Chapter 11

7th Broken Heart

Saturday morning came and the sun greeted Yerin, waking her up. She tossed around her bed and once she opened her eyes, disappointment washed over her. “He lied.”

“I didn’t.” The voice made her jolt up. She turned to her left to see Mark leaning against the window frame. She was agape. “Good morning, Baek Yerin.”

She widely grinned and jumped off to hug him.

“Oh my gosh, Yerin. I was with you last night. I will never get a girlfriend if girls would be so clingy like you.”

“Yeah, right. Says someone who is known as a playboy.”

“Playboy…means those weren’t serious relationships.” He said in a ‘duh’ tone.

“And I think you’ll never have a serious one.” She meronged.

He stepped forward which made her step back. “Oh, are you challenging me? What if I win?”

“That will never happen, for sure.” Her back collided with a wall.

“You’re sure, huh?” He smirked. “What if I tell you I am already starting feel something for someone…and it’s serious.” He rested his palms on the wall on either side of her head.

“Nah, how would you have such feelings for someone when you don’t even interact with people.”

Mark raised his brow at her. She said the answer herself. Who does Mark only interact with? Realization hit her and she couldn’t think of a good remark.

“If I win…” He leaned in, their lips dangerously close. “I will get what I want.”

Not wanting to show she felt threatened, she said. “And if I win?”

“I can be your slave, or do you have something in mind? I’m not worried about anything you want. I know I’ll win.”

Yerin sighed in relief when a knock was heard from her door.

Mark silently groaned. “I’ll see you later then.” He ruffled her hair before leaving through the window.

Thanks to Mark, she almost forgot she’s supposed to have a date with her brother today. “I’m getting ready, oppa!” She shouted for Jinyoung to hear.

 

Yerin was so happy to have some time spent with her brother. The two of them shopped for clothes and some cute stuff they would randomly see. Jinyoung even bought her a cellphone. When they finally decided to eat lunch, Yerin saw a familiar figure.

“JB oppa!” She called.

“Yerinnie!” He greeted her with his killer smile.

“Are you alone? You can table with oppa and me.”

“Oh, sure. Thanks.”

Jinyoung frowned when Yerin came back to their table. “Yerin-ah, this is supposed to be our date. Why did you bring this babo with you.”

“Oppa, why are you so mean to your best friend?”

“It’s okay. I’m used to it.” JB said.

“Tch, acting all innocent in front of my sister.” Jinyoung muttered.

“Oh JB oppa, put your number in. Oppa bought me a phone.” She handed him her phone which he gladly put his number in.

“No deleting of messages. I’ll check your phone everyday!” Jinyoung warned his sister with his eyes glaring at JB.

“Oppa!” She whined.

 

Much to Jinyoung’s annoyance, JB tagged along with them. Nonetheless, he’s happy that his sister is enjoying the day. Afternoon came and they decided to head home. Yerin told Jinyoung that she would stay in the park for a while; he agreed and used this opportunity to talk to JB.

“I know you sincerely like Yerin, but please…stop.”

“Why?”

“You do know her condition, Jaebum.”

“I know. And I don’t mind it. She’s improving and she will get better soon.”

“No, you don’t understand. I, myself, also want to believe that she’s slowly healing. I’m afraid her condition is just getting worse.”

“What do you mean?”

“There are some people telling me about Yerin. I don’t want to believe it yet, nor have I seen it myself. I haven’t told Mom about this either. I don’t want her to worry.”

“What is it?”

“I won’t tell you…yet. I have to confirm it myself first.”

“I’ll be here to help you no matter what her condition is. Feelings aside, Yerin is like a sister to me as well.”

“Thank you, really. I’ll trust you with my sister. Please let her have some company all the time. If you can’t, let the others accompany her. And let’s keep this matter just to the two of us, okay?”

JB nodded.

 

Yerin was sitting on a bench in the park, playing with her phone: sending silly stickers to her brother, taking pictures here and there, and whatnot. She was about to take a selca when a pair of lips collided on her cheeks. She turned to her side to see Mark grinning at her. She looked at the photo captured: Mark kissing her cheek.

“I see you got a new phone, huh?”

“Oppa bought it for me. Put your number in.”

“I don’t have a phone.”

She raised a brow at him.

“My previous one broke. I’m still saving up to buy a new one.”

He stole her phone from her and did something before returning it to her. She checked her phone to see what Mark did. He set their picture as her wallpaper.

She rolled her eyes. “So childish.”

“You can’t change that! I will check your phone all the time.”

She snorted. “You’re just like oppa.”

 

Monday came and since her brother was getting busier, JB was asked to be stuck with her. She wanted to inform Mark that she won’t be able to have lunch with him at the rooftop but to her surprise, he was at the table with their friends. As she sat down in front of him, she discreetly raised her brow at him, as if asking why he was there. Mark just shrugged and mouthed ‘Can’t I?’ She rolled her eyes and decided to have a conversation with the guys.

“Yerin~ let’s hangout later, after school.” Jimin told her. Before JB could speak, she added “Just the two of us.”

“Junior will kill me.” JB told Jimin.

“Why are you even following his orders? And it’s not like she’ll go out with some stranger. She’ll be with Jimin.” Jackson said.

“I know, but I understand his protective side. You guys do know I have a little sister as well.”

“You do?” Yerin asked, surprised and excited. “I’d like to meet her.”

“Oh yeah, I almost forgot that you like kids.” Jimin commented.

“It seems like JB hyung gained some points on that.” Bambam whispered to Yugyeom and Youngjae as the three of them laughed to themselves.

“I’ll introduce you to her some time. I’m sure she’d be happy to meet you as well.”

“That’d be nice, oppa. But don’t get away from the topic; let Yerin hangout at the mall with me.” Jimin said.

JB sighed. “Alright. But send me a message as soon as you two are done. I’ll fetch you.” He strictly pointed his finger at Yerin.

“Ne! I understand.” She saluted to his words.

 

Yerin was peacefully reading a book in the library when someone suddenly startled her.

“Don’t do that! You scared me. And we’re in the library.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Just wanted to kill some time. What about you? Why are you not with the guys?”

He noticed that her pad paper was with her. Changing the topic, he asked. “Why do you still have that with you?”

“Oh, nothing. Just reminiscing and rereading some stuff.”

He suddenly snatched it from her and wrote Mark is so handsome.

She wrote back No, you’re not. My brother is the most handsome.

OMG! Yerin likes her own brother.

Babo.

Then, is it JB?

Here we go again with your childish questions. I know where this is leading to, so I'll cut the chase. Mark is handsome and I like him the most. Happy now?

I knew it! Yerin likes Mark!!!

“YAH!” She stood up from her chair and snatched the pad paper from Mark, and then she realized they were in the library. Everyone was staring at her.

“Baek Yerin, please observe silence in the library.” The librarian said.

“I’m sorry.” She bowed and elbowed Mark.

“Sorry for disturbing. I guess I’ll be taking my leave.” He sheepishly grinned and left the library. You shook your head and went back to your business.

 

After a little while, a female student approached her. “Excuse me? Do you need someone to talk to? I can accompany you.”

Yerin blinked at her. “Oh no, I’m alright.”

“O-okay…” The girl scratched her head and gave her a weird look before leaving.