Should Have Known

Will Our Love Change?

Eunyoung's POV

I wasn’t sure why Daehyun would still hang around me when things have sort of died down. Jaehyun isn’t around me anymore so why? There were times when he came over. I have a feeling it’s mommy’s doing. He wouldn’t appear for no reason right? What is mommy planning? 

I agreed to hang out with him and suggested going to Himchan Oppa’s house instead because it would be just us two. There wouldn’t be any acting in front of anyone. He doesn’t need to put up a show in front of my parents. And... is it bad that I still kinda want to spend some alone time with him even though I know it’s wrong. Sigh... I hope no one appears at Himchan Oppa's place without warning.

I don’t want to appear that I like him too much so I said things I wouldn’t normally say. When he suggested cooking together, I hestitated. I was reminded of that steak incident at Jaehyun’s place. I eventually agreed because it’s Daehyun. I believe he is not that monster and what would he do? He wouldn’t touch me. I was also a little surprised that the remembered our casual coversations months back.

“Let’s go.” He said as he grabbed my arm. I didn’t want him to hold me because firstly, we’re not together. Secondly, he has a girlfriend. I don’t want to be the third party even though she was the one... Thirdly, I don’t want to misunderstand anything  

The walk to the mart was a peaceful one. I had nothing much to say so we didn’t really talk much. We went around shopping for food and it felt nice and normal. Even though it was pretty mundane, I enjoyed it because it’s with Daehyun. Before I knew it, I was already Subconsciously picking some of his favourites.  

When we got back, we started cooking. Daehyun was pretty patient with me. I didn't expect him to be this patient especially now that he is in a gang. I would think that he would have a short fuse. He was actually a really good teacher. I like listening to his explanation before trying it myself because he didn't talk that much in the past. It's nice hearing him speak more. I also didn't want to screw up or give him any reason to yell at me so I followed his words as accurately as I could.

"Ow!" He shouted as he was chopping the meat. All I saw was blood! I panicked a little before rushing out to get the band aid. Luckily they were at the same part of the house as I remembered.

"Why are you so careless!" I asked as I rinsed his finger under the running water. It must hurt a lot. 

"I was distracted..." He said as I attended to his wound. I then realised his face was really close to mine. Why was my heat beating this fast? After all, it has already been so long! I moved away, not wanting him to hear anything funny.

"Here. You do it yourself." I said as I put the band aid on the table. He was struggling to do it by himself, no matter how he did it, it didn't look like it was neatly wrapped. I ended helping him. I'm guessing he was doing it on purpose, pretending that he couldn't do it by himself. He usually takes care of himself. It didn't make sense that he couldn't wrap a band aid around his finger... Why did he want me to help? His actions were making me confused.

I then decided to take over all the chopping. He was really patient, he didn't rush me but instead asked me to go slower and be careful. He didn't even get angry nor did he judge me when my meat were of different thickness, so ugly looking.

When everything was prepared, we started cooking. Daehyun helped a lot despite being injured. All I want to do was make sure the fried rice will be a success. I don't want to disappoint him and myself. When it was done, I didn't expect myself to be this excited at the finished product. It's our first time cooking together.

"Try it!" I exclaimed as I picked up a spoonful for Daehyun to try. I didn't know why I wanted to impress him. I should have tried it first before asking him to try. Thankfully, he wasn't disappointed with the taste of it. I felt elated hearing his 'sort of' compliment. 

We then ate together. After trying the fried rice, I don't think it matched the taste that I was expecting (mine didn't taste as good) but seeing Daehyun enjoying the food made me want to eat a lot too.

After eating, Daehyun offered ice cream which I couldn't say no to. We went back to how it was before we started cooking, no words were exchanged and we were awkward again... I pretended I was really watching tv.

"It's late. I really shoould get going." I told him. I wished I could stay longer but after recent events, I don't feel comfortable being outside for too long.

"I'll walk you home." Daehyun offered. If I knew he would walk with me, I wouldn't mind staying just a little longer. At least I didn't need to walk home alone. His girlfriend sure is a lucky girl... At least I believe Daehyun will not mistreat her.

When we reached my gate, there was a peaceful silence. I didn't really want to say bye so soon but why am I still clinging on to it, whatever it is. This thing between us.

Just when I was about to open my mouth to say bye, Daehyun did something I didn't expect him to do. He grabbed my neck and kissed me! If it was the me in the past and we were together, I would treasure this sweet moment and even kiss him back but now, I was caught by surprise and tried to push him away. He kept forcing the kiss! His actions unfortunately reminded me of Jaehyun and I felt really disgusted, even more at myself. Memories of the forceful kisses clouded my head and I just desperately wanted to run away. The more he kissed, the more guilty and gross I felt. I kept struggling and pushing and finally managed to break free.

"Why did you do that?!" I shouted as I raised up my palm, I really wanted to slap him. For what? For forcing me to think of the dark past, for forcing me continue the kiss even though I tried to push him away, for playing with my feelings, for not being like this when we were together. Why do it now?! Why do it after all that has happened? Why make me feel dirty again? Why make me hate myself all over again?

A tear rolled down my face as I put my hand down. How could I even think of slapping him? I would be no different from his parents then...

"Sorry... I love you." He said as he wiped my tear away. What? Did I hear him correctly? 

"You don't love me. You just pity me that's why. That's not love. You're confused." I laughed bitterly. He never said it before even when we were together. How could he possibly love me now? He left me for another girl. How am I supposed to believe it? 

"Young-" Daehyun started but I didn't want him to continue what he had to say.

"It's late. I'm going in." I said as I entered my home without giving him a second look. I didn’t want to hear what he had to say.

 

The next few days, there were no news from Daehyun. See? It's pity. He didn't mean it. How would he know what is love? I feel stupid for actually hoping he would really like me. 

Daddy brought me out to spend time together with me. He probably wants to cheer me up. While Daddy was driving us home, I spotted Daehyun. He was with his girlfriend. She had her arms around him and he was very close to her, hugging her really closely. They seem to be laughing and chatting happily. Youngie, you're too stupid to actually fall for his words. I should have known it was too good to be true. There's no such thing as love, especially after everything, stupid girl. Why did he give me a glimmer of hope and make me feel just a little happy only to push me back to hell again? I only have myself to blame.

 

I don't like how short this chapter is...