Chapter 10: Drunken Truth

If I Had a Lover

2 years later:

Sungjae again and again asking for breaking up with Yerin, and her answer always the same, she always say ‘no’ to him,

“Don’t you get tired..you always say that to me..”

“I really asked that question to you because I considered you as my couple...if I tried to be bad boy, I’ll leave you without ask you,” he said, now they can use informal language toward each other, “I already said to you that our relationship will make us more hurt..”

“Then don’t say about broke up again, it’ll make me more hurt,” she said, “it’s from me..present for congratulate you who get accepted in medical program, sorry if it’s late,” she gave him a box, it’s look like watch. He enter his first day as college student three months ago, “it’s also your birthday present..” she said.

“It’s make me more burden.” He said and not take the box.

“I do that to make you feel burden, so take it and use it..” then she stand up, “I’ll call you leter,” then she leave him there.

“She really makes me stress,” his phone rang, “oh..Ilhoon-ah..” he said, “ah..okay I’ll go there now, wait for me..”

It’s not even his first day, his senior in medical program, Yonsei University, always do this, they said it’s welcoming party, it’s already the third. Ilhoon get accepted at the same program and the same university as him,

“It’s just coincident that I really want to drink alcohol..from this year I can drink alcohol now..haha...” and he go to the place.

While in a cafe, Sooyoung doing her part time job, she do that from this early year..when she is busy serve the customer, suddenly a voice make her nervous, she didn’t hear that voice that often in this 2 years,

“How have you been, Sooyoung-ah?,” he asked, Sooyoung look at his face..she miss this face, “you became thiner than before,” he said that make her heart flutter.

“Hmm..I’m doing fine until now, when did you come back?,” she asked.

“I arrived yesterday, ” she is still in frozen, “I want two ice chocolate..after served the one customer behind me, come to me..I want to talk something to you,” then he sit after order two drinks, one for him and one for her. In this 2 years, they are still in relationship, every weekend, he’ll call her or she will call him, it’s just that.

“I heard that you always go on date with boys..,” he said after drink his ice chocolate.

“Heard?, you never talk to me about that when we call each other, why suddenly asking that in our first meeting after 2 years..”

“Because Ifeel you didn’t appreciative my feeling and my effort to stay loyal to you.. ”

“Those boys who I had meet in this 2 years, not came by themself or because I called them, there was the third person who did all of this..who do you think is he/she?,” she asked back to Minhyuk, Minhyuk didn’t give the answer, “Lee Minji..”, she said it clearly. She do that not because she hate her, but because it’s the fact, the last boy who she sent to her a week ago told Sooyoung everything about it, “I really want to meet her and ask her why she did this to me?,” then she drink her ice chocolate. Sooyoung said to the last boy that he must said to the one who ordered him to stop act this way, or else she will do something worse than this.  

“It’s not just that, right?..you still go every where with your precious friend...” he complain again.

“It’s already 2 years since we meet..but you said too much complain to me..,” she drink her ice chocolate before talk again, “You know so much about my activities in Korea, did you have someone to spy on me?,” she became angrier because of his complain towards her, “as you said..he is my precious friend..and because of he is my precious friend..I won’t leave him..is there anything else you want to say to me?,” she said while stand up.

“Let’s break up then,” his words make her stop move, “didn’t you waiting for this for a long time?,” he asked.

“Are you sure?,” she asked once again.

“It’s the first time I said it to you,” she smile bitterly.

“Then, what you said to me before..did you tried to find the reason so you could break up with me, right?,” she asked, Minhyuk didn’t answer, “so..you can tell the other if they ask you why we break up..’it’s because she has too many boy-friends..’ you’ll answer this?,” don’t know why, she became angry. The customers of the cafe looking at her.

“Don’t embarrass yourself like that,” his replied make her more angry, “you should happy..because I won’t forbid you to do this or that like before.., we won’t fight like before..,” he stand up, “aftr this, we must a part again, I can’t do long distance relationship. At least, let’s be friend, eventhough we had break up now, we loved each other before..,” he want to shake hand with her.

“Are you really the one who confessed love to me in front of your footbal team?. Just go, do you think became friend is possible if we break up like this,” and she leave him, back to her job. When Sooyoung about to leave the cafe, suddenly her phone rang, it’s from Ilhoon,

“Why, Ilhoon-ah?,” she asked after pick up his call, “what?, where are you now?,” she asked.

