Haunted Past

Rainy Day

          Taehyung didn't want Yejin to leave, but he knew he didn't want her to feel uncomfortable with his family problems. He continued to stare at the woman he hasn't seen in years. He was speechless and didn't know what to say to her or how to begin. He didn't know if at the moment he was angry or hurt inside.

 

Taehyung, it's mom.” The woman croaked with tears in her eyes. He lift his eyes from the ground and looked her up and down. His eyes fall onto the crystal hair pin which made him scoff at how she's dressed. The thought of the other man treating her with wealth made him feel even more troubled inside.

 

          The door handle slowly turned to the side and the door opened softly. The sound of rain hitting the front porch came from the other side of the door and the curious Taehyung walked over. He took a peek from the barely opened door to see his mom standing there almost unrecognizable. From head to toe she was soaked with rain and her eyes were on the floor. He cautiously opens the door and called out to the woman, but she was unresponsive.

 

Mommy? What are you doing?” He tried again and finally, she fell onto her knees and pulled him into a tight hug. “Why are you like this?” He shook her, but all he heard was the loud rain and her soft sobbing.

 

Come in.” His dad showed up at the door again. Taehyung turned his head to see his dad not even acknowledging the fact his mom is crying on his shoulder. His mom lifted her head from his shoulder and wiped away her tears. She stood with a solemn face and walked towards the study room. Taehyung watched as the two adults walked in silently and the door shuts. He hurriedly slammed the door and sneaked towards the study room door. He pressed his ear against the door to hear muffled talking. “Just sign here and here!” He flinched at his dad's aggressive tone. He fearfully stepped away from the door and backed into the wall. Loud crying erupted inside the room to make him flinch once more and also urged him to kick down the door, but something inside him made him froze in spot.

 

          He didn't know how many seconds went by, but eventually the door opened to his mom running out. He chased after her while calling her, but she left him in the rain when she got into a taxi that drove off. He stood in complete shock and in confusion with the cold rain hitting his body without mercy. He couldn't comprehend what had happened so filled with questions, he ran back inside to his dad. Upon walking into the house, he stopped himself from taking a step off the doormat. He knew that his mom didn't like wet mess around the house. Instead, he stood where he was and listened for his dad. Aside from the ticking of the house clock, he heard sniffling from where he had ran from.

 

...Dad...?” He waited for a response. “Where did mommy go?” He waited and waited yet there was still no answer. All of a sudden, a door slammed shut and with that, he knew not to bother his dad. More fear and confusion built up inside him which made him reach for the phone by the door. He dialed his mom's cellphone number; however the operator answered all three calls. He tried her work number, but one of her co-worker answered so he had to end that call. He tried his mom's cell again and this time, a man answers...

 

Taehyung... It's mom... Do you not recognize me?” She grabbed onto his wrist, but without thinking he yanked his arm back forcefully. His abrupt action took her by surprise. “Taehyung... You've grown into a handsome young man.” She tried for a different approach; however he still avoided her physical contact. “Why aren't you talking, son?”She tried to look him in the eye, but he avoided her yet again. Tears were forming in his eyes as well so he didn't want her to see them.

 

I... don't know you.” He answered with his face facing the ground.

 

If you're still angry from before... It's been years, Taehyung. Can you forgive mommy once?”

 

-                          -

 

Thanks for the ride.” Yejin nodded to Sojin as she climbs out of his car.

 

Anytime.” He handed her her bag. “Think about what I said. It's only for an hour.” She gave him a look he didn't accept.

 

I don't have to think about it. I already told you I don't want to attend his conference. All of the mafia leaders are there.” She took her bag from him. “You can go.” She slammed the door as goodbye, but he climbed out of his car.

 

I already told you I will be there, but part of the security team.” He repeated, shutting his door halfway.

 

She sighed, “It's cold.” and walked into the front yard of her house.

 

Yejin!” He shouted at her even though he knows she won't stop. He sighed in defeat and got back into the warmth of his car. In the end, he decided to wait for her answer. If not, he will forcefully take her to the company conference. When will she stop being so stubborn? He asked himself.

 

          She stood at the door to wait for him to drive away and after a few seconds, she heard the screeching of his tires against the wet snow. She jammed her key into the key hole and she was just about to turn the key when the door unexpectedly opened. A man nearly ran her over, but stopped just a few inches before hitting her.

 

Oh, you must be Yejin.” The man smiled and stood to the side. Mr. Lee then came by the door.

 

Welcome back, Yejin.” He greeted her and she nodded in response. The man that nearly hit her backed into the house so she could enter. Yooshin walked passed her and shoved her on the way out the door.

 

See you Dad! See you, Uncle Moochul!” She waved and got into a car that drove up to her. The car was lively inside, playing loud American music.

 

She's going on a date.” Mr. Lee filled her in. She shrugged at and went up the stairs.

 

And, if you see Taehyung, please give me a call, Kang.” Uncle Moochul reminded as he stuck his feet into his shoes. “His mother came back.” He frowned.

 

Definitely! If I hear a word from him, I'll call you as soon as possible.” Mr. Lee confirmed as Uncle Moochul backed out of the door.

 

You don't have to look for him.” Yejin spoke out without thinking. “He... already saw his mom” She told them with the image of Taehyung's face in her mind.

 

That explained why he's not answering his phone.” Uncle Moochul sighed. “Thank you, Yejin.” He barely smiled at her before leaving. It kind of made her feel like what she had said was something wrong.

 

Where did you see him?” Mr. Lee asked when he shuts the door.

 

Near the coffee shop.” She mumbled before heading up stairs. She got into her room without turning on the lights and took off her jacket along with her scarf. After shutting and locking the door, she tossed them aside and laid on her futon. She made herself comfortable and ended up staring at the ceiling. Thoughts of Taehyung filled her mind while she was trying to forget what she seen before Sojin gave her a ride home. Sadly, all she saw when she closed her eyes was Taehyung. How troublesome.