Reunion

Rainy Day

          Soon later, they arrive at a isolated contemporary house in a corner of a quiet neighborhood. It was black and white in color with only two floors. A tree sitting in gravel was in the middle of the front of the house, splitting between the driveway for the cars and the front door. Above the tree was a small slit window. A black fenced divided the right side of the house and a high white wall on the left. Sojin turned to his Boss in surprise to see that they arrived at his house instead of the hotel they had planned to go to.

 

Yejin hasn't been here either so might as well visit you today.” Boss coolly answered which made the young man quiet. They stopped at the driveway and Sojin got out with the umbrella first to open the door for his Boss, but the older man stops him with the shake of his head. Yejin sneakily got out and tried to escape, but her uncle caught her as soon as the door closed. “Yejin.” He called for the girl and she backs up to the door. “Why don't you live with me? You'll be safer that way.” He suggested, but she stood there with no emotion on her face. “Those girls won't come after you and you'll be safe because I'll have people protect you on a daily basis.”

 

My dad..” Yejin croaked, “Gave you another chance.. why won't you take it and be clean?” She looked down upon him. The sudden words that came out of caught the man by surprise, but he acted like it was nothing.

 

If you don't want to, at least let Sojin be by your side. He's my right hand man after all. Very capable in everything. It's also been awhile since the two of you last met. Don't you say he's grown into a fine young man?”

 

Just because you share the exact resemblance of my dad, doesn't mean I'll listen to you.” She coldly answered. A defeated sigh escaped the man's lips knowing she's still the stubborn little girl he knew.

 

I know.” He agreed with his eyes looking straight ahead. “Leave.” He ordered the driver and the car pulled out. With no reaction, she watched the car drive away and leave her behind under the rain. Her uncle drove away with grief and regret, knowing how his beautiful niece had become like this. Brother, what have I done?

 

         Sojin quietly walked over to Yejin to hold the umbrella over her, but she just takes off his blazer and handed it to him. She turned away to go home, but he grabbed her by the right shoulder. She nearly yelped at the contact, but she bit down on her lip in time.

 

Ms. Yejin, may I take care of your wounds?” He asked, but she doesn't turn around. She grabs her right arm to stop it from shaking.

 

She brushed his hand off and replaced it with her own. “We were never formal with each other so drop your act already.”

 

That was in the past.” He walked in front of her, “Please.” He bowed slightly while keeping an eye on her shaking arm. He waited for a response, but seeing she won't answer he carefully walked her into his newly bought home and walked her up the stairs to where his living room was. He sat her down before getting the first aid kit and a cup of warm water for her. “May I?” He held out his hand and like before, with no response, he took it as a yes. He first cleaned off her muddy hands with wet wipes. He blew on the scrapped areas dry which somewhat stung her, but she held it in. While he worked on her, her eyes wandered around his barely decorated interior. There was the black leather couch they were sitting on, a flat screen TV surrounded by shelves, the glass coffee table with a soft furry white rug under it. The walls had two abstract paintings which was in black and white. It was perfectly fit for the white bare walls. “What do you think?” He asked while cleaning the cut on her face.

 

He got you all this didn't, he?” She asked, referring to her uncle.

 

Boss has changed. He no longer – “

 

He's still affiliated with the mafia.” She cut him off abruptly, “You calling him boss doesn't help him.” She pointed out. If it wasn't clear enough, she had a deep resentment for thugs and gang members.

 

Right.” He bowed his head when he finished. She stands to leave, but he grabbed her wrist. “Miss, where are you going?” She merely looked down at his hand and realizing what he had done, he lets go immediately. She slowly limped around the furniture, but stopped when she couldn't bare the pain in her knee any longer. “Please stay for the night. If Boss was here, he would have my head if I let you go right now. I shall take you to school tomorrow morning. After all, I am your guardian.”

 

With one loud sigh, she turned sideways. “Enough.” She said in a stern tone, “Don't act like you care.”

 

Alright.” He sighed and packed up the first aid kit. “May I ask how you're going to get yourself home?” He looked at her smugly. He leaves the room to put away the kit before quietly walking into his bedroom to grab a stack of clean clothes for her to wear. That's when she also realized she had no idea where she is. He held out the clothes for and she reluctantly took them. After she changed, he went in to the bathroom to help her dry her hair. She turned to face him and stared at him with empty distant eyes as he dried her hair. The intimate action, if seen by others, they might be considered fairly close, but the relationship between the two are rather complicated. The two had met each other a the ages of seven and fifteen. Sojin was very mature and serious for a juvenile while back then Yejin was a happy go lucky type of girl. Now reuniting after their last meeting when she was fourteen, he had come to understand how much the pure girl he once knew has changed. It's as if they both swapped characteristics. She's now apathetic and he has become more outgoing thanks to how she was before.

 

Where did the girl I once loved went? He stared into her eyes to search for anything that reminded him of that girl. Where?

 


 

A/N: How's the story so far? I'm still trying to find the right style haha.