Chapter 9: Hurt

If I Had a Lover

The two couples are still in relationship until the next six months. Although a lot of bitter things happen, they didn’t decided to break up because one of them still want to continue, but their relationship became really plain, there is no taste. Now, Sooyoung come to Minhyuk’s graduation ceremony, she bought flowers for him and waiting for him outside the building. When the ceremony finished, his mother walking to her, she is there with his brother. Sooyoung bowed to them,
“He’ll come here, let’s wait and congratulate him,” his mother said. Not long after that, Minhyuk come with wide smile, he use the scarft that Sooyoung made for him,
“Finally,” he said then hug his mother and his brother, and he looking at Sooyoung, “thank you for coming here,” she give the flower to him and he accepted it with smile.
“Congratulation, you’ll became a college student now,” Sooyoung said.
“You still didn’t let her know about it?,” his brother asked Minhyuk, Sooyoung asked to his brother, “he will take football school in Europe,” Sooyoung just smile after heard that.
“I have a plan to tell her later, why you told her now..” he’s complain to his brother.
Is he really want to tell me later?, that question suddenly popped out in Sooyoung mind..
“Tonight..I’ll held party with my friend, come there... I hope you came, I have many things that I want to talk to you,” he said.
“What happen to your relationship if Minhyuk goes to Europe?. I asked him many time but he didn’t give me answer,” his brother asked to Sooyoung.
“Well, I just know it that he’ll go to Europe...” she look hide her anger toward her boyfriend.
“I hope, the two of you still continue your relationship, I really like you Sooyoung, I want you to became my daughter in-law..” his mother suddenly said, her words make her shocked.
“Why talking about future, we still this young..” Minhyuk awkwardly replied his mother words.
After taking photos, they head to one of restaurant near school,
“Sooyoung-ah, pick what you want..today Minwoo will treat us..” his mother said to Sooyoung, Sooyoung smile and start picking the food that she want.
It’s almost a year they are in relationship, Sooyoung know his family and he know her father. It’s not like they decided to marry each other years later, it’s just they want to know each other better.
Sooyoung come to his party, he held party in one of famous cafe in Kangnam. When she enter the building, Minhyuk’s friends voice welcome her..
“Wah..our sister in law..” they shouted out, “came here..” Sooyoung walking to Minhyuk while looking at Inha who stand not far from Minhyuk, she look enoyed...
“You come?,” Minhyuk said when she standing in front of him, “drink it,” he said while give her a glass of juice, Sooyoung just smile to him. While everyone enjoyed the party, Sooyoung and Minhyuk just sit and look at his friends who dance excitedly,
“Why you didn’t tell me about that?,” Sooyoung asked, Minhyuk look confused, “about you take football school in Europe..”
“I was planing to said to you after graduation ceremony, but hyung already said to you first..,” he tried to explain, “sorry, from now on, I’ll tell you first..”
“When will you go there?,” she asked.
“Next week..I promise that we’ll do all your list before I go there..and I’ll contact you often when I start my school there...,” Sooyoung just show a simple smile.
“Can you show to your boyfriend that you are happy for him?,” suddenly a girl voice, both of them turn their head, a girl with casual dress si there..”Hello..oppa..” Sooyoung look doesn’t who is she and Minhyuk look shocked, “is she your girlfriend?, I think we meet somewhere before, right?,” she said to Sooyoung.
“I don’t know if we meet before...” Sooyoung said.
“It’s impossible you ever meet her before,” Minhyuk interupted.
“In my parent wedding party..,” Sooyoung look shocked after heard that, Minhyuk look at his girlfriend, “hello, our dongsaeng..”
“Ah..Minji-yah..can you wait there? I have something to talk to her,” Minhyuk said after saw Sooyoung expression.
“Don’t order me to do this and that,” she said, “I want to have a talk with my dongsaeng..can you leave us alone..” she said to Minhyuk.
“Yah..don’t ruin my party, okay?,” Minhyuk said.
“Yah..you got this place for your party is because of my dad..don’t you think it’s rude to said that me, dad’s daughter will ruin your party because of I want to have talk with your girlfriend, my dongsaeng..” Sooyoung doesn’t know what to do, just silently watching them, “did he told you about football school?, my dad helped him a lot to get that opportunity, so I hope you won’t forbid him to go there,” not long after that, a man come, it’s like her dad, Sooyoung look more uncomfortable around them, Minhyuk asked her to get out first then he’ll follow her after talk to Minji’s dad..
“Why?, I want to talk to her..” Minji said then follow Sooyoung, Minhyuk couldn’t forbid her to go, so he stay there with Minji’s dad while Minji call Sooyoung..
“Mom’s daughter..mom’s daughter..” what kind of name is that, Sooyoung just go straight, “Yah..I’m your unni..” after heard that Sooyoung stop her step, Minji run to her, “we still didn’t introduce to each other..my name is Minji, Lee Minji..what’s your name?,” she asked, Sooyoung just staring at her, “yah, you want me to call you mom’s daughter?, why don’t you tell me..what’s your name?, is that difficult?,” she asked.
