Chapter 11: The Decision

If I Had a Lover

He still do that..to prove that he really love her, not as friend, but as woman..he do it almost everyday, like today, he goes to her house and put a rose on her door with a little memo saying ‘have good day’ or ’be happy’ or I’ll remember that kiss..’ with a little lips picture in the end of the memo..
“What is he doing, seriouslly..” although she get angry, but she still save all of the rose that given by him.
And when night come, he come to her house before she come from her part time job and put a chocolate candy on her door with another memo saying ‘you have work hard’ or ‘have a nice sleep’ or ‘should I give you another kiss?’ and still with that little picture of lips in the end of the memo. She save this one too.
One day, she couldn’t come to her part time job because she had headace, her dad find the chocolate candy and ask to her,
“What is this?, it’s for you..who did this?,” while show what he found on the door.
“It’s nothing..just someone who had nothing to do who did this..” she took the chocolate candy from her dad, “have a nice sleep, dad.”
“You too, the sender know that you sick, so it must be someone who close to you, right?,” he asked.
“Maybe..hehe.”
He still do it until two weeks. And in the 14th day, he meet her dad who just go home, he came earlier than the other day.
“You did all of this?,” he asked with a smile on his face, “why?, just come and give all of the chocolate candies and roses to her at once..”
“She doesn;t want to meet me, because I made her angry..” he explain to her dad.
“Wah..my daughter have bad temper..let’s go with me..we have to drink soju in a day like this,” he said then pull his body. They go to one of meat house in their neighborhood, “so, can you treat me now?, two years ago..I treat you..now you treat me..” Sooyoung’s dad said jokingly.
“Then I’ll treat now..now I can drink too,” Sungjae answer while pour soju in Sooyoung’s dad glass and his glass.
“So, why did my daughter angry to you?,” he suddenly asked about that.
“Because I like her..” he replied make her dad shocked, “because I confessed to her that I like her..not as a friend.” her dad smile after heard that.
“You didn’t hesitant to said that in fromt of her dad..you are so cool..” he said while pouring soju in to Sungjae’s glass.
“Ah..it’s not that..” he shyly said that.
“But, don’t you have a girlfriend?,” he asked.
“Hmm..did I look like playboy, ahjussi?,” he asked.
“Yeah..if you had girlfriend and you confess to another girl..you are that kind of man then..”
“I’m sorry..it’s not like that..there is a story behind it, why I had girlfriend..” he tried to explain, “actually, I like her at first..but, I never had courage to confess it until she had boyfriend..”
“They already break up..you didn’t know about it?,” after heard that, Sungjae shocked to that news, he didn’t heard anything about it, “it’s already a month after their break up..if I’m not wrong..”
“I don’t know anything about that..”
“Ah, she really angry to you then. Usually she’ll tell you, right?,” he asked and Sungjae noding, “don’t make my daughter sad, I believe you..if you really like her..don’t ever make her cry..like what I did to her..,” he drank once again, “always stand by her side..you promised me that, right?. For your feeling to her, it’s your business..so I won’t say anything about that..” Sungjae just smile while looking at Sooyoung’s dad face.
*
Yerin meet up with Sungjae in park near Sungjae’s house, she smile when see Sungjae come,
“I thought you won’t come,” she said, “Now, I’ll make a decision..”, what she said make him confused, “the thing that you want from me since four years ago...I’ll grant it now..if you grant my wish..”
“What kind of wish that you want me to grant?,” he asked that, he know what she mean..it’s about break up, “I’ll grant it,” he said that like break up is nothing for him.
“Kiss me..at least on my cheek..so, it’ll be good memories for me. Because I get so much painfull memories in four years of our dating..at least give me the best gift before I really say goodbye to you..” what she said make him taken back..
“Sorry, but I can’t do it to you..”
“If you can’t, then we can break up..”
“Why you did this to me?,” he asked because he feel heavy to do that, “I just want to kiss someone who truly I love..” his words make her more sad.
“Can you say something nice, it could be our last day as a couple..so, say something nice,” after heard that..he feel guilty,
“Sorry, if in these years I often make you sad.., I’ll grant it..your wish..”
