016

Behind everything

 


“Minaa!” I said, shooing Mina away because she keep scratching Mingyu’s feet that currently bandaged. Mingyu laughed, looking at my reaction. “Nah, it’s okay.” “No it’s not. Your leg is not fully recovered yet.” I said, before walking back to the kitchen, preparing the lunch. “What do you want to cook?” He asked, before focusing back to the TV. “Something.” “Yeah you must be cooking something, but what something.” “Surprise.” “It’s not funny. I’m hungry.” “I know.” I said, and continue chopping the ingredient. He will like this, it’s his favorite. His mother always cooked this for him during he is sick. “I smell something nice.” “Yeah.” I said, smiling. “Here.” “No way.” He smiled, looking at me. A porridge with beef, and carrot. His mother always cook this. “You never cook this for me before.” “Yeah, that’s before.” I said before taking a place next to him. His eyes widen, and sparkling. It’s look like he missed his mom cooking too much. “How is it?” I asked after he finished eating. “It’s really good. I like it.” He said, smiling. I wanted to wash the dishes, but he asked me to stay with him. He put his head on my lap, watching the TV. I smiled. “You’re seriously making me like your older sister.” I said, while playing with his hair. “I miss mom.” He said, and I can feel that he really missed his mom since he rarely meet his mom. I reached out for my phone inside my pocket, and dialed his mom number. I tapped on the loudspeaker, and he look at me questionably as she didn’t answer it yet. “Hello?” His eyes widen. “Hello, it’s me, Narae.” “Oh, Narae. How have you been?” “I’m doing well…” “Where’s Mingyu?” “Mom!” He said, grabbing the phone from me. He tapped on the loudspeaker, and I laughed. He must be wanting to tell his mom all about him, how well he have been. Well, he liked some privacy with his mom. But he still, not planning to get off from my lap. “Mingyu?” I asked as he started crying. I patted his arm, helping him to calm down. “I missed you so much.” And my tears fall down. Will my mom remember me? Will she listen to all my stories, just like Mingyu’s mom? “Thank you.” He handed me the phone and wiped his tears. “You, cried?” I quickly wiped my tears. “Just wondering if omma still remember about my existence.” Another tears fall. He wiped my tears, and smiled. “It’s okay if you cried.” He said, slightly embarrassed because crying in front of me. I laughed. “You really miss her, didn’t you?” He nodded. I sighed deeply, wanting those thought about my mom washed away. “You should give her a call.” He suggested while squeezing my hand slightly. I nodded, and dialed her number. I feel surprised when the number didn’t go to operator, meaning that she must be somewhere in Korea. “Hello?” “Omma?” “Hey, I got work to do, I’ll call you later alright.” And she hung up. Just like that. Mingyu looked at me in disbelieve, and he got off from my lap, sitting next to me. “No, you’re not okay with that.” He hugged me, and I cried. What have I done? Am I that bad? Why they didn’t wished my birthday? Why they didn’t ask me how am I doing? Why? What’s so wrong about asking your own daughter how is she now? I gritted my teeth, holding back the anger. I missed my mom hug, so much. I missed her touch. I missed her cooking too. Did the work is more important than me? Is it all about the company only? How about me? Mingyu patted my back, whispering that everything gonna be okay. But will it be? “Mingyu, am I adopted?” His eyes widen. “Why did you say like that?” “Well, I might not their real daughter, that’s why they did like this to me.” “Hey.” Mingyu held my shoulder, making me look into his eyes. “They’ll realize how important is you one day, okay?” It sounds convincing, I don’t know why. “Now don’t cry, you know, you looked like a gorilla when you cry.” “What the hell.” I blurted out, slightly smiling when he wiped out my tears. “That’s my girl.” He said, patting my head. I buried my face on his chest, and he sighed. “You should be the one who taking care of me.” I pouted. “But never mind, just let stay like this until you feel better.” I nodded, and he wrapped his arms on my waist, pulling me closer.