Familiar Stranger

Rainy Day

          Winter soon came along to the students delight due to the fact winter break was in a week. The rainy season was over and in came the snow; however, to Namjoon's disappointment, the snow is taking it's time with partial snowfalls.

 

Romeo and Juliet was a famous play written by...” The English teacher peered over at Yejin. He squinted at her lack of attention, but tried to ignore her. “William Shakespeare. He was a famous English poet and playwright.” He looked at her again to see her vacantly staring out the window with her head lazily rested on her hand. “For this unit, we will be studying on the context of this tragedy.” He sighed and tossed his book onto his desk. “Lee Yejin. What are you doing?”

 

Teacher. When will it rain?” She responded with her attention still out the window. It hasn't rain in a while.

 

What?” He asks and the class erupts into the laughter. Is she okay?

 

She so weird.” Sanghee whispered to her friend in the desk next to her. Ha, rain? This time of season?

 

It's going to snow.” He told her just as the bell rang indicating the ending of school. “Since you weren't paying attention, you will be cleaning the class room.”He pointed to another girl who smiled in glee. “Hyorin, you can take the day off.”

 

Thanks a lot, Yejin.” She smiled mockingly before leaving with Sanghee. Yejin let out a sigh and went to the closet to pull out the broom, dustpan, gloves and garbage bags. She waited for the teacher to leave before she began to clean. Once he was gone, she pulled on the gloves and rearranged the desks so she can sweep the floors hurriedly and efficiently. As soon as she was done placing the desks back to where they were, she grabbed her things and the full garbage bag. She left after checking in with the teacher and threw the bag of garbage at the back of the school. She walked to the east side of the school to wash her hands in the outdoor sinks. Out of nowhere, drops of rain fell onto her. She lifted her head up at the gloomy clouded sky with a smile, but soon realized it wasn't rainfall. The sound of a hose spraying water comes from the side of her and she turned to see Taehyung holding a hose and partially covering the opening.

 

Why do you enjoy rain so much?” He asked, curiously since he overheard some kids making comments about what she had asked in class. She faced the sky with her eyes closed and held out her arms and hands to touch the 'rain'.

 

I can feel my dad.” She answered and that adds to more of Taehyung's building curiosity.

 

Your dad?”

 

Do you not like the feel of rain?” She countered his question.

 

I don't like it.” He stared at the water falling down on her. She cast a gaze in disbelief, though upon seeing the fake smile on his face, she doesn't argue. “It makes me feel like I have to wait for someone to return to me.” He secretly implied his mom. “Knowing they won't.” He wiped off the sad smile and replaced it with a mischievous one. He directed the water at her and she flinched in surprise. “Like it?” He laughed and continued to water her. “Little flower, please bloom~” He chanted once when a childhood memory came into mind. She ran over to him and attempted to grab the hose to spray him as well, but they end up spraying each other. With his contagious laugh, she found herself at ease and laughing along. To see her bright smile and hear her cute yet rare laugh, he began to feel a fluttering warm feeling in his chest.

 

          After drying themselves off,  they were on their way home until he decided to invite her out to eat. He didn't want this good day end so quickly and a part of him wanted to see her longer.  Like always, she was extremely reluctant, but he figured if he was persistent enough, she'll comply.

 

See you later then!” He waved and walked down the other end of the street. With her eyes following him disappear at the corner, she shook her head and went home.

 

          An hour later, they met up like planned and throughout the entire experience, she wondered why she even showed up. Even though, seeing how he was trying so hard to make her feel comfortable and remembering the other times since the start of school til now, she felt like she should return his actions at least once. They ate at a small restaurant just ten minutes from school and despite the simple traditional meal, it was delicious in both their opinions.

 

          On their way out of the restaurant and towards the street where they separated from earlier on, he rambled on with random stories and endless talking. For the first time, she didn't mind him talking at all. She didn't find it as annoying as before and instead, it was somehow amusing to her. What surprised her was that he still continued to talkdespite her not putting effort in any of the conversation.

 

Look, Yejin!” He shouted mid way into his story of the time he fell and broke his wrist. “It's snowing!” He took a few steps ahead of her and looked up at the winter sky that shone a warm red color. Pure white, glistening snow fell from the sky and gracefully floated down. He breathed out to the cold air and a big grin was on his face. “It's finally snowing!” He chuckled. She walked over to him while with her hands out to catch the snow. She looked up as well and with the dim street light over them, she made out the snow coming from the sky. One snowflake landed on her forehead and she touched the damp area.

 

It's really snowing.” She whispered. She glanced over at his direction to see him circling around in his spot.

 

The snow is late this year.” He commented and suddenly, wiped his hand on her face. She flinched at the cold water and he laughs uncontrollably. “You should of seen your face!” He held his stomach and she playfully lashed out at him by slapping his shoulder. He stood back in shock with an over dramatic look on his face. “Y-You.” He gasped at her and she stared at him with a clueless look on her face. He was in shock by the first skin ship she's done to him.

 

You're so weird.” She uttered and walked off in embarrassment when she realized what she had done.

 

Yejin!” He hollered after her, but she doesn't stop. “Yejin! Yejin! Let's go together!” He grinned and ran after her. A flashy gray Audi stopped right next to the girl. She took a glimpse at the tinted windows suspiciously with her guard up. Taehyung also stopped in the presence of the car. The driver side window rolled down, revealing a little smirk from Sojin.

 

Having fun?” He cheekily asked.

 

Dropping the politeness now?” Her expression becomes solemn. She glanced over at Taehyung who was slowly approaching.

 

Taehyung.” A female voice called from across the street. Yejin and Taehyung both turned while Sojin pressed a button to turn down the passenger side window. There stood a woman all bundled up in a expensive black winter jacket. Her hair was tied back into a bun and pinned with a crystal hair pin. “Taehyung.” She repeated with her hand over . Yejin ignored the woman and watched Taehyung with curiosity. His gleeful face from before was replaced with a troubled one. The glow in his eyes turned dark and his mischievous smile has turned into a tight straight line. His hands were balled up. All in all, he looked like he was about to cry or explode with anger.

 

What's wrong with him?” Sojin asked with his head sticking out of the car to look at Taehyung. Yejin pushed the man's head back inside the warm car and turned to Taehyung.

 

Are... you okay?” She asked, but was unsure of asking . She never thought she'd had to ask someone that question before. Without a verbal answer, Taehyung faced her and smiled like he normally would, but deep inside she knew he was faking it. She felt how hard he tried to make it not obvious that he wasn't okay. He walked over to the passenger side of the car and opened it.

 

What are you...” Sojin said, but stopped himself from finishing so he could observe what was going on. The boy gestured Yejin over and she hesitantly walked over. He helps her into the car and placed her seat belt on for her. With the closing of the door, Taehyung crossed the street and over to the woman. “I guess he wanted me to take you home.” Sojin shrugged and started up his car. Yejin's eyes lingered on and watched as Taehyung and the woman stood in silence.