Sooyoung just come from her part time, when she saw them talking in park, suddenly she became curious what they talking about,
“Aii..what am I doing right now,” when she is about to leave the park, she saw Sungjae kiss Yerin’s forehead, “what are they doing in middle of night..” then she heard what Sungjae said to her,
“I do that because I feel guilty, I have done bad things to you in these years..at least..I give you one good thing in our last day..” he said..it’s make Sooyoung confused,
“What did he mean by ‘last day’..,” Sooyoung asked to herself.
“Thank you..I know that kiss doesn’t mean that you love me, because you said that you only kiss someone who you truly love..” she stretched her right hand, “let’s became a good friend..thank you for enduring it in these years..,” he takes her hand,
“Sorry for made you hurt so much..” then they smile to each other, Sooyoung still looking at them, she still in confusion with this situation,
“What happen with both of them..?, is that their way to break up?, it’s too sweet if it’s really break up..so different with my break up,” she leave the park and take other way to go home, her feeling mixed up, happy and sad, “should I sad because of their break up?, or should I happy because knowing that Sungjae only kiss someone he truly love?,” she feels strange asking those question to herself, “but, he kiss me when he drunk..then is it count as a real kiss? ahh..what am I thinking”.
After that break up, Sooyoung became more awkward around him, when he asked what’s wrong, she just replied that nothing happen. Sungjae know that Sooyoung still feel uncomfortable around him after his sudden confession, but he still tried to make her believe that he really love her. Until that day, when he really became busy because of so many test, they didn’t see each other often like before..
“I know..if he focusing on something, it’ll turn out like this..but why I feel upset about it, it’s not like this is the first time he is like this,” she said to Sunghwan who sit next to her.
“It’s the first time..after that confession, right?. You are upset right now because you start to realize that you love him too..but you feel that he avoid you,”
“What are you talking about..I love him too?.”
“I’ll give you chance to meet him, and ask him,” she gave Sooyoung two invitation, “it’s our middle school reunion..next month,” Sooyoung open the invitation, “give it to him..then ask him..if that confession is real or joke..”
*
They come together with Sunghwan’s car, Ilhoon drive it, Sungjae sit next to him, Sooyoung and Sunghwan behind them...
“Let’s listen to the music..it’s really awkward when there are four of us in this car but no one start to talk..” Ilhoon said, and play the Mp3, “this reunion it’s special, it’s 2 days 1 night..”
“Special..?, I don’t think so. I think it’ll be like our camping when we were middle schoolar..”
“That’s why it’s special..because we can look back what we have done before..” Sooyoung join in to their conversation.
“And, you can recall what your ex boyfriend had done to you..when you join footbal team camp..” suddenly Sungjae bring up about Minhyuk.
“Why suddenly talking about that,” Sooyoung became angry to him, Sungjae turn his head to face her,
“Should I do that for you?, confess like what your ex boyfriend did before..” he makes her more angry than before, after six months that passed like nothing..they meet again and this is the words that he said to her,
“Do that if you dare..” she said then looking outside car. Ilhoon and Sunghwan just smiling looking at them who often fight like this, both Sunghwan and Ilhoon already know that Sungjae like Sooyoung,
“You just said that..don’t regret it later,” what’s just he said make her afraid that he’ll do it.
“Ah..it’s like newlywed bickering,” Sunghwan’s words make Sooyoung hit her hard.
“Should we leave the two of you in the car. What should we do, Sunghwan-ah?,” Ilhoon joining Sunghwan to tease them. Sungjae just smiling while Sooyoung look annoyed.
In the night they really do what they have done before when they were middle school, they made campfire and make circle around it..telling funny story when they were middle schoolar, Sooyoung look worried, she look at Sungjae who is ready to tell his story..
“When I were middle school there is someone who really close to me..” he said while looking at Sooyoung.
“You still close to her until now..” their friend said, “you come here together..” Sungjae smiling while Sooyoung look nervous,
“What’s wrong with you..” Sunghwan asked.
“I’m worried that he’ll do something stupid..”
“Like confess to you?, it’s not stupid thing then..don’t you waiting for him to do that?,” because of that words, Sooyoung hit her arm.
“It’s not like that..” she denied it, then leave the campfire, Sungjae saw that and he smile.
