Chapter 15: Between us

If I Had a Lover

Sungjae come to Sooyoung house, as an apologize he brought a lot of food that his mom cook this morning, he preparing for her breakfast, while Sooyoung still clueless with his exsistance in her house,

“Ah..it’s refreshing..,” she said while coming out from bathroom, then she heard some noise from kitchen, she is walking slowly to the kitchen, then she saw someone preparing something for breakfast, “what kind of event is this?,” she asked, she still angry after knowing he meet Yerin yesterday, he even didn’t tell her anything about that yet.

“Preparing breakfast for Mrs. Park, sit here, let’s eat..,” he said then put two plate on the table, “why?, sit her..and let’s eat,” then he bring a hot chocolate.

“You don’t have something to tell me?,” she asked while walking to the dining table, “you make me upset yesterday.”

“And..because I made you upset yesterday, I came and prepare this for you, let’s eat together now..,” he dragged her body and forced her to sit, “it’s look delicious,” he said then give her sign to eat the food first, then she eat it, “is it delicious?,” he asked, Sooyoung just nodding and continue eating.

“I’m not really upset because of that, it’ not like the first time you leave while we eating. I’m upset because of the other thing..” she said, with serious face.

“Why are your face so serious like that?, make me scared. Wait..you upset because something else..yesterday?, we meet at night, right?, after that..” he tried to remember what happen yesterday, beside that dinner, “is that because of..” he didn’t even finish his words then Sooyoung said,

“The messege you received yesterday, was that from Yerin unni?,” she asked, Sungjae close his eyes, “why?, you must be wonder, how could she know about it?, right?. I thought there were something emergency that happen to your patient..then I saw you with her in a café..” Sungjae smiling while listening to her, one of the things that he really like from her is that she never tried to hide what make her so upset, about their relationship. She never said that ‘I’m okay with it’ or ‘it’s okay’, she will tried to show her true feeling, then if after that something didn’t feel right, she’ll said, ‘just go’ or just look at him angrily.

“Because, one of my patient is witness from the case that she assigned. Are you jealous?,” he asked, she know that he .

“Is that something you would asked to your girlfriend who still angry because her boyfriend didn’t say anything about meeting his ex?,” she asked, she still angry about it. Sungjae walk closer to her, then grab her hand,

“I’m sorry for not telling you about that, but you do’t have to worry about anything..because from long time ago until now, I’m only looking at one person..” while looking at her deeply.

“What wrong with that stare?,” she pinched his arm.

“Ah, it’s hurt, why you loved to hit me..or pinch me..my body full of scare because of you..” he said then back to his seat.

“Because your body is mine..so I can do it to you..”

“Yah.you sound like ert, don’t say anything like that in front of another man..”

“Ah..seriouslly, why he called his own girlfriend ert.., this weekend, after going to dad, let’s play..” she said, Sungjae look thinking for a while. This weekend, after going to her dad, he must go to the court so he’ll know the development of her dad case,

“I think, this weekend, we can’t play, I have something to do..” Sooyoung who just smile, that smile suddenly disappeared from her face after heard that, “sorry..”

“Ah..I get tired of that word..,” she get up from her seat and goes to her room, “if you have done with your breakfast, then leave..you’ll be late..” she said then close her room’s door.

“We’ll play in night..I’ll get permission from my mentor,” he said because he feel really sorry to her.

“You’ll prepare for the next day, right?, the next day, there is a ceremony for you..you’ll became an official doctor after that..and you’ll get busy after that..” from her tone, he know that she really angry right now,

“I’ll leave then..,” he said then leave her after cleaning the kitchen.

*

Sooyoung with Sungjae’s family goes to Sooyoung’s dad rest place in early morning, they prepare the food, when they arrived there..Sungjae’s sister suddenly talking about her engagment

“Ahjussi, tomorrow someone will make me his bride..it’ll be nice if you are there. We’ll always pray for you, ” then she rubbing Sooyoung’s back who start crying, Sungjae’s family take step back then Sooyoung start talking privately with her dad,

“”Dad, it’s already a year, don’t you miss me?, I really miss you because in this past year, I’m all alone in our house. Our house not that big, but when I’m alone, that small house feel really big..I'll visit you often..”, then she bowing to her dad, Sungjae look at her from behind, from that day until today, she still behave the same, she really angry to him...

“Yah..are both of you have a problem?,” his sister asked.

“Oh..because of me..” he said.

“I think it's not the time for you and her to think about marriage..both of you have long way to go..,” her words make Sungjae confused.

“What are you talking about? So randomly..” he said then leave her, Sungjae and his family waiting for Sooyoung, Sooyoung come to the car,

“Hmm..I'll comeback by myself, all of you can go home first..” then bowing to them, Sungjae come out from car and follow her,

“Where are you going?,” he asked while grabing her hand.

