightly punched his arm. You still have guts to tease me?! I hate you, babo.

He let out a chuckle and hugged her, making her freeze in her spot. “Sorry, it’s just fun to tease you. And I’m also sorry for making you worry.”

She relaxed in his arms and buried her face in the crook of his neck. She doesn’t know what, but there’s something with Mark that makes her feel at ease. “M-mark…” It was a soft whisper, but he certainly heard it.

He pulled out from the hug and stared at her wide-eyed. “Did you just…”

“Mark…” She repeated, a little louder this time.

A wide grin was plastered on Mark’s face. He grabbed her waist and spun her around. “You talked! You’re finally talking!”

She giggled. “Put me down, Mark.”

He did as told, but arms stayed around her waist. Still smiling ear to ear, he said “What did I do to deserve this? I got to hear your voice first.”

“You’re overreacting.”

“No, I’m not! I’m sure your brother would react worse than I. Oh my gosh, I still can’t believe you’re verbally talking to me.” He rested his forehead against hers.

Yerin’s heart was beating fast once again because of the intimacy. “Now I know how you get your girls.” She managed to say.

Mark blinked, and suddenly pulled away. She got confused as to why she suddenly felt empty. “I’m sorry. I got carried away. I’m just so happy. And FYI, I don’t get girls that way! They throw themselves at me, I just flirt back verbally, and that’s all!”

She made a face. “I don’t really need to know about that.”

“Anyway, what made you…talk?”

She frowned. “I don’t know either, but I hope I will make Oppa happy. His birthday is coming up.”

“I’m very positive he will be happy. He won’t ask for more if he gets to hear you talk.”

The bell rang, signaling the end of lunch break. “We need to go back to our classes. See you later!” She waved and left their secret hangout place.

Mark scoffed at himself. “See you later? You must be already used to me sneaking through your window. This is bad. I’m the one who keeps teasing you about liking me, but I guess I have been teasing myself. How can you effortlessly do this to me?”

 

Yerin got confused of herself. She was ready to talk again, but when she was about to, no voice came out. It made her wonder what Mark does really have to make her do things she normally can’t. It was the week of examinations, and it passed smoothly. It’s finally the day for the results and everyone was nervous.

“Baby sisteeeeeeer~ good morning!” Jinyoung spun Yerin around and planted a peck on her cheek.

She shot Mrs. Park, who was preparing breakfast, a look wondering what made her brother so high in the morning.

“It’s been days since you stopped crying in your sleep and you’re now displaying several expressions on your face. He’s glad about it. We are. Very.”

How can she cry in her sleep? She thinks she didn’t even get to sleep a wink: 1) busy with studying and 2) Mark always pestering her. Talking about it, it reminded her that she barely got to visit Yejun. She noted to herself to visit him after classes.

On the way to school, both Jinyoung and Jimin were happily talking about how she’s starting get better. Yerin couldn’t even think what her brother would do if she can finally start talking again; maybe he would throw a party. Jokes aside, she’s determined to talk on her brother’s birthday.