Chapter 12: Meeting again

If I Had a Lover

Minhyuk smiling looking at his doctor’s team,

He is intern here..he’ll help me to check your condition every week.., he is Dr. Yook,” Sungjae’s mentor introduce him to Minhyuk, Sungjae bow to Minhyuk,

Hello, I’m Yook Sungjae, nice to meet you..”

Nice to meet you too, Yook Sungjae. It has been a while, right?,” he said.

You know him?,” the doctor asked.

Yes, he is my junior from high school, I don’t know that he’ll be doctor here..” he replied, Sungjae just smile to him.

Then it’s better..because you know him..,” said the doctor.

I don’t know, it’s better or worse..” his replied make the doctor confused,

Why are you thinking like that?,” Sungjae asked while take a step closer to his patient, “we will begin to check your foot condition, what I saw from the chart..it’s really serious. Why were you still participated in matches with this foot..,” he sit in front of Minhyuk.

He is really good doctor, you don’t have to worry..,” not long after that, the doctor’s phone rang, “I’ll meet another patient..Dr. Yook will check your condition..” he leave the room after pick up the call.

So, how long we haven’t meet?,” Minhyuk asked while Sungjae prepare the bed for him, “we had to be enemy back then, but I hope you won’t do anything to make my condition worse..”

I’m a doctor, why I make my patient’s condition worse?, it’s not my job. Please lay down here..I’ll start medical examination..,” Sungjae said, Minhyuk walk to the bed while smiling to Sungjae,

I meet Sooyoung while ago, what was she doing here?,” he asked.

Why you asked about it?, is that even your business?,” Sungjae asked him back.

That’s not it..do you know about it?,” he asked once again.

Of course I know, she is my girlfriend..I know anything about her..,” he said while grining.

Girlfriend?,” he look surprised knowing about it.

Is that shocking for you?, you know that I like her since our school days..” he talking while checking Minhyuk’s foot, “I must pay for your kindness..” it’s make him more confused, “you were willingly to leave her like that..so I come to her not long after you leave her..”

Kindness?, you saw that as my kindness?,” he asked.

Should we stop talking about it?, that’s not a talk between doctor and his patient, right?,” he said while smiling to him, and continue to check his foot.

So, how long it has been?, ” he asked again but Sungjae just responded it with smile, “you smile too much, Yook Sungjae,” he said angryly.

Is that obvious?, I just want to show my happiness..because I have someone I love next to me,” he said, it’s look like he teased Minhyuk, “we want to know the detail..so, we’ll go to X-ray room..,” Sungjae let his patient leave the room first then he follow him. On their way to X-ray room, they meet someone who they know from long time ago,

Is she Yerin?,” Minhyuk asked, “she worked here?,” asked again, “don’t you feel uncomfortable working with your ex girlfriend?,” and asked again.

Does she wearing white gown like me?, or does she wearing nurse’s uniform?, not, right?. She come here as patient, like you,” Sungjae said while walking toward Yerin, Yerin show him and smile to him, “what are you doing here?,” he asked after bowed.

I came to looking for someone, one of patients here is my client’s witness, so I must meet him..” she said, she is a lawyer now, her family has a big law firm, she is one of the lawyers there. Then she saw someone who make her grining, “the fate turn out like this..” then sighing while looking at Sungjae.

Are both of you this close before?,” he suddenly asked.

We were in relationship before..is that strange looking at us like this?,” Yerin asked, “because we breaked up in good way, we still maintain our relationship, from a lover to a friend..” she answer his curiosity.

Then..I’ll leave first..” Sungjae said, “let’s go, Mr. Minhyuk..”

I want to talk with her..just for minutes,” he said then grab her hand.

You come here knowing that your ex-boyfriend working here?, you still love him?.”

