Trouble

Rainy Day

          Yejin returned to class like nothing happened even though the teacher knew something was up since she was running faster than usual. The class changed courses and they started to play a good round of soccer. Normally, the teacher would force her to participate, but today he decided to let her go and do what she wanted to do the most which was running. She was always an excellent runner. Even during her younger school days. She's fast, focused and has almost perfect stamina. He and many teachers before him had tried to convince and recruit her in the school track; however, she always declined.

 

          As of now, her mind is empty, yet all she could make herself to do was run. Each lap, she pushed herself to go even faster. When she felt like her legs were going to give out, she forced herself to continue. Though her train of thought is empty, her subconscious mind is full.

 

          Soon enough the bell rang and indicated the end of school. The PE teacher rounded up the girls and commented on their participation in class today. Other than saying his usual comments, nothing changed in his short pre dismissal talk.

 

Everyone can go, but Yejin.” He waved his clipboard to school.

 

Is something wrong, sir?” She asked with her eyes on the ground.

 

There's been some talking amongst the teachers lately. What's going on between you and the other girls?” He cleared his throat and spoke in a more soft approaching manner. He was tall and firmly built despite his age. His voice was husky and deep which all together plus his appearance becomes intimidating. He always noticed Yejin in class. Not because of her reputation in school, but her activeness in running. He also had two daughters that were three years junior to her so he tried the fatherly approach in talking to her. However, anyone that has, including her step father, she never bought into their kindness.

 

I'm bullying them.” She bluntly answered, but it doesn't seem convincing to him. Instead, he lets out a hearty laugh and simultaneously shaking his head.

 

You.” He laughed again, “Bully those girls? What a joke.” He wiped away his watery eyes. “Listen kid. I heard about you from Mr. Moon and I've met your mother during several occasions. She's a sweet lady. Mr. Moon also told me amazing things about you. I highly doubt you're the supposed bully. Some of the other staff agrees with me too.” He patted her shoulder. She faked a smile because she didn't believe a word he had said and excused herself from him. “Talk to me if you have any problems!” He hollered after her. What she really wanted to say to him or wanted to lie to him about was being the bully. She wanted to see how he'd react if she acted like she was the bully. Though, since he said those somewhat nice words, she held her tongue.

 

          She entered the gymnasium and into the girl's changing room. Almost all the girls had left, but a few that were slow changers. She grabbed her bag and uniform from her locker and right afterward went to the single stall showers. She stayed under the warm water until she heard all the girls left the changing room. Half of the reason is that she doesn't like being in the change room with other people around and because the water running down her head and back made her feel relaxed. As if the water was washing away her subconscious thoughts and deeper thoughts that are creeping back up at her. She really hates over thinking or thinking of personal topics.

 

          Eventually, her fingers became wrinkly which made her get out of the shower. By the time she left the changing room and school building, the sky was a orangy color representing sundown. Everywhere was quiet. Not even the sound of students playing their sports or teachers leaving the school to go home. No one was around... or so she thought. As she's walking through the school courtyard, towards the school parking lot, someone was following her every foot steps. Her ears were sensitive to footsteps and all her other senses were on high alert. One of the qualities she has inherited when she trained under Sojin. During the time they had trained together, he wanted her to be competent in all the things he taught her before he had to leave her for an overseas deal. He wanted to know that she'll be able to protect herself when he's not by her side. Since it's been a long time that she had to really focus on her hearing, she slowed down her walking pace to make sure she's hearing the footsteps after hers. Each step she got closer and closer to the parking lot. With each step, her stalker followed.

 

          Suddenly, the footsteps behind her came rapidly. Just as she turns, she sees something silver come from above her and then, she sees an arm. She grabs ahold of her stalker's wrist and when her blurred vision became clear, the person holding was, she now recognized was a metal pipe, was Doyeon. She stared at the girl in shock, but the girl's eyes were glassed and dark. Doyeon shoved her onto the ground and she lands on her hands. Yejin winces at her scrapes, but ignored them to try and take the pipe out of the girls hand, but she was already too late. Doyeon took advantage of her vulnerable position and swung the pipe onto her shoulder which knocked her out. Even though her body is limp and unresponsive, her eyes were slightly, but barely open. Her mind was a bit cloudy, though she's able to think clearly with minor slow motions. She could see herself on a man's back and her head bobbing with each step he took. After what seemed like five minutes, she gets thrown into something extremely cold and reeked of metal. She looked around in the dim light to find herself in the back of a delivery truck. In front of her, stood Doyeon with an evil smile and the man who's face was covered. The man climbed into the truck and ties her arms and legs together. She looked closely at the man to see if she can recognize him at all, but his features were masked with a medical mask and a baseball cap. After he was done tying her up, he gagged her with a cloth and taped shut.

 

Perhaps you should stay here for the night. Or...” Doyeon laughed, “Until someone finds you.” She started to breath in deeply and exhale shakily. Her eyes were wide as if she was a maniac. “This is all for Sanghee's sake. You wouldn't be like this if you hadn't messed with us.” She whispered as the man climbed out. With the blurry image of Yejin's attacker, the back of the truck shuts. Though, despite the massive headache forming in her head, she managed to twist her body around so that she can kick the door to make some sort of sound that will hopefully get the attention of any possible passerby. The metallic smell from the truck was starting to get to her as she kept stomping on the door, but this time the smell wasn't like the metal around her. It was... blood. She had noticed something wet running down her collarbone prior to the smell, though she was too absorbed in trying to escape. All strength in her dispersed when the throbbing of her head got worse. She gave in to being trapped and rested on her side. Her thoughts were jumbled up and all she saw was darkness. Absolute darkness. She attempted to prevent any lost memories from coming back to her, but her heart began to race which enabled the flashbacks of her traumatic experience to return.