Chapter 16

7th Broken Heart

“JB!”

He turned around upon hearing her voice. “I’m sorry for walking out. Don’t worry, I’m not mad.”

She sighed in relief. “Then why did you walk out? “

“It’s just that I’m embarrassed.”

Yerin raised her brow for him to explain further.

“Yerin, if it wasn’t obvious, I like you. The guys even made it more obvious. I’m just embarrassed that I didn’t even get to confess to you but I lost already.”

“You guys must be misunderstanding something. I don’t like Mark that way.”

“Nor you like me that way. I knew from the start that you just see me just as a brother, but I thought I could at least have a chance, unknown to us, you’ve always had Mark by your side.”

“JB…”

“You might be still in your denial state. You like him, Yerin. And don’t worry about me. Like I said to your brother, feelings aside, you’re still a sister to me.”

She gave him a hug. “Thank you, really.”

 

Days passed and Mark was finally discharged from the hospital. Today is his first day back in school. Much to Yerin’s dismay, he still can’t remember anything.

Girls swoon upon his arrival. Many were glad to see he’s back. What he told her before was right: girls do literally throw themselves at him. She wondered what Mark does have for girls to like. Good-looking? Nah, she thinks her brother has the best look in their troupe. What made the girls caught off guard was Mark warmly greeted them back. Unlike before, he’d flirt back verbally.

“Did he hit his head hard?”

“I guess the accident gave him a lesson.”

“Heard that the girl with him in the accident died.”

Whispers as such could be heard. She didn’t know the Mark Tuan she knows was this popular.

 

Lunch bell rang. She wanted to have some peace, so she decided not to join her friends to the cafeteria. She’s sure it’d be chaotic there with Mark’s comeback. She headed to the rooftop, and to her surprise, she wasn’t alone. They had a few seconds of staring contest before Yerin looked away and walked to the railings. Another déjà vu.

“What brings you here, Yerin? Why are you not with the guys?” He started a conversation.

“I always come up here and enjoy the peace with a certain someone. It’s pretty noisy in the cafeteria.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Before the accident, I also stay here during lunchtime. It’s peaceful. So, is JB also coming up here?”

She frowned at him.

“Well, I thought you were talking about JB. Don’t you two have something for each other?”

She sighed. “JB LIKED me. But we’re in good terms. He’s my brother and I’m his sister.”

“Aw, so my friend got rejected, huh? Brother-zoned. What’s the reason? You like someone else? Bambam perhaps?”

She made a face at that. “Well, it’s because of that certain someone. He fixed the broken me and told me he loves me, but left me all of a sudden. He came back, but forgot about me.” She said that while staring right into his eyes.

Mark was confused as he felt a pang in his chest. “Maybe he’s suffering amnesia? Don’t give up and try to make him remember. He’ll remember you if he…really loves…you.” His own words made him think.

“I’ve been trying, but to no avail.”

“Want me and the guys to help you? Do we know him?” He offered.

“He’s…standing right in front of me.” The tears she’s been holding finally let go.

“W-what…? Why do you keep telling me like we’ve known each other before? How is that possible that I fixed you and even fell in love with you when I’ve been in coma for months? Are you crazy?”

What he said hurt her.  “I hate you…how can you do this to me? You knew I’m fragile, but why did you tell me you love me when you knew you’d forget about me once you’re back in your body?” She kept hitting his chest. “You babo! You said you were able to read my mind. You must have known JB wasn’t the reason why I gave myself a chance. How can you just forget me after making me…believe in love again? Why did you make me…fall in love with you?” She sobbed in his chest.

“Go ahead and think I’m crazy, maybe one of your sasaeng fans. I know I’m too late to realize. I love you, Mark. Please remember me.”

 

It was quiet. All she could hear was his heartbeat. She felt the top of her head getting wet and looked up. He was crying.

“Yerin…Baek Yerin…” He smiled and hugged her, arms tightened around her, not wanting to let go.

“…Mark?”

“I can remember everything now.” He mumbled against her shoulder. “I’m sorry if I didn’t tell you. I was forbidden to tell you about it. I thought I’d really never remember you again. Thank you for not giving up.”

“B-but how? I’ve been trying but you never did until now.”

“The moment you said you love me…everything came back flooding in my head.” He looked into her eyes. “I love you, too.” He leaned in and kissed her.

Yerin couldn’t be happier. She encircled her arms around his neck and pulled him closer, kissing him back.

 

The two decided to skip the afternoon classes and just enjoyed each other’s company at the rooftop. When they heard the last bell rang, they headed down hand-in-hand.

“Oh~~~ what do we have here?” Jackson nudged Jinyoung as their friends eyed their entwined hands.

Yerin blushed and avoided eye contact with her brother.

“No matter how much I dislike it, I already accepted the fact that my sister is in love with you. I’m actually glad that I suppose you already remember her. But being a bad influence to her on your first day back in school?! How can you make my sister ditch her afternoon classes?!”

“She was the one who wanted to skip classes!” Mark defended himself.

“Hey, you were!” Yerin retorted.

“Just cut it out, you two. Since we’re finally complete and drama is all done, shall we celebrate?” Jimin said.

“Wooh!!! Parteeeh!!!” The three maknaes cheered.

They earned smacks on the head from JB. “No one is partying, idiots. We’ll just eat out.”

“As long as there’s food, let’s go!!!” Bambam took the lead as he dragged Yugyeom and Youngjae with him.

“Kids are so hyper these days.” Jackson commented as they followed the three.

“I have my eyes on you, Mark. Don’t you dare hurt my baby girl.” Jinyoung narrowed his eyes at him.

“I won’t, Junior.” Mark kissed the crown of Yerin’s head.

“Oh, by the way, no PDA in front of me. I might end up banning you to even just hold hands with my sister.”

“Yes, sir!” He saluted as they laughed all together.

 

(A/N: I see most of you are shocked about the MAJOR plot twist hehehe what did you guys think about it?)