Chapter 5

7th Broken Heart

Mark and Yerin have been becoming closer ever since that night, but decided to keep it from their friends.

 

“As Junior said, you should always have someone with you wherever you go.” Mark stated. They were killing time at the rooftop during lunch time; Yerin lied about having some errands.

I can handle myself. I’m not a baby. She wrote on her pad paper.

Mark softly chuckled. “Too bad, I think Junior will baby you for your whole life.”

She pouted. Don’t make fun of me.

“I’m sorry…anyway, you’re still in the process of recovering, and that’s why they’re overprotective of you. And…don’t ever do THAT again. I won’t let you, so stop being an idiot. You have a new family here that truly cares for you.”

I know. I’m sorry. I promise it won’t happen again.

“Why don’t you try talking again?”

I don’t know. I think I’m not yet ready to open myself again to people.

“What about me? I’m a person too. You seem opening up to me.”

I don’t know. I just feel comfortable with you.

He smirked and lay on her lap. “You do know I’m the infamous playboy here, don’t you?”

She was surprised with his action, but let him be. She glared at him and flicked his forehead.

 “Yah.” He grabbed her wrist.

She meronged at him.

“I’m older than you.” He poked her forehead. “But seriously, why do you let yourself be comfortable with a playboy. Aren’t you scared that you might be one of my targets right now?”

She almost let out a laugh at that. She wrote Not really. I have my brother. I know he won’t let anyone harm me. And you’re his friend, you should know better.

He sheepishly grinned at her. “Well, you’re right about that. I know he won’t want any of us to be in that kind of relationship with you…but what if you fall for me?” He cockily asked.

She gaped at him. I can’t believe your true color is showing!

He laughed. “You still don’t know a lot about me.”

I won’t fall for a babo like you.

 “Why? Hm…let me guess…because JB is your type, isn’t he?”

What?! Where did you get that from? Why is JB involved all of a sudden?

“Well, he saved you that night. Maybe it made you feel all butterflies in your stomach.”

Yerin pinched Mark’s nose. Heol, you’re just like my brother. It was a coincidence! We’re not even close.

“I guess losing him really broke you, huh? You think you can’t love again. You’re afraid to open up to people again and to love again…because you can’t afford to lose them.”

She nodded.

“I assure you, time will heal you, with the help of your family and friends.”

 

The bell finally rang, catching their attention.

“I made you remember about that incident again. I’m sorry. You won’t avoid me, will you?”

Yerin chuckled. She didn’t just smile, she chuckled! And it made Mark’s heart skip a beat.

Yes, Mark. Don’t worry. I won’t disappoint you and everyone by going back to square one. See you later. She waved at him before leaving the rooftop.

 

When dismissal came, Jinyoung dragged JB with him to Yerin’s classroom.

“Rinnie! Oppa has to stay for a meeting. Jaebum will take you home, okay? See you later!” He ruffled her hair before rushing off to wherever he’s going.

Yerin blinked at her brother’s fading figure. JB chuckled. “He’s the secretary of the Student Council. We’re graduating soon, so they’ll be busy the next coming weeks. Are you ready to go?”

Yerin looked around.

“Are you looking for Jimin? She was dragged by Bambam as soon as you guys were dismissed. The other guys are with them.”

She nodded and started to lead the way.

“Is your leg already fine?”

She gave him thumbs up and a small smile. Heat was rushing to JB’s cheeks.

“You just…smiled. You should smile more often. You look…pretty. I’m sure Jinyoung will be happy if you do that.”

Yerin sheepishly scratched the back of her head and nodded. She stopped walking and grabbed JB’s wrist. He gave her a questioning look. She pointed at the other direction and started dragging him.

“Where are you going?”

She just kept dragging him and stopped in front of the cemetery. She traced ‘sorry’ on his palm before letting go of his wrist.

“Ah…you wanted to go here. Yeah, I almost forgot. Jinyoung told me that you always go here in the afternoon.”

They stopped in front of Yejun’s grave. “So, Yejun is his name.”

She nodded.

“It might feel unfair, but I believe everything happens for a reason. And I’m pretty sure he’s happy wherever he is right now, so you should be too.”

She grabbed a pen and a piece of paper from her bag. It’s easier said than done. She wrote.

“I know. I’m just telling you…that you have your family and your friends for you. That’s why…” He grabbed her wrist and traced ‘smile’.

Yerin gave him a teary-eyed smile.

JB nodded and wiped the tears forming in the brim of her eyes. “That’s right. Now, do you want to grab some ice cream before you go home? My treat.”

She nodded enthusiastically.

He turned to Yejun’s grave.  “Well, it’s nice to meet you Yejun-ssi. We’ll make sure to take very good care of her. Let’s go?”

 

After having some sweet treat, they finally arrived in front of the Park’s residence.

“I guess I’ll see you on Monday?”

She nodded and gave him a hug. She grabbed his wrist and traced ‘thank you’.

JB blinked and couldn’t feel his own legs. “U-uh…y-you’re always w-welcome. E-enjoy your weekend, baby sis!” He waved before walking away.

“Yeah, a sister. Just a baby sister.” He chanted to himself as he walked home.

 

Yerin gave her mom a peck on the cheek before heading to her room. She almost screamed to see that she was welcomed by a glaring Mark.

“You like JB, don’t you?”

She rolled her eyes, grabbing her pad and pen. I don’t. And what are you doing here? Next time I’ll make sure to close my window.

“You don’t, but he obviously has a crush on you.”

I don’t think there’s anything bad about it, if he does have a crush on me. And you didn’t answer my question.

“You said ‘see you later’ earlier, so I thought you’d want to see me.” He plopped on her bed.

She made a face. You make it sound like I’m being clingy with you.

“Aren’t you?” He teased.

NO WAY! And can you not bother me. I have to study. Engross yourself with oppa’s stuff there.

“Oh gosh, Yerin! You’re such a nerd. It’s the weekend.”

Well, excuse me for being a nerd. Now, shoo~ She grabbed her stuff and sat on the floor to start her business.

Mark pouted and grabbed Jinyoung’s PSP. He lay on Yerin’s lap. She stared at him and sighed before continuing with her studies.

 

Few hours later, Yerin wrote. Mark, where do you stay?

Mark stopped his game and looked at her. “Since Jackson, Bambam, and I are foreigners, we live together in an apartment near school. Most of the time, the rest of the guys sleepover there.”

Don’t they look for you? You’re always AWOL.

“Nah, they’re used to it.”

“Yerin, dinner’s ready!” Jinyoung called.

Oppa’s already here! I didn’t even notice he already arrived.

“Because you’re too busy, nerd. Well, I guess that’s my cue.” He ruffled her hair and jumped off of her window.

Stop jumping off like that! She showed her pad through her window for Mark to see.

Mark just grinned at her and waved before running off.

 

She opened her door to be greeted by a tired-looking Jinyoung.

“What were you doing?”

She opened her door widely for him to see her books scattered all over the floor.

“Oh gosh, Yerin! You’re such a nerd. It’s the weekend.”

Yerin prevented herself to smile, remembering Mark telling her the same exact line. She just shrugged, and then frowned. She pointed at her brother’s eye bags.

“Oh…this? Don’t worry, since it’s Saturday tomorrow, I can sleep all I want and these bags will go away. Come on, let’s eat.”