“The place that I want to go with you, but you couldn't make it because your busy schedule, so I'll goi there by myself.”

“That place name is too long, just go with us, until there..” he pull her.

“I’ll go there by myself, don’t worry too much, just go before the call come, because it’s really annoying me everytime you with me, a phone call come then you’ll leave me..it’s better you leave me before that phone call come,” she said then pull her hand, “be carefull..” then she leave him. The place that she want to go with him is a river near her dad rest place, now she just smiling by herself while looking at the scenery, “haa…it’s Saturday and I’m here by myself,” not long after that her phone rang, it’s Joohyun, “it’s Saturday, but why this person keep calling me..” she said while picking up her phone call, “hello..Bae Joohyun-ssi..”

“What’s wrong with you?,” she asked because Sooyoung acted not like herself, “don’t forget, tonight 7 P.m, our chief editor will held private party for her birthday with our team, you must came to Red restaurant..don’t be late..” she said then end the call even before hear Sooyoung’s answer,

“Aii..seriouslly..why suddenly end the call like that..” Sooyoung leave the river and headed to buy something for the chief editor. While Sungjae waiting for someone in front of court room, the court about Sooyoung’s dad case already finished 10 minutes ago,

“Thank you for coming, but I hope the next court Sooyoung will come. The next court, I think it’ll be the last, so she must come..” Yerin said that to Sungjae.

“Okay, I’ll ask her. She is angry to me because today I couldn’t come with her to the somewhere, I’ll ask her later. Thank you, once again..”

“Does she angry because of me?, she saw you bought coffee for me, right?,” she suddenly asked that, Sungjae nodding, “tell her that, I don’t have that kind of motive…I just want to be your friend..or should I tell her by myself?,” she asked.

“No, I’ll tell her about everything that I hided from her. I’ll leave first then,” he leave her like that.

“I hope both of you will long last, so I won’t think that I can comeback to you, Sungjae-yah..” she said to herself then smile.

*

Minhyuk come to the chief editor’s birthday party, when Joohyun saw him she is confused,

“Why he come here?,” she asked to the other.

“Because she invite him, she is his fans,” one of them answer while point out the one who invite Minhyuk to this birthday party, “it’s okay, because we have him in this party, this party became so much fun..” then smile to Joohyun, then she looking for her phone to call Sooyoung and let her know that Minhyuk come to this party, but Sooyoung didn’t even pick it up,

“Joohyun-ssi,” the chief director call her, then she come closer, “where is that women?, she always late,” she asked about Sooyoung, “call her to come here faster, we’ll start the party..”

“She came late because today is a year of her dad death..” after heard that Minhyuk asked her,

“What?, her dad death?, a year?,” he look shocked.

“Yes..it’s already a year,” then Joohyun leave them and try to call he once again.

“Why I didn’t know about it?,” the chief editor looking at him who look upset over something.

“Is there something wrong?,” she asked, Minhyuk just smile to her. Not long after that Sooyoung come with big smile on her face and a gift in her hand,

“Sorry I came late,” she said, then realized something, Minhyuk looking at her, she come closer to the chief editor to give her the gift, “it’s for you, happy birthday. Thank you for inviting me here.”

“Why?, you look surprised just now. Don’t you want to asked why he is here?,” she asked to Sooyoung while grabing Minhyuk hand, “I invited him to my party as special guest,” she said.

“Ah..it’s good to hear that, then I’ll enjoy the party..both of you too..” then she leave them, Minhyuk’s eyes still on her, “why you didn’t tell me about it?,” she asked to Joohyun who eating her food.

“I called you when he come in, but you didn’t answer my call..,” the maknae of the team heard their conversation and come closer to them,

“So the girl who he dated when he is still a high schooler is you, right?, Sooyoung-ssi,” it’s more like a statement than question, “wah..it’s daebak..” he said then suddenly, “everyone..I have something to tell to all of you,” Sooyoung tried to block his mouth but he grab her hands, “don’t do that, it’ll be really obvisious. Minhyuk-ssi, the girl who you date when you are a high scholar, you said she is in our team, right?,” he asked, Sooyoung tried to escaped from his hand by bite his arm, “I said don’t do that..” he said then everyone,

“Really?, is it you, Park Sooyoung?,” the chief editor asked her, Minhyuk just sit there while looking at Sooyoung who doesn’t know how to answer, “wait..both of you come from same high school, right?, wah…what is this..”, she really look shocked with the news, “and, you said it by your own mouth, Minhyuk-ssi?,” she asked to Minhyuk.

“Because it’s the truth,” then he is standing, he come closer to Sooyoung then grab her hand, make everyone in that room scream, “let go off her hand, I want to talk to her..” he said to the maknae of the team, he let go of her hand and Minhyuk pull her to come out from the room,

“What are you doing?, ” Sooyoung look angry and tried to make Minhyuk let go of her hand.