“Sooyoung..Park Sooyoung..”
“Ahh..Sooyoung-ie..I want to tell you that I’m so sorry..because of me, you couldn’t meet your mother anymore. Your mother choosed me over her own daughter, do you know what’s the reason?,” she asked.
“If you want to know just asked her then, sorry, but I’m busy..I’ll leave first..Minji-ssi..” she said then leave her.
“Yah..don’t you know that Minhyuk is our dad’s nephew, then why you still dating him?, did you want to get close to ypur mother,” she said that loudly.
“If I do that because of that reason, what does it do with you?, isn’t today our first meeting, why you asked me such a rude question like that..” she is grumbling by herself.
After reached home, Minhyuk call her to know that she is okay,
“I’m not really okay..” she answered.
“I’m sorry that I couldn’t protected you properly,” he said.
“It’s okay, just take a rest, you must be really tired, let’s have a talk next time,” she said and then end the call, she take a deep sigh and closed her eyes. Not long after that, the door bell rang, Sungjae is in front of her house, “what are you doing here?,” she asked before open the door.
“Just open the door, I brought something for you,” he said, then she open the door for him, “let’s have a party,” he showed her a box, she told him to enter the house.
“What is this?, did you bought this cake and fall down on the way here or you made it?,” she asked when she open the box, “it’s look messy..”
“My sister made cakes for her boyfriend, she made two..that the one is the failed one,” he said while smiling.
“And you give me the failed one, good job Sungjae-yah..” she leave the cake and bring a can of cola for Sungjae who is sitting while watching TV.
“The taste is good, just the presentation is bad, try it..” he said while open the can, Sooyoung cutting the cake and try it, “delicious, right?,” he said after saw Sooyoung eat the cake, Sooyoung give him a piece than sit next to him, “I heard you just come from Minhyuk’s party..”
“How did you know?, I didn’t tell you about that..”
“Yerin sunbaenim told me..”
“Yah, you still call her sunbaenim?, she is your girlfriend, Sungjae-yah..” she protested to other thing.
“It’s just awkward to call her just by her name..so what did you do there?,” he asked.
“Just..watched his friends dancing and singing..and talked to him..and meet my mom’s daughter..her new daughter..” Sungjae look confused, “I ever told you that Minhyuk oppa is mom’s new husband’s nephew, right?..”
“So, did you two talk?.”
“I’m not really happy to see her..and it was our first meeting, but she said the hurtfull words to me..” she then eat the cake.
“Just eat the cake, and forget all about it..” he said, after consoled Sooyoung, Sungjae leave Sooyoung house on the way home Yerin call him, “hello..,” he said after picked up her call.
“Hmm..what are you doing?,” she asked. They didn’t really do what couple do in this past 6 months of their relationship...the one who call is always Yerin, sometime Yerin would protested to him and told him to call her instead, he just do it for once. They sometime spent time together in weekened, but it was feel really empty for both of them..
“I just come out from Sooyoung’s house..” they keep silent for seconds, Sungjae always told her the truth..even it hurt her..like today,
“Everytime I call you, why you always said that you just come out from her house?,” she asked, “did you did that deliberately to make me jealous?,” she asked.
“Not, that’s true, I just come out from her house.”
“I think..I’m still nobody to you,” she said then end the call all of sudden.
“And..in the end..we are not heal each other wound or console each other. But we add another wound, by just being together..” he said.
*
Today, as his promise, Minhyuk want to complet her list before he go. He just add one wish to her list..
10. Meeting my parent and brother
and he add it today to her list..
11. Miss me while I’m away.
Sooyoung already know his mother and brother, he said to her that he want to introduce her to his father,
“We’ll go to my dad resting place..” he said. They will spent this whole day together, after come to his father resting rest place they will go to beach..they couldn’t go there back then.
“Dad, I come with a girl now. She is my girlfriend, you ever said to me that I must show you if I had someone as my girlfriend, now I came here with her,” he said that to his dad, Sooyoung take a step forward,
“Hello, I’m Park Sooyoung, nice to meet you,” she said, then place flowers on his resting place, “your son really doing well now..don’t worry about him..” after silent for a minute, she take step back, “wanna have a time to chit chat with your dad?,” she asked, Minhyuk smile to her, then she leave him to have a talk with his dad. After 15 minutes, Minhyuk come to her,
“Let’s go to the beach...” he grabs her hand, “let’s have fun today..”. It’s really cold..until two days ago, it was winter..“It’s still cold, although it’s spring,” he said while give her the scarf that she made for her,”you purposely didn’t wear it, right?, so I give you this,” he while put the scarf around her neck, she just smile as reply.
“You are the one who asked me to go beach in this cold weather..” sometime they can act like this, but sometime..they will fight over something simple. They just take a walk and take some photos there, while they enjoy their lunch, suddenly Sooyoung ask about her mother’s new family, “can I ask you something?,” she said, “did my mother really live well with her new family?, did they treat her well?.” Minhyuk look at her with a sad eyes,
“Hmm..don’t worry..” he said.
