Chapter 31 - My pitiful prince

Reversed Cinderella Story

After the press conference, we become hot topic for a very long time. Some people support us, some still don’t. Now I have a lot of anti-fans. They still think that I am not suitable for Jae Joong but I don’t really care what they say because I am too happy in love. We have been dating for 6 months and things can’t get any better. Since we are publicized our relationship, we don’t have to avoid paparazzi and fans in public at all. Jae Joong often takes me out when he has time even though it is quite annoying when fans keep surrounding us but I start getting used to it.

Besides some anti-fans, there are sweet fans that support our relationship very strongly. They even worked very hard to bring us home the label of happiest celebrity couple in Korea. I do believe that we are the most happiest couple. Jae Joong changes a lot after us dating. He is still clumsy sometime in expressing his care to me but I think it is cute of him. He has been trying his very best to make me happy. I mostly stay at home. There are some drama projects that invited me but I don’t feel like doing any entertainment work. I only accept projects that involve Jae Joong. I played in one of JYJ’s MV to promote for their album. We also do some CF together. Besides that, I don’t do anything else. I want to dedicate my time to take care of my man and I think that is my happiness. Making sure he eats on time, massages for him when he is tired, talks to him when he is stress. Simple things like that, I have never experienced before. I feel as we are almost a married couple. It is long enough. I think it is time for him to meet my father. I bet my father will like Jae Joong very much. Today is our 6 months anniversary. I am planning to cook a fabulous dinner for us and I will tell him everything about me. 

I am getting ready and about to go to the market but the doorbell rings. I wonder who visit me this time of the day. I open the door and in shock as I see her.

“Hwang Jung Eum? What are you doing here?” – I know I should at least say hello first but I can’t control my surprise. She is definitely the least person that I want to meet. The last time I saw her was 6 months ago and I did hope that it was the last time I see her. She was the one that stole Si Won away from me. Of course I find no pleasant meeting her again here. How does she know where I live? And why does she come here for? To laugh on my face for letting her take my boyfriend away? It is kind of late for that. She should do that 6 months ago. Right now I am very happy with my Jae Joong and I bet she knows that too. A half of this world population probably knows about our relationship as it is every day front page news.

“Can I go inside first?” – She asks me.

I don’t even know if I should let her in or not. She is definitely a stranger and we have nothing to talk about. But somehow I feel worries and sadness in her eyes. I have a weak heart after all so I let her in.

“Sure but please make it quick. I have to go out soon.” – I am being arrogant. I should at least do that to the person that stole my boyfriend away. She won one; now I have to at least win one too. To take back a little pride that I lost that day.

We settle on the living room. I bring her and myself two cold glass of waters. I am still a decent host after all.

“What do you want to talk about?” – I ask her, trying to break the awkward silence between us.

She takes a deep breath, puts down the glass of water that she just took a small sip off. – “I want to talk to you about Si Won.”

Of course, what else can we talk about? Si Won is the only thing that we have in common actually used to have in common. Right now, he is the least person that I care about. I totally forget about him after that night. Well, I lied. I do think about him once in a while. I still can’t understand why he broke up with me when our relationship was in the most beautiful time. Even though he showed me his girlfriend that night and also crushed my heart, somehow I still can’t accept that. I feel as there is something more than that. I just can’t believe a man like him can be so cruel. Well, now I think about that, my head starts getting frustrated again.

“I don’t think there is anything about Si Won that I want to be mentioned any more.  We broke up and you had him. Just what more do you want?” – I know I am being rude but I just can’t hold my frustration at the moment. Looking at her only reminds me of that painful night, the night that I have been trying very hard to forget.

“There is thing that Si Won doesn’t want you to know but I think you should know.” – She softly says, sadness is in her voice.

My heart suddenly skips a beat. I feel something wrong. “What is it?” – I ask immediately.

“I and Si Won have never actually date.”

What the hell did she just say?

 Is she playing some kind of game to me right now? From a middle of nowhere, after 6 long quiet months, she suddenly appears in front of me and drops a very unexpected news.

“What do you mean?” – Of course I have to ask that. I seriously can’t understand what she just said. Si Won clearly introduced her as his girlfriend that night and she had no objection that night. Then why now? Why she comes and tells me that now?

“I am just a very good friend of him. The night before the KBS Award, he came and asked me to do him a favor, to be his girlfriend for that night, in front of you.”

“Are you kidding me? Why did he do that?” – Now my frustration reaches to the top of my head. I don’t even want to believe in what I just heard any more. Did they just play some kind of game on me that night?

“Because he loves you very much.”

Now she is ticking me of. What is the nonsense that she talking about? If he loved me that much, he should keep me by his side. Why did he bring a random girl in to break my heart?

I smirk at her – “Do you even hear what you just say? Does it even make any sense in your head? Why did he break my heart if he loved me very much?”

She is quiet for a quite. Her eyes are very sad. Now I feel bad. She takes another deep breath before telling me the news that I wish I never heard – “Because he was dying”

I drop the glass of water that I am holding on my hand. – “What …. What did you just say?” – I stutter. My whole body is shaking from hearing the news. There is no way that it is true. She probably just plays some kind of game to me. There is no way that Si Won is dying. He is a very strong and healthy person. She is lying, definitely lying.

  “He went for a general checkup the night before KBS Awards. The doctor found down that he was in the last stage of cancer and only could live for 6 months. That news shocked him greatly but the first person he thought of was you. He didn’t want you to know that he had cancer. He didn’t want you to see him on his weak days. He wanted his image in you forever remain as a strong reliable man. And most of all, he didn’t want to see you get hurt when he passed away. So he asked me to pretend to be his girlfriend.” – She pauses for a moment as tears start choking . And tears are also choking my throat. I can’t even breathe hearing what she is saying. -  “That silly guy thought that it would be easier for you to hate him and think of him as a cheater than witnessing him dying. He made me promise that I never can tell you about this but I can’t. He has been hospitalized the last 6 months. I visit him very often but every time I come, he always asks me to bring newspaper and magazine about you. He smiles every time he sees you on the news with Jae Joong. I asked him why was he so happy seeing the woman he loved with another man. He told me that because as long as you are happy, he is happy. He is sincerely glad that Jae Joong can make you happy. I think he diverse to see you at least one last time before he …” – She can’t complete her sentence. That word is definitely very hard to say.

My heart drops on the floor as she’s done talking. The tears keep running out of my eyes uncontrollable. It is totally him, totally the Si Won, the prince that I knew. Why is he so stupid? Why does he always have to think for me first? That man, on his dead bed, why does he still think about me?

And me? How can I be so stupid, so blinded to believe in the fact that he ever betrayed me? How dare I ever think badly about him? I should know him better. I should be more consistent and stay by his side. But I didn’t. I gave up on him too easily. I fell to the trap too easily. I was so stupid. No ,I can’t let it be like that. I have to see him. I have to talk to him before too late. She said 6 months ago, so it means that he doesn’t have a lot of time left.

“Where is he right now? Where is he?” – I scream in tears. I know I shouldn’t get mad at her but I am very mad at myself right now that I can’t control my temper any more.

“Seoul General Hospital.”

“Take me there right now. Please.” – I beg her.

She takes a deep break, looking at me. I bet I look very pathetic right now. – “Let’s go.” – She says.

I jump inside her car. She drives me there. I keep rushing her to drive faster and faster even though I know we are way over speed limit. I just … I just can’t wait to see him … my pitiful prince …

A/N : This chapter is dedicated to my reader Meownrimo. Thank you for inspiring my story with your sad love story. I hope things are getting better to you now.

Love