Chapter 23 - Late dinner

Reversed Cinderella Story

“Are you hungry?” – He asks after we sat on the beach for about an hour.

My stomach answers before me. I am embarrassed from hearing my own inside making noise. There are times that I have no control over how my body reacts.

“It means yet then” – He grins, stands up first then offers his hand to pull me up. From below, as I look up at him, he is very handsome. His face still shines brightly under the dark sky. He smiles at me, gently as an angel just decended from heaven. And I unconsciously response him with a soft smile, give him my hand, let him pull me up. He holds my hand, firmly, his palm presses against my palm, his fingers curls around mine, tightly. He doesn’t let my hand go even when I already stand up. We walk to his car with his hand still on my hand. Why am I feeling so warm right now? Every single cell in my body is aware of the existence of his hand. It is only a hand holding but my heart keeps jumping. I feel the need to press my hand on my chest just in case my overexciting heart decides to jump out of my chest to meet the man that revived it from the dead.

He only releases my hand when I enter the car then quickly he takes my hand again as the car started likes he is afraid that I would run away if he lets his hand go. I kind of like this feeling. We are both quiet as he driving. Maybe both of us want to enjoy the voice in our hearts. It probably speaks louder than any words at this moment.

He stops at a food stand by the street. I always want to try one of those places. The smoke comes from the food trays are absolutely welcoming. I can’t wait to get my hand on those delicious snacks.

“What can I get for you? Omo, singer Jae Joong. What luck is it?” – The middle age lady greets us in surprise. Whoa! So he is famous with middle age women too. I thought only young teenagers like him.

He smiles politely in respond to that lady’s exciting welcome.

“And who is this lady? Isn’t you the one played maid in Jae Joong’s new drama?” – That lady turns to me and ask.

“N-ne” – I politely answer her. I am totally not aware that people know me. I only appear in a few scenes but it does feel nice to be recognized. I think I have changed a lot after moving to Korea. Before, I hate fame and public. I feel annoyed if anyone recognized me as the daughter of my father. I have nothing against being my father’s daughter. It was just that I don’t want be overshadowed by my wealthy father. I don’t want to be mentioned as the princess of the king.  I want people acknowledge me for who I am. It is probably the reason I enjoy being recognized here. No one knows I am the heiress of second biggest financial corporation in the world. They only know me as the new actress of a TV drama. They like me for my talent for who I am and I appreciate it very much.

“Wow such a pleasure. Can you two give me autographs?” – She quickly pulls out a pen and a white piece of paper.

Jae Joong signs it rapidly as a reflex. He does have a nice autograph. I bet he has to practice a lot.

“Can you give me one too?” – The lady asks me while I am still admiring his autograph.

“What? N-ne.” – I answer in surprise. I sign on the piece of paper but as a habit, the idiot me signs under the name Cheon Seong Im without realizing it.

“Why are you signing Cheon Seong Im?” – Jae Joong asks me in surprise.

I’m startled and quickly destroy the piece of paper. – “It’s … just practice.” – I stutter – “Can I have a different piece of paper?” – I quickly turn to the lady and ask, stopping Jae Joong from asking any further question.

“Of course.” – She happily gives me a different piece of paper. This time I am more aware and make sure to sign my name correctly as Song Ji Hyo. My autograph is not as fancy as his but I am happy with it for now. This is my first time anyway.

The lady happily receives the autographs from us - “Thank you very much. What do you want to eat?”

“What do you want?” – He asks me.

I am lost looking at those snacks. There is fish cake, beef intestine and spicy rice cake. They all looked so darn delicious. The smell alone already makes me drool – “Can I eat them all?” – I ask him, eyes naive.

He can’t hold his laugh looking at me – “Sure, whatever you want.”

I only wait for that and start pointing at all the food I want. The lady quickly put the snack in bowls for us.

“Ahhh” – He says, putting a hot stick of boiled fish cake in front of my mouth. I become an obedient child in front of food. I totally can’t wait any moment longer to taste that delicious piece of fish cake. Nicely, I open my mouth wide and let him feed me. I am in awe as the tasty piece of fishcake reaches my tongue.