“The meat house is near your job place..there is park near the cafe..next to the park is that meat house..” Ilhoon explained to her and then she end his call and run to the place that he explained to her. When she found two boys sitting on a bench, she lazily approached them,

“Ahh..it’s his first time drinking alcohol, right?, he is making me crazy really,” she said while hit Sungjae’s arm, “it’s should be me who drink tonight, why are you making me more have difficulties?,” Sungjae is there, unconcious.

“Sorry, I’m calling you here, because I should back to the party, so I couldn’t bring him home and back here, it’s too far..” Ilhoon feel wronged.

“It’s okay, how much did he drink?,” she asked.

“Three glasses?, I think he depressed, his face look not good when he enter the meat house..” Ilhoon replied, “I must back now, sorry,” and he leave Sooyoung with drunken Sungjae.

“Wah..it’s too much Sungjae-yah..,” she said, “I just break up..and now, I must take care of my friend who drunk too much alcohol..I should be the one in your postion now,” she complaino her drunken friend.

“Wah..it’s Sooyoung-ie,” he said while pointed his finger to Sooyoung, Sooyoung get rid of his finger.

“What’s make you drink this much, hah?,” she asked.

“Because of someone, I became like this..I regret it..really regret it..” Sooyoung confused with his words.

“You have problem with your girlfriend? Or do you have problem in college?,” she asked.

"There is someone who always in my mind..but she is not my girlfriend,” he said while looking at Sooyoung.

“Wah..you can’t do that, Yerin sunbaenim will be angry if she know it..”

“She already know it from the start..and she always angry to me if I say something to her about that girl..,” he replied it, still looking at Sooyoung. The smell of alcohol really strong,

“Wah..who is that girl?, I’ll tell her to come out from your mind then..” she said that jokingly while hitting his head, suddenly he grabs her hand,

“I think you can’t, because I’m the one who not letting her leave my mind..and because that girl who always in my mind is you,” he said that, making Sooyoung shocked.

“Ah..you..really had much drink tonight, let’s go home..” she thought what he said to her are lie, she force him to get up but she can’t, “yah..let’s catch taxi there, so stand up please Mr. Yook Sungjae,” suddenly he pull her hand and kiss her on lips, it’s make her more shocked, she hit his head, “yah..”

“Because it’s seem you didn’t believe what I’ve said to you..” Sooyoung’s heart beating really fast, Sungjae back to sit on the bench, “I love you, Sooyoung-ah..” her heart beat became faster than before after heard that,

"What’s wrong with me?. Let’s go home, ah..seriously..” someone saw  from start..she saw from a far.

*

The next morning, Sooyoung’s dad order her to give Sungjae’s family some side dishes that her grand mother gave to them yesterday. She come to his house, she still can forget what’s happen last night, she became little bit nervous when she rang the door bell. She enter his house, heard his mom voice,

“Don’t you know that it’s already 10 o’clock, how much did you drink last night until sleep like corpse like that?,” she back to kitchen to meet Sooyoung, “oh..thank you..your grand mother come to your house yesterday?,” she asked while organizing the side dish.

“Yes, she said that she miss me a lot, so she came here,” not long after she said that, Sungjae come out form his room, greet her with sleepy face,

“Good morning, Park Sooyoung,” he said..she think that he must be forget what happen last night, then wave her hand to him.

“His girlfriend brought him home...ahh, that’s his first drink though, why he collapse so fast like that, I heard from his girlfriend that he just drink three glasses..” Sooyoung just smile to Sungjae’s mom explanation.

Sungjae brush his teeth, but suddenly he remembering something, he look at his lips through the mirror,

“What did this lips do last night?,” he asked to himself, “is it?, ahhhh..” he sreamed, making everyone in his house shocked.

“Ah..seriouslly, what are you doing?,” his mom screamed.

“I think he just relized something..” his sister said, “what has he done last night while drunken. Randomly sent messege to his friends..or randomly kissed his friends,” Sooyoung just awkwardly sit without join their conversation. Sungjae come out from bathroom after taking bath,

“Mom, you said that the one who brought me home is Yerin, right?,” he asked to his mom, his mom replied it with a nod and then he walking to his room, blankly, “if she is the one who I kissed last night..it’s okay, right?,” he tried to calm himself.

After having breakfast, he reading comic until someone call him,

“Hello..” he said, it’s Yerin who called him.

