Miles

Hello, my soulmate

It was today. 

We spent the previous night making love and whispering words of assurance as well as promises to each other over and over again until 2am in the morning. We didn't sleep a wink but I did not feel tired because she was holding me, supporting me. 

Taeyong was the only friend who sent me off because my flight was at 4 30am and the rest were girls, their parents did not allow them to go out in the early morning but they threw a farewell party for me the day before in school and let me have my night with Irene alone. 

I looked to my right to see her clinging onto my arm dearly, nuzzling closer to my shoulder. My parents and brother were sitting opposite us quietly and my mother's eyes were quite red because she did cry once when we arrived at the airport. After all, I would be gone for four years. 

Taeyong came back after getting the three of us some coffee and hot chocolate for Irene, I asked him to. "Buddy." He said and passed the two cups to me. 

"Thanks man." I smiled. He shrugged and sat down beside me. "Hyunnie." I whispered and she looked up to see a cup in front of her. "Hot chocolate." She beamed me a small smile and took the cup from me, sipping slowly and carefully. "Do you want to get some sleep?" 

She shook her head firmly, pressing her body closer to me. "Can you come with me for awhile?" She asked softly. I looked to my left at Taeyong and he raised his eyebrows, telling me to just go ahead. I nodded and held her hand tightly as we stood up. 

"We'll take a walk." I told my parents and they just nodded. 

Irene brought me to a corner where no one was around and I thought she wanted to do something crazy but she fished out her phone from her pocket and started filming me. "What?" I stared at the camera and she giggled softly. 

"Say something. Anything." She smiled from behind the phone. 

"But... I don't know what to say." I scratched my ear awkwardly. "Can you stop filming me?" I said shyly and tried to hide my face. She giggled again and I looked into the camera awkwardly. I coughed and cleared my throat for countless times until I had an idea of what to say. "Pass me your phone." I said and took her phone from her. She blinked at me and I smiled, switching the camera to film to both of us as I stood beside her, putting an arm around her to pull her closer. 

"Hyunnie~" I looked at her and cooed. She blushed and looked at the camera then back at me. "Watch this when you miss me." I turned to the camera then looked at her again. "I know that four years are going to be longer than four years because we will miss each other very much. I... I will remember all the promises that I have made to you just now and all the love that we have made so far." I paused and she hit my chest shyly. Everything was caught on the camera. "No matter how busy I get when I am studying my off, I will always remember to call you at 9pm because you're willing to wake up at 6am to see my cute face. Everything that you have done and going to do, I will always remember them. Because you're so so so special to me and I love you so so so much." I grinned at the camera and then turned to capture her lips. She responded immediately and I hoped that the camera caught everything because I did not really bother to make sure that it was filming us. But I guess it did.

We pulled away and I rested my forehead on hers. "I love you, Bae Joo Hyun." 

"I love you too, Kang Seulgi." She smiled and gave me another kiss on the lips. "I will miss you so much." She sighed and rested her head on my chest, hugging me tightly. 

"I will miss you more." I breathed in her sweet scent and exhaled heavily. "It is time to go back." I said and put the camera down. She nodded and took the phone back from me. 

"I am going to replay this over and over again." She said and I ruffled her hair.

"Send me that. I'm going to watch it too." She nodded at me and I put an arm around her shoulders again to pull her closer to me as we walked back to the seats. 

"You're boarding soon." Taeyong reminded me and I nodded. He stood up and I removed my arm around Irene and gave him a hug. He had never hugged me so tightly before. "You will always be my bestfriend, dumbo." 

"I would have felt touched if you didn't add the last word, gay boy." I chuckled and he squeezed me tighter. 

"I would have removed it if you didn't always call me gay boy." He laughed and pushed himself away from me. "Take care of yourself. Remember to email me or something okay?" 

"Yeah sure." I smiled and looked at the ground. 

"Seulgi-ah." I turned and saw my parents walking up to me. They smiled at me and I gave them a hug each. "You must take care of yourself, okay? Do not do drugs, do not drink, do not-" 

"Yes appa. I won't. I will still be a good girl." I laughed and my father pinched my cheek. "Mom, take care of yourself too. Don't stay up too late to watch tv." 

My mother just nodded and she opened her arms to hug me once again. I saw Seungri shifting behind her awkwardly and I smiled. "Come here, you fool." I said to him and his face lit up, rushing to me as soon as possible and he hugged me tightly as well. "Take good care of momma and papa okay? Study well." I ruffled his hair and he nodded obediently for the first time. 

I turned my body to the right and saw Irene standing there smiling at me. "Now you, remember what I have said to you and..." I pulled her into a hug and whispered into her ear. "I love you." 

"I love you too." She whispered back.

"Don't cry too much okay? It breaks my heart to see you cry. You promise you won't cry that much." I said and rubbed her back. She nodded and pulled away, smiling at me but I knew she was faking a smile. 

I cupped her cheeks and kissed her deeply on the lips which made her blush as we were in front of my parents as well as other people. But I did not care for all that I could see was her. 

"I love you, really." I whispered to her. 

 

 

 

 

 

It was the second day in London and the weather was very freezing. I was going to share a room with another two girls who were also going to be my classmates for the next four years but they had not arrived yet. 

I was video calling Irene at 12pm London time and it was 9pm in Korea. She did not have work the next day so we could talk longer than we wanted. She looked so happy to see my face and could not stop smiling and touching the screen but she would frown when all she could touch was the flat screen. 

"I have been watching to video since dinner." She laughed and I flashed her a toothy grin when I saw the way she laugh. 

"Do you miss me that much? Are you going to miss me even more?" I asked, resting my chin in my hand as I put my elbow on the table. 

