Chapter 5: one chance

If I Had a Lover

Sungjae selected as representation from first grade to take part at Math Competition next month, now he really busy to prepare for the competition. Sooyoung who know her friend well,

“It’s lunch break, eat this first..if you study like that, your eyes will popped out,” she gave Sungjae bread and milk, when she stand up, Sungjae pull her hand,

“Just stay here, with me...” he said.

“Then, what will I do here while you are studying?, just stay quiet. I can’t..” she refused. “Yah..eventhough you go to your class, who are you going to play with?, you don’t have close friend here, beside me..Just talk to me, I’ll response it..”

“Then I can request something, right?, put that book and talk to me,” Sungjae glaring to her, “then I’ll go to class..” she try to release her hand from him, but he just grab it tightly. Someone look at that scene from a far..and look little bit angry,

“You said that..you’ll get her..it’s already this long, it’s not like you if you just step back because of that boy..” someone who stand next to him said something to encourage him. “Right?, I won’t step back.” and then grining.

After school, Sungjae who still busy studying in Library, Sooyoung asked him if he want anything, “Just stay here..” he answered.

“Yah..I want to go home..I have something to do..just study hard, uri Sungjae,” she rubed his head..”this my umbrella, take it..I’ll leave first..” she said, then Sungjae grab her hand,

“I’ll accompany you until school gate..” he said and stand up, Sooyoung look at him weirdly,

“Yah..I’m not a child anymore..don’t treat me like that..” but Sungjae still want to accompany her, “okay, just..release my hand..” he released her hand and then she smiles to him. They walking together while talking, someone saw them from school yard, an athlet who just take a rest after practicing. “Be carefull on your way, let’s meet at park tonight..” Sungjae said when she about to leave him, Sooyoung look around, although she is not really affraid with his fangirl now, but..maybe..some of them really do crazy thing after heard those words from Sungjae.. “okay,” she repiled when she knows that the situation is safe.

Sungjae back to library, on his way back, someone waiting for him in front of the library, “Let’s have a talk,” he said..still in his football shirt. “What kind of talk, sunbaenim?,” Sungjae asked to him.

“Two days ago, why you did that?,” he stands in front of Sungjae.

“Don’t you know?, I won’t said anything about the reason. As man you should know about that...you displayed it with words..and I displayed it with an action. ” Sungaje leave him.

Minhyuk released that he must be have another feeling for Sooyoung, not as a friend.. *

Sungjae getting busy to prepare for math competition, and Sooyoung won’t distrub him. They meet when Sungjae can, so Minhyuk get that chance to get closer to her, with his own power, “I’ll make move after this,” he said to his friend while look at Sooyoung who sit by herself in school garden, “and show him that..action without words is useless..” and then grining. After school Sooyoung go straight to school gate, even she didn’t get friends until now, but the situation get better, day by day. There isn’t any school girls who talk bad about her or harm her, for her it’s more than enough. She sends messege for Sungjae while waiting for bus..

I’ll leave first..Fighting Sungjae-yahh..!!

Until bus come, there isn’t reply from him, it’s make her little bit dissapointed. She sit on the back row, when she put her headphone, someone sit next to her,

“How have you been, sunbaenim?,” she asked, lately she didn’t meet him, “you must be busy too..” she said.

“Why?do you miss me?,” he asked, makes Sooyoung taken back, “call me oppa..” and then he smiles to her, she smile back.

“There isn’t practice today, sunbaenim?ahh..oppa?,” she asked.

“We had practiced in early morning today, so Mr. Coach want us to take a rest. Ah, come to our match this week?, you have time , right?,” He invited her to watch his football match, “it’s my last performence as high school athlete, this weekend is the final match. I hope you’ll come,” he wish that she will come to his last competition. “Why you want me to came?,” she asked, because she feel that she is not even his close friend..

“I think..I clearly said to you that time..when we had conversation in front of convenient store, should I say it again?,” he asked, Sooyoung try to remember their conversation about two weeks ago..., “I guess you already forget about it..I’ll say it once again, so listen to me..” he put his hands on her cheecks and said, “because I like you..” and then he stand up, smile to her, she feel that her face is burning...