I know from the start that he is working here..and I come here today, not because I want to see him..should I say it’s not the main reason I come here?. I came here to looking for someone that have related with my client, but I get bonus, I saw Sungjae and now talking to you..You asked if I still love him, yes, I still love him, but just that..I don’t have feeling to break their beautifull relationship, it’s almost five years, but they still walking next to each other happily...I must go back now..then, do your thing, I’ll do my things..I hope we won’t meet like this again..” she said then leave him.

Five years?, then they start dating not long after I break up with her?,” he looking at Sungjae who si waiting for him.

Should we go now?,” Sungjae asked while walking toward his patient.

*

Sooyoung in Sunghwan car, change to new dress that Sunghwan brought for her,

Without take bath, you changed your dress like that..?, it’s dirty, you know..”Sunghwan said.

I wash my face at hospital just now, while waiting for your arrival,” then back to her seat, next to Sunghwan, “I’ll take a bath after this meeting..it’s already nine o’clock, if I don’t go there in twenty minutes, I’ll died on that witch hand..” she said while putting make up.

Aigoo..,” Sunghwan said then sighed.

Yah..do you still avoid Ilhoon?,” Sooyoung asked while looking at the small mirror she brought.

Why suddenly asked about that?.”

You said to me that you won’t enter that hospital, is it because Ilhoon?, really?,” she asked again. After that blind date incident that arranged by Sungjae, Sunghwan avoid Ilhoon because of embarrassment.

And, that thing happen because of your beloved boyfriend..he make me in awkward position when I meet Ilhoon..” she said, “even when I say his name is still awkward for me.”

Yah, it’s already five years anywhy, why you still hold grudge to him, and why you still feel embarrassed everytime you meet him. Why you don’t try to meet him once again..,” she advice.

Should I stop this car and let you walk to you company?,” said Sunghwan.

Why are you angry?. It’s look like , embarrassement isn’t the only reason for you to avoid him..,” she teased Sunghwan, “there is another reasin, right?,” she asked, Sunghwan glaring to her, “aii..that’s not scary at all..you said to me back then when I get my second conffesion from my boyfriend, ‘don’t ever hide your true feeling, if you like him just say it, don’t avoid it.’ you still remember, right?, it’s five years ago..then that blind date happen a day after you said that to me..”

Yah..stop it..” Sunghwan really annoyed.

Should we get drink and I’ll lt you reveal your feeling, I’ll record it for you..” she still continue to friend, “it’s turn out better, look what happen to me and Sungjae,” she said.

I won’t drink with you,” she said then stop her car, “get lost now..” she said, she still annoyed with all Sooyoung’s tease.

Yah..okay, sorry if it annoyed you, ah..I put my dress in your car first, I’ll take it after work, okay..thank you,” she said then she leave the car. Sooyoung working as editor in one of magazine in Seoul. It’s her third years. Her phone rang,

Yah, where are you?, the witch already in parking lot,” her team mate called her.

In three minutes, I’ll arrive,” she said then end the call, she runs. When she arrive at editor’s room, she look tired,

Yah..why are you so late?,” one of her team mate asked.

Sorry..” she said then put her bag on her table, “so, who is the one who drive me home last night?,” she asked to her team mate, “why did I end up in hospital..?,” when she asked that all of her team mate also shocked,

You were sleep in hospital?.”

They said that..I involved in an accident, just small accident..but I fainted last night so they bought me to hospital..” one of the team rookie raise his hand,

I’m the one who brought you home, when I leave you in taxi to go back to the meat house to get my phone, you already gone..I asked the driver, and he said that he didn’t know anything about it,” he tried to explained to Sooyoung, “I tried to call you but no one pick up my call..I tried to looking for you too.., I’m so sorry,” after he said that there is someone who claps her/his hands..everyone looking at the one who claped her/his hand, and it’s turn out to be their chief editor,

Did Sooyoung come late today?,” she asked, “ah..Sooyoung-ssi, forgive him, he had not do anything wrong, Park Sooyoung-ssi..” she said while walking to her room, “we’ll have meeting in 10 minutes..” then go to her room, Sooyoung look so awkward there..is it a good day for her?, although she was late, and the chief know it..but she look different from before, did something good happen to her before?.

