Chapter 36 - How I became a chauffeur

Reversed Cinderella Story

After the first day of settling, I started running around the detective agencies and hired them to look for her. I went to 20 agencies. I know it is a little too much but I was very desperate to find her. I also printed a bunch of missing person flyer with her picture and my info on them. I stood around the crowded intersection and gave it to pedestrians. Some of them threw my flyers on the ground right away but I couldn’t blame them. I patiently picked them up and handed to the next person. Never in my dream have I seen myself do something like this. But I had too. I couldn’t just sit still and wait for the detectives. I felt pathetic about myself too but when I thought about her, her smile, my strength got back to me. She already gave up on our relationship, I couldn’t give up too. I was wrong so I had to take her back, whatever it took.

A few weeks went by but no news about her had ever discovered. All the detectives told me that for some reasons, not any of them could find a single clue about her, as she never existed. I started losing hope. Did she lie to me about where she came from? Did I just waste the entire time for nothing? I was very depressed, walking back to the hotel from the detective agencies. Then suddenly, two big guys in black suit and black sunglasses appeared in front of me. They were as big as Mike Tyson.

They showed me the flyer of Ji Hyo – “Are you the owner of this flyer?” – One man asked with his deep voice.

“Yes, it is me. Do you know the girl in that picture?” – Hope sparked in my eyes. They probably knew who Ji Hyo was.

Without responding me, they looked at each other and nodded their heads. Then suddenly, each of them grabbed one side of my arm and shut me to their car.

“What are you doing?”- I screamed at them and again neither of them answered. They stuffed me in the middle of them in the back of a black luxurious Mercedes. Were they kidnapping me? I was pretty sure that a kidnapper wouldn’t drive this kind of expensive car. I didn’t know what I should do. Should I resist them? Should I keep on screaming? I was sure that no one would be able to hear me from inside the car anyway. Before I could figure thing out, the car had stopped inside the garage of a big building. They escorted me to the elevator and pressed the button straight to the highest floor.

A guy knocked on the door – “He is here, sir.” – He said, respectful.

“Let him in.” – A middle age male voice responded from inside the room.

They opened the door and let me in a huge office. My father is chairman of a big corporation but his office is only one fourth the size of this one and the interior there were all top of the line product. I was very much curious why the owner of this office wanted to see me.

“Is your name Kim Jae Joong?” – A middle age Korean man turned his chair around and asked me. That man looked very familiar. I thought that I saw him somewhere but I couldn’t remember at the moment.

“Yes, sir. And you are?” – I didn’t know who he was but I had a feeling that I should be respectful toward him.

“My name is Cheon Ju Yung.” – That name was very familiar. Oh! I remembered, he was founder of CSI Financial Corporation, the one sponsored my concert in Japan at the last minute last time. Then I became more confused. Why was I at his office?

“May I ask to what I own the pleasure?”

“Why are you looking for my daughter?” – I was surprised with his question? Why was he asking me that? I didn’t know who his daughter was.

Unless – “Is Ji Hyo your daughter?” – That was the only explanation; the only one I was looking for was Ji Hyo. But then that explanation caused me more questions. If Ji Hyo was his daughter then she was the only heiress of the biggest financial corporation in America. Why did she come to Korea and become my maid. I knew from the start that she was different but that was still a big shock to me. Just what game did she play?

“If you mean the girl in this picture then yes but her name is not Song Ji Hyo. Her real name is Cheon Seong Im.” – Cheon Seong Im, that name rang a bell. Right, that was the name that she signed for the shop owner lady last time.

“Right, that is her. Do you know where she’s at?”

“Of course I do. She is my daughter but why are you looking for her?”

“I am her boyfriend.”

“What?” – He stared at me in surprise.

“It is a pleasure for finally meet you sir. I am sorry for the late greeting. I should greet you sooner but Ji Hyo never told me about you.” – I bowed respectfully at him. It seemed like Ji Hyo didn’t tell his father anything about me. I was quite disappointed but I couldn’t blame her. She did break up with me before she left.

“If you are her boyfriend why do you have to hire detectives to look for her? Can’t you just ask her to meet you?”

“It is a very long story sir, but how do you know that I hire detectives to look for her?”

“Do you even know who are you dating? She is one of the wealthiest heiresses in the world. Do you think that I will just let anyone look for her? Whenever someone looks for her, our security system will send a notice and we will do an extensive investigation to make sure that no one is going to harm her. Your search for her is pretty broad. Of course it alarmed me.”

“I am sorry sir. I didn’t know that she was your daughter. I just wanted to look for her so I did all I could.”

“You seem to be a good man but it seemed like my daughter doesn’t want to see you. That’s why you have to do all the searching. Am I right?”

“You are indeed wise, sir. I made a mistake and she ran away from me. I really want to see her again and make it right.”

“Just what did you do to her?” – He was clearly a very concern father. He asked every question possible.

“It is a very long story, sir. Can I see her first?” – I was very desperate. Now I knew who she really was. I really needed to talk to her. Not only that I missed her but I also had a thousand of questions that I needed her explanation. My brain was a real mess.

 “I have time. Tell me the story. I have to know the reason to decide whether or not I should let you see my daughter. If you made a terrible mistake, I don’t see why I should let my precious daughter close to you.” – He was very consistent. I was sure that he wouldn’t give up until he knew the whole story. So I took a deep breath and told him the entire story since the day she became my maid until she left me to come back to America.

He seemed to come from one surprise from another. She definitely didn’t tell him anything about her life in Korea, not at all about me of course.

As I ended my story, the first thing he ask me was – “You made my precious daughter your maid?” – His tone was not at all friendly. I would be shocked too if I knew my precious little princess was someone’s maid. I really couldn’t understand why she wanted to become a maid neither, not because of money I was sure – “Do you know that she never had to touch a single chore since she was kid. Do you know how luxurious her life was here?”

“I am sorry sir. She came and asked for the job. I didn’t know who she really was. I just very liked her so I took her as my maid.”

He slammed his hands on the desk – “That crazy girl and her silly Cinderella dream.” – He mumbled by himself but still loud enough for me to hear it.

“What do you mean sir?” – I was even more confused.

“My daughter is a hopeless romantic. She left America one year ago without telling me to look for her prince charming. I think that was why she wanted to be a maid.” – He said and it explained everything. That was the only reason that a girl wearing all brand name stuffs wanted to be a maid. He should question that from the first place but he was too blinded from her charm so he just ignored it.

But still, it was pretty unbelievable that a grown girl like her still had a Cinderella dream - “Are you serious, sir?” – I asked him in surprise.

“I know it is quite unbelievable but that’s how my daughter is. She is still just a kid in a 25 years old body.”

“So can I meet her now, sir? I really want to see her. I miss her very much.” – I knew I was desperate but I couldn’t wait for a minute longer.

“Well, I can see that you are sincere toward her but my daughter hate liar the most. She refused to tell me things happened in Korea but I know she is very sad. You have to be patient.” – He advised me. Despite the fact that he was a big successful business man, he was really down on earth. In front of me, he wasn’t the founder of a big corporation but simply just a father that very much concerned about his daughter’s happiness.

“So what should I do, sir?”

“Are you willing to do anything to get her back?” – He asked me, serious.

“Of course, sir. Everything.” – I stated, firmly

“Good! So don’t you mind to be her chauffer?”

I stared at him in surprise. “Why, sir?”

“Do you trust me?” – He asked.

“Of course, sir.” – I had no choice but trusted him. He was my only hope to meet Ji Hyo.

“Good, then be her personal chauffer. You will have a chance to see her every day.”

So that was how I, a famous idol, a big heir, became a chauffeur.