Chapter 16: Congratulation

If I Had a Lover

Her alarm ringing, she abruptly get up from the bed and look at to her dress, it’s still the dress that she wore last night. She tried to remember, did she done something weird again while drunk, not long after that she got an messege from Sungjae saying that his ceremony will be start in 2 hours, she just remember that today is Monday, Sungjae’s ceremony,

“Ah..really,” after take a bath, she choose the dress, white dress that Sungjae like. After done with make up, she run so she can save up some time, it’s already 9 o’clock the ceremony will be start in an hour, “what kind of flower that suitable for this kind of event..,” she came to the florist near her apartement.

“What kind of event?,” the owner asked.

“Hmm, today is Sungjae’s ceremony, after this he’ll officially became a doctor. What kind of flower that will suitable?,” she asked.

“How about this flower, it’s really beautifull,” she give Sooyoung a red flower, “it’s one kind of sunflower..fiesta del sol..there is meaning behind it, sunflower giving you feeling about cheerfull live, full of warm feeling with sincerity. You hope that Sungjae will became a doctor who have cheerfull live and full of warm feeling with sincerity toward his patients, toward persons around him.”

“It have such deep meaning, then give me those flowers. He didn't even apologize to me yet, but I did this..ha..” she give her the money then rushing to go to Yonsei university. The ceremony begin 10 minutes ago, when Sooyoung come, Sungjae standing there giving speech as model-student,

“Your boyfriend have such a bright future..hehe,” she said in such low voice then looking for empty seat that near from her, Sungjae didn’t notice her coming. When Sungjae and the other students, include Ilhoon come to the front and read the oath, don’t know why it’s really makes everyone who heard that cry, Sooyoung too, “you have work hard as intern, after this you must work even harder than before.” After the ceremony, she is waiting for him who still busy chatting with his senior and his mentor who come to the ceremony, when Sooyoung walk little closer, some girls come to him and give him roses, “hah..seriouslly, it’s too much. From middle school until now, there are some girls who still do that kind of thing to him..” he saw Sooyoung then giving her sign that he’ll come there, when the girls disappeared, they replace by the other girl, and she is someone she know, “ahh..what is this?, his girlfriend is the last girl who get his attention,” then with those flower, he run to her, then hig her, “I’m still angry with yesterday, but it get bigger..”

“What?, what’s that get bigger?,” he asked, “when were you coming?, I were looking for you but couldn’t find you anywhere..”

“My anger getting bigger now, I come when you giving speech..I sat at the last row..” she said then pull his body then looking at his hand that full of flower, “I guess my flower doesn’t fit in your hand,” she said then she about to throw the flower but Sungjae prevent it,

“My hands are full of flower, but there is space in my heart..place it there.. ” he start it, that cheesy words that always make everyone who heard it cringe.

“Should I do operation here, so I can put my flower inside your heart.. ” she get along with his joke.

“You said that you still angry, but giving me this, it’s mean you..” Sungjae didn’t even continue his words, but..

“No, it’s just for congratulate you.., hello,” she said then bowing, Sungjae’s family come.

“I thought you won’t come,” his sister said.

“It’s special day for her boyfriend, she must come for her boyfriend..” Sungjae join the converstion.

Unni, tonight..you’ll..” Sooyoung didn’t even finish it but..

“Hmm..you must come out prettily, wear the best dress..I’ll introduce you to someone who is better then my brother,” after heard that, Sungjae hit his own sister, “aii, seriously, it’s just a joke. Ah, I’ll go first, there is something that I must prepare for tonight..so, bye..” she said then leave them. Sungjae’s family leave first,

“We’ll held small party for you next time, so for tonight just for your sister, okay,” his dad said before leaving. Sooyoung saw someone she know waiting for someone not far from them,

“Isn’t she Seunghwan?, what is she doing here?,” she asked then walking towards her, “Seunghwan-ah, what are you doing?, waiting for someone?.”

“Are you waiting for my bestfriend?, then the one who he talked to me last time, was you..right?,” Sungjae asked to Seunghwan, she look nervous. Not long after that, someone approach them,

“Hello,” Ilhoon come.

“Oh..Ilhoon-ah,congratulation. But sorry, I didn’t bought anything for you..hehe,” Sooyoung said while shaking hand with Ilhoon.

“It’s okay, the big present is here already, right, Ilhoon-ah?,” Sungjae , Sooyoung still clueless, “aii..Sooyoung-ie doesn’t know what happen here?, I know it by just looking..Ilhoon-ah, tell us now..is my prediction correct?,” he asked to Ilhoon.

“Hmm..we are dating,” he said, it’s make Sooyoung shocked, Sooyoung look at Seunghwan, and she awkwardly smile to her, “since three days ago..”

“That’s a good news, right, Sooyoung-ah..” Sooyoung still in shocked, “what’s wrong with your expression?,” Sungjae pinch her check , “it’s a good news, Congratulation Ilhoon-ah..Seunghwan-ah..”.

“What is this?, why you ddin’t tell me anything about it?,” she asked to Seunghwan.

“Sorry, really..”

“I’m happy hearing it, but still..anywhy, congratulation..I’m really happy for both of you.”

“Next time, let’s have double date..” Sungjae said.