It’s already late night, there are some of her friends who already sleep, there are some of them who still sit near the campfire and have chit chat while drinking, Sooyoung just look at them from a far, then suddenly Sungjae appear,
“Where are you going?,” he asked when Sooyoung ready to leave, “why are you leave the campfire like that?,” Sooyoung back to her seat, “because I said that I’ll confess to you like your ex-boyfriend?, I won’t do that,” then he sit next to her, give her a glass of warm chocolate, “I don’t like confess in front of so many people like that..I like something more privacy,” he’s grining after said that.
“So, what’s the point telling me that?,” she asked, he turn his head to her,
“I’m telling the person who’ll get my confession to not worried about public confession..because I don’t really like it too..,” then he leave her with a big smile on his face.
*
Sunghwan looking at drunken Sooyoung who is sleep..suddenly she wake up and scream..
“Yah..Yook Sungjae..” Sunghwan look around them..they are in Han river now, people around them looking at them..but Sunghwan know that she’ll say something about her feeling to Sungjae, so she record it with her phone.., “why you did this to me..?.”
“What he did to you?,” Sunghwan asked.
“He make me waiting like this..he should know that I’m waiting for his real confession..but he doesn’t do it till now..” she said, Sooyoung doesn’t realized that Sunghwan recording what she is saying.
“You ever said to me that you kinda afraid if he really do that..then both of you will end up dating each other..”
“Hmm..he’s my friend..and if we dating each other..I’m afraid that someday if we break up, it’ll end up like me and Lee Minhyuk..and I hate it if we end up like that...,” she said all of the things that concern her all this time.
“Then..don’t break up..”
“When you are in relationship..it’s really hard to avoid that..no matter how close you are to your couple..no matter how sweet your relationship is..no matter how much you love each other..we’ll have a fight..and that fight will lead to break up..” she drink once again.
“Yah..stop drinking..you are really drunk right now..” Sunghwan said.
“I want to get drunk tonight...” then she sleep again, Sunghwan looking around them in embarrassement while bowing to the people who looking at them,
“Although, it was really embarrassed..I still get the best shoot..” she is calling someone, “yah..come to Han river..I want to give you something..,” then end the call. Sunghwan waiting for someone to come, “really sorry Sooyoung-ah, I have to do this, if not..both of you will go around like this..forever..” about 30 minutes someone come,
“Yah..what’s wrong with her?,” he asked when he saw Sooyoung sleep with cans of beer around her.
“She became like this because of someone...so that someone must take responsible..bring her home..” she said .
“She became like this because of me?,” he asked, “why?, did I do something wrong to her?.”
“Why are you asking me?, ah, I’ll give you a present..something important..” she said while show him her phone, “should I give you now or later?,” she asked.
“What is that something important?,” he asked.
“Just bring her home right now, I’ll give it to you later..I’ll leave..” Sunghwan leave both of them..after cleaning the table, he look at drunken Sooyoung who still in deep sleep,
“You sleep like a baby,” then rubbing her hair, “did I do something wrong to you?, sorry then if I really did something wrong to you..” he decided to piggyback her, then..
“Ohh..It’s Yook Sungjae..what are you doing?, are you gonna kidnap me?,” she said that out loud, make everyone who near them looking at them strangely, then ask Sungjae what is he doing?,
“She is my friend..and I want to bring her home, she is drunk right now” not long after he said that..she suddenly bite his arm..”ahh..what are you doing?, do that once again and I’ll leave you here..you make me embarrassed and now make me hurt..you’ll get my revenge Park Sooyoung.”
*
Sunghwan still didn't give the video of Sooyoung's confession to Sungjae, until a month..
“Why?,” she pick up Sungjae phone, “okay, I'll give it to you..if you give me something 'wow'..” she said.
“Okay..what do you want?,” he asked to her.
“Boyfriend..” she answer.
“Yah..that's..too much,” he feel her wish too much.
“Then I won't give that video to you..I guarantee that you'll like it..” after heard that..Sungjae decided to grant her wish, “okay..when will you give me that present?,” she asked.
“Soon..because I really want to see that video..I'll set blind date for the two of you..” then end his call..he call someone else right after that, “Yah..Ilhoon-ah, can you help me?,” he asked Ilhoon to come to blind date, “just come, you'll like it..”
“Okay..I'll come then, when?.”
