Chapter 3- Yay! I'm a maid

Reversed Cinderella Story

Darn jetlag!

It is already 2 A.M but I still have not been able to sleep. Or maybe because of the tiny room that I’m living in without even an A/C unit. There is really nothing much in my room. Only a small blanket on the floor, it’s supposed to be where I sleep, I guess. Are people really able to sleep on flat floor like that? Korean is really amazing. I tried to lay down but it hurt my back so badly. I’m used to my comfortable mattress. I decided to step outside of my apartment to get some fresh air. There is some kind of wood futon in front of my apartment. It looks comfy. I sat down on that futon, push my palms against the surface to support my body and looked up to the sky.

Seoul sky is different than San Francisco sky. There are not much stars here because there are too much lights I guess. I still can’t believe that I’m starting a new life here. There are too much different between Korea and America. I wonder if I can adapt well. But I’m willing to take the risk, just hope that my prince will worth my while.

I wonder if I will ever be able to find my prince. I am laughing on my own ridiculous dream.

Is looking for the prince really the reason I decide to move all the way to Korea? Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe just a part of the reason. Human is a greedy creature. We are never satisfied with what we have. People don’t have money wish for money. People that have money wish for more money. Then what people with too much money want? Romance, I guess. I have been so desperate for a token of romance that I ran away from my comfort zone to a totally different country that half way across the globe.

My life actually has been very poor. I’m so poor that the only thing I have is money. I bought everything with money even friends and boyfriends. But then at the end of the day, all I felt was emptiness. I’m sick of that life. I want something real, real relationship, real romance, and real man. I determine to look for those real things in this country where I’m no body with no money, nothing. Will real love ever find me? I don’t know but one thing I’m sure is that if I ever found my love here, he definitely will be the love of my life. The one loves me for who I really am – a ordinary girl.

The fall wind is so nice. It puts me to sleep before I know it.

The early sun ray woke me up from my short nap. It’s nice to look at the blue sky early in the morning. I don’t remember when the last time I enjoyed the sky this much was. My daily routine in America consisted waking up inside the castle, got into the tinted window car, arrived at the high security office. Everything I did was indoor that I forgot how beautiful the sky can be.

I decide to wash up and walk to the city. I should find a job. I don’t want to use my father money. If I slide a card, he will know where I am right away and have people me back to America. He would pack me in the box and ship me back home if he has to. It is the last thing I want to happen. My adventure is just starting.

Seoul’s streets are very busy. People walk on such a rush, like in New York City. I guess life here is very busy too. There are some men walking up to me, introducing themselves as agents of entertainment companies, asking if I want to become an actress or idol. I don’t know if they are real or just scam but I have no interest in it whatsoever. I prefer a quiet life. I got enough attention in America. People had great interest in heiress’s life. The reporters always tried to get a piece of me. Luckily my father is very protective. I was only transported inside a tinted windows car so no one ever knew my face. I am really thankful for that. I never wanted too much attention, only from my loved one is enough.

An advertisement paper on the traffic light caught my attention as I am waiting to cross the street. Someone is looking for a maid. Perfect. What is more suitable for my Cinderella dream than being a maid? I will be a poor pitiful girl in the kitchen corner and one day my prince will magically appear in front of me and release from my pitiful life.

It’s just perfect! Perfect!   

Let’s see what their requirements are. “Candidate must be discreet, detail oriented, and good at English. House keeper is responsible for teaching English 3 days per week as well.” Perfect, it’s just perfect for me. English is my mother language. This job is obviously designated for me. I quickly dial the number on the notice.

A man promptly picks up my phone. After a quick greeting and general interview questions, he gives me the address to meet up. He asks me to come as soon as possible since he has to leave soon. I decide to take a cab and he drops me off in front of a nice house.

The house is about one fifth of the size of my castle but I guess it is a good size in Korea. I press the doorbell, a male voice asks me what is my business there, and I tell him I came to interview for housekeeping position.

The door is automatically opened to let me in.