What’s wrong with her?,” her team mate asked to Sooyoung.

I don’t know, maybe something good happen to her today..” Sooyoung replied while give her something, “it’s for our presentation for today meeting.., maknae..did you already prepared for the meeting?,” she asked to the maknae of the team.

Yes..” he answered while bringing some bottles to the meeting room, Sooyoung come to help him,

Sorry, if my drinking habit really annoyed you last night..,” she said while took the bottles and put it on the table..

It’s okay...just don’t do it again next time..” suddenly he sound like a man who is older than her.

Why your tone seem different from before?,” she asked because she feel that his voice seem different.

Why?,” he asked with informal language to her, “is my voice tone make you feel fluttered,” he asked.

What?, fluttered?. Yah..little child, don’t dare to say those words to me again, okay?,” she said while rubbing his back, after said that she leave him.

Before the chief editor enter meeting room, all of editor team enter the room first, not long after that, the chief editor enter the room with big smile on her face. Something good happen to her, for real...that smile never leave her face since she arrived..

Should we start now?,” she said after sit. They disscused the next month magazine, “after doing sport photoshoot with some models..the president want us to interview the real athlete..and do photoshoot.., he want we’ll do interview with the hottest athlete. So, is there an idea for that?,”she asked to the team. Actually, the team already prepare something, they even made power point to explain to the chief, but she already come with that idea..without asking them, if they agree or not..suddenly Sooyoung raise her hand, make her team mate shocked,

Yah..what are you going to do?,” she asked.

She asked our idea,” Sooyoung answered, ”chief-nim, are you not asking about our own idea?, you want us to make an idea for that special page, but suddenly you come up with an idea without asking us if we agree or not..” she speak up about her concern, she doesn’t realized that the chief editor face is not that good after heard what she said,

What are you saying Park Sooyoung-ssi?,” she asked back to her. Sooyoung team mate pull her body, force her to sit back,

I’m sorry if I make you angry..but you really said that to us..we already make it, you told us to come to the meeting, but we couldn’t said our idea..” Sooyoung adding her chief editor’s anger.

Sorry, if it’s make you feel that I’m not appreciate your idea, but..that’s not my idea..the president of this company request to me to fill that special page with that theme..the hottest athlete..I still asking your idea about who is the one who fill that spot..that’s mean I’m still considering you all as my team..right?,” Sooyoung just silently hearing all of her explanation, “don’t ruin my mood, if my mood became bad, you’ll be the one who feel the consequence..,” she tried to calm, Sooyoung back to her seat, “so, who is the hottest athlete this year?,” she asked again, the maknae of the team raise his hand,

These days, he is really popular around football fans. Not just football fans..almost all of adults, girls or boys know him, he is an athlete star..starring in so many addvertisements. Lee Minhyuk athlete-nim,” after heard that, Sooyoung who drinking her water almost choked,

Ah..Lee Minhyuk-ssi?, I’m fan of him,” the chief editor said, “are the other agree with his idea?, he is really the hottest athlete now..” she said, not long after that, the team member raise their hand one by one, they agree to maknae’s idea, only Sooyoung who doesn’t raised her hand, “so, are you disagree, Sooyoung-ssi?,” Sooyoung noding, “but, we already have the answer, you are the only one who didn’t vote..so, we’ll do photoshoot with Lee Minhyuk-ssi for the specail page for next month edition..” she drink her water, “then, Johyun-ssi, you contact his manager..and let him know about the detail..,”then end the meeting like that.

What’s wrong with you, she already in good mood today, you almost changed her mood just now..” Sooyoung didn’t response her words, “yah..Park Sooyoung,” Johyun call her out loud.