“Haa..okay,” Ilhoon grab Seunghwan hand, “we’ll have double date..”

“Wah..you’re that blood, you said to me last time that the one you’ll confesed not her..big liar..,” Sungjae hit Ilhoon arm, “ah..we’ll go first..tonight my sister having a special event..enjoy your time,” Sungjae said, he want to hold Sooyoung hand, but his hand full of flowers,

“Ah..you and your popularity. It’s my fate to have this kind of boyfriend, is it bad fate or good fate?,” she said then leave him, “just go without holding hand..” she said it out loud.

“Why are you so cute?,” he said.

“What’s wrong with you two…” the other couple protest.

*

At night, both of them attend Sungjae’s sister engagement, it’s just small party with their family in a restaurant,

“When will we be the one who standing there and exchange rings?,” he whispered to Sooyoung who sit next to him.

“Why are you asking me?, shouldn’t I be the one who ask you?,” she is really like to joke around with her boyfriend.

“I want it, faster. But, there are some problems, ” after heard that, Sooyoung turn her head to face him, “your ‘if I have lover’ list didn’t complete yet, and the other problem is money problem.”

“What is that?, ckckc..” Sungjae’s mother who sit in front of them, turn her head to them,

“Don’t chating!, do it when the engagement finish..,” both of them apologize and smile to his mom.

After dinner, Sooyoung come to restaurant garden while drinking wine, Sungjae come and sit next to her,

“That will be the last glass,” he said then drinking his own drink, “I want to say something to you.”

“Just say it..why?, about marriage?,” after said that she’s giggling, “why suddenly I said about that?, ah..this mouth..”

“About your dad..,” after heard that she put the glass on table and face Sungjae, “the reason I meet up with Yerin is because she is working on your dad case..my patient is one of the witnesses,” Sungjae smile to the shocked Sooyoung.

“Why you didn’t tell me about this earlier, so I won’t misunderstand you and her.”

“Sorry for not telling you..actually yesterday was the first court, and next week will be the next one, Yerin said that maybe will be the last one..”

“So, then?.”

“From the witnesses, your dad didn’t commite suicide, he got shoot from his own team..next week, come to the court with me..” she smile, but then her tears fall, Sungjae hug her tightly, “your dad won’t commite suicide, because he has a daughter who always wait for him in house, you know it..”, he said while rubbing her hair, “wanna go home now?, I’ll tell the other,” Sooyoung nodding.

In house, Sooyoung open her childhood photo album, Sungjae still with her,

“Suddenly, I miss those time,” she said while looking at her photo who sit between her dad and her mom, “I know, that it won’t happen again, because the other two who were in this photo leave me.”

“I’m still here..because we couldn’t repeat what we have done in the past..we’ll create another memory..for our future..congratulation..”

“For what?.”

“You have passed another stage..”

“Stage?.”

“To became my future wife..,” he is grining, “I need a strong wife..strong inside and outside..and I find it in you, so..” after said that he get hit, “ah..why?, it’s hurt.”

“You said that there are some problems..so finish those problems first, then talk about marriage, okay..my future husband,” she said then leave him.

“Wah..you just said that?, then no matter what will happen, in the end you’ll be my wife, right?,” he talk while following Sooyoung who walk to her room,

“Stop, don’t follow me..I’ll change my dress first,” she said then close the door, “and because you are just my future husband, not a husband, so..you can go home now, it’s already this late. A grown man come to the single woman’s house until this late night..it’s really bad attitude,” she said after open the door again.

“What is she saying so sudden,” he said while pinched her check, “okay, I’ll go home for now..” then kiss her on her forehead, Sooyoung smiling then wave her hand,

“See you tomorrow…”. When Sungjae open the door, someone leave something there, he take that and run to looking for the person who sent this bag full of present, then he meet Minhyuk in front of apartement,

“Why that bag in your hand?, I gave it to Sooyoung..” he said, “ah..congratulation..I heard that today is your ceremony..you are an official doctor from now on..” he said while giving him a present, but Sungjae just looking at him, “you didn’t take it?, why?.”

“Why you did this?, you know, from the start that we are not that close..then suddenly..”

“I give it to my doctor, is that wrong?,” he asked, “congratulation…just take it..I know that we were not that close..but we can start it now..getting close..” he said then put the gift inside the bag that he hold.

“Then..why you give this gifts to Sooyoung?,” he asked.

“It’s her birthday gifts..in this past years I couldn’t give it to her, so I give it now..and I want to apologize to her..I’ll bring something that will make her happy next time if this gift isn’t enough..”

“What?, what’ll will you bring?,” he asked, “don’t bother my girlfriend.”

“That’s my secret..so allow me to do that for once..just once..then, I won’t see her again..as someone who I love..”

“You know that I’m her boyfriend, right?,” he asked, “then why you asked something like that to her boyfriend..just stop it..,” then he leave him, “I’ll give this gifts to her, but you can’t meet her like you want. I’ll leave first.. “. Then Minhyuk looking at Sooyoung’s apartement, he know that all this time, Sooyoung looking at them from her room window, he wave his hand to her,

“I’ll bring her to you..so after that..I hope you’ll said something to me like..’let’s be friend..’ it’ll be really make me happy if you did that..”