“This weekend..”after confirmed that Ilhoon want come to blind date, he inform Sunghwan the next day that someone will come this weekend to cafe near her college, “just come there..you won't regret it..so can you give me that video?,” he asked, Sunghwan keep silent, “yah..I'm not lying..I'm already set a blind date for the two of you..I'll give you his number then..” he searched Ilhoon new number that Sunghwan doesn't have and send it to her, “just contact that number..” then end his call. Not long after that he got messege from Sunghwan..


Okay, I'll send it then..


That messege really make him smile, and that video make him more happy..
“You should said that to me..why you always say nothing when I asked you why..” then smile once again, “Should I take a move now..”. He prepare to make his second confession to Sooyoung, he want it just the two of them there..as he said before to Sooyoung that he won't do public confession.
*
5 Years later:
Sooyoung POV:
“Wah..having a girlfriend who really love drink.., it’s really hard for me..” a man voice wake me up from my deep sleep. I feel familiar with this voice. I try to open my eyes slowly and someone sit beside my bed with white gown, “are you wake up?,” he asked make me fully a wake, where am I?. I asked that to myself, “you are in hospital, Mrs. Park Sooyoung. It’s emergency room of Yonsei University Hospital.” That man talked agian..after realized that..
“Yonsei university hospital?,” I said then turn my head to look at the man, “why are you here?,” I asked to that man.
“Because I’m a doctor here..an intern,” I just realized that I’m really at hospital right now, and the one who sit beside me is my boyfriend..
“Ah..,” I cover my face with the blanket, tried to hide my swollen face from him.
“It’s too late to cover it now..”
“Why am I here?,” I asked.
“You must reduce your drinking..you still heavy drinker..” his replied not related to my question so I hit him,
“I asked you why am I here..why you gave that kind of replied..?. I’m not heavy drinker.” In my remembrance, when I’m dating him in these years..I never get drunk, I like drink alcohol, but not that much,
“Did you forget that day..when I piggyback you..you said that I wanna kidnap you..then you bited my arm,” ah, that day...I remember about it.
“Could you forget about it, I was emberrassed too..” I beged him.
“I couldn’t forget about it..I have your video..and I won't delete that from my phone,” ah..that video..Sunghwan really make me emberrassed, he still save it in his phone, I beged him to delete it many time..but, “I’ll drive you home..so, get ready in 10 minutes..I’ll get permission from my mentor first,” he said.
“I’ll call Sunghwan..don’t ever do that when this job is more important..” I said while slowly get rid of the blanket from my face and try to look for my handphone.
“But you more important than this job..for me.”
“Don’t said some chessy things..Doctor Yook..just do your job..” I said while typing messege for Sunghwan.
“It’s your boyfriend who said that..don’t you happy when your boyfriend said that you more important than his job?,” he asked while helping me wearing my coat.
“No, I don’t really happy about that,” I’m looking for my high heels, he take it for me,
“Could you wear something comfortable for your foot?, before you get this job you always say to me that you hate high heels..” he complain again, but I’m happy with his complain.
“Because this job want me to wear this,” when I’m wearing one of my high heels, my foot feels hurt, “what’s wrong with my foot..?,” I asked to myself, then he take a look at my foot and massaging it,”yah, the other looking at us..stop it,” I said.
“Why..I’m massaging my girlfriend foot, what’s wrong with that?. Wait here, for now, don’t wear this high heels, your foot sprained last night when you get in that incident,” he leave me and back again with sandal, “wear this,” and give me bread and milk, “eat this..I can’t make a hangover soup for you now, so buy something for hangover on your way home..I'll accompany you up in front of hospital,” I give him okay sign, when he help me to standing, suddenly a nurse come to him and said that his mentor looking for him, “I'll go after accompany her.”
“The patient will come in 5 minutes..so..” the nurse said.
“I'll go by myself, I can walk by myself..don't worry, just go,” I said to him then I wave my hand while walking to elevator..there I meet someone..he saw my foot..
“What's wrong with your foot?,” he asked.
“It has been while, Minhyuk-ssi, ” I said that..because I feel..I can't call him oppa again..,”nothing wrong with my foot..just do your business..then, I'll leave first..” I leave him like that..because I feel that I should do that to him..we broke up in bad way..and I have boyfriend now..so, I shouldn't too nice to other man.
He's now a famous football player, because of his injuries he absent from the match. He get treat here?, could it be..?, Sungjae is his doctor..?.