“What was that?,” she faning herself with her hand, “make me awkward,” she look around and sigh..”fortunately there aren’t many person in this bus..what’s wrong with him..?,” she look at her phone, and still there isn’t reply from Sungjae, “and what’s wrong with him..is he that busy..till can’t reply my messege..” and put her phone in her bag again.

*

Sooyoung come to Sungjae’s house after recieved messege from his mom that she cooked so much food and she wants Sooyoung to come, “Sungjae still didn’t go home?,” she asked while eating.

“Like you didn’t know him, if he determain on something..he will focus on that..he’ll go home late..he messeged me,” his mom replied.

“Eat a lot Sooyoung-ah, and bring some for your father,” said his father.

“Ah...thank you so much, this family always gave us a lot of food..but we couldn’t give as much as this family give to us..” Sungjae’s family always like that, always call her or her dad when there are so much food in their house. “This family?, we are your family too, ” his mother said. Sooyoung just smile to them, but she still thinking about Sungjae and..her sunbae, Minhyuk..while looking at Sungjae’s bedroom.

She go home after help Sungjae’s mother, she meet Sungjae on her way home, he look tired, “Sungjae-yah..” she called him, he just smile to her..”are the teachers asked you to study until this late?,” she asked.

“I’m really tired right now..”

“I know that you want to focus on this, but don’t forget about your health..you look crazy person at this rate,” she start nagging.

“I just said that I tired, I want to take a rest..don’t nag at me,” he said and walk passed her, she doen’t know..but she feel angry because of what he did. In her house, after put organize the food for her father, she lay down on her bed..still feel angry at Sungjae’s words..

“Ah..that nerdy...” and she take her favorite novel, when she opens the novel, a paper fall on her bed, she takes it and read..her list if she have a lover..suddenly Minhyuk’s words popped out in her mind, “Ahhh...those weird people..” she throwed the paper. The next morning, when she opens her locker, a red envelope is there, she looks around, “who puts this envelope?,” she open the envelope and..in there, there are a memo an a ticket..high school football competition this weekend, she reads the memo..

Sooyoung-ah..I prepare this ticket for you, I hope you come and watch my last match.. Minhyuk..

“Ahh..it’s such a burden,” she puts back the envelope in her locker and goes to her class. On her way to her class, she meet Sungjae walking with one of senior in this school, of course a smart senior, a girl , “Morning..Sooyoung-ah. Fighting for today,” he greeted Sooyoung who is frozen looking at her close friend, he just passed, Sooyoung look at his back, the senior put her hand on his shoulder,

“They look too close..” one of her class friend appear out of now where, “that sunbaenim was the one who said to you that she want your help to get closer to Sungjae, right?,” she asked, Sooyoung tried to remember the senior’s face, “Maybe..I don’t remember it,” and leave her.

“You are not the one who help her to get closer to Sungjae?,” she asked when Sooyoung sit on her chair.

“I think, they get closer because of math competition preparation..that sunbae-nim get choosed to join this school team at that competition too..like Sungjae..” Sooyoung replied her question, “so can’t you not ask me about that again?,” that friend smile bitterly and return to her table. When she put her head on the table, her phone rang, a messege from Sungjae..

I’ll get late today..so you can go home first..

She puts her head on the table again, and think about the ticket that Minhyuk gave to her, “Should I came?, I don’t have anything to do this weekend,” she stand up and goes to her locker to take the envelope, “it’s not like I hate football, okay..I’ll come..” and back to her class.