There are red roses ad trees on both side of the stair way lead to the main door. I love it. The owner of this house must be a passionate kind of person to choose red rose for their garden. I love rose, but not red one, I prefer purple rose. That’s why my garden was full of purple roses but they require great maintenance.

A man greet me with a smile by the door, he probably the one that talked to me on the phone earlier.  I recognize his voice. He looks like a friendly guy.

“Annyeonghaseyo” – I greet, bow lightly toward him. I guess that’s how Korean greets.

“Annyeonghaseyo” – He invites me to sit down on the white comfy leather couch.

He pulls out a piece of paper. “Please sign here first.” – He says, giving me a pen.

“Why? We haven’t talked anything about the job yet.” – I say, irritated by the fact that he makes me signing something when I just sat down.

“This is confidentiality agreement to make sure that all the things you see in this house will never be leaked outside.” – He calmly explains.

I take a look at the agreement. I wonder what kind of person the owner is. That person must be either celebrity, important business person, or politician. Only those kinds of people are overly cautious about their private life. Oh well, I understand their situation. My father made all the house workers signed the same thing. I sign without hesitation.

“Thank you” – He politely say. – “What’s your name?” – He asked

“Cheon … I mean Song Ji Hyo”  -  I decide to take a different name just in case people may heard my name somewhere in the media before. My name is quite unique and it was mentioned often as my father is a respectful trillionaire.

“Nice to meet you! My name is Park Ji Soo. I’m the manager of the house owner” – He introduces

After a few questions, he asks me to wait here and he goes to get the house owner. Before he even steps in, a guy is already walking out. He is saying goodbye to his lady. They are touching and kissing.

 OMG! Gross!

 Even though I grew up in America, I hate public displace of affection.

“There is someone here to interview for the housekeeping job” – Park Ji Soo pulls that man away from the girl.

“Arrasso” – he said – “Goodbye honey, just let yourself out” – He kisses the girl on the cheek. She puts on her sulky act and doesn’t want to leave but that man ignores her and walks to me.

“Wow, such a hottie. How can a pretty girl like you want to be a housekeeper? You should be a celebrity” – He excitedly states.

Except the fact that he is insanely handsome, I think this guy has no common sense, how can he talk so bluntly like that about a girl when his girlfriend hasn’t even stepped out of the house yet.

She is angry, throws me a sharp gaze before leaving.

Whoa! So catty!

Anyway, I hate this guy already. He seems to be a player. I hate playboy the most.

“My name is Kim Jaejoong, you probably know who I am already right?” – He grins.

I look at him, so blank. I definitely don’t know who he is.

I shook my head.

“Are you serious? Are you even watching TV? Who doesn’t know Jaejoong of JYJ?” – He seems to get a little irritated by the fact that I don’t recognize him.

“Are you some kind of celebrity? I’m sorry I didn’t watch Korean entertainment often.” – I honestly ask.

“Yes, I am a very famous idol. Where are you come from?” – He frowns

“America” – I answer

“No wonder. But why a girl from America wants to apply for a housekeeping job? You don’t seem to be poor.” – He says, staring at me from head to toe.

Darn, I forgot to put on some poor clothes. The interview was such a rush so I didn’t have a chance to change my outfit. No wonder he got suspicious.

“I just want to try something new.” – That’s the only thing come to my mind.

He stares at me for a while and says “Fine, since you are such a hottie, you are hired.” – Ignoring the ridiculous reason that he just said, I’m jumping happily and thank him for giving me the opportunity.

“You can move in and start working tomorrow” – He says

“Move in? Am I a live in housekeeper?” – I open my eyes wide and ask.

“Of course, my schedule is quite spontaneous. I can come home at dawn or midnight and I need someone to be ready to cook for me anytime. Do you have a problem with that?” – He asks.

“No I guess not. “ – I answer. It’s not like I’m in love with my rooftop apartment anyway, living here doesn’t seem too bad.

“Great, then see you tomorrow then.” – He says, offers me a handshake.

“Perfect, see you tomorrow.” – I brightly answer, shaking his hand firmly.

I am excited for what to come.