“Why you didn’t tell me about your dad?,” he suddenly asked about that.

“You want me to tell you about my dad?, why?, is there any reasons?,” she asked that.

“I know that we were not in good relationship that time, but I know your dad…at least let me know about his death…”

“I couldn’t tell everyone about it…because I think it’s no use to tell everyone who decided to break relationship with me…I told mom about it, but there were no response from her. So I thought, the one who had husband-wife relationship with him didn’t even bother to come, why I bother to tell someone who not really close to him…would that be the right answer for your question?,” then she leave him like that, she cameback to the room where the party became really dark,

“Where are you going?, the party is not finished yet, just sit and drink..you make my mood became this bad, and then you want to leave like that?,” the chief director said while give her a glass of wine, “you want another drink?,” she said that because Sooyoung doesn’t pick the glass, then Sooyoung pick the glass from her with smile,

“Thank you so much, and sorry..”

“The one who ruined this party is that maknae..if he didn’t said that tonight, my mood won’t be this bad, just enjoy your drink..” Sooyoung smile and drink the wine then she take another glass then walking to Joohyun, not long after that Minhyuk come in and look at Sooyoung who enjoying her drink while talking to Joohyun,

“So, you told him about my dad?,” she asked to Joohyun.

“Because chief editor said that you always late, so I told her why you come so late..just that, then he ask me..then I answer his question. So the conclution is, I told the chief editor not him..”then she get hit from Sooyoung, “you look so down today, there is problem with your boyfriend?,” she suddenly asked about that.

“Hmm..I want to get drunk tonight..wahh..,” instead of wine, she take the beer near her, “tomorrow is his ceremony day, from tomorrow he’ll get busier than before. Haa…I really hate the word ‘busy’, our dad also like that. Because he is a detective, he rarely sleep in house, he often missed my special event..haa, but why I couldn’t complaint to him back then?,” she asked to herself than drink her beer.

“Yah..don’t drink too much,” it’s her second can, “ah..look at her, she is already collapse,” she pick her phone tried to contact someone, “Sungjae-ssi, you said that you give me your phone number so I can call you when there is something wrong with your girlfriend, right?. Now, you must come to Red restaurant,” after said that, suddenly Minhyuk comes,

“I’ll drive her home,” Joohyun still talk with Sungjae at that time, Sungjae heard that,

“Is that Minhyuk?, listen to me…don’t let him touch Sooyoung, I’ll come faster, I’ll be the one who bring her home,” he said then end the call.

“What kind of situation is this?,” she said then put back her phone, “her boyfriend will come to bring her home, so if you want to go home now, you can go home, I’ll stay here with her,” she tell Minhyuk, but instead of go home, he sit next to Sooyoung,

“Is she always like this?,” he asked.

“Not always, just when she feel bad mood, she will drink as much as she can..” she said then turn her head to face Minhyuk, “do you still love her?, why you seem so interest in her?, she has boyfriend now..” silent for a moment, the other just go to the second round, Minhyuk said to them that he won't come to the second round because he has schedule,

“Why?can't I love someone who already have boyfriend?,” Joohyun look shocked with his answer.

“You can, but don't have any thought of having her again,” after heard that Minhyuk grinning.

”I just want her anger toward me to disappear, so we can greet each other happily..I just want that..”

“Then stay away from her..” a voice that really familiar.

“Since when you are there?,” Joohyun asked.

“Just now, thank you for staying with her, you can go home now..I'll go home with her..” it's really look intense between Sungjae and Minhyuk, Sungjae doesn't event look at him who sit next to Sooyoung, he just grabing Sooyoung hands and give her piggyback,

“Is her home still the same?,” Minhyuk suddenly asked that.

“Why are you so curious about my girlfriend?,” then leave him like that, Sooyoung open her eyes and realized that someone give her piggyback,

“Who are you?,” she asked.

“I already said to you, never get drunk in front of another man..,” Sooyoung tried to make her eyes clear so she can see who is he,

“Uwah..Yook Sungjae..!!, we still fighting, why are you giving me piggy back..put me down!,” she suddenly screaming.

“Just stay quiet, it'll get hard for me if you keep move your body like that..if not me who giving you piggy back, there will be another man who will giving you piggy back ride, if he really did that, it'll make me angry.” Then he find a bench not far from the restaurant, he put Sooyoung down from his back so he can face her, “don't drink again, I promise you..I'll spend more time with you from now..”

“Don't always promise things so easy like that..I'll really hate you if you not keep that promise..you meet her again today?, right..” suddenly she asked about Yerin.

“Why always there are two persons between us..there is no changes from high school till now..still that two persons..” he talk about Yerin and Minhyuk, yeah..even the time passed..the persons who always standing between them is those two persons..it's never change till now.