When school over, Sooyoung waiting for the bus in bus stop, Minhyuk look at her from a far and smile when he saw she take ticket that he gave to her. When the bus come, Sooyoung get in, Minhyuk follow her, today..there is no seat, so Sooyoung stand, her hands still bring that ticket, that ticket is her focus from the bus stop till now..Minhyuk look at her, he looks worried that Sooyoung will fall if she doesn’t grab anything. He walk closer to her and take her hand ,

“Do you want to fall here?, grab something,” Sooyoung look shocked, “I know that you are happy, but..don’t look at the ticket like that,” he smile to Sooyoung and stand next to her. Sooyoung feel hot..her face became red..she touch her cheek and said in soft voice, what kind of situation is this?, she put the ticket in her pocket and try to avoid him. “Give me your answer tomorrow, ” and then grab her hand and pull her body, “sit here.” He still there, stand next to her, and she still feel awkward with this situation, so she choosed to keep silent, “I'll leave first, be carefull on your way home.” Sooyoung nooded, when he get down from the bus, Sooyoung look at the bus stop,

“Why he get down here?, he never get down in this bus stop before..” Sooyoung look at him who busy calling someone, he still waiting in the bus stop, “weird boy.”

*

Sooyoung POV:

Today, I’m really sleepy. Don’t know why, everytime a teacher start the lesson, I feel heavy to open my eyes. So, when the lunch break come, I come here for sleep. I choosed the corner of this big room...but when I’m about to close my eyes, someone knocking my head,

“Yah..Park Sooyoung, if you want to sleep, just sleep in your class..not here,” that voice sound familiar, and lately I didn’t hear that voice because the owner get busy and forget about me,

“I can’t sleep at class, my classmate really loud..,” I replied to him without open my eyes.

“Looking for another place, this palce is not hotel..or bedroom.”

“Who said that this place is hotel or bedroom?, just do what you want to do, don’t distrub me, nerdy.” After heard me said that, he hits me on head once again, then I open my eyes glaring at him, “If you know that this place not hotel or bedroom, don’t sleep here.” A girl voice..ah that sunbaenim..

“What is this, Yook Sungjae?. You got a new friend?..ah, it’s not friend, she’s one year older than us.” I stand up, because of these persons I can’t sleep, and when I can’t sleep, I can easily get angry..”Yerin sunbaenim..,” I look at her nametag she look angry, “if you want to study..just study, don’t pay attention to me..I won’t distrub nerdies who want to study here..” some of students want us to quiet, “ah..seriouslly..,” I’m glaring at them, “then..I’ll leave..just study hard..work hard to win this competition,” when I’m about to leave, Sungjae call me, “and you..what you said that day that you did this and that so I won’t leave you..but now, as you see, who left whom?, aigoo.” And then I leave them with anger full in my head and my heart. Because of them I can’t sleep...to released my anger, I went to canteen to buy something, there I meet Minhyuk sunbaenim who gather with his football team friends. I just bow to them and left canteen, I eat the cookies that I bought and then listen to music..I feel someone touch my shoulder,

“Eat this,” he said when I turn my head, “you didn’t eat your lunch, at least eat this,” he gave me cup ramen and a bottle of water, I take those and said thank you to him, ”so, what’s your answer?”, he asked about that..ah, I must give him the answer today, “Hmm...okay I’ll come..” I replied to him..at least I show my gratitude to him..he comfort me in my mother wedding day, and today he gave me a cup ramen, “I’ll come to watch the final, your last match..” then he smile to me, “because I want to show you my gratitude towards you, oppa..” when he heard oppa, he smile to me.

“If my team win, you must grant me something..” he asked for another request, I didn’t give him my answer, “if you keep silent, I'll consider it as ‘yes’,” then he leave me who still confused.

*

Football match's day...

Sungjae ask Sooyoung if she want to watch movie with him, but she said that she already had plan today, so she couldn’t watch movie with him. He said that, it’s his appologize for make her angry,

“You must do something else then to make me better,” Sooyoung said to him.

Now, Sooyoung already in stadium to watch the football match..because today it’s the final, the stadium look full of people..and then two persons sit next to her, she asked,

“Are you Minhyuk’s friend?,” Sooyoung turn her head and then look surprised when she know that the one who asked her just now is Minhyuk’s mother, she bow to him..”ohh..you are that girl right?, Minhyuk’s hobae..” Sooyoung noded to her as her reply.