“I’m not worry..I’m jealous of them..they can live with my mother, but I can’t...” she replied, Minhyuk grab her hand..
“You still have dad who accompany you at home..”
“Hmm..I have a dad, who acted like mom sometime..but it’s really feel different..” she said, “she asked me why my mother leave me and choosed her as my mother’s daughter..should I give her an answer?,” she said, “all words that come out from are really harsh..and really make me hurt.”
“It’s because you didn’t know the real reason about your mother decided to married with her dad,” he suddenly said that, Sooyoung turned her head, “let’s go..” he said then grab her hand.
“You didn’t know that I want to know about her reason to married your uncle?,” she asked.
“We want to have fun, I don’t want to ruin our mood. Let’s go to other place..” when they about to go out from the restaurant, they bump to Sooyoung’s mom new family,
“Oh..oppa..” that girl voice greet them first, “you came here too?,” she asked, not long after that, a woman came to them, suddenly Minhyuk let go of Sooyoung’s hand,
“Oh, Minhyuk-ah, why are you here?,” she asked, she saw Sooyoung but pretended didn’t know that she was there.
“You look happy with your family,” Sooyoung said, “do you get enough love from your new family?,” she suddenly bombarding her mom with questions.
“You grow up badly,” Minji said, “why you said those words with that kind of voice to a mom?.”
“You grow up worse than me, you said harsh words to me too,” she replied her words, she look at her mom who seem embrrassed because of her words.
“Sooyoung-ah, let’s stop this..” Minhyuk want Sooyoung to stop saying words that’ll be make the situation worse.
“I think I’ll intrude this happy family if I continue being here,” she said then face Minhyuk, “let’s talk next time..I’m really tired now..my heart..my body are all tired,” she said and then leave them, Minhyuk didn’t follow her, “I were hopping that at least you follow me,” she said then smile bitterly.
*
Minhyuk goes to Europe, just his mother and brother who come to airport to say goodbye to him,
“Where is your girlfriend?,” his brother asked. Actually, after they meet her mom that day, they still didn’t contact each other, “don’t tell me that you broke up with her?.”
“It’s not like that, maybe she’s busy..” he answered.
Sooyoung enjoyed her holiday..now she have breakfast with her dad at Sungjae’s house,
“You didn’t accompany your boyfriend to the airport?, I heard today he’ll go to Europe,” Sungjae asked after breakfast.
“Maybe he didn’t want to see me before take off,” she said without look at Sungjae. He feel something happen between them, but he didn’t want to asked to Sooyoung.
Yesterday:
Minhyuk come to the school to say goodbye to the teacher. It’s still holiday, but there are some teacher who come to the school, and there are some students who come there too. One of the students who come to the school that day is Sungjae. When they meet at hallway, Minhyuk suddenly call Sungjae and want to have a talk with him,
“So, you’ll leave her after want her to stay by your side?,” Sungjae asked after arrived at rooftop.
“She didn’t even protested to me, ” he replied, “I just want to tell you that, while I’m away..don’t even try to make her come to you.”
“I can’t guarantee that..” Minhyuk come closer to him and grab his collar, “wanna have a fight with me?,” he asked.
“You already have a girlfriend, don’t you think she will be sad if she heard that?.”
“She know about my feeling to Sooyoung...” he frankly told him that.
“I can tolerate if you stay close to her as her close friend, but I won’t forgive you if you stay close to her with another motive,” he said, then suddenly a girl voice,
“But, I couldn’t tolerate if he stay close to her, as close friend or other than that. It’s make me angry..” Yerin come, Sungjae look surprised, “he know that I feel hurt by that action, but he still do that..” it’s like she reported all of her concern to Minhyuk.
“But, why you still by his side if you feel hurt?,” Minhyuk asked.
“Because I love him,” Yerin replied while looking at Sungjae.
“Then I’ll leave, both of you must solve your problem…” Minhyuk leave them.
“So, that’s what you want to say to me?,” Sungjae asked, “I don’t want to be a mean boy for you, sunbaenim, but that’s what’s I feel…so..” Yerin stop him to continue his words, she know that he want to break up,
“I know what you want to say…because we start it together..when you want to end it, you must ask me first..” Sungjae look confused, “I won’t break up with you..” and leave him like that.
Back to today at Sungjae’s house:
Sooyoung phone rang, she open the message, it’s from her boyfriend:


I leave now..I’ll miss you, I love you Sooyoung-ah

She put her phone back to her pocket then suddenly ask Sungjae,
“Did I walk on right path?, and did I choosed the right person to walk with?.”
“Why suddenly asked that question?,” Sungjae asked.
“It’s nothing..” tyhen he look straight, “it’s really hurt..” she said, Sungjae look confused with his friend.
“Just tell me what make you hurt,” and she just smile to him.