Chapter 2

7th Broken Heart

Her phone slipped off of her hand once she saw Jimin’s message. Her mind became blank and tears were rolling down her cheeks non-stop. Her phone started ringing, but she was out of herself.

“Andwae…andwae…”

Mrs. Park rushed to her bedside as soon as she saw Yerin crying. She settled the food on the table and asked her what was wrong.

“Yerin, are you hurt somewhere? Do you want me to call the doctor? Please tell me, I’m getting worried.”

“Eomeonim! Yejun’s not dead, right? Jimin was lying to me, right? Please tell me he was just also in a coma. He’s not dead! Yejun’s…not dead!”

Mrs. Park hugged her and patted her back. “Why are you so stubborn? I didn’t want to tell you because I know this would happen. I told you, you just woke up. You and Yejun are very special kids for me. I lost Yejun, I don’t want to lose you too. Wherever Yejun is right now, you should be happy for him. You know he doesn’t like it when you’re sad and you shouldn’t make him worry. We’ll visit him once you get out, okay?”

Yerin sobbed harder. “We were just starting our life together…”

“Sweetie, you should rest for now, hm? I took care of everything. I resold the apartment Yejun bought. You’ll be staying with me from now on. I’m now your legal guardian. I dropped you out of school and will transfer you once you recover.”

 

Three days later, Yerin’s physical condition was improving and she can finally get discharged of the hospital, but ever since she woke up, she’s been emotionally unstable.

“Please bring her back after two week so we can check up her right leg and I suggest you bring her to a therapist. She has symptoms of depression.”

“I understand. Thank you, doctor.” Mrs. Park bowed and entered Yerin’s room to see Jimin trying to cheer her up but to no avail.

“Yerin-ah, you’re finally discharge. You’re going to meet my son; he’ll fetch us.”

 

“Eomma~!!!” A handsome young man entered the room and gave Mrs. Park’s cheek a peck. “Oh, Jimin-ah!”

“Oppa! Woah, I can’t believe you’re my best friend’s new step-brother!”

“Yerin-ah, this is my son, Jinyoung. You have a brother now. You’ll be attending the same school as his.”

“Jinjja, Eomeonim?! Yerin-ah! That’s where I transferred! We can still be together!” Jimin was very happy, even though her friend was still unresponsive.

“Don’t worry, Jimin and I will look after you, dongsaengie~” Jinyoung ruffled his new sister’s hair and gave her a bright smile. He assisted her to the wheel chair and helped his mom carry their things.

“Jinyoung-ah, let’s stop at the cemetery before we go home.” Mrs. Park told her son once they settled in the car.

 

As soon as they arrived in front of Yejun’s grave, Yerin broke down. Jimin was so hurt to see her friend like that. When it was time to go home, Yerin wouldn’t budge. She didn’t want to leave, so they let her cry until she cried to sleep. Jinyoung carried her to the car and they dropped Jimin off to her house before heading home.

“Eomma, let her use my room. I can stay with the guys.” Jinyoung said as he tucked Yerin on his bed.

“Mianhae, Jinyoung-ah. We’ve been barely at home together because I was busy with the orphanage, so you’ve been staying with your friends.”

“It’s alright. I understand you. And if you’re thinking that I find Yerin bothersome, then you’re wrong. You know I’ve always wanted to have a younger sister.”

“With her state right now, she’s a handful.” Mrs. Park sighed.

“Don’t worry. I can deal with that. I’ll do my best to take care of her and be her real brother. After all, she’s a family now.”

“I’m very grateful to have a son like you.”

Jinyoung hugged his mom. “I’ll be back tomorrow morning. Rest well, okay?” He pecked her cheek and left.

 

 

After two weeks, Yerin’s cast was off. The therapist said that it’s normal for a person to have symptoms of depression after losing someone very important to them. It was not that bad though, since she still can eat (even a little amount) and respond a little. The therapist also mentioned that Yerin should be brought back to him if her condition worsens, because it might lead to something worse. She still doesn’t show any emotions and always cries to sleep. Every afternoon, she would be found sitting alone in front of Yejun’s grave. On the bright side, Mrs. Park was glad to see her son and Jimin always beside Yerin. They would always bring her out and try to have fun, and they’re very happy that she would sometimes respond a little.

 

It was finally time for Yerin to return to school. Mrs. Park knows that she’s a very good student and she’s worried that it might change due to her condition.

“You worry too much, eomma. I’ll be there to look after her. Jimin and three of my friends are in the same class as hers. They can be there for her.” Jinyoung said to his mom.

They were having breakfast, readying for school.

“Rinnie.” It was a nickname Jinyoung gave her. “School is near, so we’ll have to walk, okay? Tell oppa if your leg hurts.”

Yerin nodded. Jinyoung was happy with the response so he ruffled her hair.

 

Jimin was waiting in front of their house, so they all walked together.

“Jimin-ah, tell Bambam not to scare my sister. He can be so hyper sometimes.”

“Rin-ah, Bambam is of our age. He’s really cute but can be really annoying. We still have Youngjae and Yugyeom, they’re much calmer.” Jimin told Yerin.

 

Six boys welcomed them as soon as they arrived. Yerin noticed that one of the six boys seemed uninterested of his surroundings. She wondered how he became friends with these chaotic guys.

“Woah~ Junior-hyung, your sister is so pretty!” Bambam cooed.

Yerin shot her brother a confused look. He learned how to read her in two weeks time. “Ah, Junior is a nickname they gave me. Most people call me that.” He explained. “Hey guys, you should introduce yourselves to my sis.”

“Hi, I’m Im Jaebum. JB will do.”

“Jackson Wang. I’m from Hong Kong so they call me Wang Kong. It means King Kong in Korean. Weird, right?”

“If maknae line has Bambam as the most hyper kid, then hyung-line has Jackson.” Jimin explained.

“I’m Choi Youngjae.”

“I’m Kunpimook Bhuwakul. I’m from Thailand. My name is hard to pronounce so they gave me a nickname, Bambam.”

“I’m Kim Yugyeom, the youngest.”

Yerin stared at the last person. He didn’t even bother to look up and introduce. He’s so engrossed whatever was on his nails.

“The last member is Mark. Mark Tuan. He’s from LA. He doesn’t really talk that much and it’s so ironic that he’s best friends with Jackson. He’s a playboy, but he’s really a nice person once you get to know him.”

Yerin just nodded, acknowledging what her brother said.

“Alright, guys. Let’s go to class. You three, look after my dongsaeng! Jimin will tell me if you try something funny on her.”