“How is your body..is it alright?,” she asked, “how much did you drink last night, until you became like that..”

“I’m alright now. How did you come to that meat house last night?,” he asked.

“You sent me messege that you want to meet me at that meat house..but I couldn’t go right after you sent me that messege..and when I came to that meat house, you already unconcious.” She explained.

“Ah..I sent you messege..then..did I do something to you?,” he asked.

“Do something?,” she asked, “like kiss me?,” that question makes Sungjae taken back.

“I’m sorry,” he said that, “you know that I was drunk last night.”

“No need to say sorry, I’m your girlfriend..I’m happy if my boyfriend kissed me..thank you,” she said, not long after that Sungjae end the call.

“What’s with this werid feeling..why I don’t feel happy when I found out that the girl I kissed last night is my girlfriend..” he said to himself.

“Sungjae-yah, could you come out from your room?,” his mother calling, after he come out, “mom want to make a cake, but the mixer broken, it’s seem because your sister didn’t use it well last time,” Sungjae listen to his mom explanation, “go to Sooyoung’s house and borrow her mixer,” after heard that Sungjae go straight to Sooyoung house,

“Why?,” she asked when Sungjae enter her house.

“What are you doing?,” he asked after saw her wearing aproan and bring mop.

“Don’t you know just by  looking?, I’m cleaning house..” she answered that without looking at him.

“Say it while looking at me,” Sungjae protested.

“I must finish this quickly, because after this I must go to part time job..” she said still busy moping the table.

“Mom want to borrow your mixer..” he said while walking closer to Sooyoung, he feels she ignored him, “do you have mixer?,” he asked, Sooyoung turned her head, Sungjae right behind her, makes her shocked, she almost fall on her own feet.

“Ahh..seriously,” she removed his hand that grabs her hand and goes to kitchen, Sungjae feel it that today she is kinda act different.

“What’s wrong with you?,” he asked while following her to the kitchen.

“Nothing wrong with me, just bring it home..your mom must waiting for you there,” she gives the mixer and leave him in kitchen, she back to the table and moping it again.

“Don’t mop it seriously like that, the table will be gone if you do it like that,” he jokingly said that while walking to the door, “I leave now..” after he leave her house, Sooyoung throw away the mop that she use to moping the table,

“What are you doing..Sooyoung-ah, he is Sungjae..your friend, what’s wrong with you?,” she asked to herself then she removed the apron get ready to go to her job place.

*

Sungjae POV:

It’s almost two weeks, Sooyoung behave like that to me. It’s strange, when nothing happen between us, but she suddenly like that. When we talking to each other, she never look at me, when we walk together, she walk faster than me, when my mom asked her to come to my house to have lunch or dinner she always say that she is in her part time job place..what’s wrong with her..

“Is there something wrong?,” Ilhoon come, we couldn’t meet in this two weeks because of so many tasks, “did those tasks make you stress out?,” he asked once again.

“It’s not because of it..it’s because something else.”

“Your girlfriend?,” he asked.

“Sooyoung-ie, acted differently to me lately, I don’t know why..” my reply to him.

“Did you do something wrong to her ?,” he asked to me, I tried to remember, but Ithink..I didn’t do something that upset her, “ah..maybe that day, when you drunk..did you do something to her?,” he asked something that I don’t understand.

“Was she there when I was drunk?,” I asked to him.

“What do you mean?, I’m the one who called her to go there and bring you home..” what he said makes me more confussed.

“But, mom said to me that the one who brought me home that day was Yerin..” after heard my words, he look confused too.

“Maybe, they meet on the way to your home, and Sooyoung want your girlfriend to take you home,” he tried to connected the moments.

“I checked my phone and Yerin said, she come to meat house because  I sent messege to her that I want to meet her at meat house,” I informed him the other thing.

“So, they did meet there then. Was your girlfriend said something to Sooyoung that make her acted differently?,” he asked.

“I don’t know. So, did Sooyoung come first?,” I asked again, tried to organized it.

“I meet her at the park, she even hit you..and said that she should be the one who get drunk, not you,” he told me something that I don’t really know.

“What’s thing that made her said that?,” I asked to Ilhoon, probably he know something.

“I don’t really know..why are you asked me that question after done my hard tasks..,” he lied down next to me, “just ask one of them, your girlfriend or your friend..if that something happen that night..don’t think too hard bro..” he hit my back, “college live is more difficult.”