Ah..mian..it’s nothing,” and leave her like that, “ah..what kind of fate is this?, we just meet in hospital, and now, he’ll became one of our model in the next month edition..I really don’t want to meet him,” suddenly someone tapping her back, “why?,” she asked.

You should come with me to persuade him to do interview and photoshoot with us,” Johyun said.

Why it has to be me?,” Sooyoung look disagree with her.

Because you are a good talker..” she gave her the reason.

You know that I disagreed that idea, right?. I’ll do it the interview, if you want to persuade him, just go with that maknae, he’s really good talker too..,” she said.

*

Sunghwan looking at stressed Sooyoung who put her head on the table, and sometime she pulls her hair,

Just go staright, he won’t ask you back to him, right?,” she said.

It’s just so uncomfortable to work with him after break up like that..”

Why you bring me here?,” she asked.

Sungjae said he’ll treat you..he want to buy me something for lunch, and he told me to asked you out too..”

He treat me because of his girlfriend..,” not long after that, someone come, Sooyoung wave her hand and look grining after saw someone who come with her boyfriend, “what’s wrong?,” Sunghwan asked then turn her head, she tried to run but Sooyoung grab her hand,

Just sit and enjoy your lunch,” she look angry, she thought that this is her plan with her boyfriend, “I don’t know that he’ll asked Ilhoon to come too.., helloo..” she greet her after calmed Sunghwan.

Are both of you waiting too long?,” Sungjae asked after sit, “why didn’t order first then?.”

I already order it, but I don’t know that Ilhoon will come..I’ll order again then,” then Sooyoung leave the table, Sungjae grining looking at the two people who look awkward,

Yah..let’s be comfortable around each other..what kind of atmospher is it?, I hate it,” Sungjae said.

Me too,” Ilhoon suddenly said something.

Then, make her comfortable..” Sungjae said to Ilhoon.

Did you already apologize to her?,” Ilhoon asked, “if you didn’t then apologize to her first, it’ll make her more comfortable.”

I already said sorry to her thousand time, since 5 years ago..but she’s still like that until now..you want me to do something to you, Sunghwan-ah?,” Sungjae asked.

Then she really hate you,” Ilhoon turns his head to face Sunghwan, “let’s forget about what happen 5 years ago, don’t avoid me like that..it’ll make us uncomfortable if we meet each other, right?. We were friend, and now..we are still friend, so I hope you start to treat me like your other frinds..” he said then drink his water, Sunghwan trying to relax herself after heard that, make Ilhoon smile, “like that..like the Sunghwan who I know before.” Suddenly her checks blushing,

I think your words successed make her heart fluttered..look at her face,” Sungjae’s words make Sunghwan glare to him, “although you glared to me like that, your pinky face still visible,” Sungjae again.

Stop it, Sungjae-yah..” Ilhoon asked him to stop teased Sunghwan.

While Sungjae tease Sunghwan, Sooyoung starring at somone who sit far from their table, “why?, I can eat here?. It’s Sungjae’s favorite restaurant, and it’s became my favourite too..” she said.

It’s really make me uncomfortable to meet you like this..” Sooyoung said.

Although me and Sungjae still be friend, I hope you won’t think that I ‘ll take Sungjae from you, I’m not that bad..I’m lawyer..and I know that I can’t take what belong to other people..”then eat her food again.

I know about it, but don’t know why it’s make me worried if we coincidiently meeting like this too often..” Sooyoung said.

We get to changed our position then..Back then I’m the one who always worried if my boyfriend meet you too often..,” Sooyoung about to leave her, “I think..Minhyuk is his patient now..I meet him today at hospital.., then he’ll became your magazine model for next month edition. Surely, fate playing with us, right?,” she look teased the angry Sooyoung.

If it’s my fate, I’ll face it then..with a hope that anything won't change,” she said then really leave her, “I’ll play along then..it’s not like I have another choise. I believe there is no change between me and my boyfriend while I’m playing along with this fate..” she said while looking at Sungjae and sigh..