Taking Care

Will Our Love Change?

Eunyoung's POV

After dinner, I heard a knock on my door. How polite, my room door wasn’t even closed.

“Can I come in?” I nodded without even looking.

“Why are you so moody?” Daehyun asked as he sat beside me.

“I don’t like how they are treating you!” I replied, feeling unfair for him.

“How exactly are they treating me?” He asked.

“Can’t you feel it? Daddy was so hostile towards you, it’s unlike him. It’s not like you never stay here before.” 

“But whatever he said was the truth and he just cares about you, after all, I’m still the outsider here. There are things which need to be said.” Daehyun explained.

“What outsider?! You’re my boyfriend!” I replied, feeling angry.

“I know, to you I am but maybe your dad doesn’t see it that way? You’re his precious baby. He probably have some sort of checklist for his daughter’s future other half or something like that.” He said. Since when did he learn to reason like that?

“Then will you work hard till Daddy ticks everything off that checklist?” I asked, leaning against him, careful of his arm.

“I’m not sure. If his daughter is troublesome then I might have to reconsider.” He said, smiling as he held me closer to him.

“Hey! I’m not troublesome!” I replied. He laughed. Did he meant it as a joke or he’s laughing at me? Either case it didn’t matter. I’m relieved that he wasn’t affected by whatever Daddy said to him. Turns out I’m more affected than him.

We talked in my room till it was 11pm and Oppa just had to shout and remind us that it’s 11pm. Why is he so annoying? I don’t see him as on time on normal days.

“I better leave. Don’t want to break any rules on the first day here.” He said as he was prepared to leave. NO! My comfortable position leaning against him was now gone when he stood up.

“Wait! We can still hang out as long we’re not in both of our rooms!” I said.

“Why? You can’t bare to be apart from me?” Daehyun asked with a teasing tone as he held my chin with his fingers. I squeezed his face between my palms, feeling embarrassed. Is it me or did Daehyun became bolder than before?

“Fine. Go back to your room then. I was just thinking for you, you seldom sleep so early. I just suggested that maybe you want my company.” I tried to make it seem that it was for him instead but we both know the true reason anyway.

“”Aww you’re so sweet. Let me wash up first. Meet you at the balcony in half hours’ time?” He said as he pinched my nose.

“Half hour? What are you doing?! Having a bubble bath?” I asked. Why would a guy take so long?

“My arm is wrapped up girl.” He reminded me. Oh. It slipped my mind. I smiled innocently at him.

“Oh I can help you!” I replied.

“HELP ME WHAT?! YOU WANT TO WASH ME?” He overreacted. Oh. I should have said it more clearly.

“Help you wrap your arm with a plastic bag so it’s easier!” I quickly replied.

“Oh. Complete what you’re going to say next time!” He gave my forehead a very light tap. I stuck out my tongue.

While he went to wash up, I chilled a while longer in bed before heading to the kitchen to make some tea. 

I heard Mommy and Daddy talking in their room and heard them mentioning about Daehyun. I tried to eavesdrop on what they were saying.

“Why were you so harsh on Daehyun during dinner?” I heard mommy asked.

“I wasn’t.” He replied.

“Oh really? What’s with the 11pm rule then? We didn’t have that rule then when I moved in with you.” Mommy said.

“We’re different, you can’t compare us and them.” Daddy said without elaborating. Mommy laughed.

“You know, there might be a chance of them marrying each other right seeing how we turned out.” Mommy said. What? Marriage?!

“What? Marry?! It’s too soon to say that! My little girl can’t get married!” Daddy said. I frowned but Mommy laughed again.

“Then what? Stay with you forever?” Mommy asked.

“Yes!” Daddy said. I think they were probably joking. I heard what I want to hear and decided to leave when Daddy added new information.

“I’m watching him very closely. He went from being close to Youngie to not contacting her and then suddenly moving in. I don’t know what that boy is up to.” Daddy thought out loud. What? Is Daddy thinking too much?

“I’m sure he means no harm. You know about his background. You’re being paranoid.” Mommy said. I nodded, agreeing with her.

“You’re too nice and too trusting.” Daddy said. 

“Maybe. But something tells me he’s a good guy and Youngie seems to really like him. No matter how much you doubt him, you promised me to stay out of their relationship.” Mommy added.

“Yes yes. I know but I can’t help worrying.” Daddy replied. Stay out? Was he planning to do something if Mommy didn’t stop? I wondered.

“Young? Why are you just standing here?” Daehyun suddenly appeared.

“Oh nothing! Let’s go!” I smiled as hugged his free arm as we headed down. I don’t want Daehyun to hear things that might affect his mood. I’m sure Daddy will change his views soon! I have that much faith in Daehyun!

Before we even finished our pot of tea, Daddy came out. 

“It’s almost 12am. Go to bed Youngie.” Daddy said. I sulked. Why today of all days he had to care about what time I’m going to sleep?

“Yeah go to sleep. I’m tired too. Goodnight Uncle, night Young.” Daehyun added. I could only listen to them…

 

The next day, I woke up feeling excited to spend it with Daehyun. I really am a clingy girlfriend… I headed to his room, knocking on the door first but there wasn’t any answer. I decided to invite myself in. As I expected, Daehyun was still fast asleep. I’m going to give him morning kisses to hopefully make him feel more loved but of course, with his consent. Take things slow Youngie!

Daehyun was wrapped under the blanket. I lightly tapped him to wake him up and also brushed his fringe away from his forehead. I got a shock. His forehead is burning! I then realised he was perspiring! Is he having a fever?!