“Wow it is so good.” – I happily say

“Is it?” – He smiles in amusement. Carefully, he blows the full spoon of hot soup then feed me – “Drink some soup too. It’s cold outside.”

I am seriously touched right now. How can the cold, rude, bully person being so nice to me right now? I pinch his cheek, trying to verify that he isn’t an imposter of my weirdo Jae Joong – “What did you do to Jae Joong?” – I ask with a serious face.

“What is wrong with you?” – He scowls and pushes my hand away.

Now I am sure that he is real Jae Joong. Still as rude and sensitive as ever, just a little sweeter, little more caring, and little … warmer.

“Aigoo … you two are so cute together. Are you dating?” – The lady excitedly asks

“Of course not.” – I quickly shake my head and I am sure my face turned beet red.

“You don’t have to lie to me. I will keep secret for you two. I know it is not easy for celebrities dating.” – She winks at us, understandingly.

We only can laugh it off. Weird enough, he doesn’t even bother to explain to her about our relationship. But what is our relationship anyway?  Friend? More than friend? Less than friend? I am not sure. Do friends hold each other hand the way we did earlier? I don’t think so. What is he to me and what I am to him? I don’t know but for now I don’t want to label our relationship. I enjoy what we have right now, a nameless, labelless, unidentifiable kind of relationship.

“You need to practice your autograph more.” – He says, distracting in the middle of my self-analysis

“I don’t plan to. I don’t think I am doing any more filming in the future anyway. People probably will forget me quickly.” – I say and it is my honest thought. It was fun and all being an actress but I don’t plan on taking it as a serious career. Eventually, I will have to come back to America and take over my father’s business.

Right! I have to come back to America eventually. My plan to come here in the first place was to find my prince. I found him and I lost him. I guess my plan completed. I should come back home. But then … the thought of leaving Korea, leaving the house that I have been living in and leaving … him. That thought somehow saddens me.

“Then what do you plan to do? Back to being my maid?” – He grins playfully.

I smirk – “Ya. Why should I be your maid again? I am better off being Junsu’s maid.”

He suddenly cups his fingers around my jaw, pulling my face closer to his – “You are not allowed being anyone’s maid but me. Understand?” – He says, breathy.

Darn, even his voice has the power to release the butterflies in my stomach. I am pretty sure those overexcited butterflies are having a party in there. To be honest, I never have such excitement like this when I dated Si Won. We had sweet memories and all but the feeling when I was with him is more quiet than excited. Si Won always made me feel safe and peace when I was with him but I never actually felt the rush in my entire body as I am with Jae Joong. I feel like every little thing Jae Joong does can turn my mind, my heart, and my entire body upside down. There is always an unexplainable excitement when I am with him. I really don’t understand what those feelings are. What is the name of it? I don’t know. I have never experienced that before. They are new kind of feelings, new kind of experience to me.

It takes me a moment to lock those crazy butterflies back in place – “I can work for whoever I want.” – I arrogantly answer.

I think there is really something wrong with me. Why do I always try to be arrogant in front of him? I was perfectly nice and meek in front of Si Won. But for some reason, when I was with Jae Joong, I always want to start a fight, always want to make him angry. He did nothing but being nice to me the last two days. But now, I am still trying to drive him crazy. Why am I doing that? Is it because I am trying to distract my heart from feeling flutter toward him? It is probably it. It is the only reason that can explain my weird behavior. I often say he is ill manner but I feel as I am not any better than him at all.

“Well, go ahead. If you work for him, I will stay at his place all day long. It means you have to work for 2 masters instead of one.” – He answers, devilishly.

Wow he really thinks of everything.

“Do you think Junsu will let you stay there?” – I challenge.

“You will be surprised by my consistent.” – He grins.

I am speechless. Darn his grin. Why is it has to be so breathtaking. I hate him. I hate his grin.

Or maybe … I like it.

I don’t know.