Losing.

It's Never Easy.

SMTown LA 2012 Ending Stage

Now it’s the time for the infamous SMTown bow.  “Wait hold up. Why are we standing side by side?”  Kai was flustered.

Why did it end up like this?”  Krystal wondered while still waving to the fans.

First attempt to bow. “But we need to hold hands.”  Both thought. Second attempt, “Ah Kai, we need to hold hands right?” Then Kai nodded awkwardly. As soon as their hands touched, Kai deemed Krystal’s hands as being cold as her ice princess persona but his warmth made Krystal felt it was perfect.

The moment was too familiar.

Soojung remembered her fave Sarah Haze song as she looked into Kai. It’s as if the lyrics fit that moment. It was on point. It was surreal.

Boy take my hand, let’s disappear

Too many city lights, ‘round here

Follow my heart, into the trees under the stars.

We can lose ourselves in the midnight.

We can find our way in the sunrise.

Look in my eyes;

You’ve got the moon.

I’ve got the shine.

It was indeed way too familiar.

---

Kai, Krystal, and Seulgi were very close as trainees. They would call themselves “94 line”, [which they would wanted for Sehun & Wendy to join if they trained earlier.] Being too busy with schedules and the difference in their debut periods made them distant to each other.

December 2008

In a nearby store, Kai, Seulgi & Krystal were munching on their snacks during their break time.

 “It was too tiring ei. Good thing it’s our cheat day!” Seulgi said while eating both chips and ice cream in a cutesy way. She looks like a cute bear, really, and an attractive one too. “ Yeah right cheat day. Eating anything we want during break times but having harsh practice sessions. WOW. Those dance routines are making me sick but somehow addicting too. Right Soojung-ah?” Kai remarked.

“Yah, but good for you both coz’ you got godlike stamina. I easily feel exhausted due to this boring condition of mine.” Kai placed his hand over Soojung’s forehead. “You sure you’re fine?” Seulgi pointed out with concern. Krystal nodded as she liked the fact that both of her bestfriends always look after her. As young as they are, they suffered so much and went through this journey together. They’re sad though as they knew the possibility of them not being in the same group. Their unity inspired them to do best and be the best in every aspect of their training.

“Wait, I remembered. Eomma’s gonna meet me like...10 mins. from now?!?! She’s giving me stuff so I gotta go. 20 mins. more for break time. Annyeong~” Seulgi rushed while winking at Kai. “I thought you’re gonna meet her tomo—…You are dead. Tsk.”

“Haha. Jongin-ah. You didn’t tell me. Seulgi likes you ei? I know we are all close but her crushing on you is not that impossible.”  Krystal teased with a hint of bitterness. She liked Kai but not that much. Krystal likes everything about him but they were too young and too focused on their careers. Kids like them have responsibilities like the grown-ups. Having a crush was way out of context.

On the other hand, Kai knew what that “Seulgi wink” meant. Seulgi knew all along that Kai had been crushing on Krystal ever since who knows when. She left them on purpose as Seulgi’s into shipping them coz’ she finds them both cute and compatible.  

As they were finishing their snacks, Krystal suddenly looked pale. Kai was worried as he knew this would be another illness-related episode of Krystal. “Sure you’re fine? We can go to the clinic if you want. This month’s training was hell. I thought you’ll ask for a leave these last days.” Krystal replied, “You know I can’t. I wanted this badly. I don’t want to disappoint my parents as I left Cali for this and my sis is here so everything’s gonna be fine.” She replied with her angelic smile but with an obvious “extremely fatigued look”.  

Unknowingly, Kai’s innate gentleness made him held Krystal’s hands. He held onto them carefully which shocked him not because of the abrupt act but because her hands were too cold.  Krystal didn’t mind. She was worn out and she felt she needed it.  Time stood still, it was the first time they held hands like that. It was not their usual holding of hands during playing, dancing or practicing. It was out of ordinary, special. His warm hands felt like an embrace. She was comforted. It was like an escape to reality, an unforgettable one.

---

As they bowed, with their hands still holding onto each other; it reminded them that the infatuation they felt for each other was way in the past. At this time, for the longest period they realized it was love. They were yearning for each other. Krystal longed for Kai’s hands as much as how he missed her eyes. They loved each other’s aura, presence, imperfections and character. They truly missed each other.

 “Those comforting hands…”

“That look…”

“I’ve fought enough against my feelings.”

“I think, I am…Losing.”

 

Credits for gifs: Tumblr Blogs of Hhhasstal-fx and junmyeon 

Image: Gaze exo