Chapter 1

7th Broken Heart

Not knowing who her parents are, Baek Yerin grew up in an orphanage. She didn’t feel lonely having children like her around. She felt like an ordinary girl growing up, learning, and studying. Not until she turned 12. Children in the orphanage were being adopted. She’s kind, obedient, and has good grades. Why isn’t she being adopted? For once, she wanted to have a real family.

While crying in a corner, one of the remaining boys in the orphanage approached her. He goes by the name Han Yejun and he’s three years older than her.

“Hey, don’t cry. You still have us. We’re all family.” He crouched in front of her.

“But all of you will eventually get adopted and leave.”

He sighed. “Okay, I promise you that I’ll be your family. Once I turn 18, I’ll take responsibility of you. I won’t leave you. Now, let’s go and play, hm?” He offered his hand to her.

She hesitated, but took it anyway.

 

She didn’t believe anything he said. She just agreed with him so he would stop bothering her. But to her surprise, he was serious with everything he told her. He was always by her side, making sure she’s okay and smiling. He’s giving bad attitude so that adopters won’t pick him. In the long run, they grew feelings for each other and started dating. Three years passed and Yejun was soon turning 18. As expected, only the two of them were left in the orphanage. Mrs. Park, the owner of the orphanage, sold the place and gave the money to them.

“Eomeonim, this is too much. We can’t take this all.” Yejun said.

“Just take it, son. You’ll need it.”

“We already owe our childhood to you. You gave us shelter, food, and even let us study. I’ll just take 1/3 of the money. It’s enough for us to rent a place, buy our necessities, and pay for school. I can find a job. Don’t worry.”

She sighed. “Alright, but please keep in contact, okay? Don’t hesitate to call me if you need some help. Take very good care of Yerin, Yejun-ah.”

“I will, eomeonim. I promise. And you know I keep my promises.”

She gave the two teenagers a last hug and a peck on their cheeks. “I’ll miss you two.”

 

After a few months, Yejun was finally 18 and signed as Yerin’s guardian. He got a job and they found an affordable apartment near the school Yerin’s attending to. Fortunately for them, Yerin’s on full scholarship because of her good grades. Everything was going well and they’re happy about it.

 

From: Nae sarang Yejun

I’ll leave work early for today. Wait for me. I’ll pick you up at school.

 

Yejun sent her the message earlier that day. It was their third year anniversary and she’s sure Yejun has something planned. She’s excited and smiling to herself while waiting for him in front of the gates. She then felt a pair of lips land on her cheek.

“Why is my girlfriend smiling to herself?” It was Yejun.

“I’m just excited.” She grinned like a fool.

“Why? I don’t remember anything special for today.” He pretended to forget but she knows he’s just playing around.

She glared at him and pouted. He chuckled. “I was just kidding. Let’s go.” He intertwined their fingers and took the lead.

 

It was winter season so he brought her to an ice rink. They went ice skating and skiing. It was very fun and they enjoyed their date. After having dinner, Yerin spotted a cable car ride.

“Let’s go ride that!” She dragged her boyfriend and entered the ride.

“I’m glad that you’re having fun.”

“Of course I am. I didn’t really expect that we’re going out. Celebrating at home together is fine with me. As long as we’re together, I’m happy.”

He gave her a warm smile. “I love you, Yerin-ah. Happy 3rd anniversary. I hope we have more anniversaries to come until we get married. I can’t imagine my future with anyone else.”

“If you’re trying to make me cry, then it’s not working. You’re talking like you’re going to propose to me.” They both laughed.

“Anyway, I love you too, Jun-oppa.” She smiled and closed the gap between their lips. They connected their foreheads and smiled lovingly at each other.

 

The ride came to a halt. They thought it was time to get off, but noticed that they’re still in the middle of the ride. They got nervous when they saw the red light but didn’t panic. They saw other cable cars before and ahead of them stopped as well.

“What’s going on?” Yerin asked.

“I don’t know…maybe their fixing something down there.”

“Good evening, our dear passengers. The control stopped functioning but we’re trying to fix it as soon as possible. We’re doing our very best. I hope you help us by keeping calm. Panicking will only cause more danger. Thank you.” The speaker in the car boomed.

 

They tried to keep calm, but when the ride started swaying. They just got more nervous.

“I think I’m going to be afraid of heights after this.” Yerin muttered. “I’m sorry. I was the one who wanted to ride this.”

“Honey, don’t blame yourself. It’s their fault for not making sure that this is safe to ride.”

The swaying worsened and Yerin couldn’t help but be scared.

“Everyone, we found that one of the cables is broken causing the control to stop functioning. We called fire trucks and ambulances. Help is on their way to get everyone down safely. The strong wind is not helping so please don’t move too much inside or the cable might break.”

“I’m scared.” Yerin said.

“Don’t worry. I’m here.” Yejun hugged her.

 

Soon, the fire trucks arrived and started to get every passenger down. Yerin sighed in relief. Half an hour later, they’re up next. She thought everything was going to be fine and they’ll be finally safe, until they heard the cable break. It seemed like to be in slow motion as everything happened right in front of her eyes. She felt herself being wrapped in someone’s body. Due to the cable car rolling down the mountain and hitting rocks in the way, she heard a ‘Saranghae, Yerin.’ before losing consciousness.

 

Yerin struggled to open her eyes completely, the bright light blinding her. Once she fully opened them, she noticed that she’s in a white room—a hospital room, to be exact. She felt uncomfortable: the hospital smell, her aching body, the several wires connected to her body, and the beeping sound of a machine beside her.

“Oh my, dear! You’re finally awake! How are you feeling? Wait, I’ll call the doctor!” Mrs. Park, who just entered her room, walked out again to call the doctor.

The doctor entered her room with Mrs. Park and checked her up.

“Ms. Baek Yerin, right? You’re in a stable condition now. You just need more rest. But your right leg, it will take two weeks time before it completely heals. Don’t worry, you can still walk just fine after the cast is off.” 

She didn’t notice her broken right leg until the doctor mentioned it. 

“She can get out of the hospital after three days.” The doctor bowed to Mrs. Park before leaving.

 

“I’m so glad you’re fine.” Mrs. Park caressed her hair.

Yerin frowned. She remembered everything that happened. “Eomeonim, where’s Yejun?”

She looked away. “Are you hungry? Let me get you something to eat.” She ignored her question which made her nervous.

“Eomeonim!”

“Honey, you just woke up. I’ll get you some food, hm?”

Once Mrs. Park was out, Yerin noticed her phone on the bedside desk and grabbed it. The screen has a huge crack. She opened it and saw several messages all from her only friend slash best friend in school, Park Jimin. She read them all.

 

From: Minnie Mouse

Rin-ah, I’m sorry to say this but I’m transferring school. I don’t want to, but my parents said so. Please don’t be mad. We can still hangout together, right?

 

Hey, how are you? I heard what happened. It was such a wrong timing for me to tell you about transferring school. I’m so sorry! T~T I’m so worried about you. Please send me a reply as soon as possible.

 

I’m sorry about Yejun. Don’t worry, we took care of him.

 

To: Minnie Mouse

Hey, I just woke up. I’m still at the hospital. We can catch up on everything once I get out. What do you mean you’re sorry about Yejun? Where is he?

 

From: Minnie Mouse

Oh my gosh! Yerin, you’re finally awake! I’m so happy!!! I’ll visit as soon as possible, I promise. You don’t know what happened to Yejun? Did Mrs. Park not tell you?

 

To: Minnie Mouse

No. She’s ignoring my question. I know I just woke up, but please answer me. I need to know where he is. Please.

 

From: Minnie Mouse

Rin-ah…he’s gone. He protected your body with his. Jun died. We took care of his funeral.