“Wah, his taste not that bad,” he is like Minhyuk’s older brother, Sooyoung look confused and nervous. “Minhyuk want us to talk a lot to you, so you will comfortable around us,” his mother said, Sooyoung smile to her, “what’s your name?.” “Sooyoung..My name is Sooyoung..” she answered. Before the match start, they talk a lot, when the match start, they cheered for Minhyuk.

"Wah..my brother really a good player.." praised his brother, and then he look at Sooyoung, "is he really populer at school?," he asked and Sooyoung said that Minhyuk really populer in school especially amidst his hobae, "you must be one of his fangirl who succesed made his heart flutter then, " Sooyoung just smile awkwardly.

"He told me a lot about you...the pinky cheek girl." said his mother.

The match finished and Minhyuk’s team won,

“Then, I’ll go home first..” Sooyoung said to Minhyuk’s mother and brother while bowing.

“Let’s meet Minhyuk first, congratulate him for the winning,” his mother want her to come with her to players room. Sooyoung didn’t give the answer, but his mother just pull her to the players room, Minhyuk looks surprised when he saw them, “did you talked a lot with her?,” he asked to his mother while hug her, his mother just rubbing his back, Sooyoung just smiling while looking at them.

“Congratulation on your winning on your last high school match,” his brother congratulate him.

“Thank you, hyung..” he huged his hyung, “Don’t you want to say something to me?,” he said while looking at Sooyoung,

“Congratulation on your team winning, sunbaenim,” she said. “Sunbaenim?, why do you called him sunbaenim?,” his brother asked to Sooyoung.

“I want her to call me oppa, but I think she still couldn’t naturally say that,” Minhyuk answer it on Sooyoung’s behave. Sooyoung tell them that she must go home because there is something important, Minyuk escrotted her until in front of the stadiun,

“What’s that the important thing?, Sungjae?,” he asked Sooyoung, Sooyoung look confused.

“Why suddenly Sungjae?, I’ll leave first, congratulation on your winning..and convey my gratitude to your mother and brother, they really makes me comfortable.”

“Than..I’ll say my wish here...is it okay?,” he asked. “Ah..”

“You’ll grant it..as your promised.” What kind of promised did she made..she didn’t give him her answer, but he just considers her silent as ‘yes’,

“next week, we’ll have camping..I want you to join us,” after said that he rubed Sooyoung shoulder, “because there is something I want to say to you..so you must come.”

“If you want to say something, just say it here..why I must come to football team’s camping?.”

“Because I’m there, you must come, and don’t worry, because the other player asked her girlfriends to join..” “The other players asked their girlfriend, but..sunbae..ah..oppa, asked your junior to join..”

“You’ll find out, why I asked you to join this camping..you must come..” and he leave her who still didn’t understand this situation.

When she go back to her house, she meet Yerin who walked side by side with Sungjae,

“We meet again,” said Yerin, Sooyoung just smile to her and bowed.

“Where did you come from?,” Sungjae asked to her.

“Watch football match..final high school football match..” when Sungjae heard that, he already know that Minhyuk is the one who made her come to watch football match, “where are you going?,” Sooyoung asked Sungjae. “School..next week is D-Day..so, we must study hard..”, he talk about math competition..

“Ah..then..good luck.., sunbaenim too,” and leave them.

“Why are you close with her?, she Is girl with bad manner.” Yerin bad mouthing Sooyoung, and Sungjae didn’t like it.

“She is a good girl, don’t say those words again,” and leave her behind.

Minhyuk still in player room, his close friend come closer to him,

“Yah..I saw Sooyoung next to your mother, they watch our match. You invited her to come here?,” he asked. “Hmm..to earn point, so I won’t lose to Sungjae. While he’s busy preparing for the math competition, I’ll get closer to her.”

“So, will you say your feeling to her?,” he asked. “Hmm..soon, I’ll say it.” Then smile to his friend, “I get my chance to say that, I must say it before I lost that chance.”