I decided to call Yerin to ask if she meet Sooyoung that night,

“You know it so well that I hate it when you talk about her to me..”

“Is that difficult?, just answer meet or not..,” don’t know why I became sensitive lately.

“Just ask her..if you want to know,” and she ends my call.

“If she isn't avoid me, I’ll ask her..but she really avoid me now..I really want to know the reason why she did this to me,” Ilhoon who still lied down next to me said,

“It’s like you more concern about Sooyoung than your girlfriend..” I just sigh.

*

Sooyoung come home late after done her part time job, before go home, she bought something. On the way home, she meet Sungjae who enjoying night view at park, Sooyoung want to avoid him, but he noticed her,

“Sooyoung-ah,” he called her, “yah, Park Sooyoung..” he called her loudly.

“It’s late night, don’t screamed like that,” she protested to him while walking to the bench in the park,

“You are the one who makes me do that,” he look at the plastic bag that she bring, “what’s that?.”

“From this year, I’m not a minor, so I can drink alcohol,” she proundly show the alcohols that she bought, “what are you doing there this late night?,” she asked.

“Lately, you avoid me, so I want to ask why you did that, but now..my friend Sooyoung already comeback..so, I won’t ask about that..” he smiled to her.

“Do you wanna drink?,” she asked him while open one of the beers that she bought.

“No, I have lecture tomorrow in early morning..so I can’t drink tonight,” he refused it. She drink her beer,

“Wah..it’s delicious..really..,” she puts the can and take out the snack, “is it really because of that or is it because you are afraid if you’ll kiss me again..?” he staring at her, she awkwardly stop her words and hit her own lips, what’s wrong with this mouth..why I said that words..

“What did you said?, kiss you?, again?,” he asked.

“Just forget it, you didn’t remember anything anywhy..” then eat the snack.

“Who said that I didn’t remember anything..I remember that I kissed someone that night..” he want to get her attention, “if it’s you the one I kissed..so, it’s okay..”

“What do you mean by that, it’s not okay..” she said.

“Why you said that?, do you hate that kiss?,” he asked.

“Can’t you stop talking about that?, it’ll make us awkward if you always said about it..” Sungjae keep staring at her, he want her answer, “okay, I don’t hate it..just don't talk about it again, is that enough?, don’t ask another question..”

“If you don’t hate it, then you like it. Can I ask another question?,” he smile at her, she still can’t look at him.

“I’ll go home then..” when she about to standing.

“Then, what should I do now?, should I just forget about it or should I just confess my feeling to you?.” What he asked make her disbelief, he still have girlfriend, why he asked that.

“Yah, are you crazy?, someone who already had girlfriend said that words..” she is about to hit him, but he grabs her hand before he get hit,

“Hmm..I’m really crazy now..in my mind there are so many words that I want to tell to you from long time ago..but I still keep it until now..”

“Just keep it then..” she said that and leave him.

“I promise that someday, I’ll say it to you..” he said it out loud, Sooyoung tried to cover her ears, “so, don’t stay away from me..until then.”

Night when Sungjae drunk:

 “Because it’s seem you didn’t believe what I’ve said to you..” Sooyoung’s heart beating really fast, Sungjae back to sit on the bench, “I love you, Sooyoung-ah..” her heart beat became faster than before after heard that,

"What’s wrong with me?. Let’s go home, ah..seriously..” someone saw  that from start..she saw from a far. Then that someone try to get closer to them, Sooyoung still trying to move Sungjae body from the bench, suddenly someone come and help her, she looks shocked when she know who is the one who help her,

“I’m sorry,” when she let go of Sungjae’s body,

“Could you help me?, I can’t carrying him by myself,” she said, then Sooyoung back to her position, they carried him until Yerin’s car, “I’ll pretend that I didn’t saw anything..so don't ever tell him abou it, now, say sorry.. to me.” She said after put Sungjae in her car.

“I'm Sorry, although that is not really my fault,” Sooyoung bowing

“I’ll bring him home, so you go..by yourself,” then she open the car door, when she abot to enter the car, “I hope, you don’t have that kind of feeling toward him..after that kiss..” and leave her like that.

"Ah,,rude girl..seriously," she said then touch her lips, "your drinking habit is too much, Sungjae-yah." Sooyoung think that's his drinking habit, but everytime she think of that, her heart beat fast.