She nodded cutely. "You have no idea how much I can love someone." 

"I guess you need to show me then." I winked playfully at her and she giggled. 

"Are you going to live with other people?" She looked at my surrounding. "Show me your room." 

I nodded and stood up, holding my laptop up in my hand as I toured around my room. "This is my bed." I showed her. "How I wish you could be here with me. Anyway, this is the view outside." I showed her what's outside the window.

"There is nothing." She frowned. 

"Exactly." I laughed. My hostel block was surrounded by other blocks. 

"Silly girl." She laughed at me. "What's in the living room?" 

"Living room? I don't think that's counted as living room." I said as I walked out of my room. "There is no tv and nothing." I showed her the living room. There was only a couch in the middle with a coffee table. "Pathetic." I showed her my face again and shook my head. 

"I guess they really just want you to study hard." She chuckled. "You are going to live with nerds." 

"I pray hard that I won't be. I want someone fun." I sighed. "I will die if they are going to just study everyday." 

"They? How many are you going to live with?" She asked. 

"Two, I think." 

"Are they from Korea too? Can you show me?" She asked.

I shook my head. "I don't know yet. They're not here yet." 

"Oh." She nodded. "What if they are pretty?" 

"So what? You're the prettiest." I smiled. She looked down a little and I panicked for a moment because I thought her insecurity was kicking in again. "Hyun ah." 

"What have you been eating?" She asked suddenly and I blinked at the screen. She looked okay. Not jealous. 

"In London? I had instant noodles for breakfast." 

"Seulgi! Buy proper meal. Instant noodles are unhealthy!" She scolded and frowned at me. "Don't be lazy. Since you're so free, go to the supermarket and buy some ingredients to cook." 

"I only know how to fry an egg." I shrugged and plopped myself down on the couch. 

"You are making me worried." She sighed. 

"Okay okay. I will not eat instant noodles too often." I assured her and she looked at me through the screen. "I swear." I raised my palm up.

 

"Uhm... hello." A voice behind me suprised me and I jumped up slightly. I turned around to see a girl coming in, dragging her huge luggage into the house. 

"Baby, wait for awhile." I said to Irene and she nodded. I got up and put the laptop on the coffee table before going to the front door to help the girl with her luggage. 

"Thank you." She said in English. 

"You're welcome." I said back in English. 

"Are you a Korean?" She asked me. I nodded. "Oh my god. Thank god. I am a Korean too! My name is Seolhyun." She initiated a handshake and I took it gladly. 

"My name is Seulgi." I smiled. 

"Seulgi? RV high Seulgi?" She blinked at me. 

"Uhuh... you know about me?" I asked, pointing at myself. 

She nodded. "Heard about you." She smiled. "My friends watched your matches." 

"Ah... thanks." I laughed. "Oh, if you don't mind, I will go back now." I smiled and she nodded. 

"Is that your girlfriend?" She asked, looking at the screen where Irene was still waiting patiently and looking bored. I nodded. "She is pretty." 

"How do you know she is my girlfriend?" I asked as I walked back, putting my laptop on my lap again and Irene smiled when she saw me again. 

"Oh, I heard about it." Seolhyun laughed and then pulled her luggage into her room. "See you later then." She bowed at me and I nodded. 

"Who's that?" Irene asked.

"The roommate." I replied. "I mean house mate. We don't sleep in the same room." Irene chuckled at my wrong choice of word and she stretched her body as she yawned. "Are you sleepy?" 

"No." She said quickly.

"Liar." I laughed and she pouted. 

"Is your housemate pretty?" Her face was straight. 

"Uhm... honest opinion?" She nodded. "Yes." I stood up and went to my room. "But it is kinda funny that she knows about me before I even know her." 

"She knows you?" 

"The soccer matches." I shrugged. "I didn't know that so many people notice me." 

"I told you." She scoffed. "You're so attractive." 

"I just want to attract you." I giggled and I heard someone knocking my door. "Oh wait." Irene pressed her lips together and nodded irritably. I went to open the door and saw Seolhyun standing outside. "Yes?" 

"Nayeon is here." Seolhyun said to me, pointing with her thumb at her back. 

"Nayeon?" 

"The other housemate. So thankful that we are all Korean." Seolhyun laughed and I chuckled lightly, walking out of my room to greet the other girl. We bowed at each other immediately when we saw each other. 

"Hi, my name is Seulgi." I introduced myself first. Nayeon bowed at me again shyly. 

"My name is Nayeon." She said meekly and I felt relieved that my housemates were Korean. It was not that I was racist but it made me feel more like at home since we could still converse in Korean in a foreign place.

"Do you guys want to have lunch together? We can get to know one another better!" Seolhyun suggested. I could already see that who was going to be the happy pill in the house. 

I nodded. "Sure. Let me settle something first." I smiled. Seolhyun giggled at me as she knew what I needed to settle first. Nayeon just bowed at me again as I walked back to my room. "Hyunnie," I cooed and she looked back at the screen from her phone. "My housemates want to go for lunch together. Can I?" 

She nodded. "Of course. You better eat proper food. No instant noodles, you hear me?" 

"Yes yes. I will call you again soon." I smiled, puckering my lips to 'kiss' her. She giggled and kissed her fingers before blowing the kiss to me. I caught it and placed my fingers on my lips. "I got it." I grinned and she shook her head with a smile. "Alright, sleep early baby. I love you." 

"I love you too." She smiled.

"Good night." 

"Good afternoon to you." She chuckled and I wanted to pinch her cheeks so badly. "Alright, go and have your lunch." 

"I will call you again when you wake up." I smiled.