“Daehyun? Wake up…” I shook him lightly. He groaned but didn’t open his eyes.

“I think you’re running a fever. Wake up please. At least let me know you’re okay.” I shook him with a little more force than before.

“Urghh.” He tried to get up. I helped him up and he rested against the bedrest.

“Do you want some water?” I asked.

“I’ll take it myself. Damn, my throat hurts.” He said as he tried to leave the bed. I stopped him of course.

“You’re not feeling well! I'll get it. ” I replied as I pushed him back down on the bed and rushed to get water for him. 

“Let's go to the doctor alright? You're sick. “ I suggested when I handed him the water.

“No doctor please. I'll be fine. I just need to rest.” He replied. 

“Why not? You really don't look too well.” I said, feeling worried. 

“Just listen to me this once okay? It's a waste of money. Do you have any painkillers at home or some medicine for fever?” Daehyun asked. Why is he so stubborn? I guess I really can't force him. 

“I'll check with my mom! Be very quick!” I replied as I ran towards her room. 

“Mommy! Daehyun is sick! Do we have fever medicine or something?” I asked. 

“He's sick? I'll get it for you. But he needs to eat first.” Mommy told me. 

“Okay thank you! I'll let him know!” I ran back down to his room again. 

“Mommy will bring it in later. You need to eat something first. I'll just make something for you?” I said to Daehyun. 

“Don't bother. Don't worry about me. Just do your own thing. I'll just rest.” He replied. Why is he taking this so lightly? He's having a fever! 

“I'll make porridge for you. Or at least I will try to. I think I better get Mommy to do it.  You rest a little first. I'll be back!” I said as I covered him with the blanket. 

“Young stop fussing. It's really no big deal. I don't want to burden you or your Mom. Remember what your dad said? Your mom is not my maid neither are you.” He coughed. 

“How is taking care of you burdensome when I'm the one who volunteered? What maid. Its different! You’re sick!” Why is he suddenly so stubborn today? Are daddy’s words the reason?

“Don't bother your Mom then.” He replied. I didn't want to argue with him because he looked really tired but he's taking this too lightly! 

“As much as I want to cook for you, I can't because I'm probably gonna screw up the food. Just be good and listen to me okay?” I patted him and left the room without giving him a chance to argue back. I should have done this earlier. 


Daehyun's POV

Ugrhh why must I fall sick now? I'm guessing it might be the cut on my arm. Just when I'm staying with Young, I become a burden. Her dad would probably dislike me even more now because I'm bringing so much trouble to them. I don't get what's the big fuss is about. It's just fever. It's not like I'm dying or something. Isn't Young overreacting? Usually when I fall sick I will just get bread and pills. No big deal. This girl is definitely overreacting. 

“What are you doing?!” I exclaimed when I felt something wet and cold on my forehead. I just closed my eyes. 

“Sorry I didn't mean to scare you. Must be really cold huh? Bare with it okay? This helps!” She got a shock and then lightly placed the ice pack back on my forehead. I feel like a freaking baby who can't even take care of myself. 

“I'll do it. I'm serious, you go and do your own thing. Don't worry about me.” I replied as I held the pack. 

“Why do you keep pushing me away today? Am I annoying you? I just want you to feel better and get well but you seem like you hate me doing this. I promise I won't disturb your rest. Just let me lower your temperature and then if you really want me to leave you alone, I will.” She sounded so sad I was afraid she was gonna cry. 

“I don't hate you Young. I'm just not used to people taking care and fussing over me over a small thing.” I replied as I held her hand. She can be very sensitive. 

“Fever is not a small thing! It can get worse! And from now on, I'll take care of you so you better start getting used to it!” She smiled. She really is an angel. Since nothing I say would make a difference, I made space for her on the bed so she would be more comfortable. 

“Does your cut hurt?” She asked. 

“Not really.” I shook my head. 

“That's good. Oh! I shouldn't disturb you. Rest first. When the porridge is ready, I'll wake you up. Don't mind me. Sleep.” She said. I wordlessly hugged her waist, feeling thankful for having her. Only she can give me such warmth and comfort. 

“Why did you remove your arms?!” Young shouted which shocked me a little. This crazy girl.

“What if you get sick too? I think maybe it’s best you just leave me be.” I said.

“Then I’ll just get sick! You’re not getting rid of me so easily!” She pressed the ice pack on my forehead.

“Cold, cold! Being sick .” I told her.

“It’s okay because you’ll take care of me!” She smiled.

“Are you sure? I will just eat all the food you can’t eat right in front of you, more for me anyway. You have to sit through me eating and you can’t do anything about it. I probably stay far away from you because being sick is not fun at all.” I maintained a serious expression. 

“You are so so so so mean and ungrateful!” She folded her arms grumpily and looked away. Silly girl, did she really think I would do that? I’ll probably be the one cooking for her and attending to her because she is used to such treatment and I’ll be too worried, though I’m not gonna tell her that. 

"Move your big !" She grumbled as she squeezed me to the other side of the bed and made room for herself. This girl, despite being grumpy and acting cold and all, she still stayed by me, taking care of me, treating me like a patient( with a pouty look that makes me want to kiss her). Can I finally get used to someone being concerned for me?

I think I might really be in love with her but I can't tell her now because it would seem like when she does things for me then those words come out. I don't want her to think that she needs to do things for me to say that. I'll find a better time to tell her... I also need to confirm my feelings first.