Chapter 4

7th Broken Heart

A week before the examinations, Yerin was on her way home. It was already late because she stayed for a while in the library to study, but the skies are not yet dark. Even though her brother told her to call him, she didn’t want to bother him and prove him that she can learn to be independent. But boy, it was a very wrong timing to decide something like that. There was a group of male teenagers on her way and she was stuck in her place as they surrounded her.

“Hey, she goes to JYP High!” One of them said.

“Cutie, why don’t you transfer to our school? It’s much more fun in there.”

She stepped back as they try to touch her, but she stumbled into something and fell on her . She winced in pain as she hurt her right leg.

“Are you alright? Come with us. We’ll make you feel better.”

She was so afraid. She was feeling ill at the same time, so it wasn’t really helping her situation. She wanted to shout for some help. Unconsciously, she hoped for Mark to come and save her again; she hasn’t seen him for a while.

 

“Let go of her while I’m being nice.” She heard a familiar voice, but it wasn’t Mark’s.

“Dude, it’s JB! Let’s go!!!” All of the boys ran away scared.

JB offered her a hand, but as she got up she winced. He frowned. “Did they hurt your leg? Junior said you just got your cast off. She shook her head and pointed at the rock she stumbled earlier. She then gave him a questioning look.

He showed his eye smile. “Junior’s right. It’s fun to learn how to read you. My father’s a well-known police, that’s why they’re scared. C’mon, I need to get you home or Junior will kill me.” He offered his back. She was hesitating; it was kind of awkward for her, considering she’s not that close to him.

Noticing her uncomfortable state, he grabbed her arm and put them around his neck and lifted her up holding her legs. As JB started walking, she noticed someone hiding by the corner. It was Mark. He was panting. Once they made eye contact, he walked away.

 

“I told you to call me through the library phone! Look what happened! Do you remember their faces?! I’m going to give them some lesson!” Jinyoung was scolding her. He was pacing around and couldn’t keep calm after hearing what happened to his sister.

“Yah, calm down. I took care of them.” JB grabbed his friend’s shoulder and made him sit.

Mrs. Park was tending Yerin’s right leg.

“Sweetie, I know you want to show us you can be independent, but I think it’s better that you stick with your brother. He’d really blame himself if something happens to you.”

She nodded and gave Jinyoung a very apologetic look. He sighed. “At least, I’m thankful nothing happened to you. Jaebum, thank you so much.”

“No problem. I guess I’ll be taking my leave now.” JB bowed to Mrs. Park but before he could walk to the door, someone grabbed his sleeve.

He turned to look at Yerin. She grabbed his wrist and traced some words on his palm. It spelled ‘thank you’. JB smiled, blush evident on his cheeks. “You’re always welcome.” He ruffled her hair before leaving. Jinyoung escorted his friend out and once he got back, he gave his sister a judging look. “What was that all about?”

She frowned at him and pointed at her leg, as if saying she just wanted to thank him.

“Alright, alright. But if you’re starting to feel all butterflies in your stomach around him, then stop it. We’ve been together since we were young, so I know almost everything about them. And I don’t want any of them for you.”

She gave Mrs. Park a helpless look who only gave them a soft chuckle.

 

That night, Yerin couldn’t sleep properly. She was sweating all over and feeling her body temperature rise. She was also feeling a bit dizzy. She hasn’t been eating properly because her schedule started to become hectic.

She heard footsteps in her room, then her bathroom door being opened. She couldn’t open her eyes to see who it was, but she’s sure it’s either her mom or brother. A damp cloth was then laid on her forehead and her body relaxed. Tears were running down her cheeks. The person in her room frowned, not sure if she’s crying because of her fever or because of the trauma that hunts her in her sleep. Nevertheless, she’s still crying in her sleep.

 

Yerin woke up feeling the sun hit her skin. She felt the cloth on her forehead and barely remembered the incident last night. Thankfully, her fever went down. She was about to apologize to her family for worrying them in the middle of the night when she spotted a surprising sight. Someone was asleep, head resting on her bedside. The person stirred until he finally sat up and groggily rubbed his eyes.

They stared and blinked at each other, and then he rested his palm on her forehead. He sighed in relief. “Your fever’s gone…”

Yerin was still staring at him with confusion. Before she could even go back to her senses, he already stood up and left through the window, leaving her dumbfounded.

 

She almost had a heart attack seeing him jump off from a high place. A knock was then heard on her door. “Yerin-ah, wake up.”She got off her bed and knocked back on the door. A routine she and Jinyoung do to inform him she’s awake.

While washing up, thoughts of Mark filled her mind. She has lots of questions for him. But she felt strange that she wasn’t even scared seeing him as soon as she wakes up. She just felt…different around him. He gives off a feeling that makes her…comfortable and at ease. Heck, she even hoped for him when she was in danger, instead of her own brother.

 

Yerin was in the library during lunchtime studying. She told her brother that she needs to study for her upcoming exams. She was busily solving a math problem when a palm rested on her forehead. She looked up to a worried looking, yet again, Mark Tuan. He put something above her book. She was about to grab his wrist before he could walk away, but to no avail. He was soon out of the library. She took the sandwich and carton of milk resting on her book and read the sticky note on it.

 

Don’t skip lunch. Your fever just went down.

 

The last bell rang and everyone was eager to get out of the room. Yerin, Jimin, Youngjae, Bambam, and Yugyeom were walking down the stairs with the three boys fooling around. Jinyoung, JB, Mark, and Jackson were standing by the last step and Yerin cracked a small smile at the sight of her brother. At the last three steps, due to the three idiots’ playfulness, Bambam accidentally bumped into Yerin and caused her to fall forward. Thankfully, JB was fast enough to catch her. Her eyes widened at the proximity of their faces and before thing could get mushy, Jinyoung grabbed her sister (of course, not forgetting to glare at JB). The maknae line earned a hit on the head from Jimin. “Yah! Do you want Yerin’s right leg to be casted again?!”

“We’re sorry.” The three bowed.

“Thanks for doing the scolding on my behalf, Jimin.” Jinyoung said. “Anyway, you guys should be more careful next time. Come on, let’s head home.”

 

                In the middle of the night, Yerin was half-asleep when she felt another presence in her room. That person stood up when she opened her eyes. Not wanting to miss this chance, she grabbed his wrist immediately. They had a staring contest for a while before he managed to get out of her grip and jumped off of the window. What does he want? What is he really up to?

 

                It was very tiring to have PE class first thing in the morning. Yerin wanted to take a little nap but their teacher made them jog around the gym. After the class, they were on their way back to their classroom when Yerin saw Mark rushing out of it. She arrived to her desk with a bottle of water on top of it. Is she really Mark’s new target? He’s a playboy after all, but she’s his friend’s sister.

 

                Yerin once again stayed in the library after dismissal. As promised, she asked the librarian to phone her brother once she’s done. She was waiting for him at the gates when three girls cornered her.

“You’re Junior-oppa’s stepsister, aren’t you?”

“Are you really mute? Or maybe just pretending to be one? Is that how you managed to be Oppa’s stepsister? He’s really kind-hearted and maybe he pitied you.”

“Woah~ why didn’t I think of that? You’re pretty smart, huh? You already got Junior-oppa, and now you also flirt with JB-oppa?”

“Your boyfriend just died, but you already got guys around you. He must be so disappointed in you and regretting he even dated someone like you.”

“If he didn’t meet you, he would still be living right now. Poor guy.”

 

                Their words were stabbing her and she didn’t know what to do. Before she could break down, her brother finally arrived.

“What’s going on here?”

“Oh, Junior-oppa! We noticed Yerin seemed lonely waiting for you here so we decided to give her some company. Now that you’re here, we’ll be taking our leave.”

Once they’re out of sight, Jinyoung checked her sister. “What did they do to you? Did they hurt you or anything?”

She just shook her head and gave him a small smile. She tugged on his sleeve as if saying she just wanted to go home.

 

                She couldn’t sleep that night and just kept crying. The girls’ words keep running in her head. She spotted a pair of scissors on her study table. Before she could even move, someone stopped her.

“Don’t even think about it.”

She blinked the tears off her eyes to see clearer. Mark was standing by her window. Not wanting him to stop her again, she didn’t listen and got off of her bed to grab the scissors, but he was faster than her. He grabbed it and threw it out of the window.

“Don’t let those girls win over you. They don’t know your story, so don’t listen to whatever stupid things they said. They’re just jealous that you got a lot of people who care for you. I know hearing them say that hurts. You can cry it out, but don’t let them get into you. How many times do I have to scold you for you stop trying to kill yourself?!”

 

She did as told; she buried her face in her chest and sobbed harder. Mark just let her until she calmed down. She grabbed her pad paper and pen from her bedside table.

She wrote ‘How and why are you always here?’

“Ever since you attempted to jump off of the rooftop, I’ve been looking after you. I was worried when I saw you that night, but I was relieved JB was there. I entered through your window.”

She gave him a creepy look.

“Don’t give me that look. This used to be Junior’s room. The boys and I always sneak through the window.”

How did you know I was sick?

“It was just a coincidence. I decided to check on you, but noticed you were shivering. I didn’t intend to fall asleep. I’m sorry.”

It’s alright. Thank you for everything. But why are you doing this for me?

Mark stopped for a moment to find an answer. “…I don’t know as well. Maybe because I witnessed someone almost commit suicide. Ever since, I felt like you’re my responsibility.”

I’m sorry. Please don’t tell anything to my brother.

“I’ll tell him if you try to hurt yourself again.”

I promise I won’t.

 “You promised. Anyway, it’s already nearing dawn. Go back to sleep. I guess I’ll see you later at school.” Mark ruffled her